[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are the witcher books worth a read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 14

File: 1469549500360.png (453KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
1469549500360.png
453KB, 636x358px
Are the witcher books worth a read?
>>
they're based on the best RPG games of all times, so yes
>>
Yes, but if you're a Trissfag or a fan of Roche you'll probably be let down because they're not in the books.
>>
First of all, no.

Second of all, I assume you're only interested because of the games. The books have nothing to do with the plot of the games
>>
Read real books like Mistborn
>>
The first two short story compilations are genuinely good regardless of their ties to The Witcher, the actual novels start off mediocre and get progressively worse - not worth a read unless you've already played through each game multiple times and you absolutely need more.
>>
>>379829465
>Triss
>not in the books
anata baka?
>>
>>379829356
The first 3-4 and the Short Stories are.

>>379829538
First book of that is fine, then it goes a bit off Course.
Stormlight is where Sanderson truly got his shit together
>>
>>379829465
The fuck? Triss is in the books. She barely has a role but she shows up.
>>
>>379829356
the first two books (short stories) are ok
the rest is pulp fantasy of the worst type, avoid
>>
>>379829356
Not really the first books are more like a fairy tail
The latter books are a confused mess of adding dimensions/time and silly stuff which doesn´t fit the books before.
The writer should kiss cd project workers asses everyday to make such a good game out this bad writing story mess.
>>
>>379829356
If you are speaking any other language than English than yes. They are the best in Slavic languages but German and Spanish translations are both pretty good, just avoid English version it looses out on pretty much every real world reference and the word choices don't convey the same sense.
>>
>>379829465
She shows up pretty heavily as early as book 2
>>
>>379829356
No, they're shitty and formulaic pollack trash

in the books king arthur is canon and ciri leaves to go to camelot in the end for fucks sake
>>
File: sapek.jpg (593KB, 1242x980px) Image search: [Google]
sapek.jpg
593KB, 1242x980px
>>379829434
>they're based on the best RPG games of all times
>based on the best RPG games
>based on games
>>
>>379829356
Read the short story anthologies, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, they are by far the best and east to get into and a lot closer to the games.

The quintilogy ranges from meh to okay with some great moments/characters sprinkled in.
>>
I don't get the hatred for the novels. Sure thay are not as good as short stories but they have some really good wordplay in them and some fucking based characters. Regis was introduced in the novels, not sure but i think that zoltan too. They are just so much fun to read.
>>
>>379829356
Better read his Hussite triology.
>>
>>379830628
The characters are the only redeeming factor tho, that's the issue. Regis, Yarpen, Zoltan, Leo, Dijkstra, Vilgefortz, the Lodge , pretty much everyone in Skellige etc are all great but the over arching plot and almost anything plot related just gets more and more retarded and the focus shifts from said small roster of interesting characters to a schmorgesborg of side characters and "grand" story points and villains.

You can see that exact same effect translated into video game form with the main story of 3 and how bad it was (not the stories/things you had to do to progress the story like the Bloody Baron and the Dijkstra missions etc, I'm talking about the story itself about Ciri and the Wild Hunt) which was brought into more focus on the later half of the game where you find Ciri.
>>
>>379829356
If you can read in polissh, then they're enjoyable, with some interesting elements that make up the world, like racism, xenophobia, etc. Short stories are arguably the best, but the rest of the series isn't as terrible as people want it to be. Didn't read the english translation but i heard it's trash.
If you want some good pollack books, i recommend Piekara's stuff, like the inquisitor series, or Lem, which is mostly hard sci-fi with unique themes.
>>
>>379829356
no
>>
>>379829356
I've read a couple and I didn't really like them.
>>
yes, they are fun to read and Geralt is pretty cool in the books. I haven't played the games tho.
>>
>>379829356
The first two are fun. The rest is a waste of time.
>>
>>379831140
>but the rest of the series isn't as terrible as people want it to be.
I don't think anyone who has read them will argue they are terrible just that what is told it isn't really worth reading 5 books for.
>>
>is [video game book] worth a read?
'no'
>>
>>379832936
At least try harder at being stupid.
>>
>>379829356
The short tales are good, the books are complete garbage, don't bother. Read Tolkien instead, or even Ice and Fire.
>>
>>379829538
>mistborn
Anon pls, it's okay but there are better options.
The Black Company, The First Law Trilogy, Locke fucking Lamora, Red Queens War, Malazan, Wheel of Time, hell Sanderson's Stormlight Series is way way better than Mistborn.
>>
Witcher books are rather mediocre and were only popular in Poland just because they were "Made in Poland"
>>
>>379835742
Now this is some shit taste
>>
>>379835742
I was baiting when I said Mistborn, havent even read it lol.

Lock Lamora is legit, but FUCK First Law
>>
>>379836059
I'm not sorry /lit/, I like what I like.
>>
>>379836212
What's your problem with First Law? I actually really liked it but the ending frustrated me.
>>
>>379829356
They are not any more or less worth reading than any other shitty fantasy series out there.
>>
>>379836309
The style was awkward, many of the characters were decent but horribly utilized, and yes that ending was just ridiculous. Glokta and West were probably my favorites.

idk, I dont see the point of having a whole trilogy where half of it didnt even matter, even if it was part of Big B's grand plan. Overall it was too interested in jerking you around with trope inversions instead of a decent and full story. .
>>
>>379835910
I concur, they're really good for turn-of-the-century fantasy. Though people calling Sapkowski "the Polish Tolkien" make me laugh.
>>
>>379829356
If they were a tiny Polish studio wouldn't have been able to buy the rights.
>>
>>379829356
Sure they will have better gameplay than any of the game at least.
>>
The books are not like the games but they're alright.

Really though if you're going to bother reading dark fantasy, just fucking read Elric of Melnibone
>>
>>379829356
Yes, they have much better story than game series. Don't listen to retards saying otherwise.
>>
>>379836510
You're not wrong but I think the story was less important because the focus was on the characters and how they deal and react to their circumstances. I found the whole story wasn't interesting but the characters very gripping, especially Glokta and West.

I haven't read the spinoffs but I heard they focus a lot on the minor characters in them so that might be of interest to you.
>>
>>379829356
Not really.
Its a generic tolkien world with some old european and modern myths thrown in for good measure, but what really makes it a mediocre tiotle for me is the inconsistent characterization and world building.

I mean they are not especially bad or anything, just hundreds of better books around you could spend your time on.
>>
File: Jhereg.jpg (25KB, 271x450px) Image search: [Google]
Jhereg.jpg
25KB, 271x450px
If you want mediocre but very enjoyable fantasy, the Vlad Taltos books are better.
>>
>>379829356
yea they have better story than the games.
>>
>>379835742
>Locke fucking Lamora
Stop me if you've heard this one;
Some Con artists have a scheme to pull off, but partway through they get fucked over out of nowhere by something they had no way of foreseeing or combating. They escape, but at a sginificant cost, and see little of the reward they initially envisioned.
>>
>>379829356
first 3 are great (especially the first and the second where geralt finds ciri and it helps him to not an hero)

others are boring as shit
>>
>>379829356
yeah but start with the short stories
>>
>>379836726
Yeah,, this. I heard he agreed on selling the rights for some peanuts because the books' sales were lame and he didn't think the games had any potential. And, to be fair, their success was very gradual. Only with 3 they really hit home.
>>
>>379837057
t. assblasted murrican
>>
>>379829356
>>379837057
This. Read malazan, asoiaf, the first law or stormlight saga
>>
>>379829356
they're good in polish, dunno about the english translation
>>
>>379829434
Best bait ever written
>>
>>379837168
Yep, the premise is done to death but it's still got charm and an interesting world. Not every book has to be a fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>379829936
So she can make out wuth Seiba?
Hot.
>>
>>379829356
No, they are plagiarized from Elric of Melniborne. Sapkowski is a talentless thief, like everyone else from Poland.
>>
>>379837316
>malazan
meme
>asoiaf
shit
>the first law
shit
>stormlight saga
anime
>>
>>379829356
Yes. Sword of Destiny is a masterpiece, the saga is ok.
>>
>>379837474
You right, lemme go read Sword of Truth or Demon Cycle
>>
>>379837413
The problem isn't that the premise has been done to death, the problem is that the books are practically copy/pasted, despite the interesting flavour put in them.
The author going off the rails after his divorce really didn't help things.
>>
To all saying Witcher books are bad or average, post good ones then. Preferably within the same genre. Mistborn? Piekara? WTF? Did you read any of this books or just shitposting? Are English translations so bad?
>>
File: Booknewsun.jpg (15KB, 220x331px) Image search: [Google]
Booknewsun.jpg
15KB, 220x331px
>reading shit fantasy
>when you can read good fantasy
>>
File: 1461704686614.jpg (29KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1461704686614.jpg
29KB, 640x640px
>>379837645
>The author going off the rails after his divorce really didn't help things.
>mfw book 3

he took that shit hard
>>
>>379837474
Asoiaf is fucking brilliant you tasteless little shit.
Take your contrarian opinion and shove it up your ass.

Malazan is also good, and first law was really enjoyable for the characters and the conclusion

But go ahead. Wow me with your incredible taste.

Hipster sack of shit
>>
>>379837675
New Sun is sci-fi
>>
>>379837624

Sword of Truth was cringe from front to back.
>>
>>379837624
>Sword of Truth
Obligatory
"No war! No war! No war!" the people shouted as Richard led the men up the street at a dead run.
"Out of the way!" Richard yelled as he closed the distance. This was no time for subtlety or discussions: the success of their attack depended in large part on speed. "Get out of the way! This is your only warning! Get out of the way or die!"
"Stop the hate! Stop the hate!" the people chanted as they locked arms.
They had no idea how much hate was raging through Richard. He drew the Sword of Truth. The wrath of its magic didn't come out with it, but he had enough of his own. He slowed to a trot.
"Move!" Richard called as he bore down on the people.
A plump, curly-haired woman took a step out from the others. Her round face was red with anger as she screamed. "Stop the hate! No war! Stop the hate! No war!"
"Move or die!" Richard yelled as he picked up speed.
The red-faced woman shook her fleshy fist at Richard and his men, leading an angry chant. "Murderers! Murderers! Murderers!"
On his way past her, gritting his teeth as he screamed with the fury of the attack begun, Richard took a powerful swing, lopping off the woman's head and upraised arm. Strings of blood and gore splashed across the faces behind her even as some still chanted their empty words. The head and loose arm tumbled through the crowd. A man mad the mistake of reaching for Richard's weapon, and took the full weight of a charging thrust.
Men behind Richard hit the line of evil's guardians with unrestrained violence. People armed only with their hatred for moral clarity fell bloodied, terribly injured, and dead. The line of people collapsed before the merciless charge. Some of the people, screaming their contempt, used their fists to attack Richard's men. They were met with swift and deadly steel.

No we wait until someone posts Kingkiller
>>
>>379837724
He is right about Stormlight being anime though
All the Kaladin climaxes are anime as fuck
>>
File: 1497091869991.png (125KB, 238x238px) Image search: [Google]
1497091869991.png
125KB, 238x238px
>>379837675
>reading fantasy at all
>>
>>379837724
Asoif would be good if that fat fuck finished saga in three maximum four tomes. Now it's pure endless graphomania.
>>
File: 1482077200088.png (148KB, 645x772px) Image search: [Google]
1482077200088.png
148KB, 645x772px
>>379829356
>tfw no good cyberpunk books
why is cyberpunk such an underrated genre?
>>
>>379837773
No shit?
>>
>>379837816
>tfw no Szeth vs Kaladin Anime fight
>tfw No Anime Dalinar blocking the Chasm Fiend
>>
>>379837816
I didn't argue with that point. WoT is also anime, and Sanderson wrote some of that
>>
>>379837849
I love AFFC and ADWD, but I agree that the fat old son of bitch will die before he finishes them and I hate him for that
>>
>>379837768
And sci-fi is the patrician genre when it comes to genre fiction. Wolfe, Herbert, Simmons, the list could go on..
>>
File: 1435614921271.jpg (13KB, 178x279px) Image search: [Google]
1435614921271.jpg
13KB, 178x279px
>>379837924
>tfw when Dalinar Claps
>>
>>379835742
>Malazan
couldnt finish gardens of the moon, so freaking boring
>>
>>379837860
Cyberpunk is a funny thing. In theory it should be my favorite genre. But in practice there isn't a single cyberpunk book, movie, comic, animu or vidya that I actually love. At best they were just alright.

The original Deus Ex is kind of the exception, but I don't love it because it is cyberpunk. If the games was turned into a cinematic modern shitfest it wouldn't hold my interest for a second.
>>
File: 1488061057130.jpg (9KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
1488061057130.jpg
9KB, 210x240px
>>379838220
>attacked by shardblade
>Alethi start clapping
>>
>>379837860
Snow Crash is great and whoever disagrees is a stuck-up edgelord.
>>
File: Sanderson.jpg (21KB, 250x327px) Image search: [Google]
Sanderson.jpg
21KB, 250x327px
>>379838220
Mormons know how to do drama.
>>
>>379838280
It's regarded by many to be the worst book of the series, a good chunk outright skip it. [Spoiler] I kinda liked it a lot though [/spoiler]
>>
>>379838280
It gets good like 75% of the way through

The rest of the books are muuuuch better. If you really can't finish it then read a summary and start on book 2
>>
>>379829356
Really enjoyed the Witcher books, though my taste is probably shit tier. I loved the universe from witcher 1 and 2 and read them in prep for Witcher 3, and it was a great time!
>>
>>379829356
Yes, they're pretty great.
>>
>>379835742
>Locke Lamora
>The Black Company
>Malazan
>Wheel of Time

>Better?
You fucking wut mate?
There is really no arguing Way of kings is Sandersons best book by a mile and one of the best fantasy books of the last decade and the First Law Trilogy is just all around great but your other picks seem completely random.

Malazan Book of the Fallen is a fucking incoherent mess that gets worse as it goes along. Reading it is like reading an encyclopedia where the number of completely irrelevant and pointless characters keeps increasing into hundreds before you will lose interest and start seeing most of it as what it actually is, pointless filler to paddle out every books length and justfy the 10 book length.

And Locke Lamora? I assume you mean only the first book, the sequel is one of the worst butchering of a character i have ever seen. Where a good man whose life goal is to steal from the corrupt elites and bring at lest some justice to the poor of rotted collapsing city, who wouldnt see people he hates die unjustly turn randomly in a mass murderer and one of the most evil pirates around who butchers anyone in his way, all this change in a matter of a weeks?
Then hes back to his normal lovable roughish ways and we pretend all his crimes never happened while his body count rivals that of an battalion during a war? Oh fuck off, ive seen small children write more consistent characterization.

The Black Company and Wheel of Time are pretty generic, not to mention teh second series had to be finished by another writer. Nether is especllay better or worse than the Witcher.
>>
>>379838392
GotM is ok if only for the fact that it's not 1200 fucking pages long with a story that starts around page 750.
>>
>>379838280

It's hard, the Malazan series essentially puts you into the middle of it all, stumbling into a run instead of gradually building up pace.

But the payoff is worth it anon, even starting at deadhouse gates it starts to get great.
>>
>>379837768
Same genre.
>>
>>379837860
>>379838319
Shadowrun ? It's been long ago but the faint memory holds the books in good light.

Otherwise i think mangas are the only source with plenty of decent material like ghost in the shell, blame, ... can't really recall any memorable cyberpunk books and i cleaned my entire local library over several years.
>>
>>379838531
>Malazan Book of the Fallen is a fucking incoherent mess
Brainlet.
Malazan isn't for people with poor memory or poor attention spans. Try other books

How the fuck you gonna say the black company is generic.

Contrarians are the biggest cancer on this board.
>>
>>379838531
I wasn't comparing them to the witcher, anon. They are pretty random picks from books I like that I thought were good or okay entry points into the genre.

Malazan is a pretty divisive series so I understand if it's not your cup of tea. I did mean Book 1 of Locke though.

BC and Wit are older books so I don't really fault them for being generic, even so they are a good read with great climaxes. The other writer finished the Wit faithfully and did it without fucking up the series.
>>
>tfw probably would read Malazan but after ASOIAF I'm pretty much turned off from 3+ book stories

So is it good or Good?
>>
File: IMG-20170527-WA0006.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170527-WA0006.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>379837675
>>
>>379839061
GoT series will never finish, start Malazan.
>>
>>379838531

>Malazan Book of the Fallen is a fucking incoherent mess that gets worse as it goes along

I'm sorry your attention span is so low.

Everything in the Malazan world ties together pretty damned well if you have the patience to go through them all. The Kharkansas Trilogy is a slow burn but clears up a great deal of confusion in the plot. Albeit raising some other questions.
>>
Fantasyfags are scum of this board
>>
>>379829356
It's worth it, but remember to not read anything about author, he is fucking retarded and im still impressed he wrote such a good books. Thats Phil Fish of fantasy literature.
>>
>>379829356

The books are a total rollercoaster of quality.

Some chapters are so so shitty, poorly written and bland that they read like shitty fanfiction of literally any other medieval fantasy series in existence by a 12yo.
Other chapters are top quality romantic prose that non-memeticaly really makes you think, explores themes and ideas many writers on the west side of the Berlin Wall tend to avoid and introduces unique and interesting fantasy concepts.

The quality of writing through the series legit fluctuates from a weak 2 to a strong 9.
>>
>>379829356
BUHHHHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!

These are amerifat covers ? Jesus christ, can you do at least this right ? Since you already fucked up translation.
>>
>>379837924
>no Kaladin fighting 3 shardblade users with a shitty spear anime fight
>>
>>379839061
Malazan is ok. It's a worldbuilding exercise, where the entire narrative was prewritten for the setting with zero regard for how it would work in novel form. It's certainly unique, and it has its merits, but don't let the delusional Malazan fanboys convince you that it's some kind of transcendental new standard for fantasy.
>>
File: nani.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
nani.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>379839378
>tfw when helmet glove
>>
>>379839061
it's ok but slow and the characters have basically zero personality. It's an interesting series of events with some cool ideas in it though.
>>
File: 1488813266480.jpg (35KB, 180x218px) Image search: [Google]
1488813266480.jpg
35KB, 180x218px
>>379829434
I really like this bait.
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.