[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was esports the cancer that killed gaming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_2953.jpg (3MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2953.jpg
3MB, 2000x1333px
Was esports the cancer that killed gaming?
>>
>>379651784
This sounds stupid but how is the audience supposed to watch of they're sitting like that?
>>
>>379651974
you're right anon, it sounds quite stupid.
there's giant ass-fucking screens pointed at the audience.
>>
esports betting was
>>
>>379651974
lmao
>>
>>379652158
But couldn't the other team just turn around and see what their doing? How do we watch all the players at once?
>>
>>379651974
mirrors
>>
>>379652354
this is e-sports, anon.
you take your eyes away from your screen from a second, and it's game over.
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 400x300px
I'm laffin thinkin of some kid asking his dad to take him to this
>>
File: 1111.jpg (1MB, 1140x760px) Image search: [Google]
1111.jpg
1MB, 1140x760px
>>379652354
Yes anon, this would work
>>
>>379652648
I don't get this whole craze of watching others play games, when anyone can play a game, this isn't like sports where you may need to be athletic.
>>
"Gaming culture" in general is what's killing video games.
>>
>>379652354
Some korean league of legends team got caught doing that in the early days to get enemy positions on the map, dumbass was so retarded he pinged them ingame.
He was looking up at the big game screens in the centre of the room.

Got caught, dq'd and a heavy fine.
>>
>>379653004
Anyone who isn't physically disabled can play a traditional sport (shittily) though
I don't think every game is cut out to be an esport but I like seeing those clutch moment in Melee tournaments
>>
>>379652943
I thought the TV behind them was for the audience. Still looking up like that would hurt your neck after a little bit.
>>
>>379653152
Define what exactly that is.
>>
>>379653004
It's more about watching teams. Anyone can play a game but then they get stuck with shit teams and awful matchmaking. At least if you're watching the best teams vs the teams the games are going to be decent.
>>
>>379653197
>>379653757
Also what about people watching story based games, that have real gameplay? Some people apparently do that alot too.
>>
>>379653896
I personally just watch those for the commentary, like some sort of podcast. It makes some good background noise.
>>
>>379653896
I've only ever done that when the game plays like shit and I don't want to endure it myself but I want to see how it ends.

It's pretty rare that that happens and I still care enough about the game to bother though.
>>
Esports didn't kill gaming but it did kill PC multiplayer gaming.

But esports is itself dying as game producers slowly start to see how random and lightning in a bottle e-sports games are, so that's a good thing.
>>
>>379651784
Competitive stuff always existed
People going full autist and saying "muh playing video games are sports" and "these guys are athletes" is what killed it.
>>
>>379654935
how did it kill multiplayer gaming when its been around for almost 20 years
>>
>>379655396
How are they even close to athletes?
>>
>>379655396
Those terms got thrown in because they started making major money. The greatness of any sport is not because of it's physical activity. It's because of the revenue it can generate.

If it was pure physical activity we would go back to having gladiators kill each other.
>>
>>379655629
Autists want to be taken seriously and be accepted by the general public for playing video games for some reason.
>>
>>379655629
Don't ask me. They say that because chess is a sport, these things are sports because of the definition. Then they get all autist when you say that the definition is so vague and broad anything and everything is a sport then.
>>
>>379651784
gaming was the cancer that killed gaming.
>>
>>379656013
*Definition according to dictionaries
>>
>>379651784
Esports is a symptom of a much larger problem
>>
>>379656754
This is a quality non-answer.
>>
there is nothing wrong with a sport being a broad definition and e-sports are fine. you are literally upset at things being new/you dont like them even though its not physically hurting you. this is what your parents/grandparents are like as well except they didnt have someone to tell them this.
grow up.
>>
File: IMG_5251.jpg (20KB, 299x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5251.jpg
20KB, 299x300px
>>379651974
>>
File: Pro Athlete.jpg (34KB, 694x383px) Image search: [Google]
Pro Athlete.jpg
34KB, 694x383px
>>379657175
The problem with it's broad definition is that anything can be a sport because it follows the definition just as much if not more than video games.

Cooking? Oh there's competitions and you can get hurt a lot more.
Writing? Drawing? Jacking off? Carpal tunnel too.
Being sedentary? A lot of negative effects.

Just saying "you don't like change. You have to accept it" is retarded considering the whole argument for video games being "sports" is even more retarded.
>>
>>379657631
Just because your broad definition is retarded doesn't mean everyone else's is.
>>
no it's video games are meh right now.
>>
>>379651784
No it's just clans with sponsorships, take away the money it'd still be there.
>>
>>379657631
I wish there was competition for jacking off, I would win. Like Masturbatathon or something.
>>
>>379651974
In dota 2 they build booths with computer hardware that isolates noise and such things from the players. There was one time the noise feom the audience was so high a team correctly discerned that the other team was fighting roshan.
>>
>>379651784
Esports are ok but developers paying for an esports scene for games before they've naturally developed one is cancer. Like hearthstone as an esport, really?
>>
>>379657780
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport
>a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment
>a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other
>>
>>379659310
That's not the one that guy was using which seemed to be "you can get injured".
>>
Style over substance garbage in the mid90s on was.

Gaming was dead long before eShits crapped on its grave.
>>
Youtubers and LEL IM A GAMER XD
is killing the game industry
>>
>>379651784
Yeah, that and streaming.
Now you can make a game catering to screeching faggots like Playerwhatthefuckever's Shitty Early Access Survival Simulator and sell shitloads.
>>
>>379651784
MOBAS, Esports, And f2p killed video games and creative map making
>>
Esports are fine if it's backed up by the community itself. Companies who shill their new games with esports that they artificially create themselves is just bogus.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.