[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pillars of eternity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: header.jpg (54KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
54KB, 460x215px
Pillars of eternity is on sale for 18 bucks on gog, is it worth it?
>>
>>379520257
>tfw you bought the game 4 time on don't even think it's that good

It's 10€ on Instant gaming op can't go wrong for that price
>>
>>379520257
nope
>>
File: Playtime.png (27KB, 250x106px) Image search: [Google]
Playtime.png
27KB, 250x106px
Yes, it's a fun game
>>
>>379520257
i tried it and honestly, it feels like reading a fucking book with how much text there is. if you don't like stopping to read something for like 10 minutes, the game might not be for you. gameplay-wise, it wasn't anything special.
>>
It reeaaaalllly depends on your personal preferences.

I don't feel like writing a whole lot, but here's my biggest issue with the game: The writers put a METRIC FUCKTON of effort into writing the setting, complete with a complex history, mythology, cultures, deities, etc. However, they put absolutely no effort into making anyone give a shit. The beginning of the game is just a massive lore dump, complete with hotlinks to encyclopedia entries if you want an even bigger lore dump. You can learn all you ever wanted to know about the history of the region you're in, but the only plot hook is "your caravan got attacked while you were gone! Go in the temple! You are the chosen one! Something something SOULS this is very important because SOULS!"
>>
>>379520257
It's fun and immersive, asides from tombstones and all those mary sues created by kickstarter backers. Also the stronghold is useless.

Baldur's Gate is still the better game.
>>
>>379520257
If you never played any cRPG yes
if you played Avoid at all cost.
>>
>>379520257
Nah, that's still too much. I mostly agree with what >>379522923 said, except I don't think that the problem is that they didn't make you care. They tried, dear fucking god they tried. But their universe is quite simply not worth giving a single fuck about.

I already knew there was going to be trouble when the Almanac turned out to be near unreadable. They tried to make a Pocket Guide to the Empire, but somewhere along the way they forgot to make it interesting.
>>
>>379523428
>But their universe is quite simply not worth giving a single fuck about.

Yeah, that's the other issue. A boring world is fine if you can tell an interesting story within it. An interesting world can be worth exploring even with a shitty story. But a boring story set in the most generic fantasy world imaginable isn't going to work for anyone, even if that world does have a fucking textbook of history behind it.
>>
>>379522923
>your caravan got attacked while you were gone! Go in the temple! You are the chosen one! Something something SOULS this is very important because SOULS!
Don't forget about needing to pick berries because you have the shits
Also the game being set in the least interesting part of the world pissed me off
>>
>>379520257
nope
>>
I was tempted but got Shadow Tactics instead. Then with the credit I got back I then grabbed The Saboteur.

Think I did ok.
>>
>>379523770
>Don't forget about needing to pick berries because you have the shits

And then you never even drink the tea. The whole sickness gets forgotten the moment you get back to the camp only for it to never get mentioned again or be relevant to anything. Turns out it was literally nothing.
>>
>>379523770
>>379524354

Let's not forget spending the first hour of the game developing a reasonably interesting character, then immediately killing them for EMOTIONAL IMPACT, thus robbing the player of the one thing they might have actually started to give a shit about.
>>
This game is always so divisive around here
>>
>>379525636
And in this case, I think that's reasonable. I think most people would agree that PoE does some things well, and some things very poorly. Opinions on the game are going to vary wildly based on what parts of RPGs interest you the most.
>>
>>379522928
>Also the stronghold is useless
Not anymore, it isn't. Patches + Expansion make it great, IMO.
>>
BG 2 just felt more magical somehow, like solving that riddle in the tent, or talking with dragons. It felt like a grand adventure, this isn't nostalgia talking because I completed it two years before POE. It just felt like very little thought was given to designing interesting encounters. I never really felt powerful if that makes sense. Pillars should be a case study in all video game design courses, it superficially resembles something everyone loves but doesn't capture the magic. I'm not even sure what that magic is though..
>>
Here's a take from someone who liked the game at release and likes it after the 3.0 patch:

- Kind of runs poorly, thanks unity
- once you complete about 70% of the content the game turns into a major shit show in terms of long as fuck loading times
- The expansion is god-tier obsidian, with quests that intermingle with the narrative beautifully, an interesting story, cool as fuck maps and some really neat and inventive boss fights(including some really fucking hard optional ones, like fighting 3 paladins, 3 clerics and 3 monks at once, so you spend the whole fight getting debuffed, having your damage healed away, and getting ping-ponged around the map.)

The biggest issue with the main game is that they had to add in all of the shit from the kickstarter stretch goals and to their credit this was accomplished. Sadly the game kind of sucked until 3.0 patch which gave certain things like the stronghold more of an oomph.
>>
>>379528130

also important to note that everyone likes the IE games more because you could dump stats and be fine, PoE requires a different set of rules regarding ability scores.
>>
>>379527879
>somehow
Nostalgia
>>
>>379527879
>It just felt like very little thought was given to designing interesting encounters.
This more than anything else is the biggest problem with the game.
Lackluster pacing and build up to some of the most important moments in the main game.
And level design/battles which weren't terribly interesting.
>>
>>379522340
Pffft, Pillars barely has any reading
You should play the new Torment
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.