[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fact: achievements ruin video games.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: steama.png (72KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
steama.png
72KB, 300x300px
Fact: achievements ruin video games.
>>
>You are now tasked with sending a gnome into space because its passenger needs something to dry hump

10/10 Great playthrough. Would (and will) do it again.
>>
>>379561572
I'd say their introduction really simplified boasting and discussing ingame accomplishments to some degree

It certainly means a lot more to accomplish an unorthodox challenge that the game wasn't balanced around rather than an achievement intended to be difficult yet still accessible to anyone wanting muh platinum/100%
>>
but you dont even need to do them or even acknowledge their existence if you dont want to

how did they ruin anything
>>
>Get all achievements int Tekken 7
>Don't feel like playing it again

They do ruin games
>>
>>379561572
If you don't like achievements, you can just ignore them.
>>
>ded game
>achievement forums set up boosting periods because they think nobody's on
>queue up and screw with them constantly

Basically all achievements are good for is bullying the autists who care about them.
>>
>>379561572
This.
>>379562109
Also, I disagree in the sense that I think they bring more replay value to games.
>>
>>379562123
The orginal Blazblue is great for this. Tager up and go to town on the multiplayer matches.
>>
>>379561572
How so? It doesn't really change the product you're receiving at all unless you get some sort of in game reward for them. What's your angle?
>>
They don't ruin games for me but I do think they're bullshit. Just needless, uncreative busywork like collectibles.
>>
>>379561572
Achievements don't ruin videogames you fucking idiot, except when an achivement pops up during an emotional moment in a game.

However, people who don't buy games because they don't have achievements, or have impossible to get achievements are fucking autistic morons as well. Bigger even.
>>
>>379561572
The main thing they did was cause the death of in-game achievements/awards, which were usually much more interesting and often led to some kind of reward.
>>
>>379564072
I'm going to not-buy-but-play FC5 because they don't put achievements on steam.
>>
>>379561572
true. Old / pirated games are more fun because this shit doesn't exist
at least on the playstation they're not in your face before you start the game
>>
>>379561572
difficult achievements to unlock things like costumes or new game modes is ok
>>
Almost unanimously. However, not actually unanimously.

WoW's achievements were an amazing addition in Lich King.
>Self imposed challenges on bosses that can reward mounts for dungeons and every tier of raiding
>Incentive to go do things like invade capitol cities
>>
>>379561572
Fact: even the most basic achievements like "complete chapter 5" are useful telemetry for devs
>>
>>379564349
Yeah. They realized that gamers on average don't get to the end of games so the entire seventh generation was filled with nothing but frontloaded intros and mediocrity for the rest of the game.
>>
>>379564349
Yeah, I always look at global achievement stats to see how many people started the game, and to see how far they've gotten in it. Pretty nifty.
>>
>>379562336
True, it usually gives people a reason to give it a 2nd playthrough, unless it has stuff that carries over from the 1st playthrough.
>>
All of this complaining about achievements is heavily dependent on your mindset. If your mindset is all about complaining about every little thing in something that essentially doesn't affect you, you're going to complain about achievements.
>>
>>379561572
you posted one of the games with the most fun to get achievements though.
>>
File: Proud Undefeatable.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Proud Undefeatable.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
If it wasn't for wanting a trophy I don't think I would have attempted an Undefeatable Proud mode run
>>
>>379564591
>Cured Donald and Goofy a total of 2 times in the entire game

Dick.
>>
>>379564591
>>379564679
>curing Donald and Goofy ever
So you have come this far, and still you understand nothing.
>>
File: 1496845967433.jpg (253KB, 600x588px) Image search: [Google]
1496845967433.jpg
253KB, 600x588px
>>379564679
Yeah, and they were on accident.
Those two are seriously fucking useless.
>Go to cast Cure
>Donald uses Cure on my the exact same moment
I swear the AI is purposefully programmed to do this.
>>
>>379561572
No, they're my favorite thing introduced to games. I am obsessed with them and have some extremely rare achievements.
Some of them:
GRAW team champion
GRAW master of ceremonies
all battlfield 2 modern combat achievements (you can't play this game online anymore)
all lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2 achievements (can't okay it online anymore)
dead space 2 hard to the core
call of duty 4 mile high club
dead rising 7 day survivor
>>
>>379565028

The GRAW achievements are great, good job. But Mile High Club, Hard to the Core and 7 Day Survivor aren't really all that difficult. But either way good job breh.
>>
>>379565015
Basically the way it works for the trophy is that you don't use Continues, you can just load your last save. Depending where you are, it can be very annoying. The only time I actually died in the game was from Dragon Maleficent because I got cocky, Chernabog, and while farming Sniperwilds. Other than that it was a perfectly clean run. Surprisingly, the game doesn't count coliseum losses as defeats.
>>
>>379561572
They're lazy design, because now instead of creating meaningful objectives in a game they get reduced to a check off list. Before it was either something you did because you were messing around in a game you enjoyed or there were unlocks or in game rewards for it. Now, nope.

It also gravitates people towards a completionist mindset, like this anon.
>>379562089
>>
When the first happened on Xbox 360 I was excited. Finally, you could track your completions and show them off easily. Didn't take long for it to turn into "shill our game, buy our dlc, grind out multiplayer". Most games don't even have a completion trophy on any difficulty anymore. All about collecting those flags. Like a trugamer.

Aside from that it's really only used to lock you into a console. No reason to buy PS4 when all your "cheevos" are on Xbox One!

It sucks monkey fuck.
>>
>>379565028
>dead rising 7 day survivor
The biggest cause of Red Rings
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.