[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are games easier than they used to be?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35KB, 400x400px
Are games easier than they used to be?
>>
>>380031305

was he /ourguy/, v?
>>
>>380031305
Its certainly ironic that something like Super Mario Galaxy is harder than Call of Duty or Assassins Creed games.
>>
>>380031404
He was sent to jail for cp, of course he is.
>>
Things tend to get easier as you age. Especially if you've been playing for 30 years in your momma's basement.
>>
File: 1385101506742.jpg (903KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1385101506742.jpg
903KB, 2560x1440px
>>380031305
Can't comment on actiony titles and consoleturds, I focus on old PC RPGs.
Last year I played the following for the first time:
Ultima IV, Ultima V, Wizardry V, Wizardry VI, Might&Magic 4-5, openxcom, Pool of Radiance.

Firstly, pretty much all of them absolutely required you reading the fucking manual. It was refreshing, really, as there was no shitty tutorials and linear corridors for 2 hours straight in the beginning. And this allowed to make some of those games pretty complex.

Next, the main difficulty which modern "gamers" could be facing when playing those games is UI. Game difficulty and shit UI are so commonly conflated that you basically can't trust anyone on the web, especially /v/. Pool of Radiance was absolute shit in that respect, I struggled with the shortcuts even when I kinda got the hang of it.

Finally, the actual difficulty. Those games offer no handholding even if you read the manuals. The freedom it offered me in, say, Ultima IV or XCom (mechanical or exploration-wise) is absolutely incredible. It was challenging to figure out what the fuck am I supposed to do in many of those games, but it was so rewarding to see that I got something right.

Might&Magic 4-5 is pretty much the casual pleb outlier from that list, and even then you can fuck up really bad if you don't pay attention.

And you had to make your own notes. It is anecdotal, but afterwards I played Witcher 3 and couldn't help but cringe seeing the quest compass while my notes for Wizardry dungeon layouts and Britannia maps/moon phases were lying nearby, with quests and dialogue bits hastily written here and there.

That's just one year, don't get me started on things like Elite, Master of Orion 2/3, Siera/LucasArts games which all posed quite some challenge compared to modern shovelware. For the record, I am 22.
>>
>>380031305
yep, you can tell cuz /v/ is full of casuals and they shill casual games
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.