[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mario Kart 8

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1496361192595.jpg (1019KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1496361192595.jpg
1019KB, 2560x1440px
Why was this game so well received? I bought this with the Switch along with Zelda, and while I really liked BotW, I'm honestly pretty underwhelmed with MK8. It feels like countless past iterations of the series with a new coat of paint.

It definitely has the most content out of the franchise, which is great- though admittedly, a lot of that comes from the bundled in DLC material. Otherwise though I'm not seeing much here that improves on MK7, or DS, for that matter. If anything, it seems a bit more hand-holdy, with all these auto options.

Don't get me wrong, the core gameplay is still fun enough, but it seems more like the $60 I paid was to play with a still active online community, rather than much of anything else.
>>
I thought it was great, did you play with friends?
>>
>>379812062
I'm not saying it's not fun, I'm saying it doesn't feel any different from the past games.

Mario Kart has always been an oddity where, with a few exceptions, Nintendo has been fine with not rocking the boat in terms of "innovations," but I was hearing so much about how this is the best, and most definitive in the series, and while in terms of sheer content, I agree, but when it comes down to it, it just feels like Mario Kart 7.5.
>>
Wii U was pretty starved for games when it came out.
There was, what, Smash and Wonderful 101?
>>
>>379812278
>>379812278
no i think smash came after.
>>
>>379812228
In a series where iterations change as little as Mario Kart, it's not hard for the latest game to be the "definitive" one. Of course it's Mario Kart 7.5, you're buying it because you want to play the latest Mario Kart game. It's like Madden for racing games.

All MK8 had to do was
>use pretty much the same kart physics
>add in a mildly interesting way of traversing a course
>don't have less content than a previous game
and it did all those things - plus, it actually has a lot of content relative to every other game in the series.

Nobody expects anything groundbreaking from Mario Kart.
>>
>>379812807
It just kind of made me disappointed, to be honest. I was able to jump in, and it felt almost exactly like nothing had been changed since 7. And that might be a good thing for some? If you want to do a sequel where you don't add fancy new features, this is arguably the way to do it: just make a ton of content that proved successful previously.

It just seems like the series has been pretty stagnant since DS. That one added portability and online, which was a revelation. Each one after has just been kind of spinning its wheels.
>>
>>379811747
>countless
Look at the title more carefully.
>>
>>379813182
>>379813182
DS also added single player.

>>379811747
It's Mario Kart. A tonne of good tracks and good battle tracks are all it really needs for people to love it.

That's not a knock against it, but the core gameplay is so refined that it gets away with not doing much more than most other series.

I'd even say it gets away with it more than 2D mario and pokemon
>>
>>379813681
>DS also added single player
What?
>>
>>379813182
>Each one after has just been kind of spinning its wheels.
I don't disagree. Mario Kart games come pretty much once a generation, so it'll be a while, but we'll see if the Switch gets an original one in a couple years that really does anything different. They alternated between handheld and console, which helps it feel that much more fresh, and they often take advantage of the console's gimmick, but the formula is starting to get old. Everyone's played Mario Kart. Everyone loves Mario Kart. It's one of the most popular local multiplayer franchises of all time. Fuck with it too much, everyone's gonna freak out.
>>
>>379813770
He means mission mode. Objectives, trials, challenges, unique conditions, and even boss fights. People have been clamoring for that mode to come back forever.
>>
>>379814313
Ooooooh. I thought he meant single player in general, like grand prix and all that
>>
>>379811747
Mario Kart on Wii was so utterly bad that it was a massive step up and thus the universal praise.
>>
>>379814627

>item spam is even worse
>at least half the content is locked behind DLC
>drifting isnt nearly as tight
>yet its still the best in the franchise somehow

I will never understand /v/
>>
>>379814735
Drifting has been getting worse since DS. I know Nintendo wasn't a fan of snaking, but it just doesn't feel as nice anymore to get a good drift.
>>
>>379811747
>Why was this game so well received?

Because of the gameplay and balancing, which is one of, if the best in the serie.
There's not a lot to expect of the serie because the formula is already perfect, so when 8 came out the hype made sense because he is the closest to that perfection.

Still, the game was critized for two things
-Critized for it's content
-Critized by the "pro" that thought the game unplayable at high-level because the items weren't strong enough (don't ask me, I don't understand their logic)
>>
>>379814735
Less racers, less items everywhere, less all destroying items.

Drifting does feel better than the Wii version, not as good as DS, but better than Wii
>>
File: 1471597858756.jpg (16KB, 379x245px) Image search: [Google]
1471597858756.jpg
16KB, 379x245px
>>379815009

>less destroying items

>red shells still very frequent in item boxes
>always get hit by lightning at least once a game
>blue shells are frequent
>coins are fucking useless after even half of the first lap, screwing you out of defensive items
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.