[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games that tried to do something different

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 28

File: maxresdefault.jpg (157KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
157KB, 1920x1080px
Games that tried to do something different, and even excelled in certain areas, but were undeservedly shat on or just plainly overlooked and forgotten.

From the recent ones, I can name Divinity: Dragon Commander and Blackguards. Especially Blackguards, which did encounter design 100% right (but also had numerous flaws).
>>
File: Some.png (768KB, 1290x287px) Image search: [Google]
Some.png
768KB, 1290x287px
>>379475563
>>
>>379475679
Nice list, although I can't comment on Guitar Hero. Seeing some PSP titles reminded me of Knights in the Knightmare, quite original in what they tried to achieve.
>>
File: Geist.jpg (2MB, 3238x2144px) Image search: [Google]
Geist.jpg
2MB, 3238x2144px
>>379475563
Dragon Commander was great but the AI was so, I dunno a good term, spammy maybe.
Like they send waves of Unit 1 at you non stop
Then they get Unit 2 and it's solid waves of Unit 1 and Unit 2
Then Unit 1 gets an ability and it's Waves of Unit 2 and all Unit 1 uses their ability all at once.
Like that, it was such a constant, linear progression of more and more and more in a way that just made battles very tedious and samey by RTS standards
Downtime and politicking was great though.
>>
>>379475840
>Knights in the Knightmare
What the fuck, I played this game on NDS, didn't knew there was a PSP version.
>>
>>379475952
Wait, what? I didn't know there was a NDS port, either
>>
>>379475563
>Cortex command
>AI war
>Cargo commander
>Children of a dead Earth
>Darwinia
>Eldrich
>Lichdom battlemage
>Miasmata
>Nomad fleet
>Oil rush
>QUBE
>Salvation prophecy
>Steam marines
>UFO:Extraterrestials
>>
>>379476018
Living and learning.
I think the port one is the PSP version.
>>
Hitman is pretty unique I suppose and never got as much success as it could have had.
>>
Psi-ops the mindgate conspiracy and second sight are the duo of forgotten psionic games.

And Jericho, with all the tedious battles I really liked how the game played and the story unfolded in the pixis.
>>
Evolva, a very interesting but forgotten classic.
>>
>>379475563
bioshock infinite
>>
>>379476024
Oh, you reminded me: I've never played anything like XCom Apocalypse. One would think that the concept would be picked up as technology moves forward, but no.

>>379476110
You are right, it released almost 2 years after.

>>379475892
I concur, but it was always a side project for them to help financing DOS. I hoped they'd fix some things with patches, but many balancing and AI issues still remain. It's just games like this, or XCom Apocalypse, I expected to be released when I was a teenager in 1990s and anticipated technological advancement.
>>
Do they have to be overlooked?
I love me some Total War, but I hate that it's about the only series that scratches my itch for huge battles. Especially since CA have turned into such huge cunts post Shogun 2, but there's not really any alternatives.
>>
>>379475952
>Knights in the Knightmare
oh god this game
the setting looked pretty cool but felt really too much work for little payoff
>>
File: shadow-warrior-2.png (1018KB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
shadow-warrior-2.png
1018KB, 2480x3508px
My personal grievances.
>Kohan Immortal Sovereign
>Original War
>Knock-Knock
>Miasmata
And most recently:
>Shadow Warrior 2

>>379476024
Well, at least somebody knows that Miasmata existed...
>>
>>379475892
I just mass spammed the one fast ground unit and the AI could never respond because of the speed difference. Game got super easy and boring fast
>>
>>379476570
Why Shadow Warrior 2?
I almost picked up, but is 30FPS on consoles and I gave up.
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
>>379475563
The problem with dragon commander was that, while it had a good looking art direction, interesting factions which forced hard political decisions on you and some well written character development with the wives, all of it was pointless because it was all layered around a really shitty RTS
>>
>>379475563
Blackguards 2 any good?
>>
>>379475679
most of those games were actually well-received iirc.
>>
>>379476024
>Miasmata
great taste
>>
>>379476753
I can't even begin imagining how this game plays on Consoles. Maybe they did some magic but the PC version of the game seemed like a seriously extremely poor fit for consoles.

As for why: The game has a whole bunch of really interesting ideas. The upgrade system has a significant level of depth for a frantic first person shooter with a Painkiller-like gunplay. I've seen very few looter/character-progression based action games where the action and the actual progression/customization of the character would tie into each other so well.

The problem the game had was that it absolutely failed to communicate any of that to the player. From the awful marketing campaign that made people think the game is build for coop primarily (it is not) and plays like Borderlands (it does not), to the absolute lack of in-game tips, proper tutorials, explanations, and messy U.I. that can flat-out mislead people about how the individual stats work and which matter: 99% of people did not even begin figuring out how the upgrades work and why they really are a lot of fun. Hell, from what I've seen, half of the players never realized how important is precision shooting in this game.

Shadow Warrior is uniquely focused on arsenal synergies and insane levels of customization as to how to take advantage of your weapons. It really is quite admirable, especially since it's combined with solid gunplay and fantastic movement system: but most people never even understood some of the core systems.

But I will fucking say that the whole mess is mostly the devs. fault for misleading marketing and just... lack of any clarity and explanation in the actual game.

I definitely would not recommend it on consoles, given how important precision shots, extreme speed of movement and constant weapon-switching is in this thing. I just can't imagine that working.
>>
File: Ocelot.jpg (51KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ocelot.jpg
51KB, 1280x720px
>>379477185
Wow didn't expect a clear and concise answer like this, thank you, anon.
But now I am very curious, I think I gonna rent for a day to see the upgrade system at least.
>>
>>379477063
Compared to Blackguards 1, one word that succinctly describes the sequel is "streamlined". I still enjoyed it, and it introduces some interesting combat options and the army system. Really depends on what you did or did not like in Bg1. But I am biased since I love the developers.
>>
>>379475840
Knights in the Knightmare is a poorman Riviera and Yggdra
>>
File: 18.jpg (39KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
39KB, 700x525px
Ghost Master. Still no alternative. Rights belong to whoever, game is mostly forgotten, no sequel ever
>>
>>379476570
I thought everyone liked shadow warrior 2? Best final boss theme
>>
>>379477386
>I think I gonna rent for a day to see the upgrade system at least.
I have to warn you right off the bet. It looks boring as fuck. That is one of the problems. It a whole bunch of mostly passive flat stat upgrades, there is like 30+ different values that you can tweak about your gun, most of which don't actually add dramatic change of an effect (at most they add a element-related decal and some particle-effects to the shot). The game stresses out DPS statistic in it's own menu (which is a filthy, filthy trick: DPS is literally the least relevant fucking value in the entire fucking game) - while the rest of the stats look insignificant and confusing and bloated.
Also, along the many useful upgrades, the game has an annoying tendency to shower you with ugprades that are worthless: chii regen and leech, health regen and leech, convert-to-elemental, those kinds of gems are really boring and do very little. In the end, people naturally opt to just whatever increases the DPS and maybe some elemental damage for elemental-weak enemies or something... and yeah, that is boring.
Plus there are other things that are unclear. For example: crit-stats. So have +crit chance and +crit damage. Sounds like upgrades you want to use together, right?
Wrong. You never want a +crit damage and +crit chance on the same weapon unless you are really floating gems. You want crit damage on precision weapons to that allow you deal crits reliably by precision shots without having to rely on random numbers to land them, and crit chance on weapons that hit as often and as many enemies as possible with no chance of natural crits: shotguns, AOE's, rapid-fire guns.
It's stuff like this. To most people, this is going to be tedious as hell. It's not obvious and does not look cool untill you get the hang of it.

The trick is to understand that it's not about getting the highest DPS from a couple of favorite weapons, but to make a bunch of specialized weapons you constantly switch between.
>>
>>379477185
The controls on console is suited to a claw playstyle, which is fine. Landing precision shots is harder, but still doable.
>>
>>379476316
>Psi ops a mindgate conspiracy
I've been trying to remember the name of that game for so fucking long, thank you anon
Now I have the theme song stuck in my head
>>
>>379477836
Seems... like they are really removing the most interesting part of the game to me - gearing the gameplay towards finding most universal and least precision-reliant builds that don't require that much weapon-switching. I can imagine this working with melee styles, but I personally found those quite a lot more dull than the good gun-oriented build.
>>
>>379476024

It's a knockoff of XCOM. I mean it's different but it follows the same steps and the premise is the same.
>>
>>379476998
Exactly, everything about the game was great, except for the actual game part. The RTS aspect was complete, not joking, 100% garbage. Everything else could have been released as a separate package and there'd be nothing to complain about, it'd be a Divinity VN and it would have been fine.
>>
>>379477945
I went with a universal style. Do you find it dull to have a gun for every situation or something? I still had precision guns, and those were still the heavy hitters. Nobody who bought it on console didn't already know what they could do in it already. It launched silently
>>
>>379477541
>I thought everyone liked shadow warrior 2?
They really, really did not. RPS loved it, but most reviews were around 70%, and absolute majority of people I've seen here hated it. Steam reviews aren't stellar either and the sales aren't amazing. Most people found it a major dissapointment as far as I can tell.

>Best final boss theme
The generally has some absolutely amazing music that it uses REALLY FUCKING POORLY.

Seriously: the main menu theme?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIyj8BAbaX4
Listen past 1.20 seconds, this is some almost ghost-in-the-shell level of shit.
Then you have Warrior, which I had no idea was composed specifically for this game.
Even the I am Power is pretty fucking kick-ass.

But they are used so poorly in the game. The final fight does not feel climactic at all. The game has absolutely no atmosphere, mostly because the levels are really just random arenas that you go through over and over: there is no exploration, no proper story, no sense of adventure. It's a shame considering the kickass music and art direction and the... well at least somewhat amusing writing.

It REALLY made me think of Painkiller in this regard.
>>
File: All is well in DDC.png (92KB, 939x426px) Image search: [Google]
All is well in DDC.png
92KB, 939x426px
>>379476998
>>379478026
The autobattle option was a godsend and made it play out more like a fun game of RISK. I fucking love RISK, so this was never a damper to me. The RTS part though was so fucking tedious the three games I tried of it. It was all auto-battle from there on.
>>
>>379478173
>wanna play shadow warrior 2
>remember hoji is dead and won't be in it

fuck
>>
>>379477981

Yes, but the point is that it tried to bring some new things to the table, but everything else didn't hold up.
>>
>>379478172
>Do you find it dull to have a gun for every situation or something?
I'm confused. Universal means "not having a special weapon for each situation", right? No, I find universal, that is having only one or two weapons that you stick to for most situations, dull.

>>379478279
If you want to play Shadow Warrior 2 for the continuation of the story from the first game: or in fact for any of it's narrative aspects... don't.
I mean I love SW2, but man if you want more of that storytelling stuff, you are going to be disappointed more than you can imagine.
>>
>>379478173
What the fuck? This game has some of the best gameplay in recent times and people say it was a disappointment? That just makes me angry. Are these the same people that count walking sims as games?
Also these devs love for Stan bush is something fierce.
>>
>>379476024
>Children of a dead Earth
My nigra
>>
>>379478398
Universal means something for anyone or everything. When I used universal I meant having multiple guns to handle different situations, which could mean a universal build.
>>
File: Acunity.jpg (44KB, 256x290px) Image search: [Google]
Acunity.jpg
44KB, 256x290px
relative to the franchise
>>
>>379477762
Can you post a video of all this in action? A good example of how someone SHOULD play SW2?
>>
>>379475679
It bothers me how both Manhunts did stuff wrong and right at the same time

>Manhunt 1
>Enemies have a good amount of personality and banter
>Starkweather was a pretty cool announcer
>executions are realistic yet brutal
>gunplay is awkward and limited
>weapon variety was pretty low, some areas even had only 3 weapons to choose from

>Manhunt 2
>Tons of weapon variety
>Enemies are just as crazy as you are, but sometimes they only show up once or twice and then disappear from the game forever
>Gunplay was a little better but now your character can tank tons of bullets unlike in 1 where getting shot actually hurt
>They went for a more sadistic and over the top way of executing enemies to piss off the moral folk

at least the sound design and Rockstars commitment to giving things you'll be shooting at a personality is there
>>
>>379477476
damn my nigga
fun game but god damn it was hard and a lot of waiting till stars align for some ghost to unlock
>>
File: 1480274691431.jpg (9KB, 233x271px) Image search: [Google]
1480274691431.jpg
9KB, 233x271px
>>379477476
Fucking this. This game is great, my dream is to make game like Ghost Master. Along with my two other dream games thought of making it haunts me everyday, but i don't have skills required to do it.
Each time i try to learn programming or use Unity, UE etc I quickly get overwhelmed and stop trying. After a while i try again and cycle repeats itself.

But this game is so good and fun. I have so many memories from time i played it with my cousin as kids. I remember how we tried to figure out how to unlock new ghosts or beat missions. We thought of ways to do it until he visited my home with his family again. Then we tried to use our tactics. I remember Headless Horseman being OP af
>>
>>379478423
>What the fuck? This game has some of the best gameplay in recent times and people say it was a disappointment?
Yep. Between this and the nu-Prey, things are not all right in the industry. Though I can more understand SW2's flop because really, THEY FUCKING FAILED TO COMMUNICATE ANYTHING about the game and in fact further supported the impression that it's like Borderlands. So that is kinda their own fucking fault.

It is actually really depressing. Last couple of years have been pretty depressing with one really interesting high-profile game bombing after another...

>>379478557
Yeah. I don't want to be a dick about this, but universal means "One thing fitting multiple purposes". Universal key is a single key that can unlock multiple doors, for an example. So you got me a little confused.

>>379478579
I don't think I have anything like that, sadly. And it is much more fun to explore the things yourself. Just remember that if you are having problems with bullet spongy enemies, find yourself a decent precision weapon, stuff it with all the crit-damage upgrades and then aim for the weakspot (usually, as Doom nicely put it, "If it has a face, than that is the weakspot") and trust me, the game is already 80% more fun.
Then start to play around with status effects (you'll want a crowd control weapon, probably a shotgun...). Remember that even though that flat increase in damage looks inviting (fucking misleading DPS stat!), status effect like freeze, shock or poison is usually more valuable.

For rapid fire weapons, get at least one double shoot mod. It will give them some actual punch and make them feel less like peashooters.

Double/tripple-barrel shotgun + double shot is essentially a nuke/panic button. Keep in mind that weapons with LONG cooldowns between shots will cool down even when un-equiped. Shoot your double-barrel, then immediately switch to another weapon for a few seconds. Once you switch back, it will be ready to fire again.
>>
>>379475679
>>379478745
That boss fight with the piggy
holy fuck it was a nightmare
suddenly elevator carashes and you stipped of all your weapons and 1 on 1 vs a maniac with a chainsaw
the sounds he made god damn
>>
>>379478953
Can I make the Uzi not garbage? Can I go through the game now with the starting weapons only because I like their looks way better than the crazy demonic bullshitshit you get late game?
>>
>>379479253
all of the cutscenes before you even reach the mansion that foreshadow the boss battle with Piggsy was pretty dreadful too
>>
>>379477476
Fuck, this! Loved this as a kid, was really original and definitely deserved a sequel or even a series of its own. There was even one teased at the end of the game, wasn't it? Why did they never get around to making it?
>>
>>379479327
>Can I make the Uzi not garbage?
I'll be honest, all rapid fire weapons are garbage by default.
There is a simple reason for this: the physical reaction of enemy being hit is purely determined by ratio of damage dealt and enemy total health pool, which is always calculated on a hit-per-hit basis.
This means that enemies aren't even flinching to hits that deal damage less than 10% of their total health pool. Which makes virtually ALL rapid fire weapons feel weak, regardless of the DPS you do: the individual hits don't deal enough damage to make the enemies properly react. You can kill pretty quickly with them, but it never feels satisfying.

One way to improve this is to use the double-loading upgrade. This will make your weapon deal double damage per hit, but also eat two bullets per shot. You can multiple of these, even. This improves things a lot. I never bothered with the Uzi, but I know the M60 or the Skeletor with double loading was actually kinda fun to use, as they dealt around 40+ hitpoints per shot, enough to make most enemies physically stagger quite a bit. It can be even further improved with you also fit a decent crit-chance upgrade into it. Alternatively, increase the ammo capacity to compensate for the increased ammo consumption.

I did entirely avoid using rapid fire weapons until like the mid game every time I played the game though.
Just bows, shotguns, chainsaws (seriously, this game has BY FAR the best chainsaws ever featured in a videogame), pistols and later on gauss guns and rocket launchers were my personal choice of arsenal.
>>
>>379478562
It fucked up almost everything that was still good in this franchise and made the bad things even worse. This was the game that finally made me lose all interest in AC, into the trash it goes. Biggest buyers' remorse ever.
>>
>>379478953
I was wrong about universal then. Sorry about that.
>>
>>379479327
>Can I go through the game now with the starting weapons
Starting shotgun and pistol can be useful well into the mid-game even on you got wang difficulty, but they do out-date eventually.
You'll find some non-demonic weapons later on: my favorite was the electro-chii sawed off shotgun which will easily replace the starting one and does not look like shit.
>>
Dungeon of the Endless is pretty neat
Hand of Fate mixes Batman Arkham combat with a card game roguelike
>>
>>379479985
DotE is great and has coop for fun times
Hand of Fate is a solid game its a shame it takes so long to unlock all the tokens\encounters and fighting is pretty easy\spammy
>>
>>379478562
It was the most interesting mechanically and they genuinely tried to improve shit instead of throwing shit to the wall and see what sticks, but Ubisoft fucked it up and Syndicate was back to the casual shenanigans again.
>>
>>379478562
> Combat system

Tried to make things more difficult, but fucked up melee combat by making it button mashy instead of actually rewarding proper counter timing and adding a stupid dodge move that felt terrible.

> Parkour

Parkour down was awesome, but jumping between object felt really weird and floaty.

> One city

The only thing to nailed

> Story

And this is where they shat the bed, the story kept irritating me with their usage of British accents for no fucking reason (The devs are French Canadian for fuck sakes) and the ending was so god damn predictable.

The game sucked pretty consistently after the awesome climax of being betrayed by your mentor.
>>
File: uncle d.jpg (45KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
uncle d.jpg
45KB, 400x400px
>>379477185
I played it on pc with ds4 controller.
yeah precise shots are harder but I mainly use melee and shotgun so there's no problem, and moving the melee direction with right stick feels better than moving your whole right hand with a mouse.
>>
Daily reminder that Dragon Commander was gutted by Larian and released incomplete so that they could get money for OS.

Never forget, never forgive.
>>
File: metroid_om_11_1600[1].jpg (696KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
metroid_om_11_1600[1].jpg
696KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>379478229

Yep, that's how you play Dragon Commander.
>>
>>379480201
I always thought that without the precision shots, high-HP enemies will become a MAJOR pain in the ass on harder difficulty. I can't really imagine dealing with most of the mini-bosses or the fucks like the sneks without my pimped out bow.
I tried Melee builds, and they work but I find them getting repetetive fast as the individual types of weapons (with the exception of fucking chainsaws) don't really feel that distinct from each other. And more importantly, the FUCKING elemental auras. Those made me not like melee builds very much.

On an unrelated note: I will never full get over the fact that they nerfed Autoreload skill so hard. I mean: yeah - it literally broke the game. But MY GOD WAS IF FUCKING FUN. Best cheat-mode I've ever seen in a shooter.
>>
>>379475563

King of Dragon's pass. There's not a single other game quite like it. The only way I can describe how it plays is Oregon trail mixed with a 4X mixed with a super lore heavy cyoa.
>>
File: unlimitedsaga.jpg (24KB, 211x300px) Image search: [Google]
unlimitedsaga.jpg
24KB, 211x300px
>>
>>379480208

I can forgive them for that considering OS is their best game in years.
>>
>>379480465
>could have had awesome politics/RPG game
>instead get another boring CRPG
>>
>>379476570
>Original War
Man that game was full of good shit.
>>
File: 1492452666663.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1492452666663.webm
3MB, 640x360px
I like gravity rushs approach to moving in a 3D environment.
>>
>>379480790
Fuck me I wanna play this but I have an Xbone.
>>
>>379480667
Shame it never got the fucking expansions or sequels it so desperately needed.

I mean they had to cut entire faction and campaign from the game to even get it released. I will never understand why it bombed. While I might be biased as fuck here (the game was made in my country, and it was well recieved in eastern europe), I actually just blame western game critics being biased fucking assholes for this, taking a brief glance at it, saying "hmph, it looks like cheap eastern-european command and conquer clone" and just completely dismissing it outright.
>>
>>379480790
There is something about the art direction and general tone of the game that rubs me off the wrong way, (it might also be my PC elitist and not-fond-of-weeboo-stuff bias talking) - but fuck me, the movement does look amazing in this game.
>>
>>379481109
I know the Arab campaign was cut, but what was the cut faction?
>You will never know who made the technology and why
>>
>>379480641

>boring CRPG

It's a shiny light amongst the shitheap of modern CRPGS that attempt to do nothing new.
>>
>>379481219
It looks more like comic books than anime I think.
>>
>>379475679
How God Hands way of evading and comboing didn't become a staple in the industry still baffles me.
>>
>>379481219

>weaboo-stuff

GR's art style is literally inspired by bande Dessinee, which is French-Belgian.
>>
>>379481252
Well, the arabs. They were not playable - at least not in singleplayer.
I think they originally intended even on an alien faction, but that was scrapped very early on into the development and reserved for the planned sequel.

>>379481364
Nah, it's anime as fuck. Which isn't necessarily bad... but it just does not sit with me well in this particular case. Maybe it's not really the anime thing as the weird stuck-in-a-middle aesthetics.

It feels like it kinda wants to be this almost Miyazaki-esque magical world with a hint of pic related style dream aesthetics which would be really cool, but then it's all painted over by a Fallout 3 style color filter and the settings don't really seem organic and the character design is just way too silly and sexualized and cheap for my liking.
I don't know. Something annoys me about it. But the actual gameplay in motion does look interesting as fuck.

>>379481524
Or ten thousand other Japanese artists that have been extremely heavily inspired by Dessinee, Moebius, and even Karel Zeman for the past four decades, to a point where it basically characterized half of Japanese pop culture art.
>>
File: Nazo.jpg (1MB, 1916x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Nazo.jpg
1MB, 1916x1400px
>>379481678
Shit, forgot pic related.
>>
>>379476024
>Cortex command
I remember playing the shit out of the demo ages ago. What happened to that game?
>>
>>379482428

Got some improvements here and there, some mods(added c&c and 40k things) and a more streamlined campaign with an AI that is not so retarded now.

The problem is that you will probably get bored after a few hours of trying everything, then get a few hours more out of mods and... thats it, for a game with such freedom its quite odd how much short it actually is.
>>
File: invisibleinc-2560x1140.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
invisibleinc-2560x1140.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
pretty underrated turn based stealth game
>>
>>379482428
Nothing as far as i know it never went farther then that.
>>
>>379481285
Not him but I agree with you, but as much as I love OS I would still like for them to improve on dragon commander, like better AI, better choices that do not feel black and white. Too bad the rts genre is dying out, with the exception of indie games.
>>
>>379482585

Everything modern xcom did wrong (which is pretty much everything), this game did right.
>>
>>379478229
I think the sole times I entered RTS mode was when I captured the red capital first turn, and when one of my armies(did battle on 4 fronts) was going to lose, other than that, either a general or autofight.
>>
>>379479781
Not that anon, but it sounds like it has the similar problem with the first shadow warrior in that on the highest difficulty only like two weapons weren't garbage. Am I wrong on that? Because I started to get tired of the same strategy over and over since it was the only one that really worked.
>>
File: 80days_postcard_2.png (259KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
80days_postcard_2.png
259KB, 1360x768px
80 Days. It's an adaptation of Around The World In 80 Days but half of it is a text adventure and the other half is resource management
>>
File: sprtrax.jpg (158KB, 790x563px) Image search: [Google]
sprtrax.jpg
158KB, 790x563px
>>
>>379480376
of course, if you just stick with melee it gets boring fast.
the way I had fun with it is using precision shots only for sneak/sniping like with the revolver or crossbow/bow then go melee on the small grunts then melee+shotgun+rocket/grenade launcher on tougher enemies.
I kinda ditched both smg and assault rifle coz their dps is kinda meh(maybe without precision shots), sometimes I switch to mouse on the go for shooting but don't rly do that much coz my wrist hurts from prior years of pc gaming :\
>>
Evolve is this game for me. Cooldown based reloads, great world build and character writing, the interesting hook of man versus wild animal, but yet it died. I hope they do something with the universe.
>>
>>379477476
And I thought I was the only one who had ever played it
>>
>>379483946
>Am I wrong on that?
Well, I thought that guns and gunplay in SW1 were garbage that could not be salvaged. SW2 - most weapons are actually fun, especially if you know how to take full advantage of them and of their upgrades. Most weapons are really fun to use. Shotguns are a little weird, they are very Painkiller-esque: they don't even try to simulate the pellets, it just literally hits everything on the screen. It sounds awful, but if you played Painkiller and remember the shotgun there: it's identical system and it's actually pretty fun.

The only REAL problem with guns in SW2 are the rapid fire ones, which can only be compensated by finding ways to drastically increase per-hit damage. Those are garbage.

Compared to SW1 where basically every gun was just bad, regardless of the upgrades, and the whole upgrade economy was frustrating as fuck, I think SW2 is generally a step in a lot better direction in the actual combat itself. If you'd compare how the bows and gauss guns in SW2 feel compared to the crossbow in SW1, you'd know what I'm talking about: it's just heaven and hell.

As for repetition, no: the two games don't share that same problem. SW2 SHOWERS you with upgrades that basically encourage you to completely switch out your weapon and upgrade loadout basically between each mission, which actually does the opposite thing than SW1 did: it gives the game HELL of a lot variety. the same weapon can feel pretty dramatically different with the right upgrades switched out.
So the "there is only one efficent strategy and I'm doing the same thing over and over" problem has been fixed.

But that does not mean you'll necessarily enjoy SW2 more than the first game.
>>379484864
I did mostly the same except using shotguns instead of melees to cut through the crowds. In general I enjoy the shotties in this game a LOT. Shotgun+double barrel+bow was my main combo, pistols, rocket launchers, gauss guns and chainsaws being complimentary.
>>
File: Coded_Arms_cover_art.jpg (67KB, 250x438px) Image search: [Google]
Coded_Arms_cover_art.jpg
67KB, 250x438px
Coded Arms was fun and very replayable (random generated areas)
Giving it a proper dodge button and metroid prime lock on system this game would be goat but instead they scrapped the random generation and did some story bs in the sequel. A shame really since it even had cool bossfights and upgradeabelw eaponry.
>>
File: header.jpg (127KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
127KB, 460x215px
Batman's Creed combat aside, the Nemesis system was really neat.
>>
>>379485220
they're called boomstick for good reason.
also I always keep the chainsaw eventhough other melee weapons are better just cause it's done better than Doom(kinda hate how it's only for insta-kill instead of actually using it)
>>
>>379477097
Not God hand
>>
>>379486159
The chainsaw is just... purely glorious in the game. Though I have to say, it's probably the only thing I believe might translate better into an analogue controller than it works on mouse and keyboard.
It's still good though. My god it's so good. Yeah, I also used it despite it being sub-optimal at times just because it's SO MUCH FUN.

That said, I really, really did not like the hybrid weapons: the chain-swords. Those felt like the worst of both worlds. And really inefficient too.
>>
>>379486271
Just because IGN hated it doesn't mean everyone did it too. It got fair score.
>>
>>379478173
I finished this game yesterday and I want to know what the fuck happened to the ending. It felt so damned rushed and made no sense, the whole game Kamiko has absolutely no desire to die and then she just flips?

And what was with that dragon? Did he actually kill you or was it one final "The Dragon swallowed the Wang" joke?
The worst thing is that it probably won't get a third game due to how many people hated it
>>
>>379489002
It's clearly a cliff-hanger to confuse people and make them demand/"look forward" to another sequel. As for Kamiko acting out of character - that is not true, the game TRIED to establish that she is coming to terms that she might have to sacrifice herself to save the world, it's just that the game really isn't very well written... And the dragon is there really to make you more curious about what did it mean. I'm 100% positive it does not mean anything else: just "Wow - now I don't know what happened to Wang, I can't wait to see what was that about!" Except... no one really cared, sadly.

I don't think there is really anything else to ponder about. It's just a cheap ending.

I do believe that we will get another one, eventually. While it did not do as well as they hoped, I did not flop completely either, and this is not a studio that has that many options to go. I'm pretty positive they'll try again unless they go bankrupt in the meanwhile. They should be fine though.

What I'm worried about is that the next one might not actually build on the strenghts of the second one though. They might decide to go back to the "roots" and do another more SW1 like game. Except SW1 was god fucking awful, and SW2 just needed more money, more testing and more polish to be great.
>>
>>379476570
>Shadow Warrior 2
I just found it boring. Having to open my inventory to see what I just picked up every 5 minutes in a FPS really fucked with my brain.
>>
>>379489636
Why would you do that? I mean: why would you fucking open your inventory in the actual mission. Unless you came across some kind extremely specific threat that you need to actually re-arrange your arsenal for: there is no reason to revist the inventory and tinker with your loadout more often than once every hour or two, usually between missions?
>>
>>379489636
I tried that at the start. The actual gun and sword play was fun, zipping around like an edgy anime character and slicing people up but having to go into the spreadsheet menu to make sure everything is optimized got annoying.

Eventually I just had 2 of every element in my weapon wheel and after every mission I would just hold down the down key to see if anything upgraded my damage. Didn't even bother with the vendors other than checking if they were selling any powers
>>
>>379475679
Patapon was a really fun game.
>>
>>379489779
I told you it fucked with my brain. Felt like I was playing Diablo, so I stopped to take a quick peek at the new thing I picked up. Waiting until the mission was done was probably the way to go.
>>379489851
Yeah, the gun and sword play was alright, would've enjoyed it more if it didn't have all the upgrading.
>>
>>379475679
I wish there were more games like these that actually tried to do something new and different. 6th gen was a goldmine for this because video game development wasn't nearly as expensive as it is now, so devs and publishers had much more room to just experiment with shit just because.

You forgot Killer7 on that list. Also No More Heroes was like that too.

W101 is probably one of the more original games made within the past 5 years and like, no one bought it. Fucking shame too, since it's a flawed masterpiece.

>>379480790
Still need to play both games.
>>
>>379490175
>I told you it fucked with my brain.
Well that is somewhat understandable, but you can't really blame the game for that.

>would've enjoyed it more if it didn't have all the upgrading.
I think the upgrading is what actually makes it really great, but I can understand why people just don't want it. It's like if you put a rythm minigame into your slow Turn-based RPG: it could be great minigame and it can perhaps even add to the whole experience: but people who don't want their twich-skills tested are going to hate it. It just oddly narrows the audience, in fact.

I love it, but from a purely sales perspective, it is a bit of shooting yourself in a leg here. People who like tinkering and spreadsheet optimization, and people who like Painkiller-style shooters don't usually overlap that much. I think that is one of the valid reasons why the game was not a major success.
>>
>>379475679
HMH and God Hand are the only ones that fit the criteria.
>>
>>379490931
No, I definetely don't blame the game. I played Shadow Warrior 2013 and thought it was kinda fun, so I thought this was gonna be more of that, but with friends.
If I blamed the game I would've refunded it, which I didn't.
>>
I had Blackguards gifted, how is its encounter system good? To my memory, all of the encounters are scripted along the story, and all it meant that you couldn't grind your way out if you leveled your character incorrectly (which is really easy to do, since only like half of the stats are useful).
Everything else in Blackguards is kind of really eh. One thing I can commend is the use of environment during fights, but even then:
>characters go along the "HMMM LOOKS LIKE THERE ARE FLAMMABLE GASES IN THE AREA, BEST NOT USE FIRE" even when it's obvious what are the threats
>hard as balls to lure enemies into the traps while keeping your party out of danger
>>
>>379490154
It sure was, one of my favourites. Shame I can't really play it any more, because starting from scratch requires horrible grinding to build a decent army.
>>
File: 409492-machines.jpg (24KB, 320x317px) Image search: [Google]
409492-machines.jpg
24KB, 320x317px
>>379475563
Please, someone tell me they played this game
>Machines: Wired for War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAsQvuIbpy0
A rts game that lets you control your units in first person.
>>
>>379475563
compared to other sRPG
>>
File: Team_Buddies_Cover_Art.jpg (98KB, 272x250px) Image search: [Google]
Team_Buddies_Cover_Art.jpg
98KB, 272x250px
>>379475563
>>
>>379475563
4x4 Evo 1 & 2

The game made an attempt at offroad racing and modification, while trying to use authentic parts and upgrades, earning your way into sponsorships, had racing and offroading missions (typically finding shit in the wilderness, treasure, ruins, lost hikers, downed planes, etc.)

The game got abysmal ratings, I think mostly for graphics.
>>
File: rad-cover.jpg (2MB, 3174x2142px) Image search: [Google]
rad-cover.jpg
2MB, 3174x2142px
Nobody posted R.A.D.? There's no other game like it still.
>>
>>379492765
clunky ass battles showing how realistic mecha battles will go with the voice acting so bad its good?

>>379492469
Team buddies was THE game we played with friends holy shit there is still nothing coming close to it
>>
>>379476024
>AI War
My fucking nigger, one of my favorite rts's ever. Shame the folks at Arson don't know how to make other games.
>>
>>379491991
Negro, it had a great intro too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX6RqbK7SO8
>>
>>379475679
half minute hero was overhyped garbage whose gimmick was really just a camouflage for lack of substance.

pikmin, guitar hero, and katamari damacy were all huge hits with multiple sequels, and probably more to come. are you retarded or trolling?

manhunt did well enough to get a sequel, which did well enough that some future sequel isn't out of the question. i think the whole rating debacle, and Nintendos betrayal, just soured them on it.

patapon and God Hand were both meme games
>>
File: EVE - Slicer vs Crow+.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
EVE - Slicer vs Crow+.webm
3MB, 960x540px
EVE is SpaceDiablo.
>>
>>379476316
My niggar jericho
>>
File: file.png (37KB, 349x181px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
37KB, 349x181px
>>379494573
>now with exciting protractor action!
>>
>>379485963

i vaguely remember playing this, but it felt quite generic and not a lot of substance to it
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.