[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Facts: -There are 11 weapons, 4 of them are grenades -Upgrading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 8

File: Prey_cover_art.jpg (19KB, 250x319px) Image search: [Google]
Prey_cover_art.jpg
19KB, 250x319px
Facts:

-There are 11 weapons, 4 of them are grenades
-Upgrading weapons simply increases their damage output, range, reload speed etc. it does not add new functionality or change their appearance
-Ammunition is plentiful regardless of difficulty
-The talent system is basically a set of standard upgrades to generic attributes such as health, inventory space or hacking ability
-Enemy research is conducted by pointing a camera at an enemy for a few seconds
-Only Psychotronics and the Lobby are large areas. Every other area is either built to deal with the movement speeds created for the nitro boosters or is a genuinely small map
-The characters you interact with are extremely limited
-There are two ambience loops which play for almost every map in the game
-There aren't many music tracks
-Hacking is a simple mini game where you move a marker to a goal. It freezes you in place during its duration
-The psi powers are heavily borrowed from existing games
-There were several removed mechanics including weapon degradation and oxygen management
-Sneak attacks deal such large amounts of damage virtually any enemy can be two shotted even on nightmare difficulty
-There are many operators to restore your health, armor and psi infinitely
-You can purchase almost every talent requiring less thought about a build beyond early game
-Enemies have extremely poor line of sight and freeze in their place if they can't reach you
-There are only 11 enemy types (3 of which are extremely uncommon)
-The game still has many LOD and shadow issues after launch
>>
>There were several removed mechanics including weapon degradation and oxygen management
Thank god.
>>
>>379476479
All of those would be negative in isolation, but Prey offers a very diverse set of challenges that lets you utilize those tools in a vast variety of ways. Not goty, but definitely worth playing.
>>
>>379476479
who gives a fuck about literally any of this
>>
>>379476623
And those tools become irrelevant once you start talenting and upgrading your weapons as your growth seriously outpaces your enemies.

If you say it's difficult when you don't upgrade well no kidding, you can gimp any game just like that but the game is not designed for that.
>>
I actually really like it.

I feel my enjoyment really increased near the end of the game when small story plots become more apparent. The music is great too.
>>
>>379476892
Ok.
>>
>>379476674
Op might slightly care
>>
>-Hacking is a simple mini game where you move a marker to a goal.

...Is that supposed to be a bad thing?
>>
>>379477529
Considering how long it takes, how easy it is and how you can't use it in combat (to hack an operator or open a door for cover for instance) it is quite bad
>>
Fact:

-I pirated it and enjoyed it.
>>
>>379478112

Is 10-20 seconds really too long for you? I'll also take an easier mini-game over a tedious, potentially impossible slog like Bioshock 1's. Also pretty sure you can do both of those things, even during combat.
>>
>>379476892
Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpKM0S37Ujo
>>
>>379476614
Seriously, I don't give a flying fuck what game it is, weapon degradation is fucking awful, it's never done right.

Weapon degradation in a futuristic shooter? Anyone in support needs to fuck off back to Minecraft.

That being said, if a game put thought into making weapons degrade realistically over the long term, requiring cleaning, punishing the usage of cheap or improperly loaded ammunition, by damaging specific components of a weapons internals, I'd suck that games dick.

But no, games just give a gun a health bar, and make shooting it or meleeing deal damage. Boring, lazy, fuck off with that noise.
>>
>>379476479
You forgot:

- It's one of the best games of the past 15 years.

A flawed gem is better than turds of varying quality
>>
>>379476479

>op makes typical /v/ contrarian thread
>bitches and moans about trivial bullshit
>talks about not having weapon degradation like its a bad thing
>expects to be taken seriously

You are literally autistic
>>
>>379478791

Except it was in SS2 and it worked well.
>>
I'm glad the nitpicking bitch op who doesn't enjoy video games is getting blown the fuck out. Fact
>>
I just want to say that SS2 has the worst hacking system in in the genre.
>>
File: 1496610005483.png (174KB, 700x950px) Image search: [Google]
1496610005483.png
174KB, 700x950px
It should've been prey 2 this game fucking blows.
>>
>>379479813
SS1 > SS2
>>
Is the new Prey a good game?

Yes. It is.

It's truly a fantastic game for people that love to play casual console AAA games that are empty and have no depth. Games that are repetitive. Games that offer no real content.

I can guarantee you, that you'll absolutely enjoy this Prey if you were born around 2006, and if "classic games" for you are Halo 4, Call of Duty Black Ops 2, Far Cry Primal, No Man's Sky, The Division.

You'll have fun playing it, and it's definitely a good game to play while waiting for your Far Cry 5 pre-order to arrive.
>>
>>379479021
>t. paid full price
>>
>>379480046
Funny because Prey appeals to people who enjoyed games from 1994 and 1999 whereas the people who shot on it faun over a game from 2006.
>>
>>379480046
I almost fell for this.
>>
>>379476614
I know right? Had some cunt telling me oxygen management would be fun in a thread last night. Nutcase.
>>
>>379479021
>paid full price
>must justify my expenses on anonimoose virtual board
>>
>>379480174
Sure.

I guess you've collected statistics of the demographics of people that enjoyed the new Prey, to come up with such "facts".

P.S: Go back to school.

P.P.S: Once you get old enough, and reach high school, they'll teach you how to properly formulate your statements using real sources.
>>
>>379480293
I feel like the trauma/major injury system would've been fun.
Then again, the end of the game would've been a nightmare.
>>
>>379476479
>oxygen management

That really explains a lot about those Oxy tanks just floating around
>>
>>379479358
worked so well looking glass went bankrupt lmao
>>
>Prey has a dedicated hatebase but people fawn over Dishonored 2
What the h*ck man
>>
>>379480692
People still believe E3 demos.
>>
>>379480692
D2 is objective 9.8\10
>>
>>379480809
I had fun with it but I thought it was a bit of a mess. The design felt much more focused with Prey, I wouldn't be surprised if that was their A game during development compared to Dishonored 2.
>>
File: 1449625629126.gif (1MB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
1449625629126.gif
1MB, 350x300px
>>379476479
>-There are only 11 enemy types (3 of which are extremely uncommon)
And 4 of which are just lazy rehashes.

>-The characters you interact with are extremely limited
The dialogue system was done by some mouth breathing degenerate, that's true. The fact that if NPC interrupts your dialogue with somebody else and the game can almost completely mute the NPC you were talking to (even subtitles) is just bizarre.

>-Sneak attacks deal such large amounts of damage virtually any enemy can be two shotted even on nightmare difficulty
Nightmare difficulty itself is just too easy.

Ending is shit, too.

>>379478563
Considering that there are literally hundreds of computers, it is indeed too long. You need to be retarded to fail the hack, and it's extremely annoying because it just wastes your time instead of being automatic.

The game still worth playing, one time only though.
>>
>>379480875
they have entirely different studio dedicated to them. prey also has less smoke and mirror (dialogs, grafix, assets) compared to d2. Its credit also much shorter
>>
>>379480407
>>379480046
Sources on your claims, now. And don't try bitching, dreamboy, I don't have all day. If you don't give me the statistics in ten minutes — your ass is fired from this site, got it?
>>
>>379480692
The fuck? No one likes Dishonored 2. Not even Harvey.
>>
>>379478112
>can't use it in combat
Stun and hacking military operators is the easiest way to deal with them.
>>
Huh, they actually got gooks to do the Yu family's voices. Weird that only Alex had an accent.
>>
>>379481125
You're replying to dedicated shitposter. He uses same bait every thread.
>>
>>379476479
Its a good game for 10$ tbqh
wait for a sale/cheap key/pirate
>>
File: 1442787441787.jpg (36KB, 379x568px) Image search: [Google]
1442787441787.jpg
36KB, 379x568px
>>379476479
Hello OP, let me abbreviate all that pedantic nitpicking for you

>You get too many resources and become overpowered too quickly
>There's not enough enemy variety and their AI can be wonky
>The hacking minigame and scanning don't add anything of value to the game
>The soundmixing sucks and there's very few music/ambient tracks

There you go
>>
wow this totally gets me pumped for some intense combat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsxbtbMefvc
>>
>>379478563
Compared to the hacking system Arkane put into Bioshock 2 the difference is massive

Bioshock 2 perfected it with a simple mini game you could do while in combat which isn't time consuming

Why did they revert to something slow?
>>
>>379482964
Sums ups every AAA release from the last few years.

Add poor performance to it.
>>
>>379482964
The game is fundamentally flawed. No nitpicking involved.
>>
>>379480085
>>379480371
>Samefagging this hard since no one else replies
>>
>>379480432
There's a mod that does that now. It seems the content already was in the game but merely disabled.
>>
>>379483692
I don't disagree on the flaws at all, but I also don't think they're so egregious that they make game unenjoyable
>>
>>379483954
You tell me the enjoyable aspects of the game

If any
>>
>>379484059
Not him but I enjoyed the creativity afforded to me in getting past problems, both in terms of enemies and environment.
Most games will give you the obvious way and the path you find by looking around a bit, Prey has like an extra three or four options if you think outside the box.
>>
>>379484059
I enjoyed the level design, the exploration aspect, the combat (before it became trivial), and the overall freedom of approach you have available

I'm going to presume you didn't care for the game very much and will simply disagree with my stinky opinions
>>
wtf i hate prey now
>>
The soundmixing is pretty fucking bad, all the sounds a typhon makes sounds like it's originating from inside of you.
>>
>>379476479
>buy rights to a game that didn't sell well but became a cult classic
>cancel the sequel and just reboot the whole thing instead
>make game play nothing like the first aside from the fact that their both in the first person
What was the point then, why not just make a new IP at that point
>>
>>379484914
I remember the demo being horrible for that but I think they patched it out for the most part. Still present for voices though, speaking to people in person made it sound like it was clipping on my speakers.
>>
>>379485271
It was a silly decision. To be fair nobody ever gave a fuck about Prey though, calling it a cult game is a bit disingenuous since that implies it ever had a real following, and calling it a classic is just fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>379485441
I'm pretty sure it had enough people that liked it to at least consider it a cult game, I guess Bethesda made Prey the way it is now because they wanted to buy the rights to System Shock but couldn't so they made Prey out of spite
>>
>>379486353
>Bethesda
It's not actually made by them Anon, you're allowed to like it.
>>
>>379476479
This game was a shitty chore sim with a fucking cum shooting gun. Wanted to like it but meh not for me. Glad some people loved it though.
>>
>>379486437
They still own the rights to it, and I didn't say I didn't like it, I just pointed out why it's more like System Shock
>>
i played on normal and found ammo to be pretty damn scarce, ended up having to scour the station for guns to turn into mineral resources
then again i pretty much only used the pistol and just magdumped into everything that came near me
>>
>>379476479
Haven't played it, but none of what you say sounds bad at all.
Sound pretty much like Hlaf Life 2.

Also,
>implying weapon degradation is a good feature in any game ever
retard
>>
File: cd3.jpg (25KB, 600x418px) Image search: [Google]
cd3.jpg
25KB, 600x418px
>>379487143
>i played on normal
>>
Meh nothing special

Is repair 3 worth it?

No psi run
>>
>>379487430
Worth it just to get rid of those fucking faulty junction boxes that take half your health away if you get careless.
>>
>>379487382
playing on anything but normal is for tryhard faggots unless higher difficulties add new enemies/objectives/mechanics
even then you should always play the game first on normal
>>379487430
you need it to get the thing that plugs into the satellite which i did and was never mentioned again
>>
who calls this game hard please? i'm playing on nightmare, have over 70 foodstuff, 30medpacks, 50 psi packthingies, enough ammo and no issues dealing with the enemy

also operators everywhere to patch you up. yeah i'm having fun because i didn't expect the second coming of jesus, but calling it hard is just stupid
>>
>>379487702
It does have a pretty severe powercreep problem. The tension of enemy encounters is gone by the time you have the entire station open, especially once you've got a handle of what helpful operators are where.
>>
I enjoy it, feels like deus ex system shock. Whats not to like.
>>
>>379478712
Female version is superior.
>>
>>379487831
You've got to throw Half-Life in there as well. The design of the mimics is almost a direct reference.
>>
>>379476479
>-The characters you interact with are extremely limited
>-There are two ambience loops which play for almost every map in the game
>-There aren't many music tracks
>-There are only 11 enemy types (3 of which are extremely uncommon)
but it's fine for zelda
>>
>>379487549
Fuck off casual
>>
>>379487549
FPSs in the last 20 years
>easy = sandbox mode
>normal = very easy
>hard = easy

You should be embarrassed to admit you played on """"normal""""
>>
>>379478138
pirating makes games 50 percent more enjoyable
>>
>>379488252
You can shoot things in first person but I wouldn't call the game a first person shooter.
>>
If this game hadn't been called "Prey", triggering a group of angry autistic fanboys that love a bad mid-2000s shooter to start shitting on it, causing people to jump on the bandwagon, it would have seen a lot more love.
>>
>>379487975
Zelda at least had that sick castle track. The only good track on this is the credits one and that's just the female version.
>>
>>379488360
the first prey wasn't more than a quake rip off anyway. why do people care about a mediocre fps anyway. i wanna riddick sequel so bad
>>
>>379488386
>The credits one

The female version of that song plays if you play female Morgan.
>>
>>379487430
I only saw 2 things during the whole game that required repair 3, one of which you could also access with just mimic
>>
>>379487549
>you need it to get the thing that plugs into the satellite which i did and was never mentioned again

the thing that summons or repels the nightmare?
>>
>>379488564
It was pretty edgy too, like a lot of mid-2000s shooters. The weapons were all trash, the story was hilariously badly written.
I'm baffled that people act like it was an underappreciated or hidden masterpiece.
>>
>>379488575
I played male Morgan and female song played anyway
>>
>>379488735
Sorry I meant in the bar scene where you first here it. The vocalist's gender changes whether you're playing male or female Morgan.
>>
>>379476479
Most of these are more-or-less true. Not all of them are negative. Some are at least questionable.
>-Ammunition is plentiful regardless of difficulty
Not necessarily true.
>-The talent system is basically a set of standard upgrades to generic attributes such as health, inventory space or hacking ability
Not actually true at all, considering things like movement upgrades, suit upgrades all adding slot etc... And if you add the alien mods, you are suddenly at a dishonored-style set of various interesting powers and super-powers.
>-Only Psychotronics and the Lobby are large areas.
That is actually very false. In fact Psychotronics are pretty small, compared to locations like Crew Quarters.
>-The psi powers are heavily borrowed from existing games
This is such a laughable complaint I don't even know where to start. Yeah: that is how games work.
>-Sneak attacks deal such large amounts of damage virtually any enemy can be two shotted even on nightmare difficulty
You only get one sneak attack, and this is not true on all enemies stronger than a Greater Phantom, and even there if you have appropriate combat-oriented upgrades.

Rest is more-or-less true. It's also not really changing the fact that it's still a damn good game. If I was to make similar lists for games like System Shock, Deus Ex or VtM:B I am pretty sure I could make one far more extensive. Which is not to say that Prey is QUITE at the level of those masterpieces. It is as close as modern gaming gets though.

>>379488730
They only act like it's an underappreciated masterpiece because of the new Prey, the hating on bethesda circlejerk and Human Head being dicks. Nobody gave two fucks about that game until nu-Prey was in the make and Human Head had to go and make their insane masturbations in the public.
>>
>>379488834
>>-Ammunition is plentiful regardless of difficulty
>Not necessarily true.
By the end of the game i had more mats, assorted 'nades and just about anything than i could realistically use. Didn't use a single medkit due to how much food the game throws at you, along with medical operators providing infinite healing
>>
>>379476934
Die, shitposter.
>>
>hiding double jump behind an unclear chipset description
I thought it'd make me move faster in zero grav or something.
>>
>>379480692
/v/ hates Dishonored 2 for poor PC performance and SJW leanings, what are you talking about?
>>
>>379489006
Well, I am right now, near the end, I'm desperately resource starved. That is how games with wide variety of different possible playstyles work, curiously enough.
>>
>>379476479
Sadly, all true, at least that how it feels after beating it several weeks ago.
Had bitter chuckles from reading game journos calling it "next System Shock" when it's more shallow than Bioshock.
I can see the possibility of it being much better by having more and expanding present mechanics, but it's so damn short and almost cramped (not sure if there's a better word for this).
I fucking wish I waited for just a week. At first I was enjoying it, but then at some point all fun was just gone and game turned into a drag. And now I'm regretting buying it at full price.

>>379476614
Weapon degradation I agree, it's really rare to see this implemented correctly. But oxygen management was supposed to be tied to your suit's integrity. And that's a good thing especially if repair kits and shit are actually scarce, like you think they would be.
>>
File: 1491030605208.jpg (37KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1491030605208.jpg
37KB, 500x376px
>>379476479
there's one positive: arkane might soon die lmao
>>
>>379489434
>it's more shallow than Bioshock
Let's not get silly, Prey has sidequests and reasons to backtrack. Funnily enough more enemy variety too.
>>
>>379489434
>but it's so damn short
>when it's more shallow than Bioshock.
Quick question: why are you lying about the game? To what benefit exactly?
>>
>>379489434
>it's so damn short

This is how we know you haven't played the game. Its 19-23 hours long when only doing a few sidequests.
>>
>>379480174
Prey 2006 was original at least.
>>
>>379490826
>we

Fuck off hive mind.
>>
>>379491336
It really isn't remotely short though.
>>
>>379491167
Being "original" doesn't automatically mean it's good.
The reverse is the same, being "unoriginal" doesn't automatically mean it's bad.

Daikatana was an original game, but it was fucking terrible.
Unreal wasn't an original game, but it was fantastic.
>>
>>379480692
Dishonored was probably best game of the last two years. Ppl who complained about performance had shit rigs
>>
>>379491475
I thought Prey was basically everything Dishonored 2 wanted to be but better.
>>
>>379478112
>you can't use it in combat
Yes you can, on operators anyway. You just have to use your brain and disable them first, ideally with gloo. You can even hack one right out of the dispenser without disabling if you're standing beside it, even under fire.
>>
File: prey2017.jpg (105KB, 370x424px) Image search: [Google]
prey2017.jpg
105KB, 370x424px
>>379489579
Ammo types, functional weapon ungraded, tonics that change the way you play.

>>379490091
>>379490826
Whatever you say. Even though I wasted a lot of time looking for crew members, doing sidequests, finding a way into locked rooms, in the end I thought to myself "That's all?". So yeah, it's short.
>>
>>379491167
First of all, it really, really wasn't. "Original" linear FPS with most brain-dead arsenal imaginable (assault rifle, another assault rifle, shotgun, minigun that behaves like assault rifle, rocket launcher, grenades, spray gun, a variation on a sniper rifle, super-overpowered ray-beam gun for boss fights). Really fresh shit there. The visual identity was poorly copied from Doom 3 an Quake 3, the story was awful, the only thing the game had were a couple of technical gimmicks that were impressive tech-wise, but added nothing gameplay-wise.

Second of all, originality is not necessarily an asset.

>>379492174
34 hours for a first person immersive sim is short? It's longer than System Shock 2 kiddo. I finished that in 22. But yeah, keep on actually lying for absolutely no reason. The really sad thing is that apparently you paid for a game so that you could hate it and go around LYING on the internet. Which really, really seems fucked up.
>>
>>379476479
>There were several removed mechanics including weapon degradation and oxygen management
That's certainly a flaw. Game felt like there was everuthing ready for these features, but they do not exist.
Even the engineer operator mentions refilling your oxygen if you speak to him several times
>>
>>379492174
Good points there but I still think Prey has a bit more depth. Locked/blocked rooms are an occasional puzzle in Bioshock and not a fact of life like in Prey.
>>
>>379492698
I really don't think they'd have made the game any better, unless you've got a hard-on for inventory management.
>>
>>379492698
>Game felt like there was everuthing ready for these features,
Not everything, but quite a lot. The feature was scrapped pretty late into the development. That said, every single game has something like this. It's just that most developers aren't as open about this as Arkane, who happily admitted that those features were planned for implementation until fairly late development, and mostly scrapped for balance issues during early testing phases.
>>
File: ishyg.jpg (12KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
ishyg.jpg
12KB, 200x200px
>>379492174
>34 hours
>"Guys this game is so short"
>>
>>379493164
I'm pretty sure this is the same guy who was around the very first threads about this game who talked shit about it and then when people questioned how well does he really know, he argued he "finished the game three times already". There are some people with quite serious mental issues around these threads.
Thread posts: 114
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.