[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong /v/? Has a game ever been more overhyped in history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: images.jpg (13KB, 263x191px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 263x191px
What went wrong /v/? Has a game ever been more overhyped in history?
>>
File: vp3.png (6KB, 265x166px) Image search: [Google]
vp3.png
6KB, 265x166px
>>>/vp/

Look, you all had your threads from the announcements and stuff. Great. Now fuck off to your board.
>>
>>379467979
An ironic question given how /v/ is a non-stop hype machine of consoleturds.
>>
>>379468156
>he does it for free
>>
File: 20_minutes.png (505KB, 667x470px) Image search: [Google]
20_minutes.png
505KB, 667x470px
desu, I think it went just right. While it wasn't exactly lasting, you could not find someone who didn't at least know someone who was playing Pokémon GO. The brand gained more awareness, the problem is that they didn't jump on it. There should have been a simultaneous release of Red/Blue/Yellow version for Apple/Android for .99-5$. But nintendo is like a mentally disabled child running a company with no possible way to put itself out of business due fuckhuge amounts of cash. If literally anyone else were running the show, Nintendo would be King of the fucking world (think classic pokémon on mobile, new versions on Switch, a new Metroid, F-Zero, Danky Kang, FUCKING EARTHBOUND, basically, non retarded utilisation of its IPs).
>>
File: 134261346.jpg (434KB, 723x1023px) Image search: [Google]
134261346.jpg
434KB, 723x1023px
>Take something already popular
>Show some vague concept of a new game with zero gameplay shown
>"Fans" (Retards) speculate themselves to oblivion creating massive hype over literally nothing
Pokemon Go is still amazing in my book, not because it's a good game but because it literally managed to make people go out of their house to play. During it's popularity peak you could see groups of people just sitting around playin this shit.
>>
>>379468683
>FUCKING EARTHBOUND
I like this meme almost as much as the Chrono Trigger one. Nintendo is the king of overrated games, I concur.

But you are also right in criticizing their strategic decisions, they could have released pretty much all Pokemon games on mobile, I would buy that and I am not a Pokefag.
>>
>>379468156
to be fair, /vp/ does its job fairly well. Pokémon is still a game and this board is devoted to games. I don;t think its that big of a deal when pkmn leaks over here for minute. Especially when the topic is "why did it (an entire game) fail" rather than "why is Magikarp (one specific character within a game) the best fucking choice for any battle ever?"
>>
>>379468892
The thing is, anyone who is actually interested in playing Pokemon on their phones just emulates it. Nintendo knows this.
>>
>Overhyped

Considering it increased mobile gaming globally by ten times in its first few weeks, its ridiculous to say it was 'overhyped'. The game had no longevity however, there's really no reason to go back to it.
>>
>>379469159
I agree, but I reeeeeally wanted to trade my pokemans with a bro, and Drastic does not support that. We ended up playing Emerald and did some trades and battles, but I wished I could do the same with SS/Platinum/B2.
inb4 I played too much pokeshit to call myself "not a Pokefag"
>>
>>379468892
My dude, desu I've never actually played Earthbound, but I know reddit-fags and probably a lot of 4chan-fags would cream their goddamn pants over a functional Switch/3DS port of Earthbound. I would make Nintendo some serious fucking money if I were in charge.
>>
>>379469308
>>379469159
Thing is, people will pay money for an official port if it means working online support/ compatibility with console versions/ pkmn bank
>>
Having everybody around you playing the same game honestly felt really cool and even surreal
It could have potentially lasted longer if it had trading and 1v1 battles from the start
>>
>>379467979
They fucked the tracking
Can't battle wild Pokemon to train
Battling sucks
Servers broken most of the time during launch
Unplayable in rural areas
It got cold and nobody wants to go on walks
>>
>>379468156
/vp/ is intended for Pokemon culture, not general discussion of the games. You're welcome, this thread is perfectly acceptable to post on /v/ - Video Games.
>>
>>379467979
It definitely helped the portable battery market
>>
>>379469315
lol, i just looked up Earthbound 3ds; it already exists... kms
>>
>>379468156
nigga do you see an all in there?
no
stfu and let this thread be
vp isn't a containment board just a subject focus board
>>
>>379469315
>>379469847
my point still stands. Hopefully NESflix is the answer to all my complaints.
>>
>>379467979
Its not that it was overhyped
its just that there was hype for longer than neccessary
They killed the game when it felt less like a search for something in a game of "hotter colder"

Now its just
"go over to this place, thats where the thing you want is"
and it just feels like a chore

Being uncertain of direction made the game fucking fun, because you were never sure which direction you'd need to travel.
I actually ended up losing 5 kilos and got to see roughly every street in my town because of the game.

Shame they're fucking retarded.
As shallow and superficial as the game was, those first weeks of the game felt like magic, I'll never forget it.

Seems to be an acute case of "fuck you we got your money. Now go down to your fucking 7 11 again if you want something decent again you trash human being"
>>
>>379467979
People still waste gas to drive around from gym to gym every night in my area.

I can't even comprehend why anyone would dump so much money and effort into this shit. I'll tell you what though, I still kick them out every time because I live close to a gym.
>>
>>379467979
>estimated 2016 revenue $1B
>went wrong
this is why you're poor anon
>>
>>379468780
this just reminds me of the retarded poketubers that make fucking videos like "POKEMON STARS COMING TO SWITCH COMFIRMED" and have some badly photoshopped thumbnail, yet just take some article that says "something something pokemon stars" and then just inflate the video to 10 minutes.
>>
I used to pretend play pokemon ecological adventures with my best friend growing up at a the only lake close to us you could swim in and not get sick.

That lake became a fucking tourist attraction because it was a hotbed for Dratinis, there would be hundreds of people a day, in the middle of a work day, in fucking WINTER, all going around playing pokemon Go.

It was the most surreal experience ever seeing everyone living out the imaginary games I used to cherish as a dumb little child

No fads last forever, but man they fast tracked the death of this game by just completely fucking it up and making pokestops the only point A-B goals since it'd just show you exactly where the thing you wanted is.
>>
>>379470091
>1B

This is probably the one game in the world that had the potential to make 100B. Niantic just wasn't prepared for what they really had I guess.
>>
File: 1494652412667.jpg (53KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
1494652412667.jpg
53KB, 500x383px
>>379467979
Half-Life 3
>>
>>379470416
I don't think anyone did
Everyone knew and thought "pfft a pokemon phone game, YEAH, WHATEVER, COOL"

and then within a day
literally the day I got my smartphone in that week, every pub I walked past had some drunkard shouting "YEAAAA POKEMON GO CREW CUUNTS"
I didn't even expect anyone I knew who like pokemon to even play it
>>
>>379467979
This game could've been so much more fun If they decided to go with "regions"

For example, have the US be Kanto, Europe Johto and so on, and then have people interract with other people to collect, trade Pokemon and battle via the Internet.

Of course that would also work if you made the regions smaller, like for example west US is Kanto and East US is Johto.

What they should've made is a regular Pokemon game, that expands into the real world and force you to enter a community of players worldwide, not a collectathon where you walk from A to B.
>>
>>379467979
No actual content to keep players interested.
>>
>>379467979
Yes Nier 2
>>
I still play it and I know tons of people that still do. Central Park is still filled with tons of people playing.
>>
>>379467979
Aimed for normies.
And normies move from fads quickly.
>>
>>379470915
This sounds like legit fun; too bad we don't work at gamefreak.
>>
File: 1357087338325.png (27KB, 926x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1357087338325.png
27KB, 926x1239px
How fucking hard was it to just make it like the mainline Pokemon games!?
>>
>>379472221
Also, nobody will ever mae a game like that because the license is already wasted on Pokemon GO. FML. I was so so so hyped for Pokemon GO, and was even more disapointed. They don't even have Geo depending encounters or day night circle as far as I know? (Water Pokemon only near bodies of water, or some Pomemon only by night and others only by day)
>>
>>379470915
Unova is the US equivalent region though.
>>
>>379472459
Do you mean in the actual Pokemon Games?

I meant it more in the way of: In the US you ONLY find Kanto Pokemon (or the equivalent of what you find in Pokemon Leaf Green and Fire Red) In Europe you ONlY find Johto Pokemon and so on (of course not as seggragated like that, but I hope you get my point)

That would force people to trade and connect with people of other "regions" It works for the Normal Pokemon Games, so why should it not work for Pokemon GO?
>>
lack of actual trading and battling probably
there's a rumor that a yokai watch is also going to make a geolocation mobile game
>>
>>379467979
>game
lol
>>
>>379467979
If only this game had more mechanics and actual content.
The world was such a happy place during these three weeks of popularity.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.