[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Shadow of the Colossus?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

Is it overrated or does it deserve the hype?
>>
>>379832063
it deserves the overrate
>>
never played it, but I'll chalk it up as shit.
>>
It's minimalist game design done right.
>>
>>379832063
It's awesome. Maybe the best scenery and soundtrack of any game i've ever played.
>>
>>379832063
SoTC is easily in the top 5 best games of all time.
>>
Poor man's Dragon's Dogma
>>
My peenus weenus
Haha
It's my peenus weenus, hahaha
My peenus
My weeenus haha
>>
A cinematic game done right, that is to say, it's a well-produced game with a plethora of grand moments which you remain in control of, as opposed to being forced to watch bits of a movie between boring gameplay (every other game).
>>
>>379832285
>Minimalist
It has a big loud HUD and an obnoxious hint system. Minimalism in videogames is stuff like Pong or Tetris where there's no representation and you're playing as yourself instead of as some character.
Really I don't see how you would ever think of SotC as minimalist.

>>379832572
Another World does it better, but not as "epic!"
>>
>>379832063
Overrated
>>
>>379832063
It's a pretentious indie art """""game""""" for nu-male antifa hipsters
>>
>>379832063
its a masterpiece and one of the most unique games ever (i mean this in the cinematography and the atmosphere aspects of the game)
>>
>>379832651
>Another World does it better, but not as "epic!"
Lmao you fucking autist
>>
>>379833463
I am directly referring to "A cinematic game done right" because holy moly does SotC adhere to a formula. The pattern of ride-find-mount-stab-cutscene is the antithesis of cinematic. SotC has the pacing of Mega Man. That's not cinematic. Sure it has neat little moments but describing it as a whole "a cinematic game" is wrong.
>>
>>379832063
It's a game that was way ahead of its time. I recommend it to anyone who's looking for something more unique in games and they always end up being highly satisfied.
>>
>>379832813
Why can't /pol/ leave /v/ alone bros? What did we do to deserve this cancer?
>>
File: 1496768533625.jpg (71KB, 384x313px) Image search: [Google]
1496768533625.jpg
71KB, 384x313px
Remember when there was supposed to be a movie based on it?

Haven't heard new information in years.
>>
>>379834070
To be fair I think that was meant to be ironic
>>
>STILL no decent fps on emulator

FUCK this world
>>
>>379834173
Probably for the best. A game like SotC can't really be translated to a movie format.
>>
File: 1493310327665.png (33KB, 170x273px) Image search: [Google]
1493310327665.png
33KB, 170x273px
>>379832063
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPd3PtQBZc
>>
>>379832651
>It has a big loud HUD and an obnoxious hint system.
Did we play the same SotC ?
>>
>>379834572
I played it on an emulator, anon. Never had the game on ps2
>>
>>379834894
How the fuck did you play it with 15-20 fps?

>inb4 i7 4.7 ghz
>>
>>379835013
I don't know, desu it was on a laptop too.
with a fucking Geforce 540M or some shit.
what emulator did you try?
>>
File: .jpg (27KB, 640x441px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
27KB, 640x441px
>>379834821
>Let's have a health bar, even though the game is not very challenging and it's pretty hard to ever actually die, and there's no real health management. Oh also this health bar should appear at all times during fights, even when it is at 100%! Also, it should grow longer than the Kingdom Hearts health bar and just stretch across the screen and generally look ugly
>The grip gauge should also get big and obstructive too. Yup, no way to make this element cleaner and less intrusive (cough cough botw cough)
>Wait, hold on, how will the player know what weapon they're holding? I mean, Wander is holding the weapon, but when does the player ever look at their own character? Never, right? We need a tacky little SWORD and BOW icon. Just like Zelda lol
and then
http://teamico.wikia.com/wiki/Dormin%27s_Colossus_Descriptions_and_Hints
>>
>>379835376
pcsx2 obviously
>>
>>379835561
the hints get more cryptic as the game progresses, I see nothing wrong with this.
I also believe that if you're fast enough, you don't get to see hints? I could be wrong but I have no memory of these hints at all.

Also the HUD consists of literally 4 things. Room for improvement? yeah sure. but comparing it to fucking BotW (a game which is 12 years older and came out TWO generations later) is just unfair.

I'll give you the players healthbar though, it has no real meaning other than maybe to drive up stress.
>>
>>379835864
>comparing it to fucking BotW (a game which is 12 years older and came out TWO generations later) is just unfair.
I was literally only referring to that game's stamina gauge, how it uses rings. Something they very well could have implemented. BotW probably has a worse HUD overall though, even with pro mode.
>>
>>379834173
But it did get a movie. It was called Reign Over Me
>>
>>379832285
It's a barebones adventure game with nice atmosphere and boss fights. I like it.
>>
The game is overrated.
It's an incredibly unique and singular experience but it's also one that has plenty of flaws. I think Sony fans desperately wanted something to be THEIR Ocarina of Time and just clung on to this game instead of something better like FF7 or MGS2/3
>>
>>379836463
Didn't mean to reply to.
>>379832285
>>
>>379832063
overrated, but the ideas behind it are top notch and seeing how dragon's dogma clearly took a great idea from it, it has been a positive influence to the games industry
>>
Fantastic concept but flubbed execution. I for one can't fucking stand navigating the barren open world and hate the brown n bloom visuals.

Beyond that, it's a game of all bosses but a few of the bosses are awful.
>>
>>379834676
It can if they put love into it.
>>
>>379833715
Just because it uses a formula doesn't mean that it's boring. I liked most of the colossus designs, the music was always top notch, and the game was fun to play.
>>
>>379839265
Who called it boring?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.