[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how the fuck will a MTG MMO work? Where to even start with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

File: mtg.jpg (35KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
mtg.jpg
35KB, 700x400px
So how the fuck will a MTG MMO work? Where to even start with the whole universe that is MTG?
>>
>>379457279
How would a hearthstone mmo work? o w8
>>
>>/tcg/
>>
>>379457279
I bet there will little to no actual card battling in the game, it's just going to be some WOW ripoff where you choose your colour alignment and you might see some name-worthy cards as NPCs.
>>
File: rook.jpg (245KB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
rook.jpg
245KB, 1512x2016px
>>379457279
>MTG MMO
Is this actually going to be a thing or is this one of those hypotheticals?
>>
>>379457458
They made a D&D mmo so maybe
>>
>>379457458
The Neverwinter Nights guys are doing it.
>>
>>379457405
I would unironically play this if there was no Jacetice League shittery, but knowing Wizard's incompetence, there'll probably be an assload of it.
>>
>>379457369
Fpbp as usual
>>
>>379458182
Anon, that's never going to happen. Hasbro has it in their heads that MTG can be as big as Marvel and is growing the Jacetice League to be The Avengers.
>>
>>379458352
It's fine. I don't have the money to pay a subscription fee anyway.
>>
Make it action based, release it on consoles and I'm sold. Also not f2p but b2p to keep out the shit.
>>
>>379457369
https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/07/magic-the-gathering-is-becoming-an-mmo/

>>379457458
>>379457580
>>379457932
Neverwinter, while there is a small few callbacks to Nights the team creating the game is not Bioware

>>379458897
>>379459192
Sorry f2p
>>
I hope it's not Jacetice league stuff. It'd be nice if they'd focus on planes that haven't been visited by the Jacetice league and are dealing with different threats. Maybe even a cluster of planes that are somehow separated from the ones we're used to.
>>
>>379458182
>>379458352
>>379461398
Been out of the loop for a while, what's the Jacetice League?
>>
File: 1335510310414.png (3MB, 900x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1335510310414.png
3MB, 900x1250px
>>379461713
>>
>>379461713
The Gatewatch in the new Zendikar block.

Jace, Chandra, Gideon, Lilianna, and Nissa.

Basically, Wizards forgot that we don't give a half fuck about their shitty planeswalkers. We want to explore cool planes, exotic critters and locales, and have fun.

But they want character driven nonsense.
>>
File: img-17.jpg (407KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
img-17.jpg
407KB, 800x600px
>>379457279
There's actually a good way to do this
>>
>>379462012
>card based gameplay

Sorry anon, that might hurt sales of cards. How do you feel about Gatewatch Kart racing instead.
>>
>>379462070
Anyone else maining Tezzeret? I swear he'd be unfair.

>Best cart
>Blue magic to slow down other planesdrivers
>>
Choose a plane to originate from and a starting color of magic to specialize in? Then, as you progress, you have the choice to multiclass in another color?
>>
>>379462246
Garruk is my boy. Nothing like getting all those wolves to pull your cart on Lap 3.
>>
File: 1496723918418.jpg (69KB, 960x666px) Image search: [Google]
1496723918418.jpg
69KB, 960x666px
The MTG universe and lore are incredibly deep; fucking up the story and atmosphere is the least of my concerns. I'm positive that the game will be trash, simply due to the fact that 99% of MMOs fail. If it's not WoW or RuneScape, it's going to fail.
>>
>>379457279
Considering they've done strategy games, board games, kinda action game things, and even DnD mods for Magic...
>>
>>379461713
Starting about a year ago, four (now up to six) of the reoccuring planeswalkers have formed a team of sorts called the Gatewatch to protect the multiverse from threats. Jokingly called the Jacetice League because Jace was one of the founding members and WotC has referred to the Gatewatch as a superhero team up. They're about to get their asses handed to them by Bolas though.
>>
>>379462712
People also call it the Jacetice League because Jace:Thrall::WotC:Blizzard with how obnoxiously they pushed him.
>>
File: 1419844154394.jpg (55KB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
1419844154394.jpg
55KB, 1008x720px
>>379462070
>that might hurt sales of cards
I hate that this is true.
That old dos game is great and does a good job of making a card game an rpg.
I can't believe people even bother with actually buying Magic cards, sure the game is pretty fun but having to collect a shit ton of cards and going through great expense to be viable is just silly, and yet people do this every year when cards rotate out.
It's pretty much a hard addiction for people, almost as bad as gambling and sportsfans.

I only bought in for one season a few years ago since one of my friends was into it at the time, I used a cheap budget deck that was good enough to win sometimes but overall not so great. I just want to play game and have fun as a social experience without having to empty my wallet every year.
>>
>>379457279
>mtg battlegrounds + lost kingdoms

Finally WoW is going to be fucking dead
>>
>>379462473
But anon, WoW and runescape already failed.
>>
>>379462473
>The MTG universe and lore are incredibly deep; fucking up the story and atmosphere is the least of my concerns.

If by incredibly deep you mean retconned every other year, sure.
Don't get me wrong, I like the MTG story but damn is it a hodgepodge. I can understand some of the early stuff getting retconned but now some things only last a couple of years and WotC has a creative department with a lot more oversight than when the books/comics were all shopped out to random ass people.
>>
>>379461776
wait did garruk actually become one of the jacetice league?

I am pretty sure he would be apart of Bolas, Tezz and the evil squadron.
>>
I think the whole " Jacetice League" hate is overblown, its not really that bad.

We still get to see different planes, its just now we have returning characters(which is not that new, anyone remember Urza?). I know I will get hate for this, but I like the little "arcs" they have had, like how Garruk became cursed.

I get there are legit criticisms but most people seem to just bandwagon on the hate.
>>
>>379457279
Be some trash shit made to make a quick buck off the retards at HASBRO who have zero fucking idea about anything to do with tech.

It's going to be shovelware.
>>
>>379462879
Some people buy new cards every expansion, some people buy new video games every month or so. I see it as being no different than any other form of entertainment in terms of needing to spend money on it.

These days I really only draft anyway. After the draft, sell anything worthwhile and combine with my winnings to get money for the next draft. Makes it a rather slow burn and most drafts only cost me a couple bucks out of pocket which is worth it for an evening's worth of entertainment to me.
>>
>>379463141

They all have bullshit and are driven with shitty plots that miraculously allow them to suceed.

>Liliana with the bogus chain veil
>Jace being a complete fuck and self insert for writers
>Nissa being able to use Zendikar to kill the indestructible eldrazi titans

MTG writing is garbage. But they have great designs and artists.
>>
>>379463441
wizards is overran with SJWs too. Not even /v/ hyperbole on this front. Absolutely full of trannys and women.
>>
>>379463417

Drafts are terrible.

fucking 4 hours playing magic with a bunch of fucking nerds.

The only good experience I had was at a game day where there were actually normal people there.
>>
>>379457279
Easy. You jump from plane to plane doing boring MMO shit. Starts on Dominaria, includes planes like Ravnica, Theros, Khans (pre and post time fuckery), ect.
>>
>>379463139
No. He got fucked up by Liliana and the Chain Veil and was slowly losing his mind. I think Jace eventually fixed him but at the moment Garruk is mostly just going around killing planeswalkers for fun.

The Gatewatch started with Jace, Nissa, Chandra, and Gideon. Gained Liliana and Ajani in the last couple blocks.

>>379463141
I don't mind them overall, but they've been beating us over the head with them since their introduction and it'd be nice for a breather. I don't see why we needed all of them on Kaladesh for the revolt, for example.
>>
>>379457279
be pretty easy, have a few planes as the leveling zones, add new planes as expansions or updates.
I'm sure you could easily base vanilla on like 1 or 2 planes. there's the potential for so much variety.
hell, it could even be like guild wars where there are separate stand-alone games that you can connect for a broader experience.
>>
Every previous MTG game that wasn't just a digital version of the card game with limited cardpool has been fucking horrible. I don't expect this one will be any different.

Get ready for them to milk the shit out of it with one plane per expansion.
>>
>>379463441
It's the same shit with Warhammer fantasy and 40k

>Extensive, well written and interesting lore
yet every time they write stories, try to do anything with the characters, or attempt to expand the lore it just ends up as hot garbage
>>
File: 1231312.png (185KB, 500x644px) Image search: [Google]
1231312.png
185KB, 500x644px
>even remotely interested in a game from Perfect World

You "people" are fucking retarded
>>
>>379463671
It also seems like they are just straight up serializing the expansions now.

With the aspect of Emrakul showing herself to Nissa we are probably going to see Eldrazi and another Emrakul in the near future.

Most liking prepping story for the MMO.
>>
>>379463535
I guess it varies from store to store. Most of the people who play here are pretty cool. But hey, I'm enough of a "fucking nerd" to be talking about a card game on 4chan so what do I know.
>>
>>379463535
The biggest problem I had with MTG is the time requirement. Any paper event takes forever. The digital product feels like 90s DOS game. It's completely not worth it in time or anything.

The only decent way to play MTG is actually casual which is pathetic.

They are investing in a MMO when they are getting killed in digital.
>>
>>379463141
The thing is before the Jacetice League, Urza and Mishra getting name dropped wasn't the focal point of the planes/set.

Nowadays they very much are the focal point of every expansion to the point it's all about them.

I'm tired of hearing about the Gatewatch saving another plane from the same re-occuring villain. It makes their universe feel incredibly small seeing the same 6 names repeated every time.
>>
>Browse cards online, finally cave and buy a box
>Spend hours happily sorting and building my cards
>Play casually with brother or friend when I can
>friend makes his own decks but is bad and gets butthurt af when I win (most of the time) and really just is a sore loser
>going to LGS is fully of legit smelly autists
>don't want to spend $1k on a fucking modern deck
>standard is only fun some of the time
>sealed is ok
>mtg online and magic duels are shit

what to do? i feel like mtg is too expensive compared to vidya especially. most of the "Strategy" is just buying mythics and planeswalkers
>>
File: gw292.jpg (179KB, 824x972px) Image search: [Google]
gw292.jpg
179KB, 824x972px
it's been done
>>
>>379463826

I am talking about these weird looking folk that are tall lanky and balding, short fellows with glasses mustaches and bad haircuts, weird early 20s milenials with high pitched voices.

Fucks talking about keeping a goddamn Oketra sleeved and unplayed because they are worried that it would be lightly played. Shit is fucking $2 and they never heard of online card shopping and actually trade cards with each other.

Shit like that, felt like I was having an metallurgic reaction when I was hearing them speak.

But the game day was completely different.
>>
I wouldn't mind a Jacetice League MMO if it played like Vindictus. I feel like action-oriented, mostly instanced stuff is the way to go if they could nail combat.
>>
>>379464072
I'd say play sealed events so that everyone is relatively equal.
I play standard though, because my LGS is pretty chill, not filled with smelly autists, and has enough players for two tiers so I can play my pants on head retarded decks whenever I please
>>
>>379464072
edh is best way. There is enough strategy with a lot less hyper mlg autistm
>>
>>379464161
You can't.

You would have to be summoning creatures left and right and you would play as a general of an army.

Like, that is the whole shtick of a planeswalker right? You summon a bunch of shit and use powers while having the ability to travel between dimensions?
>>
ravnica hopefully
>>
>>379464161
You're a moron if you can't tell this is shovelware.
>>
>>379464305
Everyone's equal. Except the guy that slipped a mythic or two in their deck :^)
>>
>>379461078
D&D Online is the D&D MMO, not Neverwinter.
>>
>>379464395
I legitimately feel bad for you if this has happened.
>>
>>379464321

I've been thinking about this. However, the only generals I have are General Tazri and Grand Arbiter Augustin IV. I looked up the EDH "tiers" and Tazri is top 7 commander and Arbiter is 2nd tier. Does that matter? I would mostly just fuck around 1v1 with a friend, so I dunno if I have the cards to build another EDH deck to go against it

then again when I netdecked some EDH decks most cards were like 25 cents which was a nice fucking change

but the lands tho, goddamn the lands rape me everytiem

how am i supposed to pay for the goddamn lands

>>379464305
sealed was pretty fun i guess
>>
>>379464305
>>379464395

exactly, fucks bring pre built decks to the sealed events and spend all fucking day there.

Why can't they have deck registration at sealed?

Unless you play midnight release you are going to be fucked at an event.

>yeah guys I pulled two second suns and a daze in this event guys!
>>
>>379464507
Paper sealed play is rampant with cheating, to an obnoxious degree. Some people are blatant as fuck about it, while others sneak in a couple low-key, but strong cards.
>>
>>379462246
I'm maining Teferi
>other racers can't use gas pedal
with orim's chant on a scepter
>can't even turn on engines.
>>
>>379463821
Another Emrakul? Are the Eldrazi not unique? Emrakul is simply trapped in Innistrad's moon though, and since we've already seen how the Hellvault can shatter (and that was made from a piece of the moon), it's not unlikely that she makes it out at some point.
At the moment, I have a feeling they'll return to Mirrodin/Phyrexia as a big bad before we get any more Eldrazi. Plus I seriously doubt Bolas will be defeated in this arc and there are other villains or rogue planeswalkers out there to deal with like Tezzeret, Nahiri, Garruk, or Ugin.

>>379464139
Like I said, probably depends on your local store. I don't mind the people at my store.
>they never heard of online card shopping and actually trade cards with each other.
Well it is a trading card game.
>>
>>379464498
Both of them are "the D&D" mmo

>Dungeons and Dragons Online
>Neverwinter (not Neverwinter Nights)
>>
>>379464614
>>379464556
absolute cancer, jesus christ. part of me isn't that surprised though. some people take whatever advantage they can.
>>
>>379464683
When it all starts with a comment that "they made a D&D MMO," then Neverwinter isn't actually.
>>
it would possibly the most generic creation of all time
>>
>>379464525
Edh is a slow format with a lot of potential for fucking around. You can get away from using the expensive land as long as your not going 4 to 5 colors. Tho 3 colors will suffer a bit but it can work with just basic cheap land. Tiers dont matter much edh is a format for fucking around and playing wtih a few friends
>>
>>379464673

Tezzeret and Bolas are buds so you will likely see them together.

In the recent story they couldn't help themselves and they brought back the avatar of Emrakul in a vision from Nissa.

What I am thinking is they are going to pull a wow and have all these climactic battles happen in the game.

Ditch the gatewatch in the MMO and leave magic to be great again.
>>
>>379463141
They are being whored out like hell. Major characters of pre-NWO rarely had their own dedicated cards but since Wizards introduced "Planeswalker" cards the gatewatch gets new cards each fucking sets to make sure players include their special snowflake superheroes in their decks.
>>
>>379464825
Who is they? Cryptic, the team behind Neverwinter is working on this so are you talking about them?
>>
>>379457279
How could this possibly end well? Most MMOs fail after the first month and WotC doesn't have a good track record when making MTG games.
>>
>>379464913
jesus christ it is really bad.

Especially with the inclusion of "Planeswalker decks"

Shitting out planeswalkers and the same fucking ones over and over again.
>>
>>379464942
They are They.
>>
>>379464072
Find someone who has a cube or battle box. Pauper can be relatively inexpensive, I think.
>>
>>379465054
they got massive amounts of money through the battle for zendikar-amonkhet blocks and they decide this is the best way to make more money.
>>
File: Image.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
>tfw planeswalking Hidetsugu with oni powers never ever
>>
>>379465054
It's a perfect match. WotC makes shit games and the MMO playerbase spoon up shit and ask for seconds.

>>379465082
I quit the cardboard over planeswalkers. Nice to see them still riding that train.
>>
I really HATE planeswalkers. Feels unfair as fuck in duels.
>>
>>379462879
Play commander my nigga. It's the dumbed down, more bombastic and casual (and occasionally political) version of the game that never rotates out.
When new sets drop it's not an autistic race to learn how your deck has been ruined and needs completely new parts, it's a slow and fun browsing of new toys that you could take or leave based purely on preference.
>>
>>379465183
Kamigawa did so bad, I wonder if they'll ever try it again. But I guess we got Tamiyo so we don't necessarily need to go back there to get a planeswalker.
>>
>>379465183
Hidetsugu is the hero mtg needs
>>
>>379465363
didn't they recently just include the japanese kamogawa dragon in a commander set?

I really doubt they are going to revisit japanese land.

Innistrad probably going to be revisited a dozen more times before then.
>>
>>379465541
Yeah, the supplemental sets can draw from pretty much anywhere.
>>
File: 51HR5Q9nQSL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (33KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
51HR5Q9nQSL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
33KB, 350x350px
>>379465248
>>379465208
At least you can play commander to get away from the planeswa--- oh, wait.
>>
>>379465819
they had commander planes walkers for a bit now.
>>
>>379465819
As much as I absolutely HATE planeswalkers, for some reason I don't mind C14s. As long as it's a one-off and doesn't happen over and over.

I think it's okay because they actually managed to be interesting characters who didn't get literally YEARS of content and story devoted to their childish exploits.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.