[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are QTEs good game design?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: spider_man_fail-99342.gif (2MB, 400x210px) Image search: [Google]
spider_man_fail-99342.gif
2MB, 400x210px
Are QTEs good game design?
>>
Yes

Theyre half baked so youre forced to watch a cut scene and learn all the little nuisances about the world to extend """game play time"""
>>
absolutely
>>
Only button mashing qtes
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy44s_de15Y
>>
>>379655001
this but it also depends on their implementation
>>
>>379654136
The purpose is making the player feel like he has power in cutscenes. Also most people got bored in cutscenes so it gives him something to interact with.

I mean for example in GoW if you wanted to finish an enemy, you had to complete a different QTE per enemy, so as a player you needed to have cognitive recognizition depending on the enemy, Medusa's had the spinning thing, others required tapping buttons, but it made the gameplay less repetitive.

So yeah I'd say, in good case scenarios, they are good game design.
>>
>>379654136
It really depends. The only game that I feel truly understood how to utilize QTEs properly was Asura's Wrath. It let the player experience the wonderful visuals but also get nice feedback from how the QTEs were implemented.
>>
No.
If a game consists of more than 30% dialogue, cutscenes, non-gameplay moments, then it isn't a videogame and is automatically a 0/10.
>>
Not really. It's an intrusive, shallow mechanic that's completely divorced from everything else going on in the games.
>>
>>379655001
>>379655184
This
>>
>>379654136
All QTE's that could otherwise be gameplay are bad design.If its used to do something that CAN'T be done with gameplay its forgivable.
>>
>>379655831
Quantic Dream QTE's are GOAT though
>>
>>379655305
Except it also makes cutscenes unskippable or worse yet forces players to repeat cutscenes if they fuck up a prompt which makes for far more boredom than a traditional cutscene ever would. It's kind of a meme anyway, I never thought to myself "I wish I had to press random buttons!" when I felt bored watching a cutscene. All I wanted was for it to be over as quickly as possible so I can go back to playing the game and engaging with its main mechanics.
>>
>>379655167
>still succeeds
>don't even have to play the game to play it
>>
Bayo 1 has the worst QTE's implementation of all time

This is a list of QTEs that will cause instant death or lose of health if failed:

>Chapter 1: Verse 8 - Beloved, when he throws you (Up + A)

>Chapter 2: Verse 10 - Fortitude Fight (X)

>Chapter 3: Verse 6 - Falling Building (X).
>After Verse 12 - running across broken bridge (A)

>Chapter 8: Verse 2 - I believe a car wants to kill you and you want to be on your bike (A). >Verse 4 - Driving upward to finish the verse (Up + A)

>Chapter 9: Verse 4 - Chased by a giant LEGO ball, by the end of the trial (A)

>Chapter 12: Verse 2 - Getting back onto the plane (several A's)

>Chapter 15: Verse 3 - Fight Jeanne. When her Phase 2 is over, she'll jump onto a rocket and ride it towards you (Up + A). Once you both are about to leave the rocket (Up + A again)

>Chapter 16: Verse 10 - First time entering the elevator area (Right + A)

>Epilogue: Verse 2 - Riding as Jeanne, by the end of the trial (several A's). Verse 3 - (Up + A)
>>
>>379655978
I was mainly talking about QTEs integrated into gameplay, like if it's a 3 phase boss and it has QTEs in cutscenes between phases. I just noticed most OP and people refer to cutscenes QTEs. For those there is not much to defend them, they just don't want the player to get bored and give a random button to press, but it ends up being annoying because most people just put down the controller while watching the cutscenes, I hated that in RE4 and Soulcalibur III. Like I said if the QTEs happen in a boss cutscene or something like that it makes sense but if it's for random crap then it's annoying, it really depends.
>>
>>379656149
>calling that succeeding
He didn't get an important clue on his detective work.
Heavy Rain is a game where the game keeps going no matter what happens.

You can literally die and the game will keep going with that fact enabled.
>>
>>379654136
QTEs are bad under any circumstances and should not exist.
>>
I can tolerate them when they're just a way to add interactivity to what would otherwise be a cutscene and don't actually require split second input.
>>
>>379655305
>Also most people got bored in cutscenes so it gives him something to interact with.

Sounds like they need to get their ADHD sorted out, or devs need to make cut scenes not boring. Personally I've never once thought a cutscene could be improved if it had QTEs, I just don't see the point.
>>
>>379656537
They're so shallow either way though and fix a problem that shouldn't even be there. Worried that players will get tired of watching cutscenes? Don't fill your game up with cutscenes. QTEs are an unsatisfying band aid that's far removed from the challenges of the rest of the game. There's nothing to get good at with them, you either react in time or you fuck up and then do it without failing in the future.
>>
>>379656654
I actually agree with this, they don't make me feel more powerful or more engaged in the cutscene. All they do is distract me from whatever's going on, so instead of paying attention to a fight I'm looking out for button prompts
>>
>>379656889
>>379656960
I mean if the cutscene is about something about exposition for the plot then adding a QTE for the lulz is bad sure.

But for example, I feel more rewarding the cutscenes with QTEs in MGR:R since it adds to the experience when beating the bosses than in DMC where I just watch, not that DMC needed the QTEs at all, but QTEs can add to the experience when used correctly.
>>
File: 1432858735481.png (11KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1432858735481.png
11KB, 400x400px
>>379654136
No.
>Dying Light
>have pretty decent boss fight with Rais #1 henchman
>hyped for barenuckle fistfight finale with the big man himself
>just a QTE
I fucking failed it because it was the first and last cutscene QTE IN THE WHOLE GAME. The prompts were so little and didn't stand out from the scene. And the order they were in was literally A S D W. Boom. Roll credits.
>>
>>379657260
Aren't the MGR qtes essentially unfailable? It's telling that the only way to make qtes decent is to pretty much make them irrelevant.
>>
>>379657494
Some are and some aren't
>>
>>379657628
Either way it's shit because it makes the cutscenes unskippable desu
>>
Only secret ones in cutscenes that unlock extra scenes. First one I can think of is FFX-2.
That said wouldn't say it was "good" design, just something extra.
>>
File: asdsadad.webm (910KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
asdsadad.webm
910KB, 480x270px
>>379657768
Why the fuck would you want to skip MGR:R cutscenes? They are hype as fuck
>>
>>379657489
They had a real bossfight earlier too.
Fucking retarded. I can only chalk it up to time constraints.
>>
>>379656395
Kamiya put those in just to fuck with people
>>
>>379658302
Cause Ive already seen them
>>
>>379658302
>dude it's so CUHRAYZEEEEEEE
I think Platinum fans should be shot.
>>
>>379655001
>>379655184
These. I don't know if they're considered QTEs, though they might as well be, but the ones where you're stuck in one place or being dragged along somewhere else, and you have to shoot something in order to free yourself or kill something, can be good as well, if they're well-designed.
>>
File: 1btt3i7lu4a0.gif (444KB, 365x231px) Image search: [Google]
1btt3i7lu4a0.gif
444KB, 365x231px
>>379654136
Legitimately, it's all about how you use it in your video games.
Shenmue is actually a good example of QTE's because they are not just there to "feel" the action of a cinematic scene but to play the game even during the cinematic scenes.
>>
File: asuras wrath extend arm.png (1MB, 680x1291px) Image search: [Google]
asuras wrath extend arm.png
1MB, 680x1291px
Is Asura's Wrath the best example of QTE's done right?
>>
>>379659313
No, that's just double standards on the part of a silly old nostalgiafag.
>>
>>379659313
No: QTEs are already a failure of game design since they disconnect the player's expectations of controls. When a QTE appears, the player's pressing the button only because he is told to.
>>
>>379659749
Asura's fight against Chakravartin was INSANE.
>>
>>379654136

I hope so, because your mom was certain one!
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.