[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Monster Hunter original PS2 game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Monster_Hunter_Coverart.png (201KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
Monster_Hunter_Coverart.png
201KB, 250x354px
Is this worth playing?
>>
>>380013448
>Attacks are mapped to the right stick

No way
>>
>>380013448
no its aged like milk
>>
>>380013448
Since I doubt anyone on this shitheap of a board will answer your question, no, the original Monster Hunter is a load of dogshit. Play Freedom Unite, 3U, and 4U. Would recommend 4U as the best starting point, although the 3DS controls are pretty wonky.
>>
>>380013448
No. It's clunky as fuck and there's really nothing it has that the newer games don't do better. I recommend Tri, and 4. Generations is also great, but not for everybody.
>>
>>380013448
if you want to yell out loud at your tv, yes
>>
>>380013773
If you have N3DS or circle pad pro the controls are fine
>>
>>380014364
I played through the entirety of 4U on a 2DS, it took a while getting used to the controls. It's still probably my favorite MH game though.
>>
It's the best one.

Good starting point to, just the right amount of difficulty.

Get a Mono blos Heart, and solo Four Horns.
>>
File: IMG_20170602_004339.jpg (54KB, 885x724px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170602_004339.jpg
54KB, 885x724px
>>380013616
>attacks are mapped to the right stick
>>
>>380014609
That's actually really impressive
>>
It was great at the time when online was around, the psp ones only had local multiplayer so it was nice.
>>
>>380013448
Fuck no, it's super outdated and not representative of the series going forward. It also has some online content that is no longer accessible.

If you want the ye olde 1st gen MH experience, at least play MH Freedom on PSP. Did you know they didn't add Greatsword charging until 2nd gen? In first gen all you're stuck doing is awkwardly flailing the thing while standing in place. The advent of charging completely changed how that weapon type is played.
>>
It's the only MH I've played, I had some fun for some hours but It's a pretty grindy game (I guess its the same for the rest of the series)
>>
>>380013616
Ape Escape did it well.
>>
>>380015792
The entire series is based around the grind. However, each game improved the game mechanics to make things more different and fun. More weapon types with different playstyles, overhauling weapon types that sucked (GS in 2nd gen, Hunting Horn in 3rd gen), it makes the grind a bit less of a problem because there's more variety in the main game.
>>
>>380015413
I'm a CB user, the attack arcs are pretty generous and the guard points/shield gave me a lot more breathing room. I mostly just used lock on, only real difficulty came in landing Super/Ultra bursts reliably.
>>
Download a PSP emulator and play Freedom Unite for the definitive 'old school' MH experience, the games got a bit easier and less gritty from 3 onwards.
>>
>>380015792
Outside of maybe the MMO's, none of the following games are as grindy as MH1.

A few items had such a fucking retarded drop chance.

God damn did it take me forever to get Dragon Armor and Eternal Annihlator.
>>
>>380015973
>>380016586
Good to hear, I'll try another one in the series then
>>
>>380016586
And the beauty of it is, the Eternal Annihilator is totally fucking pointless (in 2nd gen at least) since they added the charge mechanic but charging didn't effect elemental damage.
>>
>>380017668
It could be argued it was even pointless in MH1.
Red Dragon Sword was comparable with far far less effort.

Even though it had a very negative reputation because of it.

EA looked badass though, but wearing it along with Dragon Armor just got you unwanted attention, because of how easy it was to cheat in that game.
>>
>>380013616
>>380013691
>>380013773
>>380013796
>>380013934
>>380015786

Fucking casuals. i started out on Uno. Yeah the newer games have more content but it's not all for the best. This is worth playing simply for the experience.
>>380013448
It is a piece of history and you'll get to see how it all started.
>>
>>380013448
No, saying that as someone that actually started the series with it back when it came out

Start with MHFU, MHF if you absolutely want to play the earliest good one
>>
>>380019892
No, I started with the original on PS2 also. I just think the later generations are a better experience, especially going forward. I much prefer charge-sniping with the GS compared to what it used to be like without the feature. Some of the later weapon types like Longsword and Hammer are also pretty fun if the basic weapon types weren't doing it for you.
>>
>>380020913
The original post is just "is it worth playing?" not where should I start. Of course the game is worth playing. I agree with you in that it's not a good starting place as it could turn a new player off of the series, but it is still WORTH playing.
>>
>>380021078
It's worth playing like the first few quests to get an idea of what they initially were going for with right stick attacks, but not really worth playing all of it especially since it's missing content due to the online not existing anymore. If you want the 1st gen experience it makes more sense to play MHF at least.

Like the only reason I can think of to play OG PS2 Monster Hunter is to check out the funky right stick controls.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.