[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I buy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: xcom.jpg (106KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
xcom.jpg
106KB, 460x215px
XCOM2?

I haven't played any of the XCOM franchise, buy right now its 60% off on steam. Should I buy? I think the concept looks neat and I love strategy games.
>>
Yeah it's pretty good cost to potential hours/content ratio.
I'd pick it up.
>>
>>380228473
I used to hear there was a problem with some sort of timer? Is that still an issue?
>>
>>380228235
>and I love strategy games.
Then play openxcom
>>
I prefer Enemy Within, but 2 is pretty good

>>380228801
The game puts a on time pressure to make your decisions count
You can't stall forever, either in the strategic game or in most tactical missions
>>
>>380228801
Some missions must be completed in a limited number of turns.

There's a mod that doesn't start the timer until you're squad is spotted (I use this, makes it much more fun). Alternatively, you can get one that disables them altogether.

The workshop for XCOM 2 is chopped full of mods too, I'm sure you'll find something that'll make the game more enjoyable.

>>380230780
EW is my favorite too. I still play vanilla from time to time, not sure I'm ready for LW yet though
>>
>>380228801

To provide context, a timer until alien forces show up en mass is on at the start of many missions where you are also "incognito", creating a "X number of turns" challenge to it. Some (myself included) see this as a bit convoluted as how can they be converging on your location if they do not know you are there?

So its a bit of artificial challenge to make the game flow better and so that you cannot completely avoid conflict which is easy to swallow in the game.
>>
>>380228235
Timers are an irritation. They introduced a stealth system, but it's rendered fairly redundant by the fact that 90% of the missions are on too stringent a countdown to actually take take your time trying to sneak around, and even if you manage to, you'll just get yourself sandwiched between two groups.
Other then that it's a decent game. Steam workshop support is a nice addition, easy to go install a few additional classes, customization options, ect, as well as tweaking things like the timers to be more to your tastes. I find a mod that makes the timer not start counting down until your team is actually discovered is perfect.
>>
>>380231593
Once you've completed EW, the only way to get ready for Long War is to play LW and lose.

>>380231797
I find it baffling that the timers tick while you're in stealth.
>>
>>380228235
>I haven't played any of the XCOM franchise
Why the fuck do you want to start with the worst one then
>>
>>380228235
I don't know why but this game fucks up my cpu fan
>>
>>380228801

Some missions(a lot of them in 2) have a limited number of turns in which you can complete them. This is an issue, but it's not a problem, there are multiple mods that change them or remove them completely.

Buy it, play it on veteran on your first playthrough, and if you get the DLCs keep them enabled when you start the campaign, if you "disable" them, you will still get the DLC and get assfucked by the challenge DLC boss battles. The game tells you this, but a lot of people don't actually read it.
>>
>>380232031

Game pace wise, I can swallow it.

For near all other reasons, they should have allowed for proper prep by the playyer, including even the reason of demonstrating such actions in the original trailer.

They should just ultimately keep the challenge of not being revealed more and more difficult as you get deeper into a map.
>>
>>380229726
This. It's a classic and any strategy game fan should play it. It's hard to get into with modern predilections, but certainly worth it.
>>
>>380232526
>>380232031

True Concealment is the best mod.

That said they explain to you in the game that you only have a limited window to get whatever before they leave or wipe files or whatever.
>>
>>380232840
>wipe files
So they're just constantly destroying assets, then?
Because they're doing this shit all over the world
>>
>>380233057

Well i assume it's more like they periodically move them to more secure locations or delete evidence of their secret doings.
>>
>>380233057
The way I justified it to myself is that they detected a big fuckoff dropship in the area and take precautions even if they don't specifically know where you are.They know you're in the AREA, but not exactly where you are
>>
>>380232840

On some, others it was really vague and not nearly good enough.

And yep, the mod is quite popular from demand of it to play out that way.
>>
What are some essential alien games? I'm assuming xcom is one of them
>>
>>380234467

Original Xcom, Xcom Enemy Within, Xcom 2, Area 51, the one released by the US Airforce, not the shitty Blacksite one..
>>
>>380234690
thanks, anon. Been needing a good fix of alien vidya.
>>
>>380234957

If you are going for a bit of spookyness, Xcom 2 isn't really spooky, but the other Xcom games do have that spooky atmosphere, although obviously they aren't like horror games or anything.

In the case of Enemy Within, note that it is an expansion for Enemy Unknown, but it's not like an additional or new campaign, it's basically new stuff for the existing campaign of Enemy unknown, so if you play Enemy Unknown first and then jump to Enemy Within you'll go through the same campaign but with new stuff like new enemies and shit.
>>
>buy xcom1
>shit crashes all the fucking time
Dammit why I just want to play MECs again, shit's more fun than SPARKY.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.