[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the appeal of this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

File: fshgga.png (768KB, 577x727px) Image search: [Google]
fshgga.png
768KB, 577x727px
What was the appeal of this game?
>>
Breathtaking vistas.
>>
isn't this essentially grand theft horse?
>>
>>379430542
>What was the appeal of one of the greatest games ever
PeeCucks everyone
>>
>>379430542
Empty boring world with nothing to do, repetitive scripted events in the world, cuck main character, and the same boring formula Rockstar has been using for 80 years. That's the appeal.
>>
>>379433115
PC lard still mad?
>>
>>379430542
Good western story. Also has one of the best dlc campaigns ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-08KZo4KXM
>>
>>379430542
It's a western.
>>
>>379430542

It was proof a western story trumps any and everything a Japanese one will do or has ever done in games.
>>
File: Dutch.png (189KB, 334x350px) Image search: [Google]
Dutch.png
189KB, 334x350px
A western game that has actually good controls and graphics, while also having a fantastic story that still gets me.

The ultimate masterpiece by Rockstar in my opinion.
>>
>>379433273
I played this game on release and loved it, fool. But the more I played, the more I realized it's just another boring piece of shit made by a piece of shit developer that's been making the same piece of shit games for like forever. Nothing can save a game with so little to do and look at in the world, not even a PC port.
>>
>>379430542
nothing. /v/ only parades it around because it's not on pc.
>>
>>379430542
Poker and Liar's Dice
>>
>>379430542
Only Yuropoors hate this game. Not all Yuropoors, but only Yuropoors.
>>
>>379433115
>>379433273
He's absolutely furious.
>>
File: rdr big boss.jpg (156KB, 1276x716px) Image search: [Google]
rdr big boss.jpg
156KB, 1276x716px
>>379433670
Imagine being this jaded.
>>
>>379433115
>empty boring world with nothing to do

you are hating or just completely retarded
>>
The online mode was basically the prototype for GTA Online, except with all of the fun from thr main game intact
>>
It's sole appeal is being one of console's single worthwhile game, apparently.
>>
>>379434047
Yeah, okay, you're right. You can ride on a horse and shoot guys and take their horses. How exciting.

>>379434024
I'm not jaded, the game just has hardly anything really going for it. It's neat at first, but the more you play the more it feels like "Oh, that's all there is isn't it?" Maybe it's just better for people that are more into westerns.
>>
>>379434102
>tfw you will never roleplay as a drunken mexican riding a donkey while killing gringos with throwing knives ever again

Only if RDR2s online is good. Doubtful though
>>
>>379433670
>I loved it but then it was a piece of shit SHITSHITSHITSHITSHIT
Are you bipolar or something?
>>
>>379433794
Not true, I love this game. I don't know what kind of monster would dislike it. Probably one of those turboweebs too far gone to reason with.
>>
>>379434285
Considering how you think riding horses is all you do in the game, it's a safe assumption that you've never touched it.
>>
>>379434285
>It's just a bunch of pressing buttons. How can anyone enjoy that?
>The more you beat the game the less there is to do! Bad game design!1!!
>>
>>379430542
Its boring as fuck. The game should never have went free roam.
>>
File: red harlow.jpg (36KB, 382x357px) Image search: [Google]
red harlow.jpg
36KB, 382x357px
>>379434285
>kill people
>steal horses
>play poker/blackjack
>do strangers missions
>kill dozens of different animals
>explore the giant map (3 main regions)
>go treasure hunting
>do challenges
>take relaxing train rides across the country
>get into showdowns with other cowboys
>hunt down outlaws (dead or alive)
>invade gang fortresses
>play the whole fucking story (which is something like 100 missions)

That's just off the top of my head (not even including all the shit you could do in multiplayer including a zombie survival co-op mode), it's clear you either never played the game or only got past the first couple of missions.
>>
>>379434409
I loved it at first before I kept playing and realized how empty the world is and how little there is to do in it. That along with the fact that it followed the regular Rockstar formula is what lead me to realize that it's a shit.

>>379434589
What else are you gonna do? Play fucking poker and five finger filet again and again? If there's something that even GTA does right, it's that it's still somewhat fun to fuck shit up, but not even that is fun in Red Dead Redemption.
>>
>>379434501
Do you happen to be Italian?
>>
>>379430542
Just watched Bone Tomahawk and wanna kill some injuns who deserve it.
>>
>>379430542
cowboys are fucking awesome. Everyone has fantasies or yearns to be a old fashioned gritty gunslinger outlaw
>>
>>379434501
Nice reading comprehension niggatron9000
>>
File: 1493400817109.jpg (12KB, 204x231px) Image search: [Google]
1493400817109.jpg
12KB, 204x231px
>>379435020
>yearns to be a old fashioned gritty gunslinger outlaw
I call the gunslingin' frontier doctor archetype.
>>
It's not on PC so no one with a brain got to critique it.
>>
It's the best cowboy game ever
>>
>>379434916
Oh wait, I thought you said all you could do was ride horses and steal horses. Now it turns out you can play cards, too. I wonder how many posts it will take for you to uncover all of the activities this game has.
>>
>>379435142
Nice knee-jerk reaction, angstlord.
>>
>>379434860
>kill people and steal their horses
Oooh, riveting gameplay.
>do minigames where the novelty is gone after one or two goes
Oh boy
>stranger missions
Which I am pretty sure I did all of, and didn't much care for in the end.
>shoot more shit
Yeah, because the story didn't have enough of that.
>explore the empty nothing map
Okay, pal.
>go treasure hunting
I did not do much of this, but I remember the maps you get being vague as fuck.
>do challenges
I also don't remember challenges being in the game.
>take relaxing train rides around the country
Or I could just go sit outside if I wanted to do nothing and look at something pretty.
>do showdowns
I remember enjoying these a bit, I will admit.
>shoot more fucking dudes or do the story where good chunk of it is already that
And this wouldn't even be a problem if the gunplay felt satisfying. Shit just felt flaccid.

>>379435705
Oh yes, sir. Please do excuse me for forgetting about the boring ass mini-games and the other mostly uninteresting shit this game had to offer.
>>
File: 1467327837714.jpg (62KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
1467327837714.jpg
62KB, 300x360px
>>379430542
bought a ps3 recently with this and a few other games i've always wanted to play.

it's a fucking amazing game. the few flaws it has are related to it being really unoptimized for PS3. blackwater town is fucking 20 FPS for fuck's sake, and resolution is lower than on 360, but PS3 has unique post processing and lighting effects that make it overall look cooler than 360 imo. despite all of that, it's one of the best looking games i've ever played, thanks to its art direction and locales and lighting. genuinely breathtaking.

protagonist is great- a rough western guy, great voice acting as well.

gameplay is great and has tons of great details- the physics are phenomenal. shooting guys is great on the default aim setting, where you keep tapping the aim button after every shot for maximum efficiency, giving the player that quickdraw revolver aiming feel. the gun shots feel super heavy, the animations are excellent, enemies stumble and have huge bullet wounds. if you shoot them off a horse, they may get their spurs stuck and hang from the saddle.

story is great and has a lot of great emotional and cinematic moments, though some characters are a bit too 'quirky rockstar wit' for my taste.

downsides:
memory limitations and bugs. i assume this is a console issue, especially ps3, where performance suffers a lot. if you lasso someone, they won't get back up even if you release them. sometimes townsfolk appear and disappear from places like poker tables. playing as jack marston is lame. the tertiary quests (collecting shit) are grindy and annoying af. can't skip skinning animations.

if you're willing to look over the problems i listed, you'll find a great looking, great playing, greatly atmospheric, well written game with plenty of content for your money's worth
>>
>>379430542
It made me realize that all open world games are boring.
>>
>>379436095
>activity description
sarcastic remark

I love your formatting, and how you try to pass this for criticism.
>>
>>379433305
>>379433339
>>379433454
These
>>
>>379436662
>but PS3 has unique post processing and lighting effects that make it overall look cooler than 360 imo
It really doesn't, they completely dropped the ball with the port.
>>
Being able to tie someone up and drag them behind your horse when they beat you at poker.
>>
its the only good western game available
>>
>>379430542
It's gta with horses.
>>
the setting
fantastic gunplay
>>
>>379433572
he ending makes me feel so empty every time I watch it. Jack winds up on the same road John didn't want his son to follow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yag41F7eCLU
>>
>>379433115
I actually liked the random events, wish there was more though.
>>
>>379437532
>What is Gun
>>
>>379438037
>good
>>
>>379430542
I love how Marston controls like a car, he can't turn 180 without u-turning and actually has an auto run button that works exactly like a GTA cars accelerate.
>>
>>379437712
idk why everyone links this song, the entire soundtrack by jose gonzales has way better songs than this just pick any one of them.
>>
>>379433454
I fucking hate how right you are. Damn.

Well but western can do shitty stories too
>>
Why is the average person who hates open world sound like a retard? Why can't they just admit they're not used to it?
>>
>>379436095
But I bet you fucking Jack off to the witcher 3 but news flash it's the same fucking thing
>>
>>379439005
Haven't played it, guy.
>>
>>379438707
It fit's the ending just about perfectly. It leaves a strong impression.
>>
>>379438778
this. the most 'linear' a game should be is like, MGS3, which is a "linear" game that allows for tons of player creativity and non-linearity. the primary reason i think an MGS movie will fail (among many others) is that, despite the games being criticized for being full of cutscenes, MGS depends on player interaction. you can't DO mgs1, mgs2, mgs3, etc without the player because the hard-hitting moments would have no impact. raiden throws away YOUR fucking name at the end of the game- he doesn't just look at the screen and go "fuck you lmao"

what i'm saying is, games need a reason to be games. there's the games that are super 'arcadey' but have no substance, and there's games that try to be 'artistic' and 'cinematic' but fall flat for not being well designed, and then there's the hybrid- well designed and with artistic merit, and that's what i want in a game.

not saying everything should be a sandbox tho- because most devs aside from rockstar can't even pull that off
>>
File: 1458185657278.gif (85KB, 450x342px) Image search: [Google]
1458185657278.gif
85KB, 450x342px
>>379436095
>empty nothing map
I'd love to see what vidya map you consider to be great, San Andreas is the only one that trumps it to me.
>>
>>379437712
I like to think Jack decided to become a bounty hunter or moved out to a big city after killing Edgar, I could see him being a Prohibition-era cop.
>>
>>379439454
>the primary reason i think an MGS movie will fail (among many others) is that, despite the games being criticized for being full of cutscenes, MGS depends on player interaction. you can't DO mgs1, mgs2, mgs3, etc without the player because the hard-hitting moments would have no impact. raiden throws away YOUR fucking name at the end of the game- he doesn't just look at the screen and go "fuck you lmao"
Exactly, it's honestly the most immersive game series out there.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.