[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vidya Journalism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9

File: PaulKrugmanIsCool.jpg (218KB, 693x450px) Image search: [Google]
PaulKrugmanIsCool.jpg
218KB, 693x450px
How would you fix vidya journalism?

What's stopping a respectable paper like the nytimes from filling that void?
>>
In the age of the internet we don't need videogame journalists anymore.

Any developer or publisher could keep people up to date with regular updates, demos and videos.
>>
>>380065943
>How would you fix vidya journalism?
This is hard. Its weird, I cannot find a reviewer or website I relate to.
In board games theres boardgame geek and stuff like the dice tower with good info. while its the internet, the community seems to be non-cancerous.

however, with video games, the online community as a whole is terrible.
>>
>>380065943
>fix vidya journalism
It needs an investigative angle and some mechanism to stop publishers from blacklisting publications as that's what turned it into a brainless industry cheerleader.
>>
>>380068207
So you don't need news because the information is already available? What about the analysis?

>>380068585
This. So much this.

>>380068751
Maybe external regulation? A bill regulating the relationship between companies and press?
>>
>NY times
>respectable

lmao a bunch of snobby jew sjws what could go wrong
>>
>respectable paper
>nytimes

kys you piece of shit.
>>
>nytimes
>repectable
I'd take IGN over NYT any day.
>>
>>380069017
>This. So much this.
If you go to steam reviews, and look at stuff like pcmr and pc gamer. Have you noticed they aprove EVERYTHING? I find this extremely unhelpful for game reviews.
Also on pc gamers website, it seems like they review everything positively.

with this I resort the hivemind of /v, sometimes metacritic, and a few friends who actually know their shit.
>>
>get rid of op-eds, you guys use mediums nowadays
>Stop thinking every videogame has a message. Nah, they're just trying to sell you a game.
>Stop giving scores to games. State the pros and cons, and that's it.
>>
>>380069538
>Have you noticed they aprove EVERYTHING?
>they

only i vocal minority posts reviews on steam. Both ways. Just watch the game on twitch for a few minutes before deciding to buy it OR use the fucking refund feature of steam.
>>
>>380069538
There are some minor reviewers that don't do that. There's one that's called "It's shit" and he's very critical.

>>380069875
Removing the score? I don't know. Numbers are necessary for comparisons.

>>380069110
>>380069172
>>380069228
/pol/ is leaking. I bet you prefer performance artist, and guy who can't keep custody of his own kids, Alex Jones.

Anyway, congratulations. At least two of you spelled "respectable" correctly.
>>
File: 1480902796337.jpg (25KB, 125x600px) Image search: [Google]
1480902796337.jpg
25KB, 125x600px
>>380065943
>NYT
>Respectable
>>
>>380070826
>muh /pol/ bogeyman
>>
NYT is fake news trying to sabotage our president
>>
>>380070826
>/pol/ is leaking
>nytimes was exposed multiple times as fake news outlet
>respectable

Are you retarded? I'd take any shitty gaming site over them. At least there i know who is likely to be behind the (((review))).
>>
>>380071256
>nytimes was exposed multiple times as fake news outlet
Source?
>>
>>380070826
>SOMEONE HAS OPINION! IT MUST BE /POL/! SHUT IT DOWN!
>>
>>380065943
>NYT
>Respectable
>>
>>380071236
He's not my president. I am literally European and the world laughs at him and his self sabotage.
>>
>>380071463
>fbi is investigating trump russia ties nyt claims to know form "sources"
>comey said there never was a trump investigation

were you living under a rock?
>>
Why the fuck is so easy to trigger /pol/tards?

>>380070826
I would approve about removing the score. That way they would really need to explain with words why it's good or bad, not just slapping generic mumbo jumbo and calling it a 9.
>>
>>380072086
They are investigating the Trump campaign, not Trump personally. If you believe Trump is somehow fit for office you must be the one living under a rock. The guy doesn't know shit about anything, and his record so far proves it.

More importantly, he's a narcissistic fool that can't deal with reality and is dragging politics to the mud. He won't admit the actual size of his inaugural crowd, and that was clear to see for everyone. How can anyone, let alone our allies, trust him on anything?
>>
>>380070826
True, but people always go to the score first before reading why the person gave it that.
Remember when Killzone 2 got a 7, and people got mad, despite the fact the reviewer enjoyed it?
Remember when Ign (or was it Ign uk) gave Uncharted 2 a 9, and people got mad because "muh PS3 masterpiece."

Anyway, yes, scores can easily convey what the reviewer thinks about the game, but readers take it at its face value.

>Honestly, just make a review system of "like it, rent it, or skip it."
>>
>>380072573
>They are investigating the Trump campaign, not Trump personally.

Yes BUT NYT was reporting that TRUMP is under investigation. The definition of fake news.
>>
>>380072573
>7 months later
yep, still mad
>>
>>380072573
>BLUMFLESTILTSKIN GETS TWO SCOOOOPS???!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
File: Big_Boss_(MG2).gif (1KB, 64x96px) Image search: [Google]
Big_Boss_(MG2).gif
1KB, 64x96px
How can you expect a reviewer to be honest when publishers will blacklist and cripple them for giving any real negative press? The circlejerk and shilling was inevitable.
Another reason it's so terrible is that the industry itself is in the gutter. Note how as you go back in time to when video game quality was consistently higher, so too was the journalism reporting on it.
Everything slowly slid into a corporate and political cesspit.
As suits took over, they brought their soulless tactics like the blacklisting with them. How dare the critic point out your flaws or how your product is a stupid COD cash-in clone, you've got a profit to make shareholders to please!
As the political activists took over, it became about developing and reviewing things based on ideologies instead of the features as a fucking video game. No, this game won't get points docked off of it for having an empty overworld. It gets points docked for problematic behavior!

So how do we fix this? We don't. The damage is too deep and widespread. Even if the mods didn't kill "that" and it didn't get twisted/subverted into an aimless political thing, it still wouldn't have stopped the roots of the problem.
All we can do is pray that the mainstream Western industry crashes, burns, and actually stays dead unlike the last time.
>>
>>380072973
You've convinced me. Numeric scores are not a good way of assessing a game. Specially since that game might be subjectively more desirable to one or another person.

>>380073135
I'm not the one that got instatriggered upon calling the Times a respectable paper. You faggots """won""" and are still salty as fuck because your conman president can't deliver because... well, you know, he's a conman.

You got what you wanted. You've ruined America and to some extent the whole world. Enjoy it and quit bitching about his self inflicted wounds and crises.
>>
>>380065943
Journalists are scum, destroy all journalists.
>>
>>380069017
>What about the analysis?
Communities handle analysis, as they do now, or are you suggesting game reviewers are providing anything resembling analysis in this day and age?
>>
File: frog.jpg (130KB, 388x388px) Image search: [Google]
frog.jpg
130KB, 388x388px
>>380065943
By actually hiring people with a fucking degree in journalism.
It's that simple.
>>
>>380065943
ur dumb fag
>>
>>380072573

*$0.10 have been deposited to your Shareblue account.*
>>
Normal journalism is just as bad, frankly. It's just in bed with politicians and big business, as opposed to a bunch of vidya companies.
>>
File: Z5tbZCG.jpg (208KB, 786x720px) Image search: [Google]
Z5tbZCG.jpg
208KB, 786x720px
Go back to all the politicizing and just go full shilling like the old days. So basically, be like how Famitsu still is.
>>
>>380065943
Theres no fixing it. You have to cater and pander to your target demographic or you will be fired.
>>
>>380073864
A man can dream, can't he?

>>380073901
It's not that simple. Quality would improve, but the problems are systemic.

>>380074165
I disagree. That's the good thing about press. You can buy a few big cheeses, but not all the press. They're too many and have other motivations.

>>380074447
Would you really like to go back there?

>>380074528
I underestimated their trigger potential. My bad.
>>
>>380075563
What's the line between delusion and dream?
>>
>>380065943
Rral journalists would never write about videogames. 99% of "game jourbalism" is just advertising to begin with, there is no news aside from game announcements and dev Twitters are enough for that
>>
>>380065943
With regards to vidya """journalism""" only breaking news from leaks matter, and leaks are taken care of by twitter eggs "leaker"

Everything else is just hidden corporate shillery. Like you don't expect to be a good journalism ethic from a fly fishing magazine, they're just shilling products from their corporate overlords
>>
>>380075891
A dream has a potential to become reality. Delusion is created to avoid reality itself.
>>
>>380074528
They really are something else
>>
>>380074528
Nice argument faggot
>>
>>380071498
Poltards have very obvious tells, like crying about (((jews))) and calling anything that isnt breitbart "fake news", or the simple fact that they derail threads over the dumbest shit like the simple reality that the nytimes is a publication respected by the entire world
>>
File: salt-and-incompetence.jpg (452KB, 1600x901px) Image search: [Google]
salt-and-incompetence.jpg
452KB, 1600x901px
>>380076969
How about this one? Someone so flawed shouldn't be allowed to act as commander in chief.

Now fuck off or discuss vidya.
>>
>>380065943
Paul Krugman is the opposite of cool
>>
>>380072086
But polfats told me comey is a liar cuz trump dindu nothin?
>>
>>380075563
>You can buy a few big cheeses, but not all the press. They're too many and have other motivations.
Didn't every single mainstream outlet jump to the CIA's defense and destroyed a journalist's career, eventually causing him to commit suicide, when he outed their drug business back in the 90s?
When it really counts, all the big cheeses are indeed bought. Only little people with shallow pockets have to worry about not buying them all.
>>
>>380077483
I agree. He's quite hot.
>>
>>380077152
Prove your allegiance or world view, prove your relevance. Full stop.
>>
>>380077748
The press take on establishment figures all the time, just look at how they dealt with nixon
>>
>>380077960
I wonder who Nixon pissed off to get the attack dogs called on him.
>>
File: 1486763692462.png (365KB, 821x516px) Image search: [Google]
1486763692462.png
365KB, 821x516px
>>380065943
nothing cool about idiocy.
>>
>>380079361
He can't see the future, so he's an idiot by your standards. You /pol/ tards can't even see reality even after months of confirmation. What do you call yourselves? """Redpilled"""?

How's that working for you? For your meme president?
>>
>>380077464
Those are taken at different times of the day idiot.
>>
>>380079861
An economist who can't see into the very broad general future of the economy is a shit economist.
>>
File: 239345638444.jpg (10KB, 236x247px) Image search: [Google]
239345638444.jpg
10KB, 236x247px
>>380079861
confirmation using inaccurate or entirely biased sources. unwad your panties and fucking step back from your own world view you faggot.

>Oh /v/ I'm so innocence and pure, my opinion is the reality of the situation

git outta here
>>
>>380077960
>When it really counts
Just so you know, presidents are mostly figureheads. They're expendable. Intelligence agencies started running the show after Kennedy was shot.
>>
>>380080146
>>380080573
He would never count two Trillion dollars twice when making a budget, though.

Rings a bell?
>>
>>380080880
>confirmation using inaccurate or entirely biased sources.

faggot, I could literally just fucking ignore your responses all day cause you're a faggot with data .
>>
>>380080880
nice strawman but i think you need to go back >>>/pol/
>>
>>380081114
The point still stands that predicting the future of a disruptive technology is far from trivial and that Trump is an idiot who couldn't find a 7% ROI even if he had brunch with Jack Bogle every day.

The fact that you sit all day shitposting online doesn't mean the impact of the internet was clear in 1998. What is clear is that that old orange conman has hooked you good and managed to fuck everyone in the butt, even himself.

He just wanted the prestige of being president and now he's showing how big of a fool he is to the entire world.

You can come to terms with that or keep doing damage control. It doesn't matter, since we're stuck with him for almost 4 years unless republicans grow a spine and put someone competent in charge. But that's a long shot.
>>
>>380065943
They need to actually be independent from the companies and people they are supposed to cover. Way too many of them are in bed with the corporate side for free games and early access.
>>
File: 1486099111519.png (234KB, 368x475px) Image search: [Google]
1486099111519.png
234KB, 368x475px
>>380080880
>>380079861
EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS TRUMP
>>
>>380079861
>>380080880
S-surely their disagreement means they support Drumpf?
>>
>>380065943
>>380081991
This might be a crazy idea, but bear with me.

What about doing it ourselves? We won't get the same treatment as lapdogs, but you don't really need to buy games on release, so people can wait until the /v/eredict is out.

Wouldn't a /v/ sanctioned publication have to come from /v/ itself? What do you think? Pipe dream or idea worth exploring?
>>
>>380081858
>doesn't source anything

dude, I'm just going to keep calling you a faggot till you post data so I can judge your ability to source... faggot.
>>
>>380081858
>the future of a disruptive technology
>the internet in 1998
ok child listen here, the internet was a big deal in 98. all the competent economists who actually do research were already documenting how it was advancing the economy and had massive cresting industries.
Krugman meanwhile in that quote is being a contrarian faggot in some 98clickbait so he could give NYT yuppie readers some tight quips for their evening out.
>>
>>380082828
If you really want sources on "Trump is an incompetent fool" I'd recommend his tweeter feed or simply looking at all the half baked policies, like pulling out of the Paris Climate accord out of spite.

>>380082914
Then he was just being contrarian on 1998. Even Nobel economist make mistakes. Not as fucked up as electing to office a manchild, but it was quite glaring, ok.
>>
>>380083573
>continues to spout unverified information and statements without a proper link or pastebin.

It's really simple anon, data in exchange for civil discussion. You keep giving opinions. nigger I don't give a shit what you think. Verify your statements. All I'm doing is call you out for the lurkers.
>>
>Oh, this thread looks interesting.
>Some responses.
>/pol/ comes out of the woods.
>autistic screeching.

I thought that once elected you would stop being such fucking triggered faggots and stay in your echochamber. Can't you fuck off to your containment board?
>>
>>380079361
Wasn't that right around the time the first bubble burst? Kinda understandable.
He's a moron for not realizing that despite people having nothing to talk about it doesn't stop them from talking, the internet is 90% white noise.
>>
>>380083573
>Krugman gets rekt
>brings up Trump to defend precious Kruger
>no one takes the bait
>Krug gets double rekt
>"but what about DRUMPF"
I'm quoting Donald on this one.
"SAD!"
>>
>>380084284
Ok. Trump is not an idiot. He's just playing 4D Chess like the brilliant Kasparov he is. Thanks for the heads up, enlightened Trump supporter.

>>380084406
It's certainly sad to be so out of touch with reality. I bet you even believe his marriage is happy and not a mere front. Truly sad, anon.
>>
>>380074528
>Comey said under oath that NYT is bullshit
>MUH /pol/ BOOGEYMAN
The former director of the FBI wouldn't lie, would he?
>>
>>380084984
please take your LARPing back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>380085906
for real, nigger can't even source a single letter.
>>
>>380086064
What about Trump calling the travel ban on twitter a travel ban when the whole DoJ case was trying to make was "it's not a travel ban"?

Can someone explain that 3D chess move to this poor, bluepilled liberal?
>>
>>380085358
unless he did lie, which makes the belly aching a moot point, an if he didn't lie, it also points to the wasted time over the last 6 months. It's like "Motherfucker, which is it?"
>>
Thumbs up/thumbs down rating system
Reviewers show proof they've played through the game
Reviewers all show a resume showing the video games they've played
Equal attention showed to AAA games as indie games (and not AAA devs masquerading as indie)
Shit gets called out for what it is

PCGamer back in the day was pretty based.
>>
>>380086064
>>380086367
>>>/pol/ back to your containtment board.
>>
>>380086923
Just source your shit dude, stop bitching. I wouldn't have even bestowed a (you) on you if hadn't done that. Fucker lamer.
>>
>>380079904
No. Go on YouTube and find the timelapse video of the inauguration. I'm tired of doing it myself to help retards like you
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.