[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I start with RPGs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: Baldur's_Gate_box.png (385KB, 407x494px) Image search: [Google]
Baldur's_Gate_box.png
385KB, 407x494px
Where do I start with RPGs?
>>
>>380226162
in Candlekeep
>>
Tried playing Baldur's Gate 2. Thought at first it was going to be a fun Dungeons and Dragons type of adventure. I loved the character creation, since it was so complex, but the minute I got into the actual game and started hearing the voice-acting which is like a satire of the most pathetic "fantasy" style ever, I knew it would be garbage.

Made it through the first dungeon and got above ground, turned it off, and never went back. It was just awful.

It would be a million times better simply if it was a turn-based game.
>>
>>380226162
There
>>
>>380226751
I don't mind the cheesy voice acting, but CRPG pseudo real-time combat just drives me nuts.
Fallout is probably the only CRPG I can stand to play because it's turn based.
>>
>>380227019
did you consider other turn based rpgs
>>
>>380226751

It's not very good desu

Pillars of Eternity was better.

This isn't a joke. I played PoE, then BG1, then BG2, and had to force myself to finish the series. Characters were one dimensional, voice acting was atrocious, story was cookie cutter chosen one shit, combat was "let the mage handle it" garbage that made me hate DnD - absolutely mediocre in every way.
>>
>>380227971
This man is a faggot, do not listen to him.

You start at fallout 1/arcanum/planescape torment and if you can't finish then or do not enjoy them RPG is not the genre for you. If you finish them you go to fallout 2, Ballers gate the whole series, Icewind Dale the whole series and temple of elemental evil which is a weak entry. If you want to see what faggot think rpgs are play pillars of eternity.
>>
>>380226162
probably in character creation.
>>
>>380229062

I liked Fallout 1 and 2, arcanum, etc. But the Baldur's Gate series is just the most stereotypical fantasy trash, across the board - story, characters, writing, everything. Pillars of Eternity is better; can you really argue against that?
Hard mode: don't just call it a faggot game, if you can hold yourself back for a few seconds.
>>
>>380226162
Start with Fallout 1.
>>
>>380227971
honestly, how was pillars anything but mediocre at best that is ?
>>
>>380229252
Well yeah. It's a fucking stock DnD setting.
>>
Play a cleric
Bitches love clerics
>>
you download it and double click
>>
>>380229370
Characters were more than stereotypes - Eder, for example, or Durance, or Aloth.
The world wasn't the boring trash that the Sword Coast is
The story was more interesting, as it had something real to say about the nature and purpose of faith

This stands in stark contrast to Baldur's Gate, with Minsc, Edwin, the various "we're just here so you can romance us" female characters, and its rather weak and completely forgettable story.
>>
>>380229252
not him but have you even played pillars of eternity?
it's been a while since i played it but the only things that i can honestly say pillars did better was the fast mode of walking which is a really minor thing.
rest of the game is either same level or worse than baldur's gate, especially combat
>>
>>380229737
If that's your issue, why didn't you just make your own in Icewind Dale?
>>
>>380227971
>Pillars of Eternity was better than BG1/2
Holy shit, that's harsh and true
I gave it a good three runs, once as a paladin in 1 then inquisitor in 2, Fighter/Mage multiclass that kind of sucked in 1 but became an unstoppable murder machine in 2, and a solo mage, and I still don't know why I put myself through that agony.
Even fucking vanilla Neverwinter Night's OC was better, and that was another highly lauded garbage heap I can't stand.

Fallout 1 and 2 are pretty gud though. Maybe I'll have to give Pillars a shot.
>>
>>380227971
>LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE LORE

the combat was fun though
>>
Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide and the followup campaign Hordes of the Underarm

NWN2 base campaign and then import that character to play Mask of the Betrayer, which is by obsidian and is the best thing Obsidian has ever made.

Dragon Age:Origins and Awakening are good. Don't play DA2, only ever consider playing DAI if you are desperate for more of the world and lore and don't mind a mediocre to bad game.

Kotor 1 and 2

Play mass effect 1, if you like it play ME2, only play ME3 if you love the game play and are content with the knowledge none of your choices ever really mattered

If you REALLY LOVED Baldur''s gate 1 and 2 consider Pillars of Eternity, despite coming out only a few years ago it manages to be less modern than DAO and NWN2 in game play and style. If you disliked BG1 and 2 you will fucking hate PoE.

Divinity: Original Sin if you prefer turn-based to realtime with pause or can at least tolerate it. Play divinity if you don't give a shit about story or characters and setting in RPG beyond being good setpieces and sources of witty banter, and instead only care about satisfying combat and character progression. If you like D:OS the sequel is coming out shortly and I think preorders can play early access

Planescape Torment if you play RPGs almost purely for the story and enjoy reading and world building and character development and prefer to find alternatives to combat

Deus Ex:Human Revolution if you like multiple approaches to a given problem and want more action oriented gameplay with a set protagonist

Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines if you enjoy games for the atmosphere they create and prioritize immersion and dialogue
>>
>>380229737
i'll give you durance, eder imo was quite stereotypical. aloth i don't remember that well cause i didn't use him.
wait, are you talking about bg1 or 2 cause that world comment doesn't make sense if you're talking about 1, which i assumed this thread was about because of the OP's pic.
honestly, i don't remember anything about pillars of eternity story (apart from the retardation of "they were not gods but they just did godly stuff,acted like gods", which is essentially what a god is), which in my mind makes it uninteresting and mediocre. if nothing stands out, it can't really be that great.
>>
>>380230313
Anything else like Deus Ex and Vampire?
>>
>>380230313
i could agree with this anon, except i would skip nwn 2 base campaign. it really wasn't any good. also i would prolly play both ps:t and D:OS, both have good and bad things about them.
>>
>>380230313
>mentions D:OS but nothing about Divine Divinity
even if it was ok at best it was still fun
>>
>>380230537
now this is a good question.
also anything like arcanum?
>>
>>380229252
pillars has most of the faults of baldur's gate without the excuse of being old as shit
>>
>>380230537
E.Y.E is Deus Ex's shooting and cyberpowering turnt up past 11, while throwing out most of the inventory management and writing.
System Shock 1 and 2 might fit the bill more closely.
>>
>>380230273
?

>>380230316
Eder wasn't just a meathead fighter, like every melee character in the Baldur's Gate series. He was clearly a religious man, deeply troubled by the death of his brother and his god, who covered up his depression and existential angst with humor. The end of his story has him realizing that even his angst about the death of his god was, for the most part, grief over the death of his brother.

I'm talking about both BG1 and 2.

>they were not gods but they just did godly stuff,acted like gods
You missed the point. The point was they weren't in charge of the universe, they didn't shape it or create its laws - they were simply powerful beings. There was no purpose to life, no reason to believe in any of them. The question was (along with "is a sufficiently powerful being god, or does being god require more than just power"), is it better that men and women had the "gods," had reasons to live and assurances about death, etc.
>>
>>380226751
>plays a D&D game
>surprised that it's fantasy
>judges the game by it's tutorial
Really made my gears turn
>>
>>380230537
In what way?

The Witcher 2 and 3 offer the "branching paths depending on what choices you made with tangible consequences for your actions". They also don't have a dumb karma or morality meter judging you for your actions, instead letting you decide whether or not you did the right thing. Witcher 3''s "bad ending" will make you feel even shittier than the kue Jin dumpimg your gullible ass into the ocean

If you want immersion and atmosphere, System Shock 2 and Bioshock 1 and 2 are great for pulling you into the world and making you care about what's going on around you.

Fallout New Vegas is by obsidian and has a myriad of ways to complete the main objective as well as the freedom to ignore it entirely if you so choose, it's also one of /v/'s pet favorites
>>
>I want the gameplay
Icewind Dale 1/2
Divinity: Original Sin
Wizardry 7
Dark Souls

>I want the story
Planescape: Torment

>I want the exploration
Gothic 2
Might & Magic 6
Morrowind
Ultima Underworld

>I want the interactivity
Fallout 1/2
Arcanum
Vampire: tMB
Deus Ex

>I want a balanced package
Baldur's Gate 1/2
The Witcher 3

>I want to be a flaming homosexual
JRPGs
>>
>>380226162
At level 1.
>>
>>380232954
Not in BG2.
>>
>>380226162
What do you want? Story, combat,?

People like to pigeon hole all CRPGs together because they see isometric perspective and think that makes them the same game.
>>
>>380230537
>Anything else like Deus Ex and Vampire?

Closest thing is Alpha Protocol, but still not exactly like those two.
>>
>>380226370
right here
>>
>>380227971
>Pillars of Eternity
http://my.mixtape.moe/eupzzf.mp4
>>
>>380232543
Add Arx Fatalis to interactivity.
>>
File: 1496351419990.jpg (44KB, 615x347px) Image search: [Google]
1496351419990.jpg
44KB, 615x347px
>>380226162
Why not start with Skyrim? It's an excellent game you should pay full price, an addition to all the DLC separately to the Legendary, or Special Editions. By the way, I am not Todd Howard. Just an anon, like you.
>>
>>380233762
Ah yes, the mediocre Ultima Underworld clone that no one played
>>
>>380226751
It's a D&D game, anon. What did you expect?

>It would be a million times better simply if it was a turn-based game.

I'll agree with this, though. RtwP was a move of compromise back in the day to get the RTS crowd interested.
>>
>>380226751
>It would be a million times better simply if it was a turn-based game.
I don't agree with the rest of your post but this is spot on. The combat in these games is utterly woeful. Fixing this one thing would make BG2 an actually good game in my opinion, cheesy acting and all.
>>
>>380226751
>>380234242
The combat in BG is already turn based you dolts, it just automates the end turns. You can disable that in the options so the game pauses at the end of every turn.
>>
File: 1495488729985.png (111KB, 253x389px) Image search: [Google]
1495488729985.png
111KB, 253x389px
>>380233984
>>380234148
>>380234242
>>380234714
DON'T IGNORE ME BUY MY GAAAAAAAAAME
>>
>>380230313
>Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide and the followup campaign Hordes of the Underarm
>NWN2 base campaign and then import that character to play Mask of the Betrayer, which is by obsidian and is the best thing Obsidian has ever made.

I wonder how a modern play could play NWN games. It's like the IE titles, except more fucked up ruleset and early 3D clunk like camera problems, etc.
>>
>>380230815
DOS is pretty much what Larian wanted to make since DD.

>dat feel when publisher interferes and changes your title as well as combat style
>>
>>380226162
Arcanum is imo the best cRPG ever.
>>
>>380234714
Yeah no. It's simulation of D&D rounds is pathetic and you are foolishly mistaking round based with turn based anyway. No turns are taken, it is not turn based in any way.
>>
>>380229062
This man is a faggot, do not listen to him.
You start at Wizardry/Might and Magic/Pool of Radiance and if you can't finish then or do not enjoy them RPG is not the genre for you. If you finish them you go to other wizardy games, Darklands, serpent in the staglands which is a weak entry. If you want to see what faggot think rpgs are play pillars of eternity.
>>
>>380229753

I found combat in PoE was really much much better. Thats MOOOOSTLY because its a combat system designed to be a system rather than a clumsy interpretation of DnDs PnP

Then they were like "you know what fuck this lets make every encounter horrible"
Thankfully TWM encounters are godly
>>
>>380236812
You could have done this post so much better.
>If you want to see what faggot think rpgs are play any of the point & click rubbish he recommended.
How hard was that?
>>
>>380226162
Baldur's Gate I, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment.
Start from there.
It's old school, but it's still the best RPGs you could ever hope to play, because it was REAL RPGs.
>>
If you're older than 30, it's very likely you'll think to Pillars of Eternity as mediocre, at best.
>>
Wait, wasn't PoE Path of Exile??
Did Pillar of Eternity fags stole yet another thing that didn't belong to them in the first place?
>>
>>380237601
I'm 27 and I was deeply disappointed with it
>>
>>380230313
I loved the BG saga to death back in the day, still played it for more than a decade after that, but really, really disliked PoE. And I'm not alone in that, all the irl people who I know played the saga at least once and that also played PoE were really all let down after playing it.
What now?
>>
>>380238132
see
>>380227971
>>
>>380238304
You're actually a retard, right?
Read this
>>380230313
and then this
>>380227971
again.
Retard.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.