[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DarkSouls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 8

File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53KB, 256x330px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53KB, 256x330px
Never played a single Souls game. Should I just start with number 3 or play it chronologically?
>>
Start at DS1 then 3. DS2 is kinda bland. Also 1 and 3's stories are connected.
>>
Oh and I don't own a PS4 only Xone
>>
DS1
DS3
BB

DS if you REALLY want more Souls
>>
>>379430912
DS2* I meant
>>
>>379430851
>>379430912
this.
play 1, skip 2, play 3
>>
>>379430851
>>379430912
>>379431026
Is 2 really that bad?
>>
>>379431285
The only redeeming factor of it is PVP and that's pretty much dead. You'll see if you play the other games how lethargic and chore-ish the game is as a whole.
>>
>>379431285
it's not a bad game at all, just a bad souls game
>>
>>379431406
>>379431406
Oh I got you.
>>
>>379431285
Not at all, but playing it is unneeded and Ds1 and Ds3 are vastly superior.
Yes even Ds1 is superior to Ds2.
>>
>>379431285
Just keep the second one in reserve in case you want more after DS1 and DS3.

But whatever you do, I recommend going in order and play 1 before 3.
>>
>>379430724
Don't even bother with the souls games honestly, utter repetitive trash where the same boss design gets used over and over again by lazy devs, and the whole "challenging" aspect of the games is just an illusion, they're not hard at all as the game with just throws you into 10 v 1's and blatantly unfair and broken situations.
>>
>>379433032
git gud
>>
>>379433032
>Souls game
>Hard

Pick one. Games are average at best, people now are just bad at games as a whole.
>>
>>379433032
>they're not hard at all as the game with just throws you into 10 v 1's
It literally never does that unless you're aggroing everything in sight on purpose.
>>
I can't fucking believe people are still playing this on PS3. I just made a new character two days ago. Got invaded and killed by a twink before the bell gargoyle boss, and then found players to summon for both small room double dog goat man and the gaping dragon.

Anyway, I am playing as huge armor greatshield knight because I've never played a character that can't roll before, and it's pretty hard. Anyone have any tips for playing as a fatty?
>>
>>379433486
Maybe he only played 2, because I remember shit like that happening
>>
>>379433489
block everything instead of rolling, know when it's safe to put the shield down
you'll need a shitton of stamina for that playstyle
>>
>>379433489
I don't know how people play with fatroll desu. Especially since some of the later bosses like Artorias and Kalameet punish you hard for stacking armor and poise.
>>
>>379430724
>wanting to start with the worst one
>>
>>379433489
Learn to position yourself. Blocking instead of rolling is completely viable(I actually prefer it), but in most cases both can be unnecessary if you position yourself well. Basically play defensively and wait for an opening - you should hit more rarely, but when you do, they should feel it.
>>
>>379433489
Block, Block, Block. Best tip you can possibly get.
Learn to manage your stamina, figure out when it's best to sprint around your enemy, and learn to fight without being locked on.
>>
>>379433782
>I don't know how people play with fatroll desu
It's totally doable actually, especially in DS1 where you have invincibility frames on rollan.
>>
>>379431285
More or less, yes. In any case, you can leave it as an optional game after you finish DS1.
>>
>>379433927
>>379433782
>>379433614

All right, thanks lads. It's fun playing like this in a way, you don't have to be concerned about weight and it's exciting to find the kind of ridiculously huge weapons or great shields which normally go straight in the box.
>>
Personally I recommend starting with Dark Souls 3, I had played 1 but it didn't really do it for me (its a little dated) and for some reason 3 just hooked me. Then I was able to go back and play 1 and appreciate it
>>
>>379430724
Chronologically, from DeS. Only exception is BB, save the best for last.
>>
Start with 1
Then Scholar
If you really want more play 3

3rd is the blandest by far.
>>
>>379431389
>get hit twice
>roll
>get hit midroll
>hit back two times
>he rolls
>he unleashes blue/yellow/BLACKED magic missile
>die
End yourself if you unironically believe that piece of shit game has any redeemable qualities
>>
Dumb question, is DS1 multiplayer still alive on PC?
>>
>>379431285
It has the most content and the best PVP, the best mechanics, the best story and lore, and arguably the most TECHNOLOGY of all.

The downside is that it's harder than every other. It's not for everyone, most people gets stuck in the initial area. You really need to think outside the box and push on.
>>
>>379434429
It has more players than Dark Souls 2.
>>
>>379434207
Why would it be dated, if you had never played any other souls games?
>>
>>379430724
i recently played through dark souls on pc after several half assed attempts over the years
about halfway through NG+ now and its become one of my favorite games
only community is still super active
>>
>>379434482
Lol nice bait
>>
>>379430724
Play DaS1 and BB, skip the rest
>>
File: 1491936975955.jpg (616KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491936975955.jpg
616KB, 1920x1080px
>>379434207
If you try to play DS1 after DS3 just like this anon says, you're gonna feel the weight and clunkyness for sure. I wouldn't recommend doing so.
Also, if you care a little bit about the lore which is nonexistent go for DS1 anyways.
>>
>>379430724
Start with the first.

It holds up and stands alone, it wasn't made to be a series.

I can't imagine getting much out of the world by starting with 3.
>>
>>379431285
No. Pretty much the best one in the series for making multiple characters.
>>
>>379434535
Noice, guess I'll buy it instead of pirating then.
Been thinking about getting into this series for too long, time to actually do that I suppose.
>>
>>379433580
You mean how it happens in every game
>>
>>379431285
I like the gameplay and the customization, but some of the level design and some enemies are fucking awful.
>>
>>379435467
>run through Darkroot Garden without killing anything
>stop and let all the deadly shit catch up
>die
WOOOOOOW I WAS PRESSING BUTTONS
>>
>>379434797
Thing is it's not bait, it's the undilluted truth.
>>
>>379435678
>some of the level design and some enemies
Any specifics?
>>
>>379430724
I would really reccomend that you start with Demon's Souls if you have a PS3
>>
>>379435892
There are no specifics, all the people that memespout that DaS2 is bad it's because they can't take an actually harder game. And that's a slightly harder one.

Most people do NOT change weapons in their DaS and DaS3 run, whereas DaS2 forces you to try different builds and adapt through your run for instance.

Jokes aside, DaS2 is really good on its own. Some unbelievably good scenarios and the best story. But 3rd came around and made it an action game more than an RPG and everyone flocked to that one because it's easier to mash buttons through 30 hours.
>>
>>379435892
not him but
>tower of flame
>harvest valley
>earthen peak
>iron keep
>grave of saints
>gutter
>black gulch
>shaded woods
>doors of pharros
>brightstone cave tseldora
>shrine of winter
>shrine of amana
>undead crypt
>aldias keep
>dragon aerie
>memory of vammar
>memory of orro
>memory of jeigh
all pretty terrible
>>
>>379431285
It's story is filler and adds nothing to the one DS1 and DS3 tell. The hitboxes are retarded, bosses are forgettable, the level design is retarded, and it relies way too much on gank mobs.
>>
>>379430724
DS 1 is the best game in the series by far.

3 is mostly fanservice for people who just want more.
It's not as good as the first, but still pretty good for what it is.
It's certainly still one of the best action rpgs.

2 is poopy.

Blood Borne is on par with DS, in my opinion.

Demon's Souls is definitely the clunkiest and most dated one but also the most pure and honest, if that makes any sense.
>>
>>379430724
If you have a PS3 play Demon's Souls and go from there. Otherwise skip to Dark Souls.
>>
>>379430724
Play all three. They're all pretty good.

The first is the best though
>>
>>379436450
>Every place of those is actually awesome

What the fuck man
>Shrine of Amana
I give you that place. Fuck that place. It's pretty though.
>>
>>379431285
It's bad for a multitude of reasons
>autists who like to play pretend off a few throwaway descriptions behind equipment and items believe DaS2 descriptions aren't in line with their autistic hobby
>that irish matthew fuck made a video explaining that IMPROPER ENVIRONMENTAL STORYTELLING(c) make it a bad game due to LUDONARRATIVE DISSONANCE(tm) breaking the IMMERSHUN. He also explained how difficulty is only fair and legitimate when it's easy, the moment it becomes actually, well, difficult, it's ARTIFICIAL DIFFICULTY
>speaking of which, enemy composition and design is made so you can't just aggro every enemy 1v1 to then circlestrafe it for a second and insta-kill with a backstab. You have to actually learn the combat proper by managing heavier stamina consumption, learning to disengage lock-on and whiff punish while weaving around enemies isntead of turtling all the time like a fag etc etc. This wasn't needed in the original because enemy composition fucking sucked, which makes DaS2 BAD because it totally breaks the FLOW OF IMMERSIVE DIFFICULTY (ie it's not easy as shit anymore)
>there is no hitstop and slightly reduced IASA frames so it's a literally unplayable stiff piece of garbage literally atari 2600 game tier of artificial control difficulty
>>
>>379436252
What kind of developmental illness do you have that makes DS2 hard for you?

Forces you to adapt and try different builds? They all play the same. Different magic schools are just different colored magic missiles. None of the weapons feel unique. The enemies are all just cannon fodder trash retards because it's easy to just make mob encounters than design interesting fights.

The levels are bland as fuck in addition to being nonsensical (talking about the individual level design here, not even the way they connect to eachother. Think Drangleics castle)
>>
Reminder that SOTFS is on Humble Monthly.
>>
>>379430724

Play DaS, Play DaSII and then play DaSIII if you want to.
Honestly DaSII feels a lot better as a conclusion than DaSIII does and I think DaSIII is generally a disappointment.
>>
Wait, people actually play these games for the stories? What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>379436727
>99% of all fights in DS2 consist of hitting an enemy first as it slowwalks up to you, and stunlocking it for 3-4 hits until it dies because that's the only way all the group encounters can work
>difficult
>>
>>379436252
I enjoyed DS2 for my first few runs, but soul memory ruined the replayability fir me when compared to 1 or 3. It just makes me think of any experimentation with any weapons that won't be going into my build as "a waste." not to mention that soul memory means you should never stop leveling up and eventually all characters become dumb do-everythings or have ridiculous HP or the like.

I don't get the "it's harder" meme either. Locking i-frames behind the agility stat may make it seem harder, but once you understand how it works, you're right back to easy street. If you want a really easy run, just pick up a claymore.

tl;Dr DS2 would have been a thousand times better without soul memory. I'm still mad.
>>
>>379435892
>level design
There's a point where a major door can be unlocked after defeating a boss, which leads to a mandatory portion of the game, and the only sign is a far-off easily missed light, which is towards the area you just cleared and wouldn't have a reason to pass because of the fast-travel
In this same direction, you head towards a tower with poison in it. You reach the top of the tower and ride an elevator UP, and somehow get off at castle sinking into lava.
Also, before you complete the game, you get an unexplained orb which you have to take back to the first area.
>enemies
Alonne Knights are infuriating, they do a good amount of damage and have an attack that hits on like the second or third frame. Amana Knights are also a lot like this, and are very good at stunning a player. Have fun fighting either of these enemies if you mess up aggroing one at a time, because these and many other enemies are designed to fuck your shit if more than one sees you.
The Ruin Sentinels (three large lanky armor suits that spam a nigh-undodgable spin attack) are pretty annoying and near impossible to do solo if you aren't using spells. Throne Watcher and Defender are basically the same guy twice, and they almost cannot be kited away from each other. Oh, and they revive each other too.
>>
>>379437034
The end of DS1 is a perfectly fine conclusion.

DS2 didn't add anything.
It was just a failed attempt at fanservice.

DS3 is just fanservice too but at least it was done right.
>>
>>379437229
>learning to disengage lock-on and whiff punish while weaving around enemies
Learn to play.
>>
>>379437260
On the other hand, you can do runs based solely around a build idea and lose as little souls as possible so you can completely destroy players as an invader for a specific zone. Many of the replayability steemed from that for me because of the Agape Ring.
>>
>>379437370

DaSII generally took things to their logical conclusion based on what we could infer from DaS of an endless cycle by having a narrative based around escaping said cycle. The new lore about the crowns and the kingdoms was engaging.

DaSIII was just fellation of DaS and Demon's Souls.
>>
>>379430724
SL1 run on dark souls is the most fun youll ever have in a game
>>
If you play Dark Souls 2 (Which you should, it IS a very good game. A far cry from 1 and 3, but arguably better in a lot of areas) you should play the Scholar of the First Sin version. All of the DLC + better enemy placement and design.
>>
>>379436727
>no hitstop
Huh? Hitstop as in staggering enemies when they're in attack animation?
I'm pretty sure there is, you need dem poise breaking weapons tho.
>>
>>379437602
But there was no cycle shit in DS1. That was all DS2 trying to justify it's shameless cash-in existence.
>>
>>379437034
I agree with this. I loved 1, adored 2, but was very lukewarm on 3 after being really excited for it. In every department but graphically, it felt like a step backwards.

People like it because it's closer to 1 than 2 is, but I don't really think that's a good thing. 2 brought in a lot of improvements on the formula from the first game that 3 completely disregarded because they were made by different people.

This thread is making me want to go replay 2, thanks.
>>
>>379437391
>Needing lock-on to do what I described
>Waiting for an enemy to attack first unnecessarily

No wonder you think it's hard. I bet you block, too.
>>
>>379436237
Im playing this now. I like it a lot but i still like DS1 more. The only issue that I have with DeS is the world tendency thing. The idea is cool but it relies on luck for the server to be on the color you want.
>>
>>379431285
>Asking this question on /v/
Forgive him lord, he know not what he do.
>>
>>379434482
>it's harder than every other
It's not, enemy placement is far more horrible in DaS3
>>
>>379438064

I assumed there was a cycle before DaSII came out.
It seemed to me like the Serpents were playing you to light/extinguish the fire and they'd get someone else to do it again after you, since DaS made it clear they were working together.

DaSII's story seemed a very natural follow-up to DaS for me.
>>
>>379438295
Enemy placement in DaS3 is horrible all around because DaS3 is horrible at everything

>HURR DURR I AM ENEMY I HAVE STAMINA U NO PASS I SPAM EVERYTHING WITHOUT COOLDOWNS I AM DARK SOULS 3 AND NEVER STOP SPAMMING ATTACKS I AM HARD
>>
>>379431285
as someone who played DaS2 for 500+ hours:
I don't remember shit about the game besides one or two minor things.
>>
File: 1496461912218.gif (995KB, 247x268px) Image search: [Google]
1496461912218.gif
995KB, 247x268px
>>379430724
Play DaS1 and don't play anything else. All of the others, even Bloodborne, are total shit. I'd say Demon's Souls would be worth playing, but the community is dead and build variety is minimal. Just enjoy the best game in the series and forget the others even exist.
>>
>>379438047
hitstop is when the game freezes the characters at the point of collision during an attack. It's a purely graphical effect. DaS3 has pretty heavy hitstop for comparison.
>>379438226
The hell you talking about blocking?
You don't need to rush an enemy and stunlock it to death before the rest of the squad ganks you, you can be in the middle of a pack of enemies and still win pretty effortlessy if you know how to whiff punish and weave around enemies properly (and disabling lock on helps a lot). I was the first one to condemn turtling (which obviously meant blocking) in my original post.
Btw, my two full playthroughs are with a power stance character and a sword/pyroglove one. Never used a shield in 2.
>>
>>379438523
I basically Bloodborne wit DaS gameplay and weapons, lazy design
>>
>>379431285
No, it has a interesting setting and cool story, happens to be in gameplay mechanics really simple and kinda downgraded in comparison with ds1
Play it, imagine it as a Dark Souls Spin off
>>
>>379438721
Sry, my keyboard is fucked
>>
>>379438793
>gameplay mechanics really simple and kinda downgraded in comparison with ds1
Sounds like Demons Souls for me
>>
ft10 me in ds1
>>
>>379439045

DeS can't be a downgrade if it came out first.
>>
>>379437364
>The Ruin Sentinels (three large lanky armor suits that spam a nigh-undodgable spin attack) are pretty annoying and near impossible to do solo if you aren't using spells.

I'm sorry, but you're actually bad at the game.The Ruin Sentinels are a long way from "impossible"--they're not even close to the hardest boss in DS2.

I do agree that DS2 has the worst level design,
>>
>>379430724

Demon Souls
Dark Souls
Bloodborne

Play these. They're the highlights of the series.
>>
>>379439735
Not that guy but, duh, of course they're not "impossible" otherwise nobody would have finished the game.
I do agree that that boss design is frustrating and non-fun though, you're basically put into a death pit with three guys who spam aoe swirl attacks and must manage to slowly grind their health down until they're all dead.
>>
>>379440370
>This boss is near impossible
>No, it isn't
>No duh they're not impossible

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>379430724
im playing through the series for the first time and I got all the way to the final area of DS2 and just could not push myself to even play that because I had not enjoyed a single moment of the rest of the game
>>
>>379437364

I think the problem for people who complain about DaSII's enemy placement and bosses is that they're all morons.

The Ruin Sentinels fight is about controlling the platform at the beginning. You kill the first Sentinel on the platform without falling off. Wait for the other one to jump on, hit him a bit and only jump off after two of them are on the platform with you.
For an easier time, bring something they're weak against like blunt weapons or lightning.

I think DaS1's bosses, which are largely beatable just by standing behind them, have given people some bad habits. You have to take advantage of the environment.
>>
>>379440370
>put into a death pit with three guys
You can kill the first one while still being up on that platform, you just need a 100% shield and manage your stamina.
>spin attack
Also block this shit, it hardly takes away stamina if you do but stunlocks and rapes if you don't.
>>
>>379440370

>put into a death pit with three guys
Only if you do the fight wrong.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 160x90px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 160x90px
The game is not difficult.. you just grind and win
>>
>>379440757

>you just need a 100% shield
You definitely don't. I've never used a shield in DaSII and killing the first Ruin Sentinel on the small platform has never been an issue.
It basically only uses two attacks, a slow overhead swing and a horizontal swing, both of which are very telegraphed and easy to dodge.
>>
>>379440869
>>379440757
I see that reading comprehension is top notch as usual here
>>
>>379440990
Sure, it's just easier with a shield. Especially since that platform is tiny as shit and you're liable to fall off if you fuck up rolls.
>>
>replaying Dark Souls 2
>can't hit anything more than 2 times because my attacks push the enemy away and my character doesn't inch forward
>insane amount of tracking on EVERYTHING
>get to persuer and it's essentially just a stamina management meme fight that lasts for 5 minutes
>entire fight feels like I'm sliding around in a swamp hitting a boulder
>>
>>379441104

Maybe you just can't communicate your thoughts very well in writing, if nobody can understand them.

What were you trying to say?
>>
>find new area but it's too hard
>leave and come back later and it's too easy
>>
>>379431285
the dlc is the best dark souls ever,

the rest of it is shit.
>>
>>379441264
b-b-but muh magic missile color variation! So much replayability! If you play a shit game 5 or more times it's good, right?
>>
>>379441309
That you're put into a death pit with three dudes which you have to avoid and grind around to death.
Nowhere does this statement excludes the initial platform.
>>
The only thing I truly hate about Ds2 is the magic system. Having limited slots and all instead of just mana was horrible.
>>
>>379430724
If you have a ps3 start with demons
If not just play das1,2,BB then 3
Don't listen to the memers, 2 is bad but it's still good, Bloodborne will be great after playing 2
>>
>>379441465
Eeeeeeh Sunken King is pretty good. Great level design, solid atmosphere, visually interesting with thought out vistas and perspectives, solid bosses.

It's the only DS2 anything I would consider on par with the good parts of DeS/DS1/BB.

Iron King is bad. Bad level design, bland visuals, mostly just boxy rooms stacked on top of eachother, one decent (damage sponge) boss and one nippon steel "boss." The big enemies are ok, all the cannon fodder after SK used similar enemies in much more interesting ways was pretty disgraceful.

Ivory King is just ok. The level design is pretty uninspired compared to SK, but it looked pretty so everyone fawns over it. Aava is a fine boss, Ivory King is pretty great.

None of the challenge areas or bosses are good.
>>
File: ds.png (12KB, 442x234px) Image search: [Google]
ds.png
12KB, 442x234px
Played all three for the first time earlier this year.

Dark Souls 1 was fun once I found a good way to play the game (halberd+shield/stamina). Some later parts kind of dragged and the DLC was garbage apart from the boss fights.

Dark Souls 2 had some nice environments and good designs and story bits, but neither the general gameplay nor bosses were particularly fun due to the unforgiving nature and tight windows. It took pic related to the extreme and just ended up very mechanical and tedious.

Dark Souls 3 had the smoothest and most fluid gameplay, great level design (particularly the Ringed City) and a decent variety in terms of bosses. Out of curiosity I went back to DS1 right after finishing 3 and found the sluggish, unresponsive and delayed controls nearly unplayable in comparison.
>>
do the surge
>>
>>379430724
OP, let me help
>Fire up Dark Souls after installing patch
>Find a mod so you can start with Bed of Chaos
>Learn immediately game is shit instead of wading through the git guds and holding out hope that the questions you have is not a sense of mystere, but rather a lack of lore, clunky controls, and shit level design
>Uninstall and instead play a better game like DD or Witcher 3...fuck, even vanilla Skyrim
If you are still determined to play shit, Gothic 3 is on sale I think.
>>
>>379443851
>says dark souls is garbage and instead recommends dragon's dogma
HAAH WAAW
>>
>>379444151
I said "better game". Honestly, I could have listed almost anything and it would have qualified
>>
>>379431285
It's a sad state where DS2 is actually a really good game, but it's part of a series where every game is better than it.
>>
>>379431285
It would have been ok as a spin-off. As a sequel to ds1 it´s bad.
>>
File: paypay laff.png (44KB, 710x577px) Image search: [Google]
paypay laff.png
44KB, 710x577px
>>379444482
>really good game
haha :)
>>
>>379444482
I would classify it as so close yet so far. They have all the pieces there, but the combat mechanics and encounters and bosses are so poor and not fun to play, which brings the whole thing crashing down since that's main focus of Dark Souls.

DS2 but with the mechanics of DS3 would have been a really good game.
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.