[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Square Enix

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 22

File: Square-Enix.jpg (29KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Square-Enix.jpg
29KB, 1600x800px
How did a company that was just a few years ago seemingly spiraling the drain manage to unfuck their shit so conclusively?
>>
>>379440827
They didn't though?
They haven't made a good game in a long fucking time. All their decent ones projects were when they only acted as a publisher or co-developer.
>>
File: cowardking.jpg (26KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
cowardking.jpg
26KB, 636x358px
>mfw this thread
>>
>>379440827
They'll tell you 3, no- 5 years.
>>
>>379441047
I'm not talking about their actual productions, just how they managed to turn their over all house around.
>>
>>379441135
It was 4, actually.
>>
File: Tragedia.gif (483KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
Tragedia.gif
483KB, 500x275px
>>379440827
>FF15 is a gigantic tard
>Luminous is unusable shit
>KH3 still not released
>Star ocean 5 is disgusting
>World of FF is a boring crap game
>FF7R won't be out for at least another 2 or 3 years and it already seems to have development problems
>Only decent game they released lately was Nier 2 and it wasn't even developed by them

If Dragon Quest 11 ends up being shit too, they should considering killing the game dev company and go full pachinko like Konami.
>>
>>379441292
Let me contribute

>Made Taito a mobile dev
>Canned every future Eidos project after forcing them to do reboots and trash sequels
>Fired a good chunk of former Enix staff
>Refuses to put SaGa on PS4 and localize it or any other installment
>Makes constant delays spanning at least 3 years a project
>Nomura
>Won't localize good spin-off Dragon Quest games unless Nintendo gives them "incentive"
>Slowly killing XIV with bad decisions yet again
>Final Fantasy Explorers
>Cloud's personality is now forever based of off Advent Children
>No more Theatrhythm because fuck you

I really wish they'd just die at this point.
>>
File: saga-scarlet-grace-429387.15.jpg (74KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
saga-scarlet-grace-429387.15.jpg
74KB, 640x640px
>>379441047
Why does /v/ hate Scarlet Grace? Is it just general SaGa hate or something about SG specifically?
>>
File: 1484506068945.png (474KB, 500x514px) Image search: [Google]
1484506068945.png
474KB, 500x514px
>>379442118
Maybe because it won't ever be fucking localized?
>>
>>379442118
Not even wikipedia acknowledges its existence.
>>
>>379440827
>manage to unfuck their shit

Excuse me?
>>
>>379440827

In late 2013-early 2014, they completely upended their management. Wada was FINALLY pushed out. Even though he should have been pushed out of the company even before they merged with Enix. A bunch of his hand-picked cronies were also pushed out.

The new group that took over started to gradually shift focus to all the things Wada was blocking. We just didn't see the effects of this until late 2015 or later. For example, nearly all of SE games since 2015 have been localized to the west. Before, they would have blocked all Dragon Quest, Star Ocean and Drakenguard games. Now suddenly they're all getting released. Sadly, we aren't getting all the missed games from before 2015 though.

If you're asking how the company is doing better financially, that's mostly because of their MMOs (Dragon Quest X and Final Fantasy XIV), a shift to DLC filled smartphone games and outside investments in anime and music.
>>
>>379443371
>For example, nearly all of SE games since 2015 have been localized to the west. Before, they would have blocked all Dragon Quest, Star Ocean and Drakenguard games.

Are you stupid by any chance?
>>
>>379443902

No. Are you? A couple Star Ocean games and Nier came out, but SquareEnix was always threatening to drop support for them if they didn't sell enough. And they completely dropped all support for Dragon Quest since 2007, relying on other companies to release DQ games for them. Then suddenly in 2015, they started releasing all the DQ games themselves.
>>
>>379442118
You already know that SaGa isn't popular in the west. It is like kryptonite for people that like JRPG's.
>>
File: ogrelovesslimes-1.jpg (492KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
ogrelovesslimes-1.jpg
492KB, 1280x800px
>>379441292
>>379441859

>head producer of Dragon Quest X outright said the game would be released internationally, then two years later they retract this
>blocks foreign IPs from playing Dragon Quest X on Japanese servers, even resulting in some Japanese players getting locked out
>funnels payments for DQX through a proxy website that only Japanese people can access
>people on twitch and youtube who show gameplay of Dragon Quest X get their accounts banned (including Japanese accounts)
>embargo western journalists from talking about the game at all with threats

The length SquareEnix is going to block any knowledge of this game is conspiracy level crazy.
>>
>>379444490

Define unpopular. Back in the PS1 and PS2 days, it sold about as much as a typical unadvertised JRPG. Of course SquareEnix thinks any game that doesn't sell as well as Final Fantasy is a failure. But that's kind of the problem.
>>
>>379442880
No, you're not excused.
>>
>>379444719

holy crap, I didn't know any of this for a fact but have always wondered why it is that despite being a huge DQ fan, I know extremely little about DQX and find it hard to come by information about it. that's insane.
>>
>>379444168
>A couple Star Ocean games and Nier came out, but SquareEnix was always threatening to drop support for them if they didn't sell enough
They did the same with MMOs when the original FFXIV flopped. Guess what happened?

>And they completely dropped all support for Dragon Quest since 2007, relying on other companies to release DQ games for them.
They outsourced their localizations because their other teams were working on Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Star Ocean you twat. They needed someone else to handle the franchise because of how busy they were.

And guess what? IX sold spectacularly because Nintendo stepped in and heavily advertised the damned thing because most of the people localizing it was from their company.

>Then suddenly in 2015, they started releasing all the DQ games themselves
Because suddenly they had money from the franchise and wanted to cut out the middle man. But unlike Nintendo, they decided NOT to advertise it save for a few GameStop cardboard stands. Their mismanagement made 7 and 8 sell like shit, both from a lack of spending money to shill their titles and because they waited THREE WHOLE FUCKING YEARS to localize them.

Square is an awful company and you should feel awful for trying to justify their existence in any way.
>>
>>379441292
>>379441859
>>379444719
Big pasta

>FF15 is a gigantic tard
>Luminous is unusable shit
>KH3 still not released
>Star ocean 5 is disgusting
>World of FF is a boring crap game
>FF7R won't be out for at least another 2 or 3 years and it already seems to have development problems
>Only decent game they released lately was Nier 2 and it wasn't even developed by them
>Made Taito a mobile dev
>Canned every future Eidos project after forcing them to do reboots and trash sequels
>Fired a good chunk of former Enix staff
>Refuses to put SaGa on PS4 and localize it or any other installment
>Makes constant delays spanning at least 3 years a project
>Nomura
>Won't localize good spin-off Dragon Quest games unless Nintendo gives them "incentive"
>Slowly killing XIV with bad decisions yet again
>Final Fantasy Explorers
>No more Theaterhythm because fuck you
>head producer of Dragon Quest X outright said the game would be released internationally, then two years later they retract this
>blocks foreign IPs from playing Dragon Quest X on Japanese servers, even resulting in some Japanese players getting locked out
>funnels payments for DQX through a proxy website that only Japanese people can access
>people on twitch and youtube who show gameplay of Dragon Quest X get their accounts banned (including Japanese accounts)
>embargo western journalists from talking about the game at all with threats
>>
>>379441859
>No more Theatrhythm because fuck you
All-Star Carnival released last year

Now we just wait for the console port
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4lLInfK_VU
>>
They are still actively fucked up aside from the DQ department. FFXV is a pile of garbage, and FFVII remake seems to be in dev hell and its only EPISODE 1. KH3 is also absent.
>>
>>379445613
>“The voice actors have almost finished voice recording of the main story. Fans may have the image of the Cloud from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, but since this is the ‘prime’ Cloud from before Advent Children, the performance may feel fresh.”
Anon??

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/final-fantasy-vii-remake-main-story-voice-recording-almost-complete
>>
File: FF_XV_cover_art.jpg (22KB, 250x266px) Image search: [Google]
FF_XV_cover_art.jpg
22KB, 250x266px
>>379440827

This game is probably the literally worst open world experience I've ever had.

I'm not even kidding, it has everything an open world game can do wrong, with the added on-rails car to make the open world even more stupid since you spend more time not playing the game then playing it.

I gave up on doing sidequests because they are literally the same. Someone did the laziest shittiest job possible in coding them.

The whole game can be described like this:

>talk to random object near "quest giver"
>watch your car drive for literally 5 real world minutes to the quest location
>walk/ride a chobobo for a few yards in a sterile empty world
>IMPERIALS ABOVE US for the 100th time, just ignore it again
>find a special mob walking in circles around an item on the floor, this is the quest itself
>kill the mob
>spend the next minute jumping around while trying to grab the object with X
>walk/ride a chobobo back to the car
>IMPERIALS ABOVE US for the 101st time, just ignore it again again
>spend an other literal real world 5 minutes watching the car going back
>deliver the quest
>the quest giver gives you an exactly copy-pasted quest but in a different location

This is probably one of the worst games I've ever played. It truly is a massive waste of your time. You spend at least 50% of your whole play time watching the car drive itself.
>>
They made games people like that sold well.
>>
>>379445819
We'll see.

In 10 years.
>>
>>379445825
Starting the game in the shit ass desert full of absolutely nothing. I will never understand this decision. And its not like it gets that much better in duscae
>>
>>379445825
>excusing DA:I
>>
>>379444490
Please elaborate on this "kryptonite" metaphor.
>>
people thought FFXV was a good game and bought it in droves.
>>
>>379445439

>They outsourced their localizations because their other teams were working on Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Star Ocean you twat. They needed someone else to handle the franchise because of how busy they were.
You have no idea how the localization process works. The DS and PS2 games which were actually published by SquareEnix were still outsourced to a translation company (Plus Alpha). The later games Nintendo published also had a third party company doing the translation (8-4). All of these games, wither SquareEnix published them or not, still had a handful of SquareEnix employees who oversaw the localization process. Namely Noriyoshi Fujimoto. He was not 'busy' working on other series.

This is one of the dumbest excuses I've ever seen. And it keeps getting repeated. SquareEnix didn't stop localizing DQ games because of a lack of people to do it. They stopped localizing it because they didn't think it would make enough money. Which is their dumb expectations of how much profit a game should make. These are the same people who claimed a port of Chrono Trigger on DS was a failure even though it sold 900,000 copies. A company like Namco or Atlus would have been claiming a massive victory if they got a JRPG to sell that much. Let alone a port that cost almost no money to release.

Since the change in management, this mentality has changed. And games that sell under a million are getting released again.

>Because suddenly they had money from the franchise and wanted to cut out the middle man.
If that was true, they would have gone back to supporting DQ back in 2009 after DQIX sold so well. But they didn't. And the games they released under their name didn't sell as well as other DQ games. DQ Builders sold above their very low expectations, but the Heroes games sold below their expectations.

Your logic makes no sense at all.
>>
>>379445340

Almost all the info for Dragon Quest X comes from one site called Siliconera. They're the only ones who are willing to talk about it.

>>379445635

They won't release the DQ version of Theathrythm. Which is the biggest insult. If you want to get a series popular, release a game that pays homage to that series.

Also I thought Indieszero said they weren't going to make any more FF based Theathrythm games. They hinted at a Kingdom Hearts one. Guess all those DLC dollars were too good to pass up.
>>
>>379445897
It's coming out within 3, I heard.
>>
At least we're getting this.
>>
>>379441292
Why was Versus/Nomura Noctis so qt? His expressions in this gif are more interesting than his entire character in Tabata version.
>>
>>379443371
I love how big companeis still just turn to even shittier practices whenever their old shitty practices didn't work. They could just make good games again and release them globally... just a thought.
>>
>>379441292
fuck you woff was fun and has more content than most FF games
>>
File: Wha.jpg (242KB, 538x527px) Image search: [Google]
Wha.jpg
242KB, 538x527px
>>379446631
>everyone thought this was years away
>releasing early next year
>>
>>379446942
If there's one thing Nomura can do it's make trailer and direct cutscenes. Especially eye movement and emotions through simple face animations are great even in KH games. A good 3 seconds like that say more than 1000 words
>>
>>379441292

>If Dragon Quest 11 ends up being shit too
If the previous DQ games are any indication, there is a very low possibility for that. Final Fantasy has an abnormally high good to shit ratio because every game tries way too hard to change the formula. Dragon Quest on the other hand is like Mario. Keep what works while adding new stuff on top.

Even if Final Fantasy runs itself into the ground, you can count on Dragon Quest keeping its consistency. At least until Yuji Horii dies.
>>
>>379446196
Basically this. Game publishers never stopped making money with good, solid and full game releases. That never became less viable. In fact, how could it? The game market increased sizeably. No, it was game publishers' incessant increasing of monetary standards to astoundingly unreasonably heights for little to no real reason that makes game companies fear releasing good games.

Similarly Capcom has made the same mistakes with the monster hunter series. While it's sells aren't stellar in the west they FAR more than make up for the costs of importing as well as porting. They haven't made a viable console port since MH3U (and even that one was lazily done) for no good reason other than it didn't get a kagillion sales like the portable versions. Which desu, is incredibly unreasonable as an expection in the first place.
>>
File: 1481189565508.jpg (52KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1481189565508.jpg
52KB, 640x640px
>>379440827
>unfuck
lol no need to worry about those big company
it's your life that need to " unfuck "
>>
>>379440827
One of the best companies out there together with namco, no kidding, they are bold and love their artists.
>>
>>379444992
Most opinions on the series is often negative or has a "good but..." signifier.
>>379446021
Often complaints about how light the stories are in most of the series with the more open world ones not leading the player on where to go thus often gets derided for it.
>>
I'd say this has a lot to do with it.
Whales buy dozens of this shit every month at $10 each, which 100% fuels their other projects, because it sure as shit isn't going back into XIV
>>
>>379447513
But I'm doing just fine.

What the fuck was my shine?
>>
me and asshats like me are what keep SE alive... I have bought FF1 through FF10 more then once from both the physical and digital shop... and I mean that in the recent years of the companies life.... waiting for the re-release of 12 as well. I would imagine the nostalgia profit train ride has to end sometime though
>>
>>379447853
>Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy remastered
Would you?
>>
>>379448124
Not him but I would.
>>
File: XV.png (62KB, 665x320px) Image search: [Google]
XV.png
62KB, 665x320px
>>379440827

what only thing they fixed XIV

they're still only getting by with that and mobile shit

their actual games are garbage and xv is a joke

also making people wait another 3 years for KH3 and 7R is hilarious
>>
File: my FF fix.jpg (121KB, 1386x768px) Image search: [Google]
my FF fix.jpg
121KB, 1386x768px
>>379448124
I got them during the 50 percent sale in april. I have yet to play 2 or returns... i have played the first game on both consoles and its ok. Have yet to try the other two.... so.... the graphic update on a remaster of the 13 trilogy would have to make my balls ascend and then drop again to peak my interest at the moment.
>>
>>379447478

Aside from SquareEnix, Konami and SEGA were the biggest offenders of this. Even worse than Capcom. But I think the Konami debacle as gotten a lot of Japanese companies scared. it might have even led to SquareEnix reforming itself.

>Most opinions on the series is often negative or has a "good but..." signifier.

Sounds like the description of Final Fantasy as a series.

>>379448124

If it had dual audio and only cost $20, I would. I'm currently waiting for the games to be on a steam sale for $5 each.
>>
File: XV Sonic 06.jpg (1MB, 1080x2250px) Image search: [Google]
XV Sonic 06.jpg
1MB, 1080x2250px
Reminder that this is modern SquareEnix
>>
File: 1430577547738.jpg (26KB, 381x400px) Image search: [Google]
1430577547738.jpg
26KB, 381x400px
>SE
>unfucked shit
Call me when they can develop a game in under a decade
>>
File: kon_DQ.jpg (411KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
kon_DQ.jpg
411KB, 800x600px
>>379449045

>Call me when they can develop a game in under a decade
You mean all their games except the ones Nomura is in charge of?
>>
>>379448782

>Konami
Konami drove away all their talent except Kojima. Then they kept forcing Kojima to take on more and more 'revival' projects to make up for the people who left. Until Kojima had enough and left himself.

Now Square is doing the same thing to Nomura. Having him work on half a dozen different projects at once, none of which gets completed. Just food for thought.
>>
>>379449297
>You mean all their games except the ones Nomura is in charge of?
You mean the only one that was plagued by a series of circumstantial and managerial hindrances largely outside of Nomura's control?
>>
>>379449470

FFVII and KH3 is outside of his control? Also, I know you're referring to FFXV, but he was in charge of it for a long time as well.

This is a reoccurring problem. Nomura creates the base for a game, then moves on to another project leaving a new team to finish his work. This may be because Square is pressuring him to work on too much, but it's still a problem.
>>
Square Enix released a single-player AAA game unfinished, then put out a survey asking players what they should add.
Square Enix is so understaffed, they can't finish their games without moving everyone onto the same project.
Square Enix can't get a solid framerate with PS3 graphics on the PS4.
>>
>>379449624
>FFVII and KH3 is outside of his control?
Neither of these have been in development for a decade?

>but he was in charge of it for a long time as well
And it's entirely not Nomura's fault that Versus XIII was put on the backburner due to several problems such as XIV's abortion or the complete fuckery that was the development of Luminous.

Development hell is never one person's fault.
>>
Sony told them and various other publishers to wait for next gen to develop and release their games. they were knee deep in ffxv so it couldnt be salaveged but in the mean time they told them to make 3ds shit and buy some western devs for the mean time and just hang on a bit and they did, then they started releasing their vidiya again on console and they were good
>>
File: 1495703463367.png (54KB, 202x200px) Image search: [Google]
1495703463367.png
54KB, 202x200px
>post yfw Square Enix killed Deus Ex and Hitman to fund a new Life is Strange game.
>>
>>379450517
They killed their western franchises to fund FFXVI
>>
>>379450074
and people say the mandela affect isn't real.
>>
>>379440827
They know when to close shit devs like IO
>>
>>379450517
Really? That's so fucking awful.
>>
>>379450517
LiS is more profitable than those games.
>>
File: 1492525488388.png (285KB, 718x654px) Image search: [Google]
1492525488388.png
285KB, 718x654px
>>379450517
>>
>>379450517
MD sucked and the dev is keeping hitman
>>
File: 1339726546370.jpg (20KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1339726546370.jpg
20KB, 429x410px
>western AAA devs are ran by idiots
>eastern AAA devs are ran by the mafia and idiots
>>
>>379450517
Good.
I'll take LiS over any other western game published by SE.
>>
>>379450517
I dunno about the latter part of that statement, but fuck squeenix for what they did to hitman and dex.
>>
File: 1488244713612.jpg (104KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1488244713612.jpg
104KB, 400x300px
>>379441859
This infuriates me like nothing else, because it shows how much of a piece of shit SE really is since they need a whole other company to force them to release games and since Sony couldn't give a single fuck about anything that isn't some retarded interactive movie we get many games that are not brought over, I managed to play the new SaGa game and loved it, but the thing will never get localized because all money must flow into FF.

The way SE is going they are going to get completely fucked down the line by betting only on FF
>>
>>379440827
>sliced MD in half
>riddled it with microtransactions in the stupidest preorder scheme of all time
>somehow surprised after it doesn't sell well
>shelve the series to suck off the most cancerous company alive today
JUST
>>
>>379447295
Desperation makes the development time incredibly short, expect it to be riddled with bugs
>>
>>379453904
It's been in arcades for years retard
>>
File: 1485217913126.jpg (156KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1485217913126.jpg
156KB, 960x540px
>>379453310

>The way SE is going they are going to get completely fucked down the line by betting only on FF
They already instigated this policy 20 years ago. And it already did fuck them up. It was just recently that they started to move away from it. Read >>379443371

Sadly, we still won't get the dozen or so DQ games they overlooked before 2015. But there's a good chance we'll get DQXI.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.