[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Evil Within

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

File: PsychoBreak_Vista.png (435KB, 914x458px) Image search: [Google]
PsychoBreak_Vista.png
435KB, 914x458px
>everyone and their dog tells you this game is shit
>get it on Steam Sale
>it's actually incredible
Garbage intro stealth segment aside I am having a fucking BLAST with this game.
The emphasis on stealth, trapping and environmental awareness is fucking good, and feels like a real evolution of what made RE4 so fun and replayable.
Why does nobody like it?
>>
Its a great game, alot of people didnt like it becsuse it felt slow, took too long to get going or they dont understand the concept of ammo conservation and run out of ammo and blame the game
>>
It's a good game, yeah
>>
>>379711365
I want a GOTY version for PS4
>>
Yeah it was nice but it lacked replay value unlike RE4.
>>
>>379711365
I guess it's because other games have done the same things better, like RE4. Though I haven't played them myself. I personally really liked TEW because of its trippy, fucked up horror that didn't make sense at times, but still entertained me. It wasn't super scary, but it was really tense throughout. I enjoyed and hated the save room theme song because I was supposed to associate it with safety and saving, but I was sure something was gonna go wrong there eventually.
>>
Is the full game way better than the demo lets on? I played the demo and it felt one of those games where you just hold forward and the game pretends you're in danger and that things are chasing you but there's no chance of you not being able to get away
>>
>>379711365
Sequel when?
>>
>>379711872
No youre actually going to die alot if you dont plan a certain route, and conserve your ammo and such. Its not a walking sim
>>
>>379711872
OP here, this is why I didn't bother with the game, I really thought it was a lot of QTEs and running from scripted garbage, and the stealth portion at the beginning of the full game didn't help my opinion.
Once you get out of the asylum which is the intro of the game, it starts really getting its shit together and becomes quite fun.

The black bars are really weird though.
>>
>>379711365
I can't understand why others abhor the style of TEW. It's literally good in most of it's parts and has me wanting to go back and play on Akumu. I can agree that the stamina bar is ridiculous, the ammo management on higher difficulties is a bit too unforgiving and the stealth is a bit icky. But the boss fights minus the last are great. Really hope to see TEW 2 on E3 with more innovation and a more refined story. Oh and more death scenes, pretty good on the gore.
>>
>>379711365
i think it would actually be amazing if it had a better protagonist and melee followups
>>
>>379712124
They patched the option to remove the black bars out long ago. Try again, nigger.
>>
>>379712539
Instead of being a dickhead you can explain this further, as it was not in the Graphics or Gameplay options menu.
>>
>>379712539
Wrong they remove half of the black bars but they are still there and the game runs like dog shit still.
Also the DLC for the chick was literally a sack of shit and is just shitty hide and seek.
Game mirrors RE4 but RE4 was actually fun unlike this piss poor attempt at horror.
>>
>>379712623
>>379712691
>half
Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4Hpvx23buE
>>
Becasue it's an awful experience.

The direct comparison is Resident Evil 4.

We can look at 3 games Shinji Mikami was involved in and their various degrees of success.

>Resident Evil 4
>Shadows of the Damned
>The Evil Within

Resident Evil 4 had a lot of campiness to offset the horror.It was a really good balance, one of the only perfect balances.

Shadows of the Damned is straight up camp. It works because it doesn't ever try and be serious.

The Evil Within is on the complete other side of the spectrum. It doesn't work, because theres no relief or levity. It's just boom boom boom go go go.

The mechanics in Evil Within are not terrible. It's just it does a really shitty job of getting you acclimated.

The Introduction is
>Stealth Section
Then
>Village, a combination of stealth and gunfighting
Into
>Absolute Arena Shooter, very little stealth options
This kind of continues for a majority of the game, then it backtracks and throws a lot of stealth at you at the end, which feels insanely out of the blue.

The narrative doesn't make sense because it's poorly presented. I genuinely was more interested in the sub plot of the optional letters I was finding than the in game story.
>>
>>379713176
Nice leddit spacing, bud.
>>
>>379713176
The plot kind of makes sense like how most survival horror games plot makes sense, through the optional journal entries that slowly piece together what went wrong.
>>
File: Brendan_Fraser_cropped.jpg (98KB, 837x892px) Image search: [Google]
Brendan_Fraser_cropped.jpg
98KB, 837x892px
>>379711665

>A GOTY edition for a game that didn't win any GOTY awards
>>
>>379711365
>it's actually incredible
stopped there
is not a meme, this game is sadly bad
i hope they announce a new one and they fix the gameplay a little bit
>>
>>379712906
Still did black bars on my screen when I played even with the bars turned off.
Hell it still does the bars on ps4 as well.
>>
>>379713585
You know what he means. A version with the dlc included on disc.
>>
>>379713668
Why would you lie on the internet, anon? That video I posted is the PS4 version. No black bars.
>>
>>379713528
Sure, the "plot" makes sense, but it's incredibly poorly presented.

The actual events of Evil Within are just a series of nothings mashed together, but you realize it's all some fucking collective dream sequence.
>>
I think it's a pretty good game. I liked it until the city parts, there it becomes way too action oriented with shooting through hordes of enemies. That wasn't really what I was expecting from a game that was supposed to be the "return to classic survival horror".
>>
File: frpvymz.jpg (62KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
frpvymz.jpg
62KB, 960x540px
I enjoyed the game up until this Bitch's boss segments.
>>
>>379713883
What a casual. Let me guess, you didn't upgrade your sprint?
>>
>>379713668
You can even turn them off on the PS3 version now. It came first in a PC update and ended up on all other versions eventually.
>>
>>379713220
>leddit spacing

I'm so fucking sick of this meme. People have been posting in this style on 4chan probably since 03, and definitely since 06.

>>379713176
>The narrative doesn't make sense because it's poorly presented

This pretty much killed the game for me, overall it isn't cohesive. The jarring cuts and narrative, environmental, and gameplay jumps remind me staggeringly of DMC2's absolute shit show.

At least that game had the excuse of trying to be retarded.
>>
>>379714209
>revising history
As expected of a redditor.
>>
>>379713176
The game was actually supposed to be more of a sci fi thriller than what we got. Bethesda basically forced mikami to make "not-re4" for his first game with them. This is why this game feels like such an incohesive mess. They had to flesh out the story in DLC, for fucks sake. The game has so much potential but you can tell it probably went through some sort of development hell.
>>
I wanted to love it but it just wasn't the true survival horror I wanted. For what it is it's actually alright but I'd be able to enjoy it much more if the performance on PS4 wasn't absolute DOGSHIT. Didn't this game get last gen versions too? I can't even imagine how bad performance be.
>>
>>379713980
I played it at launch. At this point I can't remember a thing about the game except my displeasure with her boss fights.
>>
reminder that some cunt on gaf all but confirmed EW2 is in crunch time atm
>>
>>379713585
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqMblpSqhgM
>>
>>379714458
Fags like yourself shouldn't comment on games you haven't played in years or since patches.

You're the type to shit on Ubishit games for bugs or glitches that don't even occur anymore, instead of their actual flaws.
>>
>>379714727
Not him, but game's level design is shit, and so actually all bosses, don't know what you're implying calling him casual
Narrative is shit and whole game is just bashed and mashed all Mikami's mad ideas into one game without any substance
>>
>>379714727
anon I love this game, but first impressions are everything. This game shit the bed pretty hard at launch
>>
>>379715387
Get into specifics or fuck off, You can't just claim "everything is shit" and expect me to take you seriously.
>>
>>379715481
>buying games at launch like a retard
>"durr, patches don't matter"
>>
>>379714727
>Fags like yourself shouldn't comment on games you haven't played in years or since patches.

But that fight hasn't changed since launch, it's still the exact same load of unintuitive shit.
>>
>>379715604
Not that guy but to be honest I think we let developers/publishers get away with way too much. Once upon a time there was actual QA and if you bought a game it would work because devs didn't have the option to just patch it. Now they all put out half finished shite with a vague promise of fixing it later.
>>
>>379715604
>it's okay to release broken shitty products as long as they fix it later
>>
>>379711365
It's alright but it starts to lose focus after a while. Stealth segments start becoming more frequent in the middle and then the game says "fuck it" and starts showering you with ammo and even gives you a turret at one point. Furthermore, RE4 worked well because of its precise aiming system. The fire rate was slow but accuracy was totally on you thanks to the 100% accurate laser sight. In Evil Within, the fire rate is just as slow but it's possible to miss even if you're dead on your target because it's using the generic crosshair where a bullet can land anywhere within it's diamond shaped crosshair. That's fine for most games with a high fire rate and ammo count and you're expected to miss often, but Evil Within isn't any of those things. Also, partially regenerating health ruins a lot of anxiety the game could have had otherwise, and I feel like they did that in place of proper difficulty balancing. The last level is also all over the fucking place, both thematically and gameplay wise.

Even considering it's fundamental flaws, it's not that bad but it's a shame that it turned out the way it did. I imagine that Bethesda, the publisher, was looking at how the game was coming along and said "No, this isn't going to work. Use a simpler crosshair, have regenerating health, throw in a turret section, ect." Either that or Tango Gameworks implemented that shit themselves in an attempt to attract the western audience more, which comes off as unnecessary seeing how successful RE4 was in the first place. If they just did RE4 all over again, which they almost did with EW, then it would have been perfect.
>>
>>379715604
I don't want to believe this post is real.
>>
>>379715817
I never said that.
>>379715763
Yeah, but it's not like we can stop dumbasses from buying those unfinished games (TPP comes to mind).
>>
>>379711365
They got the refreshed nostalgia backlash Resident evil 4 faggots hold dear to their hearts.

RE5 is an alright game but that got shit on because of 4 faggots
>NOT THE SAME!! REEEEEE
>WHERE'S LEON?!
>MUH PUNS!!!

Because evil within was made by mikami they outright demanded another RE4 and cried like bitches when it wasn't.

That's where the hate comes from.
>>
>>379711365
I enjoyed a lot of it till the last few chapters when the game turned into shit, lackluster boss fight and enemies with guns
>>
>>379715521
Stealth works pretty bad and you can't play all stealth at every location especially when there's that one episodes with Ruvik or "everyone's going to fucking kill you" or "boss is going to fuck your shit up". Just like I said about narrative
And all last chapters is just a fucking mess, "kill all bosses you've seen again, and this two annoying fuckers in one small room", I don't know what Mikami had in his mind or any members of the development that helped to do that shit
Game had some cool ideas, but in execution they're all just shit, you can't deny that
And yes, I still have a buyer's remorse, don't give a fuck about optimization on platform I chose it was for ps3
>>
File: 1470418694390.jpg (141KB, 538x538px) Image search: [Google]
1470418694390.jpg
141KB, 538x538px
>>379711762
this, and I felt like every chapter after 2 paled in comparison to the level design. You could have completed that outdoor are in Ch. 2 in so many ways... the rest of the game is go down that corridor with no side paths. :/
>>
>>379716121
Also they copied a shitton of things from Shadows of the Damned, forgot to mention
It's a mediocre game, but atleast had some substance and wacky shit because of Grasshopper
>>
>>379716081
RE5 is alright but nowhere near as good as 4.

>NOT THE SAME!!
RE4 was as close to a perfect action-horror game as Capcom could ever hope to manage. A great balance of everything. Copying most of 4 could've done nothing but benefit 5.
>>
>>379716007
>Yeah, but it's not like we can stop dumbasses from buying those unfinished games (TPP comes to mind).

Maybe games from AAA studios and long running franchises shouldn't be releasing unfinished to begin with and if they choose to do so then they deserve all the shit flung at them.
>>
>>379716121
>>379716312
>can't play all stealth
It isn't a stealth game. Fuck off, retard.
>and this two annoying fuckers in one small room
Confirmed casual. That fight is great.
>copying cool things from other good games is bad now
>>
>>379716452
Good luck stopping them.
>>
>>379716527
>It isn't a stealth game. Fuck off, retard.
Why does it have this elements then?
>Confirmed casual. That fight is great.
Oh, ok, you're deluded faggot that likes literal shit, k
It is bad if it was implemented shit as fuck
Thanks for writing all that shit for nothing, delusional faggot
>>
File: 1481466463484.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1481466463484.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>379711365
I made it past the bus part and stopped playing. Might pick up where i left off one day.
>>
>>379716527
>it's a I can't like something that's bad without convincing everyone that it's not as bad as they think because i'm insecure episode.

Youre just as bad as the faggots that write games off instantly.
>>
File: 1496084115037.jpg (66KB, 620x515px) Image search: [Google]
1496084115037.jpg
66KB, 620x515px
Still on chapter 3 and so far its been a pretty cool stealth game.
Not spooky at all, though. Maybe its because i just finished Oulast 1 and 2 and im kind of jaded.
>>
>>379716750
>Why does it have this elements then?
Learn English, Pajeet. Games can have stealth elements/segments without being full stealth games. Get with the program.
>being this mad
>>
>>379716860
Great counterpoints, kid.

>>379716920
>casual shitter
>Let It Die memer
>Outlast
Drink bleach.
>>
>>379717068
>kid
>doesn't post any arguments, just "nah i'm right fuck you"
>"casual"
Get the fuck out of here double nigger
>>
>>379717294
>doesn't post any arguments, just "nah i'm right fuck you"
Oh, the ironing. You do realize that you just did this, right?
>>
>>379717068
i'm not even the person you were arguing with. I'm just watching your posts get progressively more defensive as you get upset people have critiques about a game you like, it's embarrassing
>>
>>379717491
Still not making any points.
>>
>>379717479
Why are you shitposting and not telling anyone anything about your beloved shitty game?
>>
>>379717662
Jesus who cares dude, you like the game and they don't. He's said why he didn't like it, you obviously disagree, have done with it. Is everyone supposed to have the exact same taste as you or what?
>>
>>379717704
Why are you shitting on the game without making any actual points on why it isn't good/fun? Nice attempt at deflection, though.
>>
>>379717817
>he
Butt the fuck out or make your own argument, faggot.
>>
>>379711365
i agree OP mikami does it again
>>
File: 1259522391132.jpg (37KB, 370x300px) Image search: [Google]
1259522391132.jpg
37KB, 370x300px
>>379717976
Sometimes I forget I'm surrounded by autistic teenagers on this board.
>>
>>379718095
>I have no argument, better call him names
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.