[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tyranny Didn't Sell: The Usual Obsidian Flop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11

File: tyranny-carousel-now-available.jpg (76KB, 880x400px) Image search: [Google]
tyranny-carousel-now-available.jpg
76KB, 880x400px
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/paradox-admit-tyranny-sold-below-expectations-dlc-still-in-the-works.115226/

>“Obsidian did a great job of capitalising on the timing of Kickstarter and the wave of nostalgia for these type of titles,” goes his hypothesis. “We've seen that most of the titles after Pillars of Eternity, if you look at Wasteland, Torment - they haven't been anywhere near that kind of success. So maybe it's that a lot of nostalgia fed into the initial bubble and that's why. These games have a market, but it's never gonna be that peak [again].”

>Wester shoulders the responsibility for Tyranny’s marketing, which ran with the slogan: 'Sometimes, evil wins.' It was an approach that wisely brought Tyranny’s twist on RPG morality to the fore - but didn’t touch so much on its singular world and cast.

Huh. I wonder who Obsidiots will blame for Tyranny flopping.
>>
>>379765672
hasn't this same thread been made like 4 times? Really old news OP
>>
File: obsidian.jpg (773KB, 3516x1360px) Image search: [Google]
obsidian.jpg
773KB, 3516x1360px
HUH I WONDER WHY IT FAILED
>>
>>379765931
>what your average /v/irgin looks like
>>
>>379765792
try 30+
>>
>>379765672
Obsidian is a mediocre company that can't stand with its own original IPs and if left unchecked will make it their objective to design the most boring combat ever
>>
Fallout 3>fallout shitvegas
>>
>>379765672
Good. Loredumps belong on the trash heap. If i wanted to read i'd buy a book and not some overweight manchild's dnd campaign.
>>
>>379765672
>>379765931
I want RPG Codex to leave.
>>
File: 1446454636145[1].png (931KB, 1068x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1446454636145[1].png
931KB, 1068x1080px
If only a generous publisher was out there to get these poor fellows out of dire straits

You only need to sell your soul and dignity, easy peasy
>>
>>379766486
>obisdiancuck defending the flop this hard
>>
>>379765672
>Release pillars of eternity
>It's fucking garbage
>Release another similar game shortly thereafter
>People don't buy it
Woah, we should properly analyze what exactly happened here because this was totally unexpected!

In other news, our last survey has revealed that somehow, fire is ACTUALLY still hot.
>>
>>379766626
Go home Sensuki
>>
>>379765672
> full of nonsesical SJW pandering shit
> full of inconsistencies within the lore and story / gameplay
> shit gameplay
I wont why it failed
>>
>>379765672
More like TRANNY am I right?
>>
>>379766626
Should make Troika bashing threads about their games selling like shit because poor sales clearly denotes a bad game.
>>
File: orangutang.jpg (42KB, 702x700px) Image search: [Google]
orangutang.jpg
42KB, 702x700px
>>379765672
NOBODY FUCKING LIKES CRPGS

just make a game like dao/kotor/jade empire and you're set
>>
>>379766687
Somehow Pillars sold well it is really weird
Tyranny is kind of bad mechanically but has some nice writing in Act 1. Feels like an oldschool Bioware title. Everything quickly disintegrates after that though.
>>
I really liked the concept of Tyranny. Too bad the execution on it was mediocre and the game was clearly unfinished.

We're not getting any followup on Tyranny. This is sad.
>>
File: JohnHowardSmith.jpg (16KB, 398x384px) Image search: [Google]
JohnHowardSmith.jpg
16KB, 398x384px
>>379766361
Indubitably my dear boy, in Fallout 3™ is the ultimate Fallout experience; it's writing, world, and barely hold a candle to Fallout: New Vegas™
>>
>>379766894
Well they literally went under becuase their games were just as broken as obisidian. VTMB is only good with mods that fix the game
>>
>>379766915
Those games fucking suck though. All stuck in the awkward inbetween of CRPG and ARPG. Just go full Dragons Dogma and add a freeze time mechanic to manage your party.
>>
>>379766915
CRPG's are fine, the problem is the gameplay (it should be turn-based not real-time) and to a lesser extent the perspective.

Oh wait, actually the real biggest problem
THE STORY AND WRITING ARE FUCKING SHIT IN EVERY MODERN ATTEMPT AT A CRPG

Maybe they'd sell if they could write worth a damn.
>>
>>379766942
Pillars sold well because there's a lot of interest in the genre, those same people won't repeat their mistake after the abomination that was pillars of eternity.

For those unaware, the game shipped with the first draft of the story and it showed, massive inconsistencies, plot holes, outright bullshit and nonsense, terrible game breaking bugs (double clicking armor to equip it would permanently disable all feats on that character, loading an old save would not fix this) and a world that barely acknowledged your presence and actions (kill the local lord that has been absolutely terrorizing some shithole and nothing changes, no one talks about what happened etc.)
>>
>>379766894
>Troika

They deserved to go under.

VtMB was literally unplayable after the first third of a game. Completely broken in every possible way, poorly optimized to boot, they should pay the modding team more than developers except for the guy that wrote it.

Arcanum had a promising start and then devolved in worse version of Fallout 2's comical farce, with Gilbert Bates and co. Do not forget that most builds were either ludicrously OP or completely broken and that the game glitched hard all the way through.

ToEE was a competent RPG experience set in the blandest setting imaginable. Great Bugbear flanking simulator if you like that sort of thing.
>>
>>379765931
I am pretty sure that classic nu male is actually an amish man they kidnapped and put in front of the camera
>>
>>379765792
>4 times
OP was making it twice daily for several months. Why these threads aren't deleted, I don't know. These autists should be fucking banned.
>>
>>379766221
Try 100+
>>
>>379767323
And the art designs are all uninspired garbage. It's funny that games that are over 15 years old such as Ice wind dale and Torment look better than all these nu-CRPg's with three to five times the budget. CRPG's need to evolve away from the isometric perspective. As much as I hate DAO it shows that you can retain the feel of a CRPG with a third person perspective.
>>
>>379766426
some of us actually like reading videogames
>>
>>379767623
>/v/ likes DAO now
ayyy
>>
>>379767575
they're actually advertising threads for tyranny and obsidian
>>
>>379767786
>Being so retarded reading simple English is too much for you
Woah lad. American education at work eh?
>>
>>379767669
Do not ask of me to validate your lack of literacy.
>>
>>379767786
In DAO you can literally program your companion ai in-game
that shit was super cool
>>
Somebody needs to teach Obsidian the value of brevity. your audience being okay with reading isn't a license for bloated, indirect writing and exposition dump after exposition dump. it was particularly bad in the first couple of hours of Tyranny.

i think this is a problem with "nostalgia" driven games in general. what people have nostalgia for are the good bits but developers see an opportunity to revert to old bad habits because they're easier.
>>
>>379767991
Shut up Sensuki
>>
>>379768221
I really liked the first couple of hours of Tyranny! I hated Pillars though.
>>
>>379768404
I did too. Later on it just did not have the proper pace
>>
>>379767934
You wish it was that simple. OP has been posting the same threads in a cycle for the last 2 years. It's always based on his personal opinions and he rarely posts in them. All in an attempt to saturate /v/ into thinking the same way about the games he likes or hates.
>>
>>379767786
that's the first dragon age game, right?

It was okay. I bought it because it was meant as a throwback to old CRPG's. It was going more or less in the right direction that I wanted, so I gave them my money.

By all means it wasn't perfect. The shade levels or whatever the fuck should've been taken out back and shot, but most of the rest of the game was solidly okay/10. Could have been better, hope they take lessons learned and apply them to the next game.

But Bioware took my money and then decided that buying DAO meant actually, I didn't like CRPG's after all. And what I needed was a heaping of feminism, social justice virtue signalling, cardboard cut-out LGBTQ "characters", shitty level and quest design, and some of the worst writing in an RPG I've ever seen in my life for its sequels.

I don't know how they figured that, but they didn't get my money past the first scam.
>>
>>379765672
Hello spamfag.
>>>/global/rules/9
>>>/global/rules/10
Spamming and ban evasion are against the rules of 4chan.

>>379767575
He is banned, it's one guy, ban evading.
He reposts like 20-30 threads, and it's confirmed the same guy due to typing habits and filenames of images he reuses.
These threads are usually deleted but you do have to report them, linking rule violations usually helps.
>>
File: 1460097032521.png (569KB, 1021x906px) Image search: [Google]
1460097032521.png
569KB, 1021x906px
>>
File: 1460096680290.jpg (216KB, 1080x1820px) Image search: [Google]
1460096680290.jpg
216KB, 1080x1820px
>>
File: sarkpwns (2).jpg (54KB, 627x379px) Image search: [Google]
sarkpwns (2).jpg
54KB, 627x379px
>>
>>379769296
>trope
Literally have no respect for anyone who says this word
It shows they have no understanding of story telling or anything to do with Jungian archetypes
>>
File: ropecuck.png (172KB, 1117x1213px) Image search: [Google]
ropecuck.png
172KB, 1117x1213px
>>
>>379770473
>>379769916
>>379769296
Sawyer is a cuck but nigga knows how to make a Fallout game
>>
File: pillars of cukternity.jpg (359KB, 1665x1053px) Image search: [Google]
pillars of cukternity.jpg
359KB, 1665x1053px
>>
File: josh cuck sawyer.png (64KB, 1283x504px) Image search: [Google]
josh cuck sawyer.png
64KB, 1283x504px
tl;dr: Because he sucks at getting women in real life, he wants his characters to be as big of losers as he is
>>
>>379770940
>stillgray is now a conservative
times change. that being said, due to all the memeing of PoE prior to launch i still catch myself saying Pillars of Equality instead of Pillars of Eternity occasionally.
>>
>check twitter of developers expecting to see game progress updates
>It's actually just chock full of social justice virtue signalling about how much they love women and fags and hate evil white men
>usually can't even find ANY posts about their game

They're basically professional whiners somehow hired to do gamedev with no apparent qualifications or knack for it. If your game devs are constantly shitposting on twitter about this or that charity, plight, whatever, rather than what their work is supposed to be about, I start seriously questioning the quality of your studio and management's ability to hire qualified people.

Seriously, a blanket "no twitter or social media" ban would be a better option for these people than what they actually do.
>>
>>379771129
>I hate poorly written romance
That's fine Josh, I dislike your drivel too, you don't have to do it anymore.
>>
>>379766761
Ever since the first shitposting threads about this game I can't unsee it.
>>
>>379767786
/v/ loved both DAO and ME1 (and waifufags loved ME2 too) when they were new, the hate only started when Bioware made DA2/TOR and people decided that Bioware was never good and retroactively started hating those games.
>>
>>379770940
>Exactly. It's disgusting, and it's frankly horrifying
It's funny because...
>>
>>379765672
I liked the concept but the gameplay felt like shit. I hated it.
>>
Tyranny failed because PoE stripped down people's nostalgia goggles and showed them how bad of a combat system RTwP really is. It has neither the responsiveness of a real time ARPG nor the min-max planning of the turn based combat systems.

Even historically, RTwP exists because Infinity engine was originally designed for RTS and Black Isle slapped together an RPG system on top of it when that deal fell through.

Despite being an ugly, buggy mess, Wasteland 2 at least had an enjoyable TB combat system.
>>
>>379772159
DAO was always mediocre, and ME1 was always bad

It's just that bioware had a lot of fanboys who back then who couldn't see any problems with the games no matter how blatantly obvious they were.
>>
>>379771129
From the pic he seems to be complaining about unrealistic romances. Whats wrong with that? Having a character who's complelty different from you and showed no signs of interest suddenly wanting to fuck you into marriage or something is so dull.

Why would you want such a boring romantic story. If it's that simple then the romance mechanic is useless and shouldn't be included in the game.

There should be some semblence of struggle, even something as simple as actually showing interest. Romance coming from one quick event or unrealistic context is boring and only appealing to people who've never had a real conversation with a girl in real life
>>
>>379774168
Point proven.

Yes they had some obvious problems, and despite those they both managed to be fantastic character/story-centered RPGs. If you think DAO was mediocre you don't know the definition of the word, and if you think ME1 was bad you have shit taste (assuming you're actually into that type of game and not just pure gameplay bing bing wahoo stuff.)
>>
>>379765672
Because Obsidian fucking sucks. I admit I was fooled too by the evil publisher boogieman, but now its been proven and revealed with PoE and Tyranny. Fuck Obsidian. Fuck cRPGS. Fuck RPGCodex. Fuck /v/. Fuck me.
>>
>>379775717
He mostly points out to how gameplay in RPGs doesn't generally give enough room to write realistic romance because taking the character your fancy on a date generally isn't anywhere in the roadmap and looks weird in any kind of "quickly stop X from happening" plot.
>>
>>379770940
>>379770940

Yup its because shit like this. The tranny thing redpilled a lot of people.
>>
>>379770940
Why do liberals hyperbole the fuck out of everything? 'Horrifying'? Christ, it's a joke in a video game.
>>
>>379779036
It's 2015, you can't make those kinds of jokes.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.