[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Maker Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

File: GameMaker-Studio-Logo.jpg (123KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
GameMaker-Studio-Logo.jpg
123KB, 1600x900px
Hey /v/ I'm in a motivational slump, anyone have any ideas for a game I can steal? Try to keep it story-light! I just want to make a fun game.
>>
>>379793183
Call of Duty
>>
>>379793183
Joust
>>
>>379793183
>anyone have any ideas for a game I can steal?

Top view or side scrolling spaceship shmup, i can tell you that for free.

>Try to keep it story-light!
That gonna cost ya, even if it's light.
>>
>>379793317
What is Joust? Like the horseback sport?
>>
Make a platformer featuring your weird sexual fantasies
>>
Top down shooter; you solve mysteries by entering the minds of people in a shrinkable ship and exploring their memories while protecting yourself from an arsenal of the subject resisting.
>>
make something like this

http://www.indiegames.com/2009/09/freeware_game_pick_journey_to.html
>>
>>379793464
Oh hey that's actually the last game I'm halfway though making. I just need a break from a rogue-lite space shooter. My issue it that it's way more fun to design items than levels...
>>
do you have artsy skills? or an art partner? or are you going to steal all the assets? show me some the kind of graphics you're able to produce and I'll give you ideas that suit the art style.
>>
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
-Top-down
-Singleplayer mode, local co-op, or online co-op if you have the chops
-Enemies and weapon types out the ass
>>
File: Capture (02).webm (2MB, 1092x614px) Image search: [Google]
Capture (02).webm
2MB, 1092x614px
>>379794032
I'm not the greatest artist unfortunately. I can make a fun game that doesn't look terrible at least.
>>379794020
Here's a quick sample from my saved webms
>>
>>379794032

This is what you should strive for, or at least come as close as a one man team could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZx5e_XAzlM
>>
File: BOOMERANG SAMPLE.webm (3MB, 1092x614px) Image search: [Google]
BOOMERANG SAMPLE.webm
3MB, 1092x614px
>>379794872
Holy shit, I've gotta step my game up
>>
>>379794481
Alright so vector graphics and geometry or something like that, that's fine, I suggest maybe going even more minimalist and slick, think mini metro.

Well I can't give you specific advice on a whole game, but I can tell you what I'd like to play. I'd like a game with a metric fuckton of builds, a ridiculous amount of stat complexity based on gear and powerups, where some things are so weird min/maxer could not even comprehend.

Like take the weapon system in super metroid, but add like 200 weapons with 3 or more different combinations of each, and have a level up system, where the more you use the stronger it gets, but the cap is easy to achieve, maybe 30-60 mins per weapon. That way people will feel like they acomplished something unique, but at the same time there's room for speculation and replay value.

And obviously it requires weird as fuck optional content that is not easily clearable. Just try to appeal the usual addictions people have, hoarding loot, gambling, constant feel of progression rewarded in short spurts, and if you can't provide much eye candy just pretend to be avant garde, or steal some very obsucre anime girls from an amateur jap and use them as placeholders, if shit is good you can upgrade with some low tier Deviant Artist that charges $5 per portrait and stuff like that.
>>
>>379794872
Fuck that. Pixel art is fucking hard despite what people think. It's a lot easier to make clean vector art in Illustrator.
>>
File: tumblr_oqj76rUM0J1uemqfco1_1280.jpg (83KB, 480x933px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oqj76rUM0J1uemqfco1_1280.jpg
83KB, 480x933px
>>379793183

a real designer is never short of ideas, you fucking scrub
>>
>>379795651
>Pixel art is fucking hard despite what people think
I've done sprites in the past, animated at that. if you think it's hard to do 2 or 3 frames for a few selected ships and the rest just have a two frame for engine exhaust gasses you're lazy.

>It's a lot easier to make clean vector art in Illustrator.

It looks total dogshit.
>>
>>379795594
Okay thank you for the well thought out input. So far it's a rogue-lite where you can swap out the way you, the way you shoot, and get a wide assortment of passive upgrades. My gimmick is that the only damage upgrades come by picking up new weapons. Which are guaranteed to drop at least one per level. So if you want to stay strong to keep up with the ramp up in difficulty throughout the game, you have to be constantly using new weapons. Weapons have durability, that can be fixed using the in-game currency for a higher price than it would cost to just swap it out. So if you do fine an OP build, you have to gauge if it's worth paying more to keep it and risk falling behind in the damage department. I want people to be able to use weapons they want, but add a benefit to constantly upgrading.
>>
>>379796123
>>It's a lot easier to make clean vector art in Illustrator.
>It looks total dogshit.

Not it you keep it simple like Paper Mario's artstyle. It's quick, easy, and looks good.
>>
>>379796390
One thing is to make a cartoon plumber and the other to make a spaceship shooter that looks like it was pulled from the cartoon plumber's game.
>>
File: Shock.gif (46KB, 542x413px) Image search: [Google]
Shock.gif
46KB, 542x413px
Can we just turn this into the regular amateur dev thread?

How's your game coming along, friends?
>>
>>379793183
An arcade-like game where you have to climb a giant tower to fight an unknown evil.
You would need to design game elements for vertical movement, keep the gameplay technical with a lot of avalaible options to make it fun.
This is just a short idea because I want you too design your own game rather than steal everything from random posts
>>
File: 1441497248668.jpg (25KB, 316x230px) Image search: [Google]
1441497248668.jpg
25KB, 316x230px
>>379793709
>want to make a light hypno high school RPG
>can't draw for shit, even if I had the dosh basically every artist for that fetish is terrible
>>
File: spoiler-alert.jpg (49KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
spoiler-alert.jpg
49KB, 800x640px
>>379796653
>How's your game coming along, friends?

Like a C-section in search of a surgeon. And a hospital. FML.
>>
File: 1386567000898.gif (146KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1386567000898.gif
146KB, 720x405px
>>379796653
Learning C#. My 'games' so far function as intended but they're nothing to write home about.

Came up with some ideas for future games last night, really helped me get motivated. Hoping to get some good work in tonight.
>>
>>379796653

Nice finished some stuff and am now cleaning up and organizing before i continue with more. Shit sucks though when u have to do something in a complicated way either due to my own incompetence or a problem with the engine
>>
>>379793183
can i create a simple topdown rpg in unreal? or should i learn sdl and make it from scratch?
>>
>>379799657
Good luck dude. What kind of ideas do ya got?
>>
>>379800698

U could do it in either, its more dependant on what ur more comfortable with. Idk if you really want to learn sdl and start from scratch though. You could probably get a basic rundown of what you want more quickly with unreal
>>
>>379800698
You can make anything in Unreal. But if you're doing it for the learning experience more than the game itself, learn SDL.
>>
>>379796653

FInished some art assets, but I'm garbage at art so its more of a "This will do" than a "Man I'm proud".

Did a neat trick for the local multiplayer (I'm in Gamemaker), bound the movement keys to variables and then, upon creation, each player object checks to see how many player objects there are (The first one created sees 1, so its player 1, second 2 etc) and then a switch tells the variables what keys they are based on that. That way, my movement code is just shit like "If keyboard_check(variable)" instead of separate blocks of code for each player. Tomorrow I'm looking in on reworking the code to allow for players to set the variables themselves, so they can path their own keys.
>>
File: 1409014221882.png (34KB, 334x334px) Image search: [Google]
1409014221882.png
34KB, 334x334px
>>379801309
One I've been thinking about a lot lately is basically just a Mega Man Legends knock off. All the "MML-inspired" games I've seen are either too different from what made the original games good or just straight up vaporware. Sometimes both.

I've also got some ideas written down about an RPG with a heavy focus on choice and permanent consequences. No karma, just pure cause and effect. The idea is for it to span multiple generations of a family to show the greater effect of your actions while overall staying fairly short to encourage replayability.
I know this one probably sounds like a bunch of buzzwords and also way outside the scope of a one man indie team, but it's not something I'm thinking about seriously for the foreseeable future either.

I know that's not a very interesting response, but I'm a little paranoid about giving away my current big idea since I'm so far away from actually starting on it. Also not trying to come off like an idea guy, this is just a bit of creative work I've been doing to stay motivated.
>>
>>379802837
>I've also got some ideas written down about an RPG with a heavy focus on choice and permanent consequences. No karma, just pure cause and effect. The idea is for it to span multiple generations of a family to show the greater effect of your actions while overall staying fairly short to encourage replayability.
Oh this one sounds fucking great. I don't think it's unfeasable to one-man it if you keep it short and small scale.
>>
>>379793183
its hard for one man team, but would you play a multiplayer game that combines genres?
Some people play an RTS game, building bases, training units etc while others play a first person RPG, completing quests, killing monsters etc.
The rts players will need to use/hire the rpg players to fight other rts players. It will have a system like Majesty, but the heroes will be real players.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.