[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BotW - the four dungeons are amazing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

Verticality, Interaction, optional solutions, no loading times, cross-room puzzles/out of box thinking, no padding (braindead enemies like in other Zelda dungeons or slow puzzles).

The hate the four beasts in BotW is literally a proof for me most "hardcore gamers" actually have no clue about game design.

Those dungeons were absolutely amazing. And the main reason they are so short compared to old Zelda dungeons is because they don't insult your intellect. There are actually optional ways to beat them, you can rush and skip things, barely any mini cutscenes or loading times, no gaes every meter, no pushing cubes, no carrying things around for minutes.

They are everything people wanted and people hate them.
>>
>>379513595
Every puzzle concerning this trunk was amazing and looking down and see the dam.

Also 10/10 music.
>>
I'm convinced you're just a falseflag as you won't stop making these fucking shitflinging threads everyday.
>>
I loved the game and I thought the dungeons and bosses were the weakest part by far. It just felt like they sacrificed shrine ideas to make a dungeon. And then they were done in like 20 minutes.
>>
>>379513818
I felt their designs were solid, they were just too short - if they were all at least as long as Naboris then I'd be fine with it.
>>
>>379513767
It's a thread about this game's dungeons. What are you even on about? Do something better with your life, please.

>>379513818
Can you explain why you didn't like them?
>>
>>379513958
I love BotW, I've rate it a 9/10 even, but I'm sick of your falseflagging threads where you spam the same images and webms every fucking day.
>>
>>379513925
>too short
There is a reason for that, you know? I mean I understand you, of course you want more of something that's good, but as someone who just finished Twilight Princess I couldn't disagree more. Dungeons in older Zeldas are mostly padding. Completely braindead enemies that can't hurt you anyway and require time-consuming tactics to kill them (wait until they stop blocking or remove their shell with a hookshot each time), even just opening gates takes ages with long sequences because older Zelda dungeons literally never streamed more than just one single room while BotW screams the whole things (similar to Okami), braindead puzzles like pushing blocks. In older Zelda games it usually was the case that puzzles were so easy, you could solve them immediately, but the actual execution of the "solving process" took way longer. In BotW (also Okami which I just finished simultaneously withTwilight Princess), you basically solve a puzzle in your head and you're done with it. They don't take long or there are clever workarounds and optional ways to solve puzzles. For instance, if you're good, you don't even have to turn the lizard even once to beat the whole thing. I just remember all those rooms in the sky dungeon in Twilight Princess where you hookshot onto floating things and then have to wait and wait and wait for something else. Another reason why BotW dungeons seem to be so short is that they're way more organic and you can sprint and climb. Dungeons in older Zeldas looked like huge Lego chambers which was horrible. Everthing was angular and tidy. This was the case because of the auto-climb system. BotW (and Okami again) of course have more organic worlds.

Just fucking remember OoT and how it wanted you to switch boots every 10 seconds. Or fucking diving in general.

>>379514127
I haven't made a thread on /v/ for a week and it's the second time I posted those webms.

Stop with your off-topic shitposting and kill yourself.
>>
File: 1490790814537.jpg (351KB, 700x877px) Image search: [Google]
1490790814537.jpg
351KB, 700x877px
>>379513595

You're gonna get memed at, but you're not wrong. They were some great dungeons.

Only issue is no enemies in them, could'a been nice to have some combat too.
>>
>>379514334
>screams
*streams
>>
>>379514334
>I haven't made a thread on /v/ for a week and it's the second time I posted those webms.
bullshit.
These are the same webms that were just in the daily "this is honestly amazing" thread that just got pruned
>>
>>379513595

They are a great idea.

But they are insultingly short and easy. That's the only issue.

If they were twice as big they'd probably be some of the best Zelda dungeons ever. As it stands, they're just completely overshadowed by the dungeons in Majora's Mask, which followed a similar setup aside from the first one (four dungeons, each tied to a race with a corresponding town/castle, dungeons are built around big central puzzles and involve manipulating the spatial state of the dungeon), but were far larger and more complex.
>>
>>379514470
>You're gonna get memed at
Everyone who disagrees with me is memeing! It's just memes! Meme meme meme meme mememem mememe
>>
>>379514334

Twilight Princess's dungeons were always shit and overrated. I'm pretty sure you just plain haven't played the Zelda games with good dungeons. Also your concept of "streaming rooms" is completely off base.
>>
I miss LttP's dungeon design.
>>
>>379513595
I agree that the design is amazing, but I think they should've been "padded" with more enemies. Combat's pretty fun and the only reason the dungeons are so short is because there's barely any combat. Put in some enemy gauntlets before you can hit an eyeball and these would've been some of the best 3D dungeons.
>>
They were too casual. I will not tolerate a game that doesn't violently smash the heads of the casuals against a tree trunk until they stop being casual. We have enough babysitting simulators with puzzles that automatically solve themselves.
>>
>>379516181
Majora's Mask's dungeons were larger but weren't more complex. MM dungeon mechanisms are all big switches that you only ever have to flip one way. They're cool because they provide a logical design to the dungeon, byt they don't make them harder to solve.

By contrast, the Divine Beasts make you flip mechanisms back and forth multiple times, testing that you really understand how what you're doing changes the dungeon layout. It does this without being too overwhelming by having the shift take place gradually in realtime.

I think the other underrated reason that MM dungeons are so good is because of the Stray Fairies. They could make very difficult challenges to flesh out dungeons with unique rewards. BotW's optional treasures aren't as much of an incentive, even though the harder optional puzzles, like exploring the underside of the salamander, were really interesting.
>>
>>379517550

Pretty sure you have to flip Stone Tower Temple upside down several times. And its sheer size alone makes it more complex to solve than the Divine Beasts - you have more parts to consider when trying to figure out how to proceed.
>>
>>379517810
You don't. You flip it once after you get the light arrow and that's it.

It feels like you do because the dungeon cleverly has one other room that you "flip" to solve a block puzzle, but it's totally isolated to that one room.
>>
>>379516485
You should read that post again, he's criticizing TP's dungeons.
>>
>>379513595
No. Whilst they were pretty fun, Hyrule Castle is the template all future dungeons should be based around.
>>
Enemies are too videogamey anyways.
>>
Should I feel dumb if I got stuck on the camel for like 3 days?
>>
>>379513595
>it's fun
>x have no clue about game design
>too easy

/lozg/ and r/Breath_of_the_Wild:
It's time for you to leave. Your memes have failed. Off you go.
>>
>>379518326
You can ignore 95% of it and just run to the boss?
>>
>>379513595
Indeed, but it is lacking enemy variety and keys, add this and it will perfect, plus they each need different themes, different textures, etc
>>
>>379519085
BotW is a nutshell
>>
>>379517810
Also that's not true about the multiple parts thing. I wish it were so, but you solve that dungeon room by room in a mostly limear fashion. At no point do you ever have to think about flipping the dungeon back after you've done it the first time.

The dungeon took a lot more thought to build convincingly than it takes to actually solve. It's big but very linear. It starts with a hub with one accessible door, then you go in a counterclockwise direction through the dungeon and back to the hub so you can exit and flip the dungeon. Once you do that, it's another linear sequence the other way around to get back to the miniboss room.

Even though the dungeon has a mechanism that alters the entire layout, you don't need to experiment with it because you can treat them as entirely disconnected separate rooms. The biggest trick they have, grappling to an upside-down treasure chest, is spoiled by Tatl in a mandatory dialog box,
>>
File: masseffect romance.png (81KB, 673x268px) Image search: [Google]
masseffect romance.png
81KB, 673x268px
>>379513595
i would have wanted dungeons in the classic sense the only time i felt like i was actually making my way through a treachorous dungeon was in hyrule castle and navigating lost woods
the game needed more d&d feel type dungeon and padding the dungeons out with some enemies
>>
>>379513595

Did we even play the same game? No brain dead enemies? Did you even fucking see those slow ass floating skull heads? Or the tiny mini guardians that practically fall over and die by themselves? Or the bosses that are easier than a regular Lynel? I liked the dungeons puzzle wise, but fuck where they underwhelming for only being FOUR OF THEM.
>>
The ideas in them are nice, but they're too short. One of them was laughably short, I completed it in like 15 fucking minutes even without Ravioli's Gale yet. The lizard one, I think it was.
They need to take the ideas they had in these ones and apply them to bigger dungeons next time.
>>
>>379513595
They're also 10-15 minutes long and designed for literal retards to solve.

What was there was fine, it's just it was too little for the 150 hours of game to have maybe 40 minutes to a hour of that expereince be the dungeons.
>>
>>379513595
cam I play it on PC perfectly now?
>>
>>379513595
i saw the webm, i just purchase the game + switch are you happy now?
>>
The elephant was the only good one.
Revali's gale is OP and ruined the Camel one for me.
>>
In general I agree with you OP. I had no problem with dungeon content or length, and I loved looking out to see hyrule fly by underneath the beasts. For me the issue was the overall look/feel of the dungeons. There wasn't a big difference between any of the dungeons other than shape. They had the same enemies and very similar bosses. Because of that, they all kind of run together in my mind. Granted, I didn't want yet another set of forest/fire/water temples, but I wish there was greater contrast between dungeons.
>>
What do you want for the next BOTW-like Zelda?
I would love to see the Deku return, maybe go all out like the other intelligent races and give them a city and everything. Maybe keep them a bit primitive though like in MM.
>>
>>379514334
>>379516485
Twilight Princess had some great dungeon design, I don't know what you dolts are on about.

BotW's dungeons' strengths were the ability to affect the whole dungeon using various mechanisms and their cool locations (flying in the sky, marching through the desert). The weaknesses, as have been outlined in this thread already, are that they all looked same-y, had basically no enemies, and were way too short and easy. Many of the things you list as negatives of classic Zelda dungeons are actually what make them good, so maybe Zelda just isn't for you.

A great next step for the series would be making classic Zelda dungeons that change significantly partway through. Imagine a mountain with a dam at the top where you can open a sluice to fill downhill rooms with water, or a mirror shield dungeon where the time of day affects how you progress through rooms.
>>
I think they were a good concept. But they could have had a lot more going on. Instead of just being a few trial and error puzzles, they could have been full dungeons. Like the final puzzle dungeon in Skyward Sword. By making them in the likeness of an animal, even an animal the size of a small town, they actually limited what could be done.

Here's hoping that the sequel to BotW will just have full dungeons scattered around instead of shrines and a couple mini puzzle dungeons.
>>
>>379513595
They're the most patrician thing that came out of the Zelda series.
>>
>>379520749
Shapeshifting powers (again).
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.