[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when games used to be just fun with simple gameplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

Remember when games used to be just fun with simple gameplay mechanics and simple level design?

I've installed this game today again after many years and it's still more entertaining than open world collectathon garbage that come out today. The reason for that is because it's not filled with unnecessary crap that you don't need, it has a focus on a single objective and you enjoy every moment when you're playing it.
>>
Agreed. Open World game design is a cancer. Fuck Nu-Ubisoft. Give me a new Rayman already, you fucks.
>>
>>380256532
Just play your shit game and shut the fuck up
>>
File: fs11.jpg (228KB, 1336x465px) Image search: [Google]
fs11.jpg
228KB, 1336x465px
>>
>>380256991

>oh no, people are free to express themselves

Grow up, fuckboy
>>
File: elliottreynolds.jpg (218KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
elliottreynolds.jpg
218KB, 1600x1200px
>simple gameplay mechanics and simple level design?
why is this considered a good thing?
>>
>>380257139
Because it is
>>
>>380256532
You literally can't access the final segment of the game without collecting all the jems or whatever the fuck its called
>>
not to mention cursing in vidya is ruining western civilization
>>
>>380256532
>Remember when games used to be just fun
Not really. I don't even play videogames, I just come here for the company.
>>
>>380257139
Because it's just an action adventure, if I wanted deep gameplay mechanics I'd just play an RPG but I don't even really enjoy those because they bore me to death
>>
File: 1484340564211.png (6KB, 297x297px) Image search: [Google]
1484340564211.png
6KB, 297x297px
>>380256532
Is the nigger from Beyond 2 the same person as Beyond 1?
>>
File: 1497063040650.jpg (156KB, 850x854px) Image search: [Google]
1497063040650.jpg
156KB, 850x854px
>>380257101
>free to express
>>
>>380257101
Expressing yourself =/= catering to politicized modern trend and shoving in down people's throats for liberal brownies

Nobody cared about niggers in San Andreas
>>
>>380257209

>2000
>hamburger with plain white bread and a plain slab of ground beef cooked well done
>2017
>buttered brioche bun dusted with seasame seeds with a chorizo sausage and beef patty topped with avocado spread, spicy mayonnaise, lettuce, tomatoes, onion rings, and blue cheese crumbles

Vidya is objectively better today than ever before
>>
>>380256532
>Remember when games used to be just fun with simple gameplay mechanics and simple level design?

Yes. Those times sucked.

>I've installed this game today again after many years and it's still more entertaining than open world collectathon garbage that come out today.

That's because its an exceptionally good game. It was head and shoulders above most of what was released around that time. In terms of the level of thought and care that went into its details there isn't much that matches it.

>The reason for that is because it's not filled with unnecessary crap that you don't need

The game was supposed to be massively bigger than it was and was only so short because of development issues.
>>
>>380257584

Freedom of expression literally means they can do that.

If you think your game ideas are so much superior then make your own games. The free market will decide.
>>
>>380256532
>meh: the game
>>
>>380256532
>The reason for that is because it's not filled with unnecessary crap that you don't need, it has a focus on a single objective

>Photographing wildlife to fill an album
>Hovercraft racing minigames
>Air hockey minigames

Which game did you play?
>>
>>380257284
But collecting was fun in this game anon, it's not marked on the map like in asscreed
>>
>>380256991
BG&E
>orphanage worker and freelance journalist inquires into local disappearances and strange happenings during an alien invasion
>joins a philanthropist freedom fighter team and uncovers a much larger darker plot

BG&E2
>black girl and east london monkey steal from asian pig and blow up a load of police who try to stop them

Ah well, I guess it's time to stop being hopeful
>>
>>380257886
>Photographing wildlife to fill an album
So? You gotta find them all by exploring, not by just going to the place that's marked on the map
>Hovercraft racing minigames
>Air hockey minigames
Nothing wrong with mini games, a lot of games now don't even have them
>>
>>380257502
>Because it's just an action adventure

Aka the deepest genre with the most well thought out mechanics and design.

>if I wanted deep gameplay mechanics I'd just play an RPG
But RPGs are almost all garbage depth wise, only having a ton of fluff mechanics who's complexity usually doesn't matter because it typically boils down to a basic optimization problem + grinding if you're aware of how it works, or a guessing game if you don't. Usually you get a handful of people who are actually willing to analyze the systems to the point that they can write a guide, but extremely few players will need to put that much thought into understanding the details on that level to achieve anything. They can have depth in terms of how they may allow the player to explore the world and interact with the characters and story, but this usually has little to do with the rest of the mechanics and is done better by action adventures.

>but I don't even really enjoy those because they bore me to death

Well of course that's the case and I think I've explained why to a large part. Most of the depth of RPGs is in arcane busywork, as opposed to anything like creative tactical planning.
>>
>>380256532
>fun with simple gameplay mechanics and simple level design
what have we seen so far that makes you think it's being lost?
>>
>>380256991
It's funny because Adorno et al would be against this shit and it's actually the result of capitalism and the culture industry

Why are /pol/ so politically illiterate?
>>
>>380258231
Hol up
wuch you sayin is we wuz pirates and shit?
>>
>>380258568
What do either of your points have to do with the fact that all three of them are unnecessary to the overarching plot of a government conspiracy?
>>
>>380256532
Is that bepop and rocksteady? Did they finally get a game?
>>
>>380258231
>first instance spans an entire game
>second instance spans a 2 minute trailer

retard
>>
>>380258613
is the only rpg you ever played final fantasy? Because that's what you're describing, either that or other cinematic rpg garbage inspired by square
>>
>>380256991
the only thing that stinks is /pol/ trying to corrupt /v/. fuck off stormfags
>>
i'm concerned about lack of animals aside of hybrids in the trailer, first one had a huge focus on wildlife and preservation of species. with violent gameplay the message doesn't fall through
>>
File: file.png (436KB, 404x525px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
436KB, 404x525px
>>380258231
>BG&E
>people fondly remember a plot summary

>BG&E II
>memelords try to conflate the 4 minute sizzle-reel trailer showcasing two characters of the cast with a synopsis because poofy hair triggered them

only thing to lose hope for here is chance of actual game discussion on /v/
>>
>>380258831
That's not the point you dumbass. Side actives are fine when they are kept to minimum and add something new gameplay wise. You do them just for fun, not for the sake of completion.
>>
>>380258946
>>380259208
>BGE has characters constantly worrying about each other while undertaking dangerous missions
>trailer sets the tone of enjoying and glorifying crime while making goofy wisecracks

"but its just a trailer!!!!!"
You show trailers of what the game will be about. You set the tone with trailers.
I don't think that this is what the actual game will be like, but clearly it's what the developers think is GOOD about the game.
Which is worrying.
>>
File: 1460392419214.gif (967KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1460392419214.gif
967KB, 320x240px
>>380257739
Fuck, your post reminds me of a thread on /v/ a few months ago where some normies were advertising their kickstarter campaign """game""" called something Feminazis, where you would just kill different kinds of textbook SJW themed monsters or something. There was no gameplay shown of course, in fact there was only one poorly drawn pixel and yet they thought they could ask for money for it.
I'm bringing this up because the thread was deleted, the Youtube video was deleted, and the Kickstarter page was deleted, everything is gone and I never even got a screencap to post in threads about the kind of people who bitch about black people in vidya, fug.
>>
>>380259645
Police was evil in BG&E 1 and you killed policmen constantly.
>>
>>380259645
>game
>sizzle real trailer
wait
>but muh glorifying crime
literally guaranteed to either not have played BG&E or purposefully choosing to "forget" it's unapologetic, unambiguous anti-extablishment stance to erect a paper-thin facade for the transparent reasons you wish you could openly hate this game for
>>
>>380258974
I've played FF, Chrono Trigger, Baldur's Gate, Fallout, SMT and Pokemon and a ton of ARPGs (which I consider a superior sub-genre since they basically are actions adventures with stats).

Of all of them, Pokemon is the one that requires the most effort to meaningfully master and I've yet to see as good argument as to why the case would be otherwise. Most of the depth in these games revolves around knowing how to best set up your character's stats, abilities and equipment.
>>
>>380259349
It sounds exactly like "unnecessary crap that you don't need" though.

I actually like BG&E. It's just fucking retarded, and wrong, to say that it didn't have unnecessary bits that were thrown in for the player to fuck around with.
>>
>Beyond Good and Evil thread
>Immediately turns into a /pol/ shitter thread

Fuck off /pol/
>>
>>380260165
you played smt, baldur's gate and pokemon and yet party building is not among the skills listed here why?
I mean I don't disagree with you, rpgs are easy because you can mostly just grind yourself retarded and be invincible compared to real time games where you actually need to test your skills, but they're nowhere near as braindead as you're making them sound outside of final fantasy or chrono trigger which just have simple gameplay for the sake of carrying the storyline
>>
>>380259349
how do you define "kept to a minimum"
did you know what your "minimum" was before the first game or did you play it and say "this is clearly the minimum side-actives, I'm glad they kept it to this because from now on anything more than this would be unacceptable"
>>
>>380259907
>I have no evidence this happened but trust me it happened
Great case, bud, I'm sold
>>
>>380261793
No need to define anything, if it's something that's not constantly shoved to you then it's acceptable. But if you let's say explore the map and constantly see icons near you then it's really fucking annoying. Let that shit be hidden somewhere so I can find it and be surprised, I don't have to know that there are some things lying on the floor that I can pick.
>>
>>380262925
sounds fair, guess we'll see if it figures it out
>>
>>380260994
>you played smt, baldur's gate and pokemon and yet party building is not among the skills listed here why?

I never thought to mention it specifically since I considered that covered by the other stuff I've mentioned. I mean obviously party composition matters if everything else is dependent on it.

>I mean I don't disagree with you

I don't really disagree with you either, it's entirely possible to go into massive depth and detail analyzing everything and figuring stuff out in order to write guides on the best ways to optimize everything, but like you said, in the vast majority of cases you can either grind silly to overcome them, or otherwise the most difficult things demand a very specific set of strategies. The only exception to this is in facing a human opponent, and so Pokemon wins more or less by default because nothing else is balanced around that.

They're not all completely braindead by a longshot, but I feel it's silly to go into the genre specifically because you want to play something deep and hard to master, as opposed to a fantasy adventure where you becomes more powerful over time.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.