[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic the gathering is apparently getting an MMO says Google

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: Screenshot.png (489KB, 1080x1840px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot.png
489KB, 1080x1840px
Magic the gathering is apparently getting an MMO says Google search. Anyone hear anything about this? Anyone know why this might exist.
>>
>>379442767

They'll cancel it after the MtG movie bombs.
>>
This shit just blows my mind.
Cryptic?
Perfect World?

Why would you condemn your game to be a piece of shit before its ever even released? That's like googling the OBGYN doctor that has the highest infant mortality rate and picking him.

Also, MMOs are dead. This just rustles my autism. This is going to be generic WoW-clone trash-tier themepark MMO bullshit with constant self-referential winks/nods to the cardgame.

Take me jesus, I'm ready
>>
>>379442810
Let's hope so. I mean like you don't even need warning signs to know F2P MMO of a card game is going to be a mess.
>>
>Wizards of The Coast
>ever allowing a good Magic vidya game to be made

The retards at WoTC think that a Magic video game would detract from physical card sales and deliberately make it so that any Magic game is shit
>>
I would have assumed it'd just be a mmo version of their old mtg adventure game where you walk around and card battle and shit

I think that's actually pretty nifty, especially since you can do shit like fight pve against an ai deck with broken cards and shit

Naturally it won't be anything like that and be shit.
>>
File: EN_Liliana_4_Gallery.jpg (217KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
EN_Liliana_4_Gallery.jpg
217KB, 1200x675px
>>379443117
I don't think they'll use cards in the game because of that reason. Instead I'm seeing the game working as a interactive advertisement for cards with waifu microtransactions.
>>
>free-to-play

stopped reading there
>>
>>379443075

I'm hoping they come their sense, cancel the movie, kill/disband the Gatewatch, then do a Netflix animated series so we can actually explore the actual planes rather than the most interesting part of MtG being used as a stage for the bullshit plays starring the Gatewatch.
>>
>>379443062
What's wrong with Cryptic? They haven't made a bad MMO yet and all of their games are still running aside from City of Heroes which NCSoft forced down.

Perfect World also has a good track record for treating it's MMOs well. Out of all the MMO publishers, which would you rather have pubish it? Almost anyone but PW would be putting an expiration date on it the moment it fails to reach critical mass.

MMOs are certainly a shit genre I'll agree, but Cryptic isn't that guilty of the theme-part MMO design. They focus their games around powerful tools for players to make their own content. I'm not trying to hype the game, but taking issue with PW and Cryptic makes it sound like you don't know what you should complain about so you're just picking random shit.
>>
>>379443597
What if we can earn cards for our MTGO accounts by playing the MMO... Would that get people interested?
>>
>>379443910
I'm expecting some kind of tie-in like that at the start, like play to a certain point for cards in MTGO. I think they'll try to get a physical tie-in with paper magic to really try to get people on this.

I do feel like instead of jobs or classes you'll unlock planeswalkers instead of being your own character. It'll let them sell the the cute ones in the cash shop. And things like "MTGMMO Jace gameplay reveal" sound better than "Blue deck". Also easy way to make updates is just throw a new planeswalker on the shop.
>>
Fuck it I'll probably play it. I loved MtG and Cryptic made stat trek online didn't they? STO was awesome
>>
>>379444495

I'd rather be my own Planeswalker, honestly. Fuck the Gatewatch.
>>
Gimme a rundown on the Gatewatch I keep seeing mentioned in these threads. I haven't followed the lore since Innistrad
>>
I want it to be good, but I don't have hopes for western mmo's specifically.

Also, if we don't get to fight off Phyrexia then it's shit anyway.
>>
>>379442767
Even if it amounts 1 million players, it'd still have less planeswalkers than the card game does.
>>
>>379444779
the avengers of the magic world
>>
File: latest.jpg (74KB, 620x453px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
74KB, 620x453px
>>379444795
I need this in my life
>>
>>379444643
I think most people would. It's hard to market faceless custom protagonist though. Only game I can think of that did it was Skyrim and it only happened because of a meme.

>>379444779
The marketable planeswalkers made a club and stop bads together is what I quickly read.
>>
>>379444943
Sounds gay
>>
>>379444795
>tfw ywn play a Myr planeswalker and avenge Mirrodin
Why, life?
>>
>>379444779
Gatewatch aka the "Jacetice League" is a super-hero banding together of every post-mending walker such as Jace, Chandra, Gideon, Ajani, Nissa and even fucking Liliana. Mark Rosewater even had them swear a super hero oath of allegiance of good and harmony. It's the biggest cancer and blight on MTG since Battle for Zendikar since now every single story revolves around a plane in disaster and the Jacetice League showing up to save everyone with their protagonist powers.

Amonkhet was such a letdown because while we had actual good original characters and their own story of their own struggles and strife, it all gets kicked over just so Jace and crew can look heroic and cool. Fuck marketing to kids, man.
>>
>>379444779

Basically it's a super hero team but made of Planeswalkers. Instead of exploring the the different planes and meeting the people there we are following around the Gatewatch.

Basically they are suppose to be the face characters for Magic the Gathering for easier marketing, and for the Magic the Gathering movie because Mark Rosewater really wants to return to his people in Hollywood.
>>
>>379442767
It doesn't matter.

The F2P model already killed MMOs by making the construction of an immersive, community based experience impossible. Also because it allows Chinese gold farming bots, 12 year olds and scammers to easily flood every server because it's free and there's no barrier to entry.

Go for a 10 dollar a month subscription model with no cash shop or go fuck yourself.
>>
>>379443062

PWE is the only MMO publisher in the world that has managed to keep their shit together.
>>
File: 1297298860176.jpg (8KB, 251x159px) Image search: [Google]
1297298860176.jpg
8KB, 251x159px
>>379443698
>We''ll never get a Netflix original series starring Jason Mamoa as Koth, Michael Fassbender as Tibalt, Nicki Minaj as Kiora, and Tom Waits as Ugin
why bother living
>>
>>379444495
Damn, that does sound likely. I hate the idea so much it's probably exactly what they'll do.

Then again Cryptic is all about character customization in their MMOs so I think they might just let you have loads of options for making your own planeswalker.

>>379445323
I fucking don't get why fictional universes go in this direction of just sapping all creativity and imagination from the players. Actually you said exactly why they do it.

I don't get where people's imaginations have gone now. Didn't other people kind of imagine what their own planeswalker would look like when they were playing a deck?

>>379445564
this. I think that they probably weren't WOTC's first choice, but no one wants to do an MMO anymore. I think them and Cryptic are about as good a fit we can hope for in the genre's darkest times.

>>379445434
I disagree. MMO's were pillaged when the big companies flooded the market chasing WoW's success. People were willing to try varieties of them then, but those companies didn't care anything about the assumptions MMOs were founded on: that this world and your effort and time spent in it would matter and be protected. After MMO gamers watched a variety of games get shut down and go offline, those memories stuck with them, and after experiencing that atleast twice, you learn to never trust MMOs. They basically had no respect for what virtual worlds were predicated on and no rights for the comsumers to protect their time in the games. I think mobile games will experience the same bubble bursting with their highly predatory disposable cheap games they flood phones with.

That and games that actively waste people's time are alot less attractive now. There's endless numbers of games I can play. I can game from dusk till dawn without spending a buck. It's a way different time than when $15 a month for a game that didn't end and kept getting updates was a good value. Those kinds of MMOs just aren't going to be able to come back ever I feel.
>>
>>379442767
>make your own planeswalker
>fight against shitty mobs is like playing lost kingdoms
>playing against bosses or dungeons is like the original xbox game
>tfw have to wait years for this to release

If I take sleep medicine everyday I can get there faster
>>
>MMO based on the card game
>Not a card game MMO
What's the point?
>>
What's next? An ASSFAGGOTs game?

I might actually give an MtG ASSFAGGOTs game a try so I can play Toshi.
>>
>>379442810
They already cancelled the mtg movie.
>>
>>379442767
mtg's lore is usually pretty shit and every non-card-based mtg videogame has been bad. This is just out of touch Hasbro executives trying to cash in on a valuable IP.
>>
>>379448775
Muh lore
>>
Because wizards is hilariously inept when it comes to anything MTG at this point.
>>
>>379448872
No Toshi for you my friend, they would make 25 versions of Jace/Chandra instead.
>>
File: mtg battlegrounds.jpg (188KB, 800x1143px) Image search: [Google]
mtg battlegrounds.jpg
188KB, 800x1143px
best magic game coming through
>>
>>379449162
What? Are you saying we can't have the lore and keep the card game gameplay?

I want to be a badass Planeswalker with my library of powerful cards and stare down a Sphinx in battle and have a random fucker capitalize on the difficulty and gank me turn five turning it into a 3 way battle of champions
>>
>I need 20 drudge skeleton skulls
>first kill
>drudge skeleton keeps regenerating
>>
>tfw get a nissa mount
>>
>>379449338
sup
>>
File: il_570xN.1213991463_hcn4.jpg (158KB, 570x804px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.1213991463_hcn4.jpg
158KB, 570x804px
>>379449223
Rip dreams. Guess it's time to main best Jace
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.