[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was it developed so badly?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

File: unnamed.png (77KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
77KB, 300x300px
Serious question, /g/.

This game had a lot of potential, but it turned out to be as thrilling as a huge steaming pile of shit.

Why did they screwed this so badly?

>inb4 muh nintendo ds
I understand that a good smartphone game means death to nintendo's hardware, but still, there was a lot of economical potential for this thing.
>>
>>379756669
>This game had a lot of potential
it fucking didn't
>>
>>379756669
Better than Pay to Win games
>>
>>379756669
Because nyantic already had experience making shit smartphone games.
>potential
It was all a scam to let the black man tyrone steal your phone easier, why do you think all the dragonites and other rare pokes were in fuckked up neighborhoods?
>>
>>379756669
To nintendo this was just free advertising for sumo.
>>
File: boss.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
boss.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>379756669
>/g/
>>
>>379756669
The boom of normies playing this when it came out was because it was so basic
>>
Because it's just a less interesting reskin of the game the devs made earlier.

I guess someone at Nitendo liked Ingress or w/e it was called and let them make it.
>>
>>379756793
Yes it did.

>Had a connection to the real world
>Could have easily had real pokemon gameplay
>Was extremely popular, even with people who have never touched a video game before
>No trading even though that's a big part of pokemon
>Easily set up social interactions with things like bait
>Servers were completely unprepared

It would probably still be a fad no matter what, but it certainly could have done a lot more if they had actually invested money into the game
>>
>>379756669
Niantic's inability to handle such a large playerbase.
>>
>>379756793
Millions of normies went nuts for this bullshit.
Some of my friends also threw away something like 200€ into the shop.
They were willing to give away their fucking soul for a decent game.
>>
Is it even possible for me to challenge a gym without cheating?
>>
can you imagine a game like this only with the actual pokemon combat and trading system

could have even done things like if 2 people were homing in on the same pokemon, they could challenge eachother to a battle over it
>>
File: 1471057272025.png (213KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1471057272025.png
213KB, 500x374px
>>379756669
It's quite simple, really:
The entire draw of Pokemon is catching Pokemon, raising them and battling them for supremacy. The battle system is simple, but has a great deal of depth with abilities, statuses, type coverage, etc. PokeGo's battle system is "Mash on the screen. That's it."

This is the fundamental flaw of Pokemon Go. If the battle system isn't fun, then there's nothing keeping players engaged. This is coming from someone who played it religiously LONG after the normies dropped it.

Also,
>No local trading
>No local battling
>These are both things that were promised in the original teaser
>>
>>379757471
Not now, because the level scaling is awful, since you can only smash your dick on the screen as move.
>>
File: 1469984631037.png (411KB, 1089x529px) Image search: [Google]
1469984631037.png
411KB, 1089x529px
i would have been completely consumed by this game if its current iteration was like this on release , and was a little more "balanced"

id love to try and take gyms with some of my weird underdog bros like Octillery and Girafarig
>>
Has anything good ever been released on a phone? It has a large retard demographic, so it's irresistible for developers to build in some sort of scam.
>>
>>379757551
I get it, I know why it sucks.
I just want to know WHY did the developers went full retard at this level.
It looks like they wanted to make an awful game...
Is it the true reason? they wanted to make an awful game?
>>
If it had actual battles and trading people would still be going fucking nuts over it even now
It'd be like the release of red and blue but with a bunch of 20-something adults running around playing it instead
>>
>>379757551
>actual pokemon combat system is used
>slowly but steadily all gyms worldwide get replaced by teams straight outta smogon

I don't know how'd I'd feel about that
>>
>>379756669
Depending on what you believe, you can say it's Nintendo just using it to promote their mainline games since it did actually get quite of a bit of people back by the time Sun/Moon came out so they really had no intention of taking it very far. One of my friends that got Sun/Moon really didn't like the fact that mainline games have more to do with battles than just catching shit funny enough.

You can also say that Niantic were very incompetent or just didn't care in handling the huge influx of players and focusing on the wrong issues like actually removing features as opposed to releasing more content. I mean, once it did blow up in popularity, I can imagine there wasn't much incentive to keep the train going in the long term since they were getting a fuckload of money anyway.
>>
>>379757915
It's a free to play game. Therefore, the Pokemon Company likely forced Niantic to dumb down the battle system and not make it too similar to the main-line games. They didn't want Pokemon Go to compete with the 3DS titles. It sucks, but it makes sense.
>>
It looks slightly better now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2yBcHUIKBo
>>
>>379756669
Niantic has a bad track record here in the valley. Bad management and incompetent devs
>>
>>379758206
>>379758574
Maybe this is the closest to the truth...

But, still, I can't understand why they didn't want to complete the job and make even more money from this.
Yes, they made millions from this crappy game, but they had the chance of swimming in gold from this story.

Also:
> get 60€ from a single sell
or
> slave people forever with microtransactions for years to come
>>
File: Oh No.png (894KB, 623x663px) Image search: [Google]
Oh No.png
894KB, 623x663px
>>379758984
If the Pokemon Company actually wanted to make money we would have already had a proper Pokemon MMO as well as a Pokemon Snap sequel on Wii U.

Face it, champ in the making, The Pokemon Company is allergic to money.
>>
>>379759459
I'd say a pokemon MMO would lose them money
Nowadays they can get away with selling a full price game every god damn year to 10 million+ people
there's not an mmo in the world that can match this
>>
>>379760307
That's a fair point, I suppose. No Pokemon Snap on the Wii U is inexcusable, though.
>>
>>379758923
>the valley

Niantic is based out of San Fransisco that explains a lot
>>
>>379756669
Nintendo deliberately forced Niantic to stunt Go's growth as it was solely intended to drive interest for SuMo. Go is ultimately neither an in-house or Nintendo-based game and as such, Nintendo was actively working to diffuse the historically massive fad since it was for a product that isn't natively there's (ie. SuMo over Go)
>>
>>379756669
>/g/

Who?
>>
I'm not sure they understood how n
Big this game would be

But no excuses for not having trading or battling when it was in original trailer
>>
File: rms-20070401.jpg (34KB, 403x447px) Image search: [Google]
rms-20070401.jpg
34KB, 403x447px
>/g/
>>
>>379758984
If you just look at their decisions after release and after all of its initial popularity, you can see that their management, decisions and foresight are fucking awful.
>>
File: van.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
van.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>379757005
trying to start something bub?
>>
>All the pokemon interaction shit like pokemon amie, contests and minigames that didn't got to Pokemon Go
You had ONE job.
>>
>>379761568
it didn't even have god damn pokemon BATTLES

that alone would have extended it's lifetime fivefold
>>
>>379757005
I literally opened this thread to post that.
>>
>>379756669
It went to shit when they shut down the tracker websites. I'm not going to walk around aimlessly hoping I can find something, and end up with a fucking pidgey.
>>
>>379756669
I don't have a source so I could be wrong, but I do remember reading somewhere that Niantic knew the game was incomplete at launch but they wanted to launch it anyways since they were tired of waiting.
>>
>>379761376
>tfw this guy ate his own joe jam live

Fucking disgusting.
>>
>>379756669
>Game about collecting pokemon in "real life"
>Can't battle anyone

How do you fuck up this hard.
>>
>>379756669
>no trading
>no multiplayer battles
>requires constantly grinding candy
>fuck you if you want to power up a rare pokemon
>replaced the perfectly functional turn based battle system for tapping the screen randomly like a retard
I'm actually impressed Nintendo found a developer worse than Game Freak.
>>
File: 1404527825891.jpg (70KB, 800x900px) Image search: [Google]
1404527825891.jpg
70KB, 800x900px
>>379756669

>Why was it developed so badly?

Because it's a mobile game, it's by default going to be utter shit and targeted toward your 56 year old aunt and 13 year old niece. Also it wasn't developed by Nintendo but rather an offshoot of google employees with a bare minimum understanding of Pokemon.

The game is garbage. I started playing it in late March and got to level 30 and it's just all over the fucking place especially the battling which is broken beyond repair and rife with cheaters/spoofers.
>>
File: 1347514984137.jpg (39KB, 698x575px) Image search: [Google]
1347514984137.jpg
39KB, 698x575px
>>379763283

>no multiplayer battles

I wouldn't see why they'd add it. By default it would just be gym battles and instead immediately be decided based on combat power. Hurray can't wait to battle my friend who ALSO has nothing but Vapereons, Rhydons, Snorlax, Blisseys, Dragonites, Gyaradoss, and Tyrantars.
>>
File: 1496782911191.png (42KB, 284x339px) Image search: [Google]
1496782911191.png
42KB, 284x339px
>>379757551

>This is the fundamental flaw of Pokemon Go. If the battle system isn't fun, then there's nothing keeping players engaged.

I don't think you understand just how dumb and watered down a normie likes their games. Pokemon Go isn't targeted at anyone playing mainline Pokemon games. They're targeted at the 21 year old college girl who's never touched a game in her life outside of something like Candy Crush or a game or two of Mario Kart. My sister, cousin, few of my female friends ect don't like battling, they believe the concept of the game is to 'catch'em all'

I fucking hate that motto that's been part of the series the western world due to 4kids when they introduced the games twenty years ago.

>This is coming from someone who played it religiously LONG after the normies dropped it.

they'll still play it if Niantic plays their cards right. Also normies tend to play something like this during the Summer especially when people congregate to places such as the boardwalk or city festivals and what not.

>no local battling

It would be decided immediately by whoever has the largest CP's. No strategy whatsoever, just button mashing.
>>
>>379756669
>no trading
>no real time battling
>retarded battle system for no reason
>battles only against AI
>no real point in battling against the AI anyway, gyms were incredibly easy to overturn
>poorly implemented team systems that didn't really amount to anything, you picked a color and that was that
>completely unprepared servers and took way too long for them to fix their shit
>incompetent devs incapable of understanding what the playerbase wants, keep fucking up with retarded design choices
It had potential, but it was clear from the first couple weeks it wasn't going anywhere. Even if Nintendo cares about their consoles more than handheld, there was no reason to not give everyone at least trading and real time battles. If you're not going to have a story mode, it has to have those, and it didn't. People would keep buying consoles and pokemon games so long as they had good story, new regions and pokemon. GO only had to be like a gen or two behind and it wouldn't steal the playerbase at all.
It's a glorified catching simulator. A wasted opportunity. It's sad, but that's what it is.
>>
>>379757443

>Some of my friends also threw away something like 200€ into the shop.

Lol people seriously paid money for this??? You can get every fucking thing for free just by going to Pokestops and they're everywhere as long as you don't live in some rural area.
>>
>>379764298
>By default it would just be gym battles and instead immediately be decided based on combat power.
Then drop that shitty system and just use levels like they did in the main game? They could even keep rare candies like they have in the game right now. Just add a cap. Maybe a little variance equivalent to IVs and that's that. Regular battle system like in the games.
Woah, now you have a perfectly functional way to do multiplayer battles and without having to dumb down gameplay to mashing one button. Insane, right?
>>
>>379765573
I really don't understand that mindset, battling is what you logically do after capturing pokemon, it's always been like that. I even had friends carry that mindset when they played through S/M, they loved capturing rare shit but hated any concept of battling with them.
>>
Also, thanks to PokéGo, nobody will ever pay attention to AR games like this anymore. Niantic was a mistake.
>>
>>379756669
The company contracted to make it was literally a front for the CIA or one of the other intelligence agencies, I forget which.
It wasn't supposed to be good.
>>
File: 1471060149019.jpg (49KB, 690x364px) Image search: [Google]
1471060149019.jpg
49KB, 690x364px
I really don't understand why they decided to go with an active time battle system. First of all, it's a mobile game: this means you have very limited processing power and, unless you have a crazy top-of-the-line Japanese gaming phone, you can't do shit.

Secondly, the original source material features a turn-based battle system which is PERFECT for mobile games. So, if they had done a turn-based system it would have
A. run better on mobile devices and
B. been closer to the original source material that people actually like.

How are they this stupid?
>>
>>379756669
I missed out on the nice hype train of this because I'm a poor loser who still uses a flip phone, oh well.
>>
>>379766764
You didn't miss out on anything if you like good games.
>>
>>379766846
Yeah but it reminded me of me still being a loser with a flip phone.
>>
>>379766846
I disagree. I dropped it after a couple weeks, but honestly, it was pretty magical witnessing the hype live. I went to the city a few times solely to play this, and it was actually amazing seeing literally everyone playing this. Whether you could see their screens or not, you just knew that's what was on everyone's phones. I'm already pretty nostalgic about those couple weeks I played before I dropped it.
>>
>>379767189
That could still be a thing though, if the game wasn't shit. Sure, the numbers would always be lower by now, but you'd still see people close to pokestops or gyms and you'd know why they were there.
Nowadays it's just dead because it's a shit game. The hype existed because it was a pokemon game where you'd catch pokemon in the real world. As soon as people realized that was that and it wasn't going anywhere, it died.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.