[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it about competitive games that gets people so mad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (155KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
155KB, 1920x1080px
What is it about competitive games that gets people so mad?
>>
Losing
>>
They are competitive. Assfaggots/Arts/Moba are frustrating because you are only 10% of the players in the game so matches generally feel beyond your control.
>>
File: 1248230301075.gif (554KB, 295x221px) Image search: [Google]
1248230301075.gif
554KB, 295x221px
>>379719101

>Long games with minimal individual impact so you can easily blame other people for your losses but at the same time loathe having "wasted you time" playing a 40 minute game just to lose

Semen slurping e-sports.
>>
they are too impotent to participate in real life competition (sports, academics, the corporate world) so they resort to competitive video games.

And despite having hundreds if not thousands of hours of gametime, they still suck absolute dick at the game yet continue to play it.
>>
>>379719101
People like to think they’re good so get mad when they lose
>>
>>379719101
t. has never played a sport
>>
>>379719101
because retarded casuals think their ranks in these games mean anything so they get mad when the arbitrary number might go down
>>
People have this weird obsession with becoming pros or super good at the game so they can brag to friends, so when they lose games they get incredibly upset because "I know I'm good enough to not be in this rank!"
>>
>>379719353
I'll accept that for League of Legends but an Overwatch game is 10 minutes. 20 in comp.
>>
>>379719101
Ego.
>>
>>379719101
Low input and skill ceiling leads to the situation where anyone can play, lowering the average skill level as a whole, which leads to more people getting upset because they believe they're a master of the game when they aren't even a knee deep in the pool. That gets people upset.
>>
>>379719101
At what is Braum casting his q in this pic?
>>
Despite being naturally competitive and verbally encouraging the player to learn and improve, their design allows for zero accountability. There's always some excuse that you can find that doesnt involve your own incompetence
>My teammates are shit, its not my fault
>These characters are too unbalanced, its not fair
This only gets worse with trash like mobas where one mistake can cause the game to be a 50 minute dragfest where it becomes impossible to actually fight your opponents
>>
File: 1495998890762.png (269KB, 362x444px) Image search: [Google]
1495998890762.png
269KB, 362x444px
>>379719101
>REEE REE, this game is so easy I'm better than you
>low skill ceiling
>he doesn't play fighting games to where it's all up to the individual
>pumps 5k hours into mobashit and still average
>>
>>379719101

Free shit attracts the lowest common denominator. What kinds of reactions do you expect this kind of people to have?
>>
>>379719101
Retards play a team based game so they can blame the other people on their team for them being shit.
>Nothing is ever my fault everyone else is bad!

You still get people raging in 1v1 games but its way less often
>>
>>379719101
Competitive games don't make people mad, competitive team-based games do.
You have very limited control over how your team performs. If your teammates decide they want to be retarded there's nothing you can do, that's what's frustrating.
>>
>>379719101
>What is it about competitive games that gets people so mad?

Competition
>>
>>379719973

>My teammates are shit, its not my fault

Wouldn't you be able to use that excuse in any team sport?
>>
>>379719101
>league
the fact that you're stuck with retards for 20 minutes at the minimum.

broodwar is superior to league in every way because of this.

>overwatch
havent played it
>>
>>379720316
It's this. People see their team mates make mistakes and get frustrated because everyone thinks they are doing their best.

Also ranking systems that people obsess over and get upset when they go down.
>>
>>379720162
>fighting games
bigger meme than assfaggots

also there's no nigger chimps who play assfaggots so it's automatically superior
>>
>>379720558
Yes but team sports you have to play with the same people for many games generally while assfaggots give you matchmaking to pander to solo tards. There's zero accountability in assfaggots because you're just one of tens of thousands of anonymous faces while irl you'd generate a reputation as a shithead in your local area.
>>
File: 1497039208928.jpg (21KB, 313x344px) Image search: [Google]
1497039208928.jpg
21KB, 313x344px
>team game
>waah my team is shit, fucking smurfs, tryhards!
>we know that feel bro :( #elohell

>1v1 game
>waah you're cheap, button masher, tryhard
>lmao get good crybaby

more moving parts to blame makes it more normal and accepted to whine as it shifts responsibility
in 1v1 games, even if your opponent mashed buttons randomly YOU lost, it wasn't because your healer, tank or dps underperformed and no matter what buzzwords you throw out parts of you know that

stop playing team "esports" with anything but a premade team vs other premade teams
>>
>>379720872
>Playing with your friends
Fuck that noise.

I dont even mind whether they are good or bad, I cant fucking stand the excuses
>>
Unhealthy climbing systems, which make everyone refuge their egos in Duning-Kruger syndrome

Overwatch is climbable though unlike LoL, Overwatch evaluates your performance much better than LoL and assigns points accordingly, also, it has shorter games so your chances are increased
>>
>expect memes
>people actually making good observations about huge flaws in the inherent design of these games

You're alright sometimes, /v/.
>>
File: 53098_Mahoney_Mike-RLM Co_opt.jpg (14KB, 180x225px) Image search: [Google]
53098_Mahoney_Mike-RLM Co_opt.jpg
14KB, 180x225px
Autism
>>
>>379721763
I would never touch garbage like OW but the slightly less garbage option of HOTS assigns points in the most retarded way imaginable. I can't foresee OW being better if they use the same system.

HOTS also evaluates your team play division based on your personal MMR, so if you have worse single player draft luck than your friends, you can end up +/- 4 divisions higher or lower than they are. It's retarded.
>>
>>379719101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iywaBOMvYLI
>>
>>379722548
Too bad for FPSs?
>>
League would be a good game if it wasn't so fucking long.

You invest your time into it and you get a dick up your ass for 40 mins. Even if you win, that satisfaction gets overhelmed by the hatred towards other players, because in league, you need a team.
No matter how good you are you need at least 1 good person, even as a cannon fodder.

There is always a complete deadweight in the team who either you or one of your teammate has to carry. Even if you are that deadweight.
You are treated like complete shit when you try your best, not even the team but the game itself doesn't give you enough reward.

Lets see what you get when you are good:
A chest, which can contain something good, but its still just a gamle.
A mastery rank which is pretty much wortless.
A miserable amount of IP which is not enough for anything. (runes and champions are still not free, which is fucking laughable, don't give me the "progression" shit because its not progression at all)
And a label which shows that, you are either good are bad at the game.
Aneurism, because the game helds you as a fucking hostage for 30+mins, especially if you are stuck with people who have absotely zero clue how to finish a game

TL;DR
Not worth investing the time in it, Its more like a bad habit than actual enjoyment.
>>
>>379719101
Dota and such lasts 20-40mins and you can take a measure of the teams in 5mins. If you're team is shit, its half an hour playing a losing game. There is no giving your best at that point. The outcome of all the encounters you can plan ahead results into you losing.

In class based FPS everybody has a role to fill. The shittiest match is not one where everything ends quickly. Its when your team comes to an halt, because nobody is filling a role that should be filled. And if you do switch to that role, nobody is filling your role. You can't push, because nobodies taking the defences down. And once you take the defences down, nobody is pushing.
>>
>>379719101
Casuals get suckered into believing that they're anything but completely shit because they get a rank badge to display on their profile.

Naturally they want to keep their rank up, so they can brag about it to their friends.
>>
Overinflated sense of skill
>>
I can't say this for dota 2 but I know overwatch was a much happier game before ranked. I had a 60% winrate before ranked, most of my matches were very close games and everyone generally had fun and only bitched if there was a crappy sniper. Then ranked came out and people would get mad I picked mercy instead of lucio after bitching at me to go support like we're playing in the pro meta and not pub meta. On top of all that everyone was all stressed about how they were going to calibrate or lose points or whatever the fuck and it severely impacted their performance.

I tried coming back to overwatch way later with an old friend from high school and it was the same level of stress as dota with much less involvement. It's kind of like if someone made you put on the fatman suit from MGS2 to change your ram in case it shorts out. Blizzard should take ranked out and focus on more fun stuff like lucio ball. That's the kind of game overwatch is, if people want to tryhard they can play csgo.
>>
>play hanzo in qp
>some tryhard immediately says "autistic hanzo picker, gg we lose"
>intentionally feeds, we get rolled
>"enjoy your free win, thank the hanzo retard"
I think it's due to low-ish IQ and/or an absence of any real world success, so success inside the game is strongly connected with their ego.
>>
>>379725545
What the hell did you expect? You are playing in a competitive enviroment, where people want to win. they want glory, they don't want fun, they want a victory screen at the end of the match. Of course they'll be mad if you are not put everything into winning.

Play normal games, where you can have your fun.
>>
>>379719101
People lose and get mad, it's called having a winners mentality. You won't get anywhere if winning doesn't mean anything to you.
>>
>>379726352
There are super angry, hyper-competitive people in qp too and it's fucking cancer. People that absolutely can't have fun unless they win.
>>
>>379726904
I'm one of those, go suck a duck dick faggot, play minecraft.
>>
Team based games are easy cancer storms, moreso if it's a moba where you farm for close to half an hour before you get the fun discovery that half your team has no clue what they're doing.
>>
trash dogshit bad players
>>
>>379727056
Live a little man. Instead of killing the dancing soldier, maybe join him?
>>
Getting mad is just a reaction to sucking ass

Anyone who gets mad is always shitting it up. They will try to scape goat the noob on their team but deep down inside they know it's their own fault they are stuck in the noob league and this is what frustrates them the most
>>
>>379726473

Learning to lose gracefully is almost as important as winning.

Nobody wants to be on a serious team with anyone who flips out at first sight of things going wrong.

See s1mple from csgo. He's really good but couldn't be on a good team for a long time because he rages like crazy when ever something goes wrong
>>
File: 1488951745553.png (451KB, 575x417px) Image search: [Google]
1488951745553.png
451KB, 575x417px
>>379719101
Is it me or is League the most snowbally MOBA?

With HotS you can turn it around with an objective and team XP and no items keeps one guy from stomping your team.

In Dota 2 you have heroes that come online later on even when behind and the core of the gameplay allows for punishing mistakes even when you're behind.

In League a carry can have a bit of cs and a couple kills above your team's carry and they can faceroll and generally play like a retard and still come ahead. They have to consistently play like absolute garbage to lose the lead. It makes the surrender option a must for League and only League.
>>
>>379727382
No, fuck you, fun is for faggots. See you at pride.
>>
You must have a low testosterone level if you don't get it.
>>
>>379730313
HotS it depends on the map really since some maps give you a fuck ton of XP for objectives which can push you far ahead.

But 90% of the time I would say HotS has too much rubberbanding on XP.
>>
>>379730313
I don't know about hots or dota but league is snowbally in a wrong way.
Even if you have the lead, the majority of the playerbase has no fucking clue what to do with a lead.
I have seen this so many times that a game which has been won a long long ago still goes on, because both team lacks knowledge and one is turtling while other one is pushing accomplishing nothing for several minutes.
The best part of it that this problem can be solved so fucking piss easily by splitpushing, but League players want to kill other players a lot more than take objectives, it gives more satisfaction than killing the first turret for example, yet that first turret has shittons more impact to the game than a kill.
This is why snowball champions who can go out of control are popular, because they don't rely on creep score, but kills.
>>
>>379721763
Any system that assigns arbitrary points based on things unrelated to winning and losing are garbage and generally exploitable. You used to be able to reach high MMR in Dota 2 by spamming Zeus because he did so much damage globally that you could essentially bypass your MMR calculation from win/loss.
>>
It's because you can reach pro levels just by casually playing ranked. It's exactly the same as high school football, where people take it way too seriously because they have the chance to go pro just from playing casually.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.