[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FIRST PERSON S/H GAMES ARE CANCER

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 15

File: fp_realism.gif (4MB, 250x161px) Image search: [Google]
fp_realism.gif
4MB, 250x161px
>RESIDENT EVIL
Led the pack up to and including RE4; decent action-horror games since. Killed series with RE7, by devolving it into a generic FP turd.

>SILENT HILL
Surely the best premise for a s/h game -- with the best OST, best film adaptation and one of the few mature takes on the genre out there.

>THE EVIL WITHIN
A real sleeper than harks back to the RE's glory days. The best third-person s/h IP since Dead Space.

>DEAD SPACE
Easily the best space s/h ever made (*speaking of the original) and only a hair's breadth behind SH in the atmosphere department (*adjudicating based on playing the game on "Impossible" difficulty from the start, and not abusing 'Rambo weapons' -- i.e., role-playing as the ENGINEER that the protagonist was written to be).

Given the evidence FOR third-person survival-horror games being vastly and incomparably superior to the first-person / floating camera lens / glorified tech demo + jump scares variety, why is the former variant of the genre so rare -- while its latter, retarded cousin is brought out from under the stairs for dinner, almost every night...?

>in b4 it's easier to develop a tech demo than a game with an animated on-screen character + environmental interaction
>>
First person is more immersive, which is critical for horror games.
>>
Correlation ≠ Causation
Please provide an argument for why first-person perspective is bad instead of selectively namedropping games.
>>
from my point of view, it is the third person games that are cancer
>>
File: shit-gaming.jpg (68KB, 400x263px) Image search: [Google]
shit-gaming.jpg
68KB, 400x263px
>>379565848
Closer zoom =/= immersion -- it = restriction

More restrictive FOV =/= better jump scares (only an easier game design for devs to copy-pasta)

FP does not have any peripheral vision, making it technically less realistic than an over-the-shoulder TP perspective (...unless on has cataracts)

FP severely limits environmental interaction and is almost always accompanied by heinous hand / arm animations (if any even exist) -- hardly immersive

FP removes any connection the player can draw to their controlled character, because they're reduced to anonymous, floating hands / a nondescript firearm sutured to a chin -- further diminishing immersion

FP is fundamentally unrealistic -- e.g., guns are never held the way they're implied in FP games, nor do hands just bob in front of one's face constantly... unless one is a zombie

FP is the film "shaky cam" of video gaming: a lazy, shitty way of making a game, and a design path that smacks of fleecing easy bucks from low I.Q. cυcks.
>>
File: fps_evolution (2).jpg (707KB, 1280x1821px) Image search: [Google]
fps_evolution (2).jpg
707KB, 1280x1821px
>>379566316
>Please provide an argument for why first-person perspective is bad

here are seven arguments: >>379566808
>>
>>379565387
RE4 isn't survival horror. Dead Space isn't good. P.T. was great and it was in first-person. None of the examples you've given provide any weight to your argument, and do more to prove that both first-person and third-person can both be bad or good, but this relies largely on the quality of the game in general.

Bandwagoning indie devs making shit survival horror games using the first-person perspective do not mean the perspective is inherently bad in survival horror.

>>379566892
You don't need to link back to a post for another that comes before it, newfriend.
>>
>>379565387
>Led the pack up to and including RE4; decent action-horror games since. Killed series with RE7, by devolving it into a generic FP turd.
What? 4 killed Resident Evil. You might not like seven, but that game is the closest we've ever gotten to the first games since the fourth one.
Also,
>Decent action horror games since.
Dear god...
>>
File: hold_little_water.jpg (36KB, 642x342px) Image search: [Google]
hold_little_water.jpg
36KB, 642x342px
>>379567049
>opinions...
>>
>>379566808
>FP does not have any peripheral vision, making it technically less realistic than an over-the-shoulder TP perspective
Care to reconsider what you're typing here?
>FP severely limits environmental interaction and is almost always accompanied by heinous hand / arm animations (if any even exist) -- hardly immersive
"Almost always" weasel words
>FP removes any connection the player can draw to their controlled character, because they're reduced to anonymous, floating hands / a nondescript firearm sutured to a chin -- further diminishing immersion
Play more games. Maybe Duke Nukem, maybe Thief, maybe Deus Ex. First person can have compelling characters.
>FP is fundamentally unrealistic -- e.g., guns are never held the way they're implied in FP games, nor do hands just bob in front of one's face constantly... unless one is a zombie
Your arguments boil down to "most x games aren't good ergo all x games are bad" which is flawed. Have you played every single first person shooter ever made? You've made a pretty stupid and far-reaching statement. I don't even feel this requires a counter-argument.
>FP is the film "shaky cam" of video gaming: a lazy, shitty way of making a game, and a design path that smacks of fleecing easy bucks from low I.Q. cυcks.
First person is a tool that can be used well and can be used poorly. That's all.
>>
>>379565387
>>RESIDENT EVIL
>Led the pack up to and including RE4
Stopped reading there. Resident Evil 1-3 are fucking awful games and so are Resident Evil 5 and onward. 4 is the only good one period.
>>
>>379566316
FP=forced choice between seeing where you're going or seeing what's attacking you

Next!
>>
File: RE_sales.jpg (319KB, 870x1759px) Image search: [Google]
RE_sales.jpg
319KB, 870x1759px
>>379567114
>4 killed Resident Evil
>>
>>379568017
what about a game where you play as a robot with little rear-view mirrors
>>
>>379565387
>>THE EVIL WITHIN
>A real sleeper than harks back to the RE's glory days. The best third-person s/h IP since Dead Space.

Lmao you're a fucking joke, TEW was goddamn garbage
>>
File: 1473828293367.jpg (27KB, 471x320px) Image search: [Google]
1473828293367.jpg
27KB, 471x320px
>>379567114
>You might not like seven
>sold about the same as ORC... that had GFWL

i don' think i was the only one, onan
>>
>>379568046
If it's about sales then the fifth game would be the best Resident Evil of all time. It sold well, but it did kill the franchise as we knew it back then, turning it into the mess it became for so long. Most people agree that the first games were the best ones, but even the ones that prefer 4 over the rest of them have to admit that four was the game who threw the things we loved about Resident Evil into the trash.
>>
File: 1496721686840.jpg (7KB, 231x250px) Image search: [Google]
1496721686840.jpg
7KB, 231x250px
>>379568295
>Re5
>killed the franchise...
>highest selling RE ever
>followed by RE6
>followed by RE4
>RE7 comes in at ~equal 6th in sales

i think your cognitive dissonance just went full drumpf, m8
>>
File: kill_the_hand_that_feeds.jpg (40KB, 400x256px) Image search: [Google]
kill_the_hand_that_feeds.jpg
40KB, 400x256px
>>379568214
>TEW was goddamn garbage
you're a poor taste, lowbrow nonentity who will end in a pauper's grave

>reality check
>>
File: faggot_4.jpg (79KB, 540x309px) Image search: [Google]
faggot_4.jpg
79KB, 540x309px
>>379567593
>Care to reconsider what you're typing here?
not an argument
>"Almost always" weasel words
only retards derp in absolutes, jar jar
>First person can have compelling characters.
sure... so can visual novel hentai
>Have you played every single first person shooter ever made?
redardio ad absurdum
>First person is a tool that can be used well and can be used poorly.
those who shill for first-person and make no buttressable contentions -- only derp "muh FP is teh shit!" -- are tools
>>
>>379568214
>no actual points made to support your opinion
You're garbage.
>>
>>379568294
I enjoyed ORC. It's not worth anywhere near full price, but it's fun.
>>
File: view_nazi.jpg (58KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
view_nazi.jpg
58KB, 640x480px
>>379568017
FP = shooting gallery or floating camera lens simulator

N E X T!!
>>
File: cheers_decaprio.gif (950KB, 245x326px) Image search: [Google]
cheers_decaprio.gif
950KB, 245x326px
>>379569261
>I enjoyed ORC. It's not worth anywhere near full price, but it's fun.

100% concur, good sir / madam / gender fluid corpuscle

...was just illustrating by accentuating how poorly RE7 was received compared to even arguably the most maligned RE game (...before umbrella corps)
>>
>>379568093
Rear view mirror have blind zones

And if you need these types of crutches to make your inferior view less crippling -- you should just drop it altogether.
>>
File: i_thinkbot.jpg (84KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
i_thinkbot.jpg
84KB, 666x666px
>>379569261
...though, the 64 million dollar question is:

>HAD ORC BEEN AN FPS, WOULD IT HAVE BEEN RECEIVED BETTER OR WORSE THAN AS IS?
>>
>>379569537
Worse. A first-person ORC probably wouldn't have the same dodge controls. Also, you wouldn't be able to get a good look at the asses.
>>
>>379565848
I came in to argue against this exact point without seeing someone made it already. First-person in itself is fine, but because horror games come from such a cinematic backdrop, they struggle to convey drama as well as their predecessors. They have to lean on showing the player character's arms reacting to shit happening in the game that creates this weird, jarring and uncanny disconnect between a character who the player is literally looking through the eyes of, and the player themselves whose immediate reaction to the events on-screen is muddled by the game's glorified HUD deciding it needs to show you how you're meant to feel about what you're already seeing yourself. It doesn't help that all the important exposition is the camera giving full focus to some guy menacing you while your controls get taken away for as long as it lasts--but it's totally not an actual cutscene because you can move your head around a little, or something.

It's been popular for as far back as Bioshock (and probably even earlier), but it makes the experience come off as one of those videos you'd watch when you wait in line for a theme park ride.

>>379567114
4 would have killed Resident Evil if it ended up being anything but what it was in the end. It's the entire reason it took the turn it did; the series was in a decline, losing relevance as they were clearly running out of ideas more and more from 2 onward, and they needed to do something drastic to make sure RE could even stick around as a series.
>>
>>379569421
>le gentlemanly scholar man expressing approval of le shared unpopular opinion

go back
>>
>>379569093
>cucks
>not an argument
>star war prequels
>lowercase
>derp
Are you 16
Play Cryostasis, it'll put hair on your chest.
>>
>>379570190
>go back
You're the one using "le" and leddit spacing.
>>
I pretty much only play games where I can use first person camera. It's better for a lot of reasons.

>The character model isn't in the center of the screen where my eyes want to focus
>The camera doesn't have to zoom inside tightspaces until the entire screen is taken up by the character's ass and you can't see anything else
>The camera is closer, so you can see things in better detail
>You don't need crutches like glowing items just so you can see them
>Aim down sights is cooler and modeled sights give better sight acquisition over an opaque crosshair
>There is no turning the camera for cheesing a view around corners or over things
>You can see what the character is doing with their hands
>>
>>379568816
>gets BTFO so hard with his shit taste that he starts tipping his fedora

LOL

>>379569205
>no actual points to say why it's good

LOL, get off Mikami's cock, drone.
>>
My pet hate with fps are the way most of them animate the guns on your screen, fucking glued to your cheek with a fov near the minus values. Makes me appreciate the few that do them right.
>>
>>379571049
That's not how an argument works, retard. You have to provide details on why you think something is bad. Otherwise, you're just a moron talking out of his ass.
>>
>>379571164
>My pet hate with fps are the way most of them animate the guns on your screen

And they rarely model the body for 1st person. Just the arms. They just don't bother to do it. People made good mods for Fallout 4 for giving the 1st person view the same models and animations as 3rd person, plus making the default stance with a lowered guns.

I think it is a vestigial trait from games like Doom.
>>
>>379570956
Those are some weak-ass points, dawg.
>>
>>379571423
>1st person view the same models and animations as 3rd person

That sounds neat, what is its name ? Also, games like STALKER, well not having a first person body (outside of a buggy as fuck mod), I do appreciate having a first person shadow.
>>
File: 1495677074262.jpg (74KB, 592x533px) Image search: [Google]
1495677074262.jpg
74KB, 592x533px
>>379566808

Well said.
>>
File: 1492987623172.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1492987623172.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>379565387
>Third Person Horror is better because of reasons unrelated to perspective
Meanwhile, Condemned Criminal Origins is by far the best horror game on the market and arguably the magnum opus of Monolith's work, while the immersion that really helped sell it was thanks in part to first person animations.
>>
this is one of the most genuinely autistic and retarded posts I've ever read

I can't tell if this is bait or someone just having a severe spergout
>>
File: 1443156015782.jpg (84KB, 229x267px) Image search: [Google]
1443156015782.jpg
84KB, 229x267px
>>379566808
>FP does not have peripheral vision ergo less realistic
But much better than being able to see completely behind you without turning aroudn

>FP severely limits environmental interaction
Yes, third person allows the player to see the full movements of a character, but good developers can make first person animations work. If we're talking about immersion, then we don't see in third person anyway

>FP removes any connection the player can draw from seeing their player
In gameplay, you won't be seeing much more from your character in third person than his back anyway. It's in cutscenes where you actually see the protagonist be expressive, and third person cutscenes often happen in first person games. Not to mention, in combat, it's more immersive to have enemies coming at you the player than the character you're controlling

>FP is fundamentally unrealistic due to how guns are handled
Bobbing is a developer's choice, while something like being able to use sights is more realistic than aiming with a reticle
>>
how about multiple camera options so you can have a completely different experience by changing the point of view?

yeah I know games are all about visual tricks and limitations, so changing the perspective can break the illusion but I DON'T GIVE A FUCK

I'd play diablo 2 in first person, even though there's no sky and would see the end of the map if you go into the edge of it

I'd play silent hill as a top-down game

I'd play 3d games converted to 2d
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.