[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Puzzle Quest thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

File: 1477820872627.jpg (88KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1477820872627.jpg
88KB, 700x525px
Puzzle Quest 2 Not Welcome Edition

Am I the only one who still plays this little gem every now and then?

>more RPG elements than modern AAA roleplaying games
>longer and more in-depth story and lore than most other games on the market
>PC version is practically bug-free and was actually so good it got an expansion pack (it's on Steam)
>a dozen classes that all play and feel very unique while never feeling feeling useless
>fucking ludicrous difficulty that will go full Skynet-tier before the end
>shitloads of equipment, spells, companions, mounts etc. etc. to kit yourself out with

How the fuck did they manage to ruin the sequel so badly? As mentioned earlier, PQ2-apologists need not apply.
>>
>>379596482
I replay it every year and have since 2007. Such a great game, probably sunk at least 50 hours into the demo that came out before release way back when, let alone all the hours I've put in since.

Druid and Warlock best classes.
>>
The biggest mistake these games made was in their advertising. Puzzle Quest is NOT a puzzle game with RPG elements. It is a RPG with puzzle elements.

And puzzle gamed are such a hard sell compared to RPGs.
>>
>>379596718

I haven't gotten around to Warlock yet, though I'd roll Druid after my current playthrough as Rogue.

What are the advantages of the Warlock?
>>
Reminder that you can get DLC for free
http://steamcommunity.com/app/12500/discussions/0/864943954172103438/
>>
>>379596482
>fucking ludicrous difficulty that will go full Skynet-tier before the end

Isn't this LITERALLY artificial difficulty?
>>
>>379596942

The reality of the situation is that games like Puzzle Quest will always have a very strong random element to it, and thus what might feel like an unbeatable opponent one fight may die like a bitch the next.

To compensate for this, you as a player are tasked with making "the best possible move my situation allows", and the computer will slowly start doing the same. After a while the game is as much about ruining your opponents life as it is making your own a little better.

What OP calls "Skynet-difficulty" is the AI getting lucky and perhaps accidentally chaining into a tripplet of 5+ skull-combo. Which could just as easily have happened to you.
>>
>>379596812
The warlock excels at hindering enemies by draining their mana, swapping any debuffs on you onto them, synegy with disease debuff, and overall lost of mana management spells (ie they have full mana and you only have enough to cast Soul Swap - now they are nearly empty and you have all the mana they had).
>>
>>379597237
>lots of mana management
>>
I don't understand why this game doesn't have workshop support. This game could literally have lived forever with some good modding tools and being hooked up to Steam.
>>
>>379597237

That actually sounds pretty fun! I do love fucking the AI up, and considering how the AI tends to hoard mana like crazy, being able to fuck with their essentially limitless pool sounds fun as shit.
>>
>>379596878
Wait, there's a fucking EXPANSION PACK? Fuck me re-downloading as we speak.
>>
PQ2 was good.
>>
>>379597484
End game is usually casting Great Plague,

>Enemy is Diseased (drains 1 mana per turn per application) up to a maximum of 4 times for 8 turns
>Plus 1 turn for every 5 Green Mana

then spamming Infection, which is learned from an enemy.

>Inflicts 5 points of damage on your enemy
>+5 more damage for each time they are currently diseased
>>
>tfw you're an /agdg/ dev working on Puzzle Quest But An SRPG
stop spying on me NSA man
>>
>more RPG elements than modern AAA roleplaying games

Do you even know what fucking RPG elements are you stupid cuck?
>>
Here's something few people in the community seem to know about: http://www.moddb.com/mods/puzzle-quest-heroes

It actually adds a few really well-balanced glasses and shit's fun.
>>
>>379597871
Sounds good. I do like SRPGs. Tell me about it. Got any neat screenshots?
>>
NO
PS4

NO
BUY
>>
>>379598210

y must u be this way anon?
>>
>>379598057

Wait, how does that work? Adding for example the "Rogue" class to a game that already has that exact class.

Is it not expansion-compatible or something?
>>
File: faggot.jpg (58KB, 250x252px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
58KB, 250x252px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1hqbR5Rv5k
>>
Is Gyromancer welcome? I played that a lot until the difficulty stonewalled me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBU0QGOgbPM
>>
>>379599874

That's a rocking theme right there. Is the game actually worth buying or is it all memes?
>>
Was it not proven that the A.I could quite literally see almost an entire screens worth of rows and columns above what you could, enabling them to get ridiculous fucking combos?
>>
>>379600509
It's worth getting for sure. PQ really is a fantastic game.
>>
>>379598057
I've finished the game with every default class already, now i might play this again. Thanks m8
>>
>>379600636

Nah, it's quite the contrary. It's just bad luck most of the time.

Like, for example if the game suggest you take a red mana blob as your next move, and you chose not to, the AI will probably take that same ball after you. Meaning that the AI is essentially working with the same knowledge you are.

Of course this is obviously guessing, but I doubt the programmers would be silly enough to give the AI a blatant cheating advantage.
>>
>>379600679

Huh, I might do that then. Are the original devs still around and doing quality work worthy of supporting or might I as well pirate because the funds won't be going towards anything good anyway?
>>
>>379601143
As OP stated, they made PQ2 and that ate shit through a straw. Pirate, and if you invest 500 hours into it (like I fucking have) throw them a dime anyway. The game's dirt cheap.
>>
>>379601143
Not really, no. Nothing since PQ1 has been on the same level as that game, unfortunately, with PQ2 and PQ Galactrix being okay at best, rest being shit.
>>
Question from a first-time player, inspired by a thread just like this to pick it up; do the monsters/enemies levels scale?

I feel like they do.
>>
>>379601434
If I remember correctly enemies has a level range based on where you encounter them. Like [generic rat] in the beginning of the game will scale from 1 to 5 and then stop, for example.
>>
>>379601434
Your feeling is not inherently wrong. They do scale to a degree, but that's not really the point.

They scale a little, which boosts their stats somewhat, but they don't learn new abilities like you do, so you're always going to have a slight edge by leveling.

And like >>379601583 said they won't scale forever. If you need to grind a little you will after a while outlevel the enemy.

Though as mentioned there is very little point to grinding at all in this game.
>>
>>379601583
>>379601734
Thanks for the information you two! I love how fun this game is and the slow pace makes it perfect for my current position sick in bed. I rolled a rogue for my first playthrough, was that a poor choice? Are there any classes that are inherently easier or harder than others? Does my class matter a lot?
>>
>>379601858
Nah rogue's pretty good. Bard's pretty fun too though, but probably a tad harder.
>>
What was so bad about PQ2? I remember I saw it and was totally stoked and it looked a lot better.

What happened?
>>
>>379596482
Oh shit I played the fuck out of this on my DS flash cart.
>>
>>379597871
>>379598140
Yeah no get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>379603140
What it did right
>Improved combat by adding Action gems to directly attack with your weapon as well as the Block system tied to the Armor stat

What it did wrong
>removed the player Castle
>removed monster capturing
>removed spell learning
>removed mounts
>simplified crafting to the absolute bare minimum
>simplified equipment
>game takes place in a single dungeon instead of a vast continent (think going from Diablo 2 to Diablo 1)
>shit music
>>
>>379603456
Oh and it removed city sieging too.
>>
>>379596482
Didn't realize this game was put on steam thanks op
>>
File: 1Portrait_Antharg_Large.png (268KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1Portrait_Antharg_Large.png
268KB, 512x512px
It's crazy to think that this game came out 10 fucking years ago.
>>
File: 1485712458956.jpg (88KB, 900x877px) Image search: [Google]
1485712458956.jpg
88KB, 900x877px
>>379604731
>10 years
>>
>this is what PC cucks make threads about
>>
>>379604489

Don't forget the expansion pack is free and adds a ton: >>379596878
>>
>>379605471
Haven't looked at this game in probably 8 years so it'll be interesting to play through it again, and with more content. what more could I ask for?
>>
>>379603456
>>379603850
God damn that's a sad list.

Why do developers keep remoing things in sequels? If I liked the first one wouldn't it be fair to assume that I would like more of that in a sequel?

I don't understand how devs, even small ones, keep fucking up this one very core concept.

The only, ONLY, reason to remove an existing element from a sequel should be if that elememt objectively didn't work.
>>
>>379601305
For being mobile games, their MTG and Marvel PQ games are pretty good.
>>
>>379606473
>mobile P2W shit

I'm sure they're making a lot of dosh from it, so from a statistical perspective I'm sure it's a profitable game, but fuck this entire concept.

I hate how mobile games (and other games too, recently) have somehow normalized the P2W thing.

Coding a game too encourage people to spend money to skip certain parts is the absolute most dire gaming sin and I can't fucking stand how normal it's become.
>>
>>379606757
>P2W
MTG is but the Marvel one is actually good when it comes to not doing that and instead of shitting on free players they kept introducing systems free players benefit from.
Also, not having an energy system and basing it on your units' remaining health is nice change
>>
>>379597961

OP is spot on though, faggot.
>>
>>379606757
I wish they'd take that money and make a proper Puzzle Quest 3.
>>
>>379607271

How could they? They proved with the embarrassing list provided here >>379603456 that they have zero fucking idea what made their original game fun and likable to begin with.

So much of the adventuring and customization that should come with a ROLEPLAYING game was removed from the second one that all it felt like was a slightly more interesting than usual puzzle game.
>>
>>379603456
I feel that PQ2 tried something different. The budget was clearly bigger and they added a lot more visualization. A lot of the characters you met had more personality and actual physical bodies in the world, and you could wonder around and explore to a certain degree.

The problem was that PQ1 never needed any of this. Part of the charm was imagining the tall towers and the deep dungeons your chosen hero ventured through to do what he was tasked with doing.

You can very clearly tell that they wanted more visuals and were willing to throw a ton of the old mechanics on the pyre to get them, but that's such a bad trade for games like this.

It still shocks me that the development studio didn't realize this.
>>
>>379607264
Except he has no idea what an RPG is.
>>
File: puzzle_quest_world_map.jpg (1MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
puzzle_quest_world_map.jpg
1MB, 2048x2048px
>>379607470
That's why I said 'proper.' It'd be so easy, too.

>PQ2's combat
>PQ1's everything else
>set the game on the West side of 1's main map, plus the middle island and the area in the South
>make the Lord of Famine (forgot name) the villain
>new enemies
>new classes
>etc
>>
>>379607957

How so?
>>
>>379608149
Tell me anon, is there a way to not have to do puzzles in this game at all?

If not, it's not an RPG.
>>
File: Portrait_Thief.jpg (10KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Portrait_Thief.jpg
10KB, 256x256px
*steals your gold*
>>
>>379608305

Sure there is. There's a 'quit' button.
>>
>tfw too dumb for those new spell puzzles
I just hit shit until it worked
>>
File: 1436502497872.gif (2MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1436502497872.gif
2MB, 300x200px
>>379611262
>crafting minigame
>only need 1 more scroll to make some retardedly overpowered item
>fail
>>
>>379610734
QED faggot.
>>
Your thread is near death.
>>
>>379604731
It's even more crazy to think that this is actually fun game that I liked
>>
>>379596482
computer plays too perfectly, it's just not fun
>>
Am I missing anything if I only played the DS version
>>
>>379615572
What
It's a game of chance, they even miss skull tiles once occasionally.
>>
>>379616395
>last move on the board
>but it sets up the board for multiple match-4 combos
>the only winning move is to miss intentionally, losing hp
>so the AI had to make this one specific move
>so you could make that combo, gaining massive advantage
It was one of a time thing, it felt fucking awesome, but I understood I'm not man enough to play Puzzle Quest.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.