[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Final Fantasy VIII is still ahead of it's time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 13

File: Ff8_logo.png (283KB, 650x529px) Image search: [Google]
Ff8_logo.png
283KB, 650x529px
Final Fantasy VIII is still ahead of it's time
>>
>it's

wow shit english skills to go along with your shit opinion
>>
>>379805816
suck my chicken you filthy gaijin
>>
Good ideas, bad execution. Basically the same as any other FF game. It's nowhere near the worst game in the series like the internet likes to claim. But it's not good. Let alone ahead of its time.
>>
Excellent setting and design, absolute shit gameplay and mechanics.
>>
lmao no it's not FFVI is the pinnacle of this series
>>
File: AolZeVY.jpg (205KB, 1276x1920px) Image search: [Google]
AolZeVY.jpg
205KB, 1276x1920px
>>379805712
Best protagonist, best gameplay, best plot, best girls. My favorite game of the franchise. The OST from VI is better.
>>
>>379806072
I replayed it a couple months ago (I had forgotten most of the details)

Upon closer scrutiny I found myself hating it more than any other game. My complaints are numerous, almost infinite. Sure, there are things it does well but there are so many more issues that it outweights it like a whale against an ant.

1) Squall jumps out into space to save Rinoa and then a ship magically just happens to be there to save them
2) Time Kompression
3) spontaneous arrival of a techno future city
4) Draw the magic 99 times and junction it
5) the parties constantly change so you end up spending forever re-junctioning magic and shit to your various characters
6) Character's "die" but come back after the missile blast
7) All from the same orphanage
8) Squall is a whiny unrealistic cunty bitch and he still gets so much shit handed to him
9) Holy shit: you can't skip the GF summon animations

I could go on if I gave a shit, but the point is 8 is one of the very worst FF games. IT gets so many aspects wrong that 7 just nails perfectly.
>>
Whatever
>>
>>379806504

Most of your complaints start with Disk 3. And that's the major flaw the game has. I would argue that Disk 1 of the game is the most fun I ever had with a FF game. The pacing was great, the SeeD missions were well developed, the premise of being mercenaries instead of heroes was interesting, there's actual places to find and explore besides the main story locations, etc.

Everything just falls apart the minute you put in Disk 3. Squall goes from a guy who was gradually breaking out of his shell to 'Wahhh wake up Rinoa I want to hear your voice!' In the span of 5 minutes.

Even pointing this out, I can take every flaw FFVIII has and point to another game in the FF series which does the same thing.
>>
Rinoa a nasty ass thot
>>
>>379806474
>Best gameplay

But anon spamming limits and GF does not make a good battle system. And that's all this game have to make the gameplay good beside mini games and interactive text boxes.

Let's not start with the plot lest we lose brain cells. The rest of your post is accurate.
>>
>>379806504
>spontaneous
there's nothing spontaneous about esthar
it's literally hinted at showing you high tech soldiers from there in every laguna flashback
all throughout the game people reference adel being flown into space to be imprisoned by them
you think they were gonna fly up in a fucking wooden boat or something?
nothing wrong with time compression itself desu.
drawing and junctioning is a nonsense complaint as you have to draw literally nothing but GFs and can just refine the rest - the real complaint here is the game is way too easy because of how exploitable it is
there's literally a swap junction button for exactly this so you don't have to redo anything and can just transfer it across in one go
the characters never died, it didn't show you what happened and you just assumed they sat there and died, which is a bit silly considering its a jrpg and it was half your party members
squall is not remotely whiny for the vast majority of the game. being uninterested in other peoples problems and not giving a shit doesn't = whiny. why is it people are unable to use the correct words for things.
you can't skip ff7 summon animations either, or 9 afaik, or any before 10
considering they need to use boost to make them even worth casting, skipping the animation would be redundant

you just a mad nigga, ff8 is fine
its flaws are lack of difficulty, spaceship just happening to appear in the right place, and orphanage shit. gfs eating memories was great, but having them all forget one specific memory and nobody else mention it that did remember for the longest time was silly
>>
Draw System was one of the worst rpg system I seen as a main mechanic. Wild Arms 1 already did the whole Guardian = Stats but better.
>>
>>379806909
Quistis is where it's at.
>>
>>379807310
>ff8 is fine
A combat system so easy to break, you need to either grind the hard way your magic shit or do shit builds on purpose to even have a small challenge.
Story, map and event design is very linear and has a very weak cast of characters who get even lamer when the twist comes.

FF8 isn't the worst of the series but not a very noteworthy entry either. It's quite short, so at least it didn't waste much of my time.

Keep calling other people names though, I love seeing ff8 fans being mad.
>>
>>379806883
>I can take every flaw FFVIII has and point to another game in the FF series which does the same thing.

>Draw the magic 99 times and junction it.
>the parties constantly change so you end up spending forever re-junctioning magic and shit to your various characters
> Holy shit: you can't skip the GF summon animations in a game about summoning GFs.
>Extremely dependent on its shitty cards system (FF9 doesn't even come close).
>>
File: FinalFantasy_Ilikequall.jpg (102KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
FinalFantasy_Ilikequall.jpg
102KB, 500x500px
>>379806504

>1) Squall jumps out into space to save Rinoa and then a ship magically just happens to be there to save them
Yup. Typical FF plot convenience.

>2) Time Kompression
Yup, typical overly convoluted plot element. Every FF game does it.

3) spontaneous arrival of a techno future city
See #1 and #2.

>4) Draw the magic 99 times and junction it
You can also refine or get magic from draw points.

5) the parties constantly change so you end up spending forever re-junctioning magic and shit to your various characters
There's an auto junction and switch option.

6) Character's "die" but come back after the missile blast
This is a problem in pretty much every FF game. FFIV is the absolute worst with it.

7) All from the same orphanage
Yup, that's dumb. Though still nowhere near as dumb as other plot 'twists' in other FF games.

>8) Squall is a whiny unrealistic cunty bitch and he still gets so much shit handed to him
In the first two disks he's fine. I'd say he's the best protagonist in the series. Then Disk 3, he turns into a whiny beta male, yes. Which puts him on the same level as guys like Cecil, Terra and Minfillia.

>9) Holy shit: you can't skip the GF summon animations
Well, you are suppose to boost. You also can not use GFs. The game is so easy you don't need to do more than just junction a status effect to your sword and spam attack. And late game, spam limit breaks.
>>
>>379805712
In what fucking way? Garbage gameplay shit story and one of the worst parties and characters in JRPG history. Are you high or fucking stupid?
>>
>>379807608

>Draw the magic 99 times and junction it.
I'd rather spend a few minutes drawing magic then have to grind a class to get the skill. Or grind materia to get something beyond Ice 2.

Also, you don't have to draw magic at all.

>the parties constantly change so you end up spending forever re-junctioning magic and shit to your various characters
FFIV, VI, VII and XII have way more party changes than FFVIII. And far more intrusive.

> Holy shit: you can't skip the GF summon animations in a game about summoning GFs.
Don't cast summons. Or spend the time boosting like you should be.

>Extremely dependent on its shitty cards system (FF9 doesn't even come close).
How is it dependent? You didn't even seem to use it since you didn't figure out how refining works. But you can play the entire game and never play Triple Triad.
>>
>>379807979
What most fans don't seem to understand is that number 4 and 5 takes the place of the entirety of the battle system.

4 by making character building and progression either a grind or a joke.

5 by completely removing that character's individuality besides its limit break.

Given, FFs never had the most complex of battle systems and I can give some slack to early 16 bit console titles. FF8 truely is a joke fueled entirely on nostalgia and its good, unique setting.
>>
>>379806504
None of those problems make the game bad. The experience as a whole is good. The world and characters are so attractive that people sitll to this day make threads about Balamb Garden and Squall. Everyone knows junctioning is crazy and the story is dumb. It's still one of the most memorable and unique JRPGs ever.
>>
>>379806504

>6) Character's "die" but come back after the missile blast
Currently playing FFXIV and I just got done watching 2 fucking hours of cutscenes where the game pulled this shit. Oh no, all the scions died...except I know none of them really did and they'll all reappear in Heavensward.

This is the most overused and annoying trope in Final Fantasy. It would be more surprising if a game DIDN'T pull this shit.
>>
>>379808213
>You didn't even seem to use it since you didn't figure out how refining works.

You seem to assume alot for someone that takes the time to deconstruct posts. Drawing 99 spells is still a gameplay mechanic and deserves to be pointed out for being dumb as fuck. Refining forces you to collect cards which is easy and boring. And that's it, that's the entirety of your character's progression beside new limit breaks of which you'll use 1 or 2

>FFIV, VI, VII and XII have way more party changes than FFVIII. And far more intrusive.

How so ? By making actually unique characters unplayable thus forcing you to change your play style over copy pasting a character over another every 5 minutes of dialogue ?

>Don't cast summons. Or spend the time boosting like you should be.

Why wouldn't you use them when they are clearly a major part of the game ? And holding select and spamming input gets old after the first 20 battles.

Don't assume people didn't play your shitty game just because they point out its gaping flaws.
>>
>>379806504
>anything dealing with story
The story is based around time travel. Last I checked, time travel is completely uncharted territory in the sense that we don't know how it works in ANY fashion. You can't exactly argue the semantics for something based in a completely fictitious scenario...

>4
Drawing would have been fine if it wasn't tied to junctions. I actually found drawing GF's to be interesting.

>5
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I thought there was a menu option to switch Magic/GFs from one person to another, that way you aren't rejunctioning shit. If I'm correct on that, then it was actually less annoying than reequipping materia in FFVII.

>9
Not exactly a good thing, but summons are not worth using THAT often in the game so this annoyance is quite easy to ignore.

People need to understand that every game in existence will have some quirk that someone out there won't like. FFVIII's quirks aren't game breaking, so nothing new here. I mean, I do wish magic supply wasn't tied to junctions, but that is about the only true problem with the game. It could be played different ways, which means you don't HAVE to break the game if you don't want to. Sidequests were quite fun to me. The story is just like any other story, meaning you can enjoy it if you aren't some Freshman year English major that thinks a couple of classes makes your opinion the stuff of gods.
>>
>>379809007
Where? Here? I don't see them. What the fuck do they talk about?
>>
>The amount of magic you can junction to a stat is your level

There I just fixed the entire junction and level scaling system
>>
>>379809318
That would have actually been a good step in the right direction. It would also allow you to use those excess spells in combat instead of packing them up and never touch them again.

Every characters should have also had their own pool of spells to junction and could trade them between each other only with a steep penalty (Firas to Fire maybe) and can only draw magic linked to its equipped GF's element.

That would have added depth to the gameplay, something FF8 lacks big time.
>>
>>379806504
God awful list. It's a flawed game, but not for a single reason on that list.
>>
>>379809165

>You seem to assume alot for someone that takes the time to deconstruct posts.
I'm not assuming anything. I'm pointing out how two of your points contradict each other. And like someone else said, you don't even need to max out every magic spell. You're literally complaining "I hate this because its boring!" and then implying you have to do it. But then, you're also someone who played a game despite hating it so...I guess you're just a masochist?

>How so ? By making actually unique characters unplayable thus forcing you to change your play style over copy pasting a character over another every 5 minutes of dialogue ?
If you had made that point earlier, then I would have responded in a different way. As it stands, your original post was just complaining that FFVIII removes party members too much and makes you rejunction all the time. I simply pointed out that other FF games remove party members far more often. FFIV being the worst at it.

And FFIV still comes off as worse with your new points.

>Why wouldn't you use them when they are clearly a major part of the game ?
That doesn't mean you are forced to use it.
>>
File: erica2.jpg (15KB, 140x183px) Image search: [Google]
erica2.jpg
15KB, 140x183px
>>379809209
>has never seen a 'you will never live in Balamb Garden' thread
>has never seen a 'whatever' thread about Squall
>>
>>379805712
Only thing that sucked about it was the junctioning/guardian-force system. That was dumb. This game would have been perfect without that.
>>
>>379809732
You assume again that I'm the same person that you first replied to.

The only arguments in all that text of yours is:

"You don't have to play it that way !" and "Other FF changes member all the time !".

Well you go play it your way, and I'll keep pointing out that shit mechanics does indeed make a shit game especially in the case of a jRPG where its mechanics are half the gameplay.

I complete my games before criticizing them, that doesn't make me masochistic. And the setting was enjoyable until disk 3.
>>
>>379809732
>You didn't even seem to use it since you didn't figure out how refining works.
>Or spend the time boosting like you should be.
>I'm not assuming anything.
FF8 fans arguing in its purest form.
>>
>>379810413

>The only arguments in all that text of yours is:

And the only argument in all of your text is "you're just assuming things!" and "my opinion is fact!"
>>
>>379810720
>>379810413

>obvious samefag trying to pretend he's two different people calls someone else out for being dumb
Sad.
>>
>>379810413

>And the setting was enjoyable until disk 3.
Which was said by the first person who responded to you. So why did this turn into an ego argument?
>>
my boi squall got cucked hard by seifer and rinoa lololool
>>
>>379810779
The Draw/Junction system is still stupid and broken.
The constant party switching is still annoying and pointless since all characters cover the exact same roles.
The GF summoning is still repetitive and exploitable while being among the core mechanics of the game.

That's only three of my opinions, as it's nothing but my opinion against your own.

Your defense being a little more than "But you can just disregard these mechanics" is a weak argument that fails to convince me that your opinion is correct, which is your goal in this exchange as you took the time to answer back with your point of view.

Here, hopes this help you understand how opinions and arguments work.
>>
>>379810886
Doesn't make his point any less true, though. Stay mad. Oh and I'm samefag too.
>>
>>379805712
no op, it was not, it was fine where it was because it models itself after highschool stuff. That's saying save by the Bell is ahead of its time.
>>
>>379806504
>Squall is a whiny unrealistic cunty bitch and he still gets so much shit handed to him
the part where Squalls is a whiney unrealistic bitch is where I disagree with you, there are a lot of kids and teenagers that are like that, what's unrealistic is people follow him at all.
>>
>>379809175
>time travel is completely uncharted territory in the sense that we don't know how it works in ANY fashion.
we have equations, but don't say it hasn't been looked into, especially when it comes to fiction. Chrono trigger has got ff8 beat by a mile on that premise.
>>
>>379807979

>Yup, typical overly convoluted plot element. Every FF game does it.

By all means please tell us the convoluted plot element in FF I-V
>>
The Squall is dead theory is the only thing making this game's post Disk 1 story bearable. It leaves it only with its barebone gameplay.
>>
>>379809732
>I guess you're just a masochist?
not that anon but I am.
I feel I have to play a game to the end to fully judge it.
>>
File: 1339058213729.jpg (327KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1339058213729.jpg
327KB, 1600x1200px
>>379806504
>8) Squall is a whiny unrealistic cunty bitch and he still gets so much shit handed to him
>>
>>379812210
>Dark Lord sibling possessed by exiled moon shaman for creating a giant robot to destroy earth's population.

To be honest, I to III barely had any story, but that goes forward and prove your point. V and VI have a rich yet very straight forward story.

Beside IV you do have a point.
>>
>>379811375

>The Draw/Junction system is still stupid and broken.

I remember hitting 4,000 damage per attack for Squall at the end of Disc 1. It's very easy to break the junction system. It is indeed a very stupid and broken concept.
>>
>>379812253
Wanted to post this exact same thing.

The theory also makes some sense because all the strangest shit starts appening after he got LITERALLY pierced in the chest by a huge piece of ice.
>>
>>379812210
1 had time travel where garland becomes chaos after you beat him and he sends monsters to your present time like the lich.
2 had an emperor who conqured hell after you killed him and he comes back.
3 I don't remember 3
4 moon people taking over people's minds to get released or some shit I don't remember
5 a tree made of the void who wants to turn every thing into a void but before that you have to wage war against 2 planets.
>>
>>379812564
that's what they all say
>>
is squall really dead though?
>>
>>379812689
>5 a tree made of the void who wants to turn every thing into a void but before that you have to wage war against 2 planets.
A tree full of demons wants to return everything to the void and in order to do so reunites the planet that was divided by two dimensions. Even in your statement though it's hardly convoluted.
>>
>>379812667
I'm replaying it recently and I'm easily breaking that with some darkside, barely any work on my junction shit.
>>
>>379812051
What we have are theories that have no way of being proven right or wrong. Don't even get me started on equations... Math and science as we know it is just an attempt at understanding the world around us. The only reason we are able to do things like travel into space is because we ALWAYS consider the knowledge we currently have to be malleable and not a concrete fact.

>Chrono Trigger has got ff8 beat by a mile
Beat how? The way time travel works in fiction is endless. There is no common theme that is accepted in most of fiction like you would find for things such as vampires and zombies. Chrono trigger isn't any closer to being "right" than ff8.
>>
>>379812595

How is IV convoluted? He literally just used Golbez to help unlock the ability for Babil to come to Earth via possession. That's nowhere near something like the unanswered questions of FFVIII that still persist to this day.
>>
>>379812967
but that's not the whole plot now is it? at first it was just crystals shattering and the elements dying.
>>
>>379812210

Not him but FFI and IV definitely have convoluted plot devices. FFI drops a convoluted scifi time loop out of nowhere. And FFIV is full of them. But pretty much everything tied to the Lunarians and the moon is downright facepalm worthy.
>>
>>379813213
Beat as in tread on the imagination of time travel first. Even then it's not the first game to do so, to say it was untouched is giving 8 waaaaay to much credit.
>>
>>379812675
It would be a literal "Final Fantasy" before he dies during the final cutscene's weird shit.
The most obvious thing being Rinoa. She is only after Seifer's dick during the whole of Disk 1 while Squall's all "whatever" while the music and the way she easily manipulates him kind of points he's beta male. Front Disk 2 and on, he's the hero of the situation, Rinoa's wet for him and all the weird shit starts happening.
>>
>>379805712
>ahead of it is time
Fuck you, OP, and not because of your opinion but because of your inability to remove one fucking apostrophe.
>>
On the theory of Squall's Death:
I actually wrote a rather elaborate comment on a site dedicated to the theory, and it was promptly deleted within one day. So maybe sharing it here is a better idea.
I was spurred at first by someone else's comment regarding the magic lamp that Cid gives you in Disc 1, before Squall's proposed point of death.
First, we assume that Squall dies at the end of Disc 1. Quite awhile before he dies, he is given the magic lamp that summons the GF Diablos. You (Squall, basically) can either use it immediately, or wait until much later in the game. This is where the theory is mostly debunked, except for an incredibly small probability:
If you choose to use the lamp later in the game, after Squall is dead, the lamp still summons Diablos, and you can still obtain the GF. Now in the theory, everything after Disc 1 is basically Squall's mind imagining what was going to happen. But because we have a point before his death to compare the effect of the lamp to, we know that the lamp doesn't change. This means that for the theory to be valid at all, we have to believe (we can not prove) that Squall's mind correctly fabricates the powers of the lamp, even after his death, when he couldn't have possibly known what the effect of the lamp would be. This is the only way the theory can still stand - we have to accept the incredibly small probability that his mind correctly fabricated the power of the lamp.
There are other examples of this in game, for instance, obtaining the Brother's GF. This can be skipped in Disc 1, and obtained later. This side-quest in the story stays the same, regardless of when it is experienced.
Besides this, the actual value of the game, the character relationships, and much else, is essentially thrown out the window if we accept the theory. The story of Squall becomes 75% the delusions of a single individual, rather than a much more meaningful heroic journey. It seems unlikely the game designers would have intended that.
>>
>>379813302
It is true that when you compare it to the degree of FFVIII's story, even Valkyrie Profile shit would be tame. But you still have to admit that FFIV's story is convoluted. Try explaining its story to someone that never played a jRPG before.
>>
>>379812564

IM NOT LIKE THE OTHER GIRLS
>>
>>379806474
>best plot

All the party characters growing up in the same orphanage and forgetting it until midway through the game because of some contrivance about GF use erasing memories always stuck out to me as a stupid and unnecessary plot point.
>>
>>379813708

Nice copy and paste from Leddit. The magic of google: https://www.reddit.com/r/FinalFantasy/comments/35flqe/squalls_dead_debunked_spoiler/
>>
>>379814005
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo
>>
File: 1332844313574.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1332844313574.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>379813905
To be fair, it does tell you that at the start.
>>
>>379813302

>How is IV convoluted?
In order for all of Zemus (Zeromus') plans to work, it relies on a series of events he has no control over. And in order for Cecil to even get to the point where he can confront Golbez, a huge string of plot convenience had to play out. Things Zemus and Golbez had no control over like Rydia falling off a boat so she could age and learn to use summons better, Rosa blindly following Cecil everywhere, Cid/Yang/Palom/Porom giving up their lives to save Cecil despite no real knowledge that he is special until after they are all revived and learn he's from the moon, etc.

Also, the worst plot convenience in FFIV is tied to Golbez himself. He recognizes Cecil the very first time he meets him. It is because he recognizes him as his brother that Golbez doesn't just kill him on the spot. But then we have a bunch more story where he sends tons of subservient monsters and Kain to...kill Cecil. They all fail and then Golbez appears to finish the job himself. If Zemus had total control over his mind, why didn't he just fucking kill Cecil the FIRST time? We're led to believe that he faltered once, but had total intent to kill him all the other times?

Also, the whole idea of everyone in the world praying for Cecil during the final fight crap. But that's an overdone cliche.
>>
>>379813605
So the problem here is you quoted my whole sentence, but you didn't read my whole sentence? I didn't say no one has ever tried to use time travel in a story before. I said the knowledge behind how it works, if at all possible, is non-existent. If you want to go by guidelines for time travel in previous works of fiction, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with FFVIII's plot. For example, one theory is that you can't alter time. That means that no matter what, Rinoa and Squall are guaranteed to live. Since they jumped into space, then something such as a random floating space ship HAS to be out there to save them.
>>
>>379814347
you think I'm another anon you were previously talking to, I'm an anon who just saw what you said and was giving 8 way more credit than it deserved on the time travel bit, mainly because of the canon ending. All theories aside, this is what happened, and you are just adding more than that is really there in the story.
Like that old example of a reader who explains why the curtains were blue and it's meaning when all the while the author just says the curtains are fucking blue.
That kind of thing.
>>
>>379814708
>you think I'm another anon you were previously talking to
It doesn't matter if you are the same anon or not. Either follow the reply chain to have a clue what people are talking about, or don't reply...

>you are just adding more than that is really there in the story
WTF am I adding? If you want to create some nonsensical replies based on misreading bits and pieces of a conversation, feel free to do so with someone else. Especially after making such a hypocritical statement of saying "Like that old example of a reader who explains why the curtains were blue and it's meaning when all the while the author just says the curtains are fucking blue."
>>
>>379815183
>Especially after making such a hypocritical
how was I hypocritical? I haven't stated anything more to ff8 than I have, only you have. You are making the time travel thing more complicated by adding more shit about time travel than there is in the game. Stop getting mad over nothing, just pointing out that you are embellishing more than what's really there.
>>
>>379805712
VIII is objectively garbage in almost every way but it's so comfy and the soundtrack is 11/10

i love it
>>
>>379815636
Just like the guy reading the author say something is blue and trying to find the hidden meaning, you are now claiming that I am embellishing the story. Just fuck off already if you are going to ignore huge portions of what I type and fill in the rest with whatever agenda you have in your head at the moment.
>>
>>379816626
cry some more
>>
>>379816626
adding is a part embellishing. The curtains thing was an example you retard, jesus, no wonder ff8 fags are so hated. You fags freak out when nobody is sucking your games dick.
>>
>>379817150
>The curtains thing was an example you retard
Yes, it is an example. One you used and yet don't seem to understand? It means that the reader is looking for additional meaning where it doesn't exist. That is part of what you are doing with my posts. That and just ignoring shit in general. Quit being a hypocrite anon. Just learn from this and move on.

>no wonder ff8 fags are so hated
This is /v/. Everyone is hated. Also I'm not a FF8 fag, but you would have to stop being a hypocrite and try and actually read/have an actual conversation to find that out.
>>
File: inigomontoya.gif (59KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
inigomontoya.gif
59KB, 320x240px
>>379815741

>objectively
>>
>>379817893
>That is part of what you are doing with my posts
no I read your post and you seem to be losing it because your words are being used against you. Now you are flipping your shit over saying that time travel is uncharted territory. Let it go man.
>>
>>379817893
Ive been reading it and you are reading way too into this, and your butt hurt is amazing it's being projected in the entire thread.
>>
>>379818359
>Now you are flipping your shit over saying that time travel is uncharted territory
You have been shown that you were being hypocritical, so now you are going to keep bringing this part up even though it proves you didn't read the whole sentence? BTFO so much that you are trying to shift into shitposting mode? Sorry but I'm not letting you off that easy. You aren't just some random shitposter anon. You are an ignorant hypocrite that is trying to cover up your mistake by switching to shitpost mode. Let your posts degenerate as much as you want anon. "I was only pretending to be retarded" doesn't work with me. You might as well give up on trying to cover up your mistake because I will just reply to every shitpost you throw my way, reminding you that you are an ignorant hypocrite that needs to spend more time reading before making a reply.

>>379818916
>>
8 is the prototype 15
>>
File: 1496935289907.png (138KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1496935289907.png
138KB, 375x375px
>>379819015
nice blog autismokun. This time I didn't read and proves that you embellish, and starved for attention. If I am a hypocrite that would mean you did embellish and over state, you can't have a hypocrite with out some one doing something wrong first. So keep it going because you are digging your own grave just so you can have attention.
>>
File: 1436461556649.jpg (219KB, 640x850px) Image search: [Google]
1436461556649.jpg
219KB, 640x850px
>>379819074

According to Kitase, FFVIII was a collection of the stuff he wanted to do in FFVII but couldn't. And despite people the internet turning the hate for FFVIII into a huge meme, it was very popular when it came out. Especially in Japan. This can be seen in so many of its ideas being repeated in FFX.

I find it ironic that people hate the love story and Rinoa so much, yet fawn over Yuna and the love story in X. Which Yuna is even worse than Rinoa. And the love story is little more than a teenage crush. This is not to say FFVIII had a good love story because holy hell, it killed Disk 3 and 4. But I'm pointing out that FFVIII was actually the prototype for FFX.
>>
>>379820183
Yuna is a far worse character, they like it because of muh graphics.
>>
>>379820183
>Yuna is even worse than Rinoa
Horseshit. Yuna is a girl who knows she's destined to die. Rinoa's a spoiled Antifa.
>>
>>379819954
Are you trying to pretend to not know what a hypocrite is now? Just so you know the insult that is being directed your way, I will explain and hope you are capable of understanding. A hypocrite is someone who claims an action is wrong, and then proceeds to commit that action.

It must hurt being insulted for a real personal flaw instead of something fictitious such as "autismokun". Well, I don't give a fuck if it hurts. We need less PC bullshit so I'm not going to stop attacking your ego.
>>
>>379820445

Rinoa had daddy issues and went off the rebel against him for pretty reasons. I'm not going to say her personality is justified because is certainly isn't. But Yuna had all those same issues magnified by a factor of 10. She also lacked Rinoa's peppy, genki personality. Even after she realizes she doesn't have to give up her life and fully gives herself to Tidus, she remains a shy little flower who leans on everyone else.

I think the team that made FFX-2 realized these flaws in Yuna and that's why she suddenly became an outgoing, energetic character. But again, that's bad development. Since there's no transition to that. She went from a girl who could barely talk to her friends to "I'm gonna be a pop star and sing in front of everyone in the world!"
>>
>>379820632
yeah then stop doing it. you hypocrite.
>>
>>379820632
are you ignoring the fact that you embellished and accuse others for it? Real talk are you autistic? if you say you are I'll leave the thread right now.
>>
>>379820803
Yamato Nadeshiko is a real thing, anon. The reason Yuna isn't "genki" is because she's that.

If you're gonna weeb, at least know what the fuck you're talking about.
>>
>>379821169

Why are you implying I don't know this? You also failed to read all of my post where I pointed out that she went from being that cliche to basically turning into Selphie in FFX-2.

It's pretty sad that you are trying to act like an expert because you read a trope online. Then don't even realize I was pointing that out.
>>
>>379821151
>are you ignoring the fact that you embellished
If you are actually trying to make this claim because you believe it to be true, then use actual quotes to show where I did that. I can then point out what you misread.

>autistic
Of course, when you misuse a word like this, it kinda automatically shows that you are at the very least trying to subconsciously shitpost. So I guess I can't expect you to use any quotes for me to clear up your misconception.
>>
>>379821326
You said Yuna has Rinoa's issues, maginified by a factor of ten, while lacking Rinoa's personality.

Rinoa disliked her father, while Yuna idolized hers, which is why she had trouble understanding why Tidus hated Jecht. Rinoa's magic was a lot more bullshit than Yuna's, because Yuna was raised into it, while Rinoa was "you got Sorceress nao boi".

Yuna doesn't share Rinoa's personality because that isn't the meme that the fuckin' Nips were trying to promote with her.

Talk to me about tropes, lil' nigger.
>>
File: 1483109742399.gif (983KB, 285x285px) Image search: [Google]
1483109742399.gif
983KB, 285x285px
>>379821382
I already did, the fact that you can't see it is your problem in the end.

I accuse you of this because of your hyper focus on a subject that is not that important and your quick to temper with your long posts, and even admiring you will reply to anything even shit posts. Plus your over embellished detail of this game with walls of text. Yeah it seems you are autistic. As promised I'll leave the thread.
I hope you get good therapy.
>>
>>379821885
admitting*
>>
>>379821326
>basically turning into Selphie in FFX-2.
Selphie's schtick is that her personality is an overcompensating act out of depression from all of her friends being dead.
>>
>>379806504
I can understand disliking the game but honestly some of these complaints have solutions built into the game mechanically.

>Draw the magic
Magic refinement is a shortcut around what is an awful grind.
>the parties constantly change
There is a one-button transfer for all junctions and magic stores. It's only really annoying if you want Laguna/Kiros/Ward to have a specific characters junctions and magic, which is still easily swapped.
>skip the GF summon animations
They have a "short" mode but you lose the advantage of boosting their damage.

I can understand disliking squall's personality but I think he was meant to be a cunt and was supposed to grow into a less edgy teenager as he gains responsibilities throughout the game (unless you saved the hotdogs).
>>
>>379821823

I said Rinoa had daddy issues. You can have daddy issues both in hating or loving your father. Yuna also had daddy issues in that she wanted to follow in his footsteps and make him proud. As well as fulfill everyone's expectations of being 'his daughter'.

>Talk to me about tropes, lil' nigger.
I bet you're quite the tough guy at your high school.

>>379822020

And Yuna's schtick in FFX-2 is she is becoming an idol to reach has many people as she can in a hope to find Tidus. The motivation is not the same, but the resulting personality is. Selphie also had aspirations of being a pop idol if you remember.
>>
>>379822661
The resulting personality is only outwardly similar at best though. Selphie's is over the top and not genuine because of her depression. Yuna's isn't nearly as extreme because she's more stable, she has a sense of purpose (finding Tidus).

Yuna's is only reminiscent of Selphie's because it looks that way comparative to her old personality.
>>
>>379823012

>The resulting personality is only outwardly similar at best though.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to.

>Yuna's is only reminiscent of Selphie's because it looks that way comparative to her old personality.
And that's the point I was trying to make. She flipped personalities. It's hard to imagine that Yuna would become like she was in FFX-2 even after all she went through. Of course the real reason is because a whole different team worked on FFX-2 and made her personality to fit the JPOP design they wanted. FFX as a series doesn't really care about consistency (see FFX-3).
>>
>>379823173
>It's hard to imagine that Yuna would become like she was in FFX-2 even after all she went through.
That's actually a fairly common Japanese trope.

Since, y'know, you know so much about tropes an' stuff.
>>
>>379805712
>ahead of it's time
But it's not. Final Fantasy sucks now. So it's exactly on time.
>>
>>379821885
>I already did
Nice quote there.

>autistic
Still going with this word without even being slightly close to its actual meaning. I dare say, are you trying to upgrade from simple shitposting to trolling? You have a ways to go, but I will consider it time well spent if I managed to convince an anon to not be so lazy in this day and age.
>>
>>379805712
While I'm sure I played some others before it, VIII is the one I have the most early memories of playing. Triple Triad was the shit, but the junction system was okay
>>
>>379823340

>That's actually a fairly common Japanese trope.
No it isn't. Go ahead and provide examples in anime or games where a girl makes such a severe transition as Yuna does.
>>
File: smug goblin.jpg (11KB, 175x174px) Image search: [Google]
smug goblin.jpg
11KB, 175x174px
>>379809048
>except I know none of them really did and they'll all reappear in Heavensward.
>>
>>379806504
>4) Draw the magic 99 times and junction it
CARD
CARD
CARD
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>379823889

All but one of them return. Just like in FFIV.
>>
>>379823173
>And that's the point I was trying to make. She flipped personalities.
Oh, I can agree with that.
The point I was trying to make was Yuna's X-2 personality isn't actually like Selphie's, it only seems that way comparative to her X personality.
Which you seem to get.

I will say that it might help if you consider her X-2 personality to be what Yuna's personality always really was, and that she kept it subdued and hidden due to her daddy issues in X, where you can see semblances of this when she opens up more around Tidus (like, say, the HA HA HA scene). At least, I've heard that as one interpretation.
>>
File: 1497129732805.png (29KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1497129732805.png
29KB, 657x527px
>>379805712
> tfw your ex never gave you back the game
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.