[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When given the choice, do you prefer controller or keyboard?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

File: keyboard_or_controller.jpg (1MB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
keyboard_or_controller.jpg
1MB, 2400x2400px
When given the choice, do you prefer controller or keyboard?
>>
>>379524558
Depends on the game.
>>
Keyboard or stick, controllers are for subhumans.
>>
>>379524640
This is the only answer

Precise but fast movement = mouse
Smooth and not precise = controller

so
FPS = mouse
driving = controller
>>
File: AVGN_Doom.jpg (390KB, 2400x1100px) Image search: [Google]
AVGN_Doom.jpg
390KB, 2400x1100px
was he right?
>>
controllers were good when games were meant to be played with friends in your living room.

Now that 90% of console games are meant to be played with online matchmaking, it hardly matters.
>>
>>379524640
this
>>
Anything first person or RTS = KBM is superior

Other stuff: Controller
>>
I grew up a console babby so I pretty much associate controllers with gaming. Even now that I've gotten into PC gaming it still feels unnatural to game with a kb/m unless it's my only choice (ie an MMO like wow).
>>
>>379524558
I blow dick with keyboard/mouse and dont play competitively, so I don't feel like taking hours to learn it. Controller all the way.
>>
>>379524640
fpbp
anything else is objectively wrong and the opinion of someone without the option for both.
>>
>>379524640
Pretty much. I used controller for MGSV, but it really just depends on how the game feels. Anything that's even somewhat competitive I use KB&M.
>>
>>379524558
>>379524794
He is 100% right.
You might not know about it because you have never worked in your life.
>>
>>379524558
i've never had a n64 controller

where do you rest your thumbs? you tilt the stick with one, and where does the other one go?
>>
>>379524558
Controller. I don't even like consoles, but I use a controller for games that support it almost all of the time. Some games really benefit from the simple controls of a controller, and they're just far better for sitting back and relaxing so I don't need to either hunch over a keyboard or hold my arms out like a zombie the whole time. This is actually the reason I like the Switch's Joycon controllers, you can have each arm resting however you like (on the armrests of my recliner, for example) while relaxing and playing a game.

To put it a better way: Anything that doesn't need the precision of a touchpad or mouse I play with a controller.

I refunded Dead Rising 2 OTR because even though they claim it has controller support on Steam it refuses to recognize any controller I try, even a fucking base 360 controller like the ones the game was fucking designed around. A game with a scrollbar like Dead Rising or Terrarria is really optimized for a mouse and keyboard but I just prefer using the controller on them anyway.
>>
Mouse and keyboard for almost everything.
FPS, RTS, TPS whatever
>>
>>379525838
That's actually the genius of the N64 controller, all 3 "legs" are grips. If a game uses the Dpad and analog stick you hold those two "pegs", if it uses the analog stick and the buttons you use those two "pegs", if it uses the D-pad and button you hold those 2 outer "pegs". You keep your thumb on the controls, and rest them on the player-facing "legs" corresponding to the parts you're using.
>>
File: FatVsThicc.jpg (813KB, 3840x2400px) Image search: [Google]
FatVsThicc.jpg
813KB, 3840x2400px
>>379524640
thread could have ended here.

MnK for shooters, Controller for everything else. Oddly enough some horror shooters might be played better with a controller (if you're looking to be scared). I played Dead Space 1 recently and even on Hard difficulty that game is a cakewalk with Mouse aiming. I remembered it being really hard but that turned out just to be the shitty deadzones on controller sticks.
>>
>>379525381
I used keyboard for MGSV and couldn't look back, it has really nice controls.
>>
>>379525789
>Tries to act superior for working
>Talks about comfy office job where typing is the hardest work he does
>>
File: regg.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
regg.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>379525197
taking time to learn it? But anon mouse and keyboard is easy. You just put your left hand fingers on WASD and hold the mouse with your right hand. its ezpz
>>
>>379524754
>driving with a controller
>>
>>379526598
(You)
>>
File: 1457991851080.png (74KB, 200x250px) Image search: [Google]
1457991851080.png
74KB, 200x250px
>>379524754
>driving = controller
>>
>>379525789
>typing shit on a keybord
>work
Sounds like you never worked a day in your life.
>>
>>379526575
are you some kind of subhuman that manually lifts crates at piers?
>>
FPS, MMO, Strategy: M+KB
Driving: Wheel
Fighting: Stick
Shitty console ports and action games: Pad
>>
>>379526598
>denying yourself analogue braking and acceleration
>inb4 muh $999 race wheel setup
>>
Depends on a game, but most of good games best played on kb/mouse soooo
>>
>>379526883
No but I don't go telling people about how hard work is when I have a comfy office job you faggot.
>>
>>379524558
Why post this picture when most of /v/ doesn't work or flips burgers all day?
>>
>>379526996
there are plenty of computer related jobs that are the opposite of comfy.

what would you define as hard work then?
>>
>>379524558
>keyboard has Wu
>controller has Anita
Which side am I supposed to pick?
>>
always keyboard, in ever game
>>
>>379524558
left half of controller > keyboard
right half of controller < mouse
>>
>>379524558
>aim helper aims for you
Its literally reduced to push button to get awesome cancer

https://youtu.be/hMcVZQI6ybw
>>
>>379524640
This!
Mouse+keyboard for strategy, FPS, or anything else that requires quick and precise clicking.
Racing wheel + pedals for anything car-related, Joystick for anything flying, and a controller for anything else.
>>
>>379524640
that was easy
>>
>>379524558
Controller for driving/racing and most third person, m+kb for anything requiring fine aim or first person. Can go either way in some cases; I played Assassin's Creed on m+kb and didn't feel like a controller would've added anything, and I've played archers in Dragon's Dogma and aimed fine despite using a controller.

Best option is allowing both with full control customization (not just presets) and doing what you want, when you want. Since consoles are basically just shitty PC's anyway there's really no excuse for not having both options regardless of platform.
>>
>>379526593
Believe me, I've tried. But almost 20 years of exclusively using a controller makes it near impossible for me to "get it"
>>
>>379524558
Both at the same time.
>>
I honestly wish there was a viable in-between, imagine pic related but the right half of the controller replaced with a mouse and the keyboard sized down slightly
>>
>>379524558
depends on game.

most of the games I play require keyboard though. not a fan of fps anymore really, but I can't bring myself to play that with a controller
>>
Controller is my preference because that's what I grew up playing games. Keyboard and mouse is certainly a better choice for some games though.

I am a huge Destinyfag for whatever reason and am super psyched about Destiny 2 PC, but I'm scared because I've never played a multiplayer shooter with a mouse and will probably be way more shit than I'm accustomed to being.
>>
>>379524558
Depends on the game and also how it's implemented. Halo with a controller feels just as fine as cs 1.6 or CSS or go.

I'm going to say mmos need a keyboard and strategy strongly needs a mouse. But then diablo like games I prefer a controller, third person the same and racing.

A lot of pc elitist forget the controller is a bit more social then being at a desk with a keyboard and mouse. You can couch coop and to me that's just as valid as mouse precision.

Yes you can hook up a pc then steam big picture then use a 360 controller but who the fuck has parties and friends over playing like that? LAN with computers requires an entire room and day to coordinate.

I can't be as precise with a mouse or as versatile as a controller if i was stupid enough to stick to one and skip the other.

TLDR: you don't have to choose one if you spend less time on 4 chan and more making money.
>>
>>379526953
What about my $249 racing setup?
>>
>>379525932
That's one of the console strengths to be honest, it's consistent.

That's both a pro and con for pc, they are not the same experience and are infinitely configurable with infinitely more ways for a fuck up.

Well... except for Nintendo consoles past Wii. You never know how many fucking ways there are to control the game.

controllers are also better for local multiplayer
>>
>>379524640
god dammit, I enter to post this
>>
The part that makes the PC controls complete is the mouse, not the keyboard. Keyboard is just a series of buttons and if it ever comes down to just keyboard controls, I'll take a controller 99 times out of 100. The mouse is the quick acting precision and general freedom to interact with the world at a click that makes it superior to controllers for certain games.
>>
>>379531069
I'll completely admit my experience is super limited, but I've never been able to get comfortable with WASD as opposed to analog movement. Just feels like I have so much more control and can switch directions I've moving with so much more fluidity and control.
>>
>>379524558
I prefer a controller but I can easily use a mouse and keyboard
>>
I prefer controller cause I can sit in basically any position to use it, kb/m I have to sit up straight. But kb/m also has more precise controls, so I end up using that more often.
>>
>>379531337
The thing is if we're talking an FPS, the freedom to move slightly more diagonally in movement is such a pathetically small benefit to the ability to snap aim to someone's head in a flash.
>>
>>379528318
Forgot about Arcade sticks for fighting games, but this is the correct list
>>
>>379524558
Depends on the game.

>>379531069
I like the keyboard being able to hold a shitload of hotkeys for menu simulator games.
>>
File: 1337.jpg (41KB, 217x241px) Image search: [Google]
1337.jpg
41KB, 217x241px
>>379531337
>1337
>>
File: seating_positions2.jpg (786KB, 2600x1800px) Image search: [Google]
seating_positions2.jpg
786KB, 2600x1800px
>>379532060
>kb/m I have to sit up straight
>>
Controller. Keyboard is good but it feels off half the time when you're playing games these days unless it is some boring point and click shit.
>>
Controller all the time, except certain games like Huniepop, I can do chill point and click games with either, and other. I think Huniepop & Huniecam are the only games I use KB+M for, mainly mouse.
>>
>>379532883
Uh.... you can put any chair in front of your tv, but it's a pain in the ass to crowd friends for local play around a desk and computer keyboard and mice
>>
>>379524640
/thread
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.