[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are games art?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: schreier btfo.png (399KB, 1303x1023px) Image search: [Google]
schreier btfo.png
399KB, 1303x1023px
Are games art?
>>
File: minoin.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
minoin.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>379514734
>>
>a bunch of literally whos fighting on some random forum

kill yourself faggot. you're probably the guy in the screencap who got destroyed and are now coming here for validation
>>
Sure, but when people try to make them "cinematic" they don't understand video games.
Video games are ultimately interactive and when developers ignore that it would be like making movies without video.
>>
>>379514734
Yes
>>
If video games being considered art encourages more film dropouts and hallway simulators to enter the industry, I'd rather they not be.
>>
>>379514959
yes i am Jason (((Schreier)))

oy vey the goyim know shut gamergate down
>>
>>379515207
Am I supposed to know who that is?
>>
>>379514959

hello newfag
>>
File: _TOLD_1366739170248.png (438KB, 754x648px) Image search: [Google]
_TOLD_1366739170248.png
438KB, 754x648px
>>379514734
Blowing the fuck out of someone so savagely has got to be art.

>>379515252
Not really, he's just a cuck reviewer who got offended by the tits in Dragon's Crown, called the sorceress a loli, and then got mad because George Kamitani jokingly calle him gay by drawing burly shirtless dwarves and saying that those kinds of characters would be more in line with his sensibilities.
>>
>>379515252
how new
>>
>>379515579
Not him but who the fuck cares about a kotaku cuck?

kys
>>
This fucking kike is retarded, glad to see him BTFO
>>
>>379514734
I do not care.
>>
>>379514734
Well I've got a better question.

Are Tiger games video games?
>>
>>379514959
Goddamn fucking newfags, jesus christ.
>>
>>379516135
Literally came here to post this
>>
Whenever I'm enjoying anything, the concept of 'art' is never in my mind.

Whenever I've been dragged to a photography gallery the only thing I can think is 'art is shit and these wine swilling cheese munching faggots are all disgusting.'

So in my world, photography is art and I fucking hate it, everything else may or may not be art and I don't care either way. Also I don't associate with anyone who likes photography any more because they are massive faggots. Even compared to /v/.
>>
>>379514734
The artistic value of video games resides in the beautiful simplicity of gameplay. Super Mario World is more of a work of art than The Order : 1884, yet the latter is the one trying too hard to be a movie as a legitimate art medium.
>>
>>379514959
>a bunch of literally whos fighting on some random forum
That's not /v/ in the picture though.
>>
>>379516453
>butthurt redditgaffer upset nobody gives a shit about his fedora tipping forum

we won the election cuck boy
>>
File: 1465089565772.jpg (94KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1465089565772.jpg
94KB, 1280x720px
>>379514734
Think about the transition
Books > Visual Novels > Games
If books can be considered arts, where is the art lost in this transition? And of course, remember that you could have The Great Gatsby story in visual novel medium quite easily and with a little bit more effort into games too.
The issue isn't if games are art or not, they obviously are for some people as art is subjective. The issue is if games can be accepted as art by society as a whole, and that just depends if society grows of the stigma that "games are for kids" or not. I think level design by itself can be a form of art, as there can be pure joy in completing certain levels in certain Mario games or levels like the music ones in Rayman Legends. And so, playing through such level might not really be considered art, but designing it certainly is imo.
>>
>>379514734
There aren't enough jobs in writing about vidya for feminists at places like Jezebel so these assholes all need to write about feminism for gamers.

OT, no it isn't because society doesn't see it as such. To continue with the photography theme, photography wasn't art at the start of the twentieth century. It wasn't showed at the big galleries. Photographs didn't hang in museums. Photography is art now because Alfred Stieglitz did the god damned work and made motherfuckers start to view photography as an art. Crafts has been around longer and that shit ain't art because nobody ever did the fucking work. These assholes want to declare vidya art because they're god damned video game journalists and don't want to be ashamed to tell people what they do but just saying it doesn't make it so. Motherfuckers need to do the work.
>>
>>379516453
>forum
U wot m8?
>>
Yes.

Not modern "cinematic" games though.
>>
>>379516838
Books and movies are different. No, Great Gatsby can't be correctly translated into a different medium because the point isn't only the story being portrayed. Books have prose, authors have their own prose, the prose itself represents the author. Books have literal motifs, where a word is used, which is different from a visual one. Literal motifs are also greatly different from a visual one because a visual one can be very universal but a literal one depends heavily on the language being used.

As for VNs being an easy transition that is also wrong. VNs are very dialogue heavy however books RELY on segments of no dialogue. Each sentence is a reflection of the author and when no dialogue is being spoken, it means the author is the one currently speaking.

I agree with the rest of your post though, yes video games are art because art is expression of a creator, even small tidbits such as a hadouken input being the game when it is not a fighting game is expression of the creators love of fighting games. Me smearing shit on my street is a social commentary of my neighborhood.
>>
>>379518262
There are many visual novels that have plenty of narration. It is true that they are more dialogue focused though, but some books also are and they can be considered art as well.
And of course, The Great Gatsby would be a different experience if it was translated to a VN or game just like it is when translated to a movie or any other adaptation, however there is clearly a bias towards certain media being considered art and others not.
An author could use the VN medium just as well to send a message, to tell a story. However he would have to take into account the amount of narration, music and possibly voice. It's much easier to bring a scene to life compared to a book, however it is also easier to fuck up and have some elements not fit the others well enough, or one element obscuring the message that the other is trying to send (reminds me of the example where the voices in the Umineko VN HD remake make the music lose a lot of impact that the first murder scene had compared to the original).

Either way, it is as you say, everything through which an author wants to transmit a message can be considered art and so the debate if something is art or not is nothing but a discussion about how socially acceptable a certain medium is compared to another, has nothing to do with actual art.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.