[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

*honk honk*

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 17

File: clown.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
clown.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
*honk honk*
>>
>>379426056

How do you get in this game? Every single game i get in has everyone calling me a faggot at every chance or outright refusing to acknowledge my existence, so i just end up sitting around doing my role until everyone hops to an escape shuttle.
>>
>>379426189
be a janitor and don't put down wet floor signs, that's how to get people to acknowledge you. it's funny as well.
>>
>>379426189
Most people stick to the assistant for the first couple of rounds to learn the ropes, and then switch to a low-stress job like Cargo or Janitor to actually get the hang of the jobs. Once you feel comfortable enough with the gameplay you are probably ready to go for some of the more interesting jobs on the station like Engineering or Science.
>>
>>379426189
Primarily the game is essentially about fucking around. Just be glad the station isn't infested with random PKers like it was 7 years ago. The staff team on pretty much every server really cracked down hard on that.
>>
File: 1481926646469.jpg (492KB, 984x1312px) Image search: [Google]
1481926646469.jpg
492KB, 984x1312px
>>379426189
Sounds like you're trying to play the game to get recognition. SS13 isn't about that. You're just some guy. Literally just "some guy" aboard a station. You show up for work, do your job, shit goes back, you try to save yourself.

Make small talk with people around you in your department maybe, help out people in other departments supplying shit they need or doing favors for them.

In an SS13 round 9 times out of 10 you're a background or side character in someone else's storyline.

Also
>making an SS13 thread on /v/
>>
>>379426816
science was too much effort for me to bother with

I liked engineering and the AI role though and went janitor when I just wanted to make people suffer a little without maiming them

chef was comfy too
>>
>>379426946
>/vg/ is an admin circlejerk
>d20 is cold and dead

Feels bad man.
>>
>>379426372
>>379426816
>>379426890
>>379426946

Alright, thanks. I'll give it another try later on, just need to get used to the controls.
>>
>>379426946
bad*.

>>379426816
Like this guy says but I'd say go straight for Cargo or Janitor. The problem with Assistant is it has no real responsibilities or point other than to "fuck around", which has lead experienced players to picking Assistant so they can slip under the radar to get up to no good. This is called "Greytiding".

Because of this, people generally see an assistant and think he's gunna just start breaking into places, stealing shit, punching people and generally start shit. It's not a good newbie role because it has no real objectives, so as a new player you'll get basically treated like shit, get bored cuz you don't know what to do then just log off.

Go Cargotech, Janitor, Chef, Botanist or Bartender.
>>
>>379427091
Engineering is too risky, one slip and you end up blowing up the entire station and getting banned.

I liked medical more. It's simple once you understand it, you just have to do a lot of it, quickly.
>>
File: 4378955.png (48KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
4378955.png
48KB, 200x200px
How did this game even get extremely popular in the first place? Especially with lack of advertising, I thought the internet hated BYOND.
>>
>>379427323
>extremely popular
It isn't. It just has a cult following of people who like playing what is essentially a mix of mafia but with fun toys and an autism simulator. The fact that the game is only on Byond is one of its greatest flaws as well.
>>
>>379427135
The controls take a bit of getting used to. If you want to use or interact with something kind of think of how you'd use it in real life.

Example: Opening a box
>put box in one hand
>select other hand
>use other hand on the box
>it opens

There are a lot of shortcuts that'll save you right-clicking (which is laggy) too. Shift-click, Alt-click, Ctrl-Click, Click & drag too. Clicking and dragging your PDA onto yourself opens the PDA, clicking and dragging a box/bag/container onto yourself opens it etc.

This is why jobs like Cargotech, Janitor, Bartender etc are good for new players, they're low demand, low responsibility jobs that'll teach you everything you need to know about interacting with objects/players and you'll get a chance to see the basic parts of the station while doing it.
>>
>>379427252
>one slip and you end up blowing up the entire station

How much of a retard do you even have to be to screw up setting up a containment field for a Singulo or get a Supermatter Crystal running?
>>
>>379427534
Cargotech is for newbies. Assistant is only for the most grizzled of veterans.
>>
>>379427454
>The fact that the game is only on Byond is one of its greatest flaws as well.

Pretty much this. Once some assmad player rips the idea and makes an SS13 """inspired""" clone on a professional engine then ships it off to Steam, the population will shift dramatically.
>>
>>379427185
To add to this, suggestion, don't ever go clown or mime when learning to play. While they don't have any real duties, they also have a reputation similar to the assistant in that they are both seen as shitbag licenses on most servers, since their only real job is to "keep up the morale" which doesn't actually equal to doing anything productive.
>>
>>379427454
>Byond

What game is it?
>>
>>379427132
/vg/: Best code, worst community
I miss New Eden. It had the best of both worlds for a while.
>>
>>379427252
Eh, I only really liked robotics in the medical area.
>>
>>379427590
I AM NOT A CLEVER MAN
>>
>>379427809
There have been multiple attempts to make the game again on a more accesible and better running system and even attempts to recreate the game in a 3d first person format but most people give up because the game is quite complex and so many servers have developed tonnes of their own little coding quirks that even if a version of the game did pop up on a none retarded engine most people would probably stay in their own little club houses until their admins made the effort to move all their stuff to an entirely new engine. Which would be a massive pain in the ass.
>>
i come back to ss13 every year and then it takes me a couple hours to be harassed by some faggotlord admin.
>>
File: valids.png (167KB, 662x648px) Image search: [Google]
valids.png
167KB, 662x648px
>>379427829
This. Clown (and mime) is probably one of the hardest jobs on the station. A good clown can make the difference between a round being shit or a round being amazing. You need to be robust, know everything you can about the map and parts of the station you can exploit, be creative for gimmicks & pranks. People will often automatically hate you just for having selected the job.

LIST OF JOBS YOU DON'T PICK AS A NEWBIE
>clown
>mime
>anything in Security department
>anything in Science
>anything in Engineering
>Miner
>Chaplain
>AI, Cyborg or MoMMI

>>379428129
>>379427132
>le /vg/station has bad community meme
Try not playing in Highpop for once. Lowpop vg is comfy as fuck.
>>
>>379428331
clown is just a less helpful janitor
>>
>>379427829
>>379428247
Daily reminder that Dean "Rocket" Hall is making his own shitty SS13 remake and like all of his games he'll spend 4 years to get it 10% done before selling it for $40 on steam and abandoning it.
>>
>>379428449
nah, he already dropped it.
>>
>>379428423
No it isn't, clown's job is to make the round interesting, fun and funny. I bet whenever you tried playing it you just sat in the bar telling knock knock jokes, was a clown captain or just tried clown-tiding everywhere.

>>379428580
>Rocket's gone from not finishing games to just giving up on them before starting
haha, rekt.
>>
>>379428580
Good. I'm not militantly opposed to a better quality SS13 not dependent on BYOND of all things as the platform of choice, but Dean Hall being in charge of a project like that really just makes me want to prefer playing the real deal instead. The fucker's a fraud.
>>
>>379428774
it's the janitor's job to make a round interesting and funny in addition to actually having an actual job
>>
Don't ever talk about ss13 on /v/, we get an influx of retards and it's terrible
>>
>>379427091
I liked playing botanist and hanging out with the chef giving them food.
>>
File: 1481120629312.jpg (50KB, 295x302px) Image search: [Google]
1481120629312.jpg
50KB, 295x302px
>>379428859
>DELET THIS

>>379428916
what? no. Janitor cleans the station and can also be very robust. The fuck kind of weird alternate universe do you play on?
>>
space station 13 can not work in a first person view
>>
>>379429045
>first time playing ss13
>join as chef
>kind of figure out the controls but have a hard time with some of the reactions
>half of my food comes out as burned mess
>serve the burned mess on the counter anyway along with apples the botanist gave me
>people rioting at the counter, demanding real food
>I tell them that they're all fat cunts that need to lose weight, hence the apples
>they lose their shit
>I tell them there's been budget cutbacks on the station and close the shutters
>change uniform and derp around the station rest of the shift
>die on the shuttle
>>
>>379429184
this. perfect ss13 would be the byond code with no lag.
>>
File: the_gates.png (43KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
the_gates.png
43KB, 600x300px
>Not playing Lifeweb
Its different, but the amount of work put into it by 1 sadistic russian in amazing.
>>
>still no modern release of ss13 on a modern engine

WHAT

THE

FUCK
>>
File: 1495819966047.jpg (25KB, 517x410px) Image search: [Google]
1495819966047.jpg
25KB, 517x410px
>>379428859
Cool I'll come on right away!
>>
File: YOULLGYMZASFILTER.jpg (152KB, 500x560px) Image search: [Google]
YOULLGYMZASFILTER.jpg
152KB, 500x560px
>>379429476
No one would play it anyway.
Each server has so much personal code put into it no one would want to start from scratch again.
>>
>>379429476
Most coders interested in SS13 are either hobby coders who, while faithful to the game's design, are idiots who don't know what they're doing, or people like Dean Hall, who want to "reimagine" and "take inspiration from" SS13, IE completely rip it off and make it 3D first person bullshit.
Every remake has failed because the people who do remakes always try and change something about the Spess formula instead of trying to make a pure honest to god port.
The best "remake" I've seen so far was fucking Doomstation, and that's dead now too.
>>
>>379429073
the janitor has to act as the true neutral party, slipping friend and foe alike on his kingdom of wet floors and must be swift enough to evade the shitty grey tide when someone gets butthurt about not paying attention to the wet floor signs
>>
>>379429953
Yea you just have this weird idea in your head then. You can't even use the mop as a janitor anymore on most non-Heavy RP servers or you get instantly lynched at the worst, or just arrested by sec at the least.

Even on 4chan threads most people lose their autistic shit if you don't just use janicart, soap or a spray bottle instead.
>>
File: good.png (1MB, 1412x712px) Image search: [Google]
good.png
1MB, 1412x712px
>Be me
>Early 20s
>Just got back from six month internship in the city
>Moved back home, looking for a job
>Decide I won't start dating again until I get a job and move out because I don't think I pull off being Costanza well
>Play SS13
>Medium-high RP server
>Girl starts flirting with me
>Figure it's a one time deal
>Every round we're both on she finds me and we chat
>She added me on steam, she's like 30 and actually a grill
>Pretty nice person, we chat a bunch and still RP in SS13

I don't care how sad it is, this is nice
>>
>>379430239
Why don't you talk on the phone
>>
>>379430239
Fuck off Sh*ggy
>>
>>379428331
>playing lowpop ever
Why would I willingly bore myself?
>>
File: 624234245345.jpg (17KB, 469x480px) Image search: [Google]
624234245345.jpg
17KB, 469x480px
>tfw remake never
>>
File: Welcome.png (22KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
Welcome.png
22KB, 600x500px
>>379430427
FUCK OFF
A REMAKE OF WHAT?
OF WHAT SERVER?
OF WHAT CODE? GOON OR BAY?
>>
>>>/vg/179091947
>>
>>379430332
Just seems like a pretty casual steam friends thing, just started talking out of game like a week ago.
>>
>>379430628
A remake of /vg/station. It has the best code, after all.
>>
>>379430103
I played on goonstation where janitor fuckery is/was entirely accepted as long as you put down wet floor signs
>>
>>379430103
Just put the WET FLOOR signs up. People forget to switch to run a lot.
>>
What happened to lifeweb? Stopped playing it and ss13 a while ago but recently i've felt like picking them up again
>>
>>379430628
A remake of the fucking basics on something that isn't Byond so people can start branching from that. Any code branch will do fine, but any remake that sets out to be a 1:1 remake of an existing branch is doomed to fail because the retards at the helm haven't understood that the current code branches are the result of the work of dozens of people over several years. A remake should aim at being a bare-minimum platform content-wise, just the basic departments and traitor mode is enough.
>>
Free Kingston
>>
File: smug.png (117KB, 372x351px) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
117KB, 372x351px
>>379430742
>>379430795
>Anon points to the wet floor sign
>>
>>379430427
>>379430628
>>379430731
>>379430869
There Unitystation 13 which is a remake in 2D on Unity, which is going ahead at a good speed and has been for a while now. Then there's Centration which has sprung back from the dead, and is a first person spiritual sequel in UE4.

Wouldn't exactly say we're saved from Byond but at least it's a better outlook than 1 year ago.
>>
>>379430889
No
>>
>>379430742
>>379430795
>>379431013
>clown steals wet floor sign
>janitor gets lynched
>>
>>379430865
Russian took it down because he moved.

Shame its near impossible to play it. It sounds interesting but I have no idea what to do to get in, iirc it costed money and he's not giving out the source code so no other servers can be made.

>>379427185
You need multiple people to greytide.
>>
>>379431289
>not having multiple signs
>>
>>379431434
That's a shame then, I only played a few rounds of it but building an outpost and lighting it up to protect from the spooky beasts that lived in the shadows was super cool.
>>
>>379431616
It should be back up now iirc.

How do you even get on it?
>>
>>379431705
Last time i played it you just waited until the guy brought the server up
>>
>>379431542
>implying I won't steal them all
>implying I won't break into the janitorial closet to steal all the signs (and everything else)
>implying I won't chuck them all out of the airlock
>implying you will get that janitorial supply crate back to your closet safely when I'm around

Fucking with the janitor is probably the lowest hanging fruit as a clown, but boy is it fun.
>>
>atmospherics put open canisters of chemicals everywhere.
>botanist craft drugs.
>cook puts psychedelic drugs on food.
>security beat anyone they see.
>bartender same as cook.
>roboticist/cyborg steals metal from other jobs.
>engineers don't know how to turn up the power and solars.
>>
>>379432240
>engineers wire the power straight into the grid bypassing the SMES
>that's me
>>
/v/ here again... I just got banned for IC in OOC? What's that??
>>
>>379431841
you know what's better? slipping the clown, taking off their shows and then mass driving them out the station
>>
>>379432598

This. People think the clown exists to bully us for his pleasure? Wrong, honkfag. Prepare to get beat unconscious and welded inside a locker.
>>
>>379432474
ICKY OCKY BANNU
>>
>>379432474
I know you're joking, but hey just for the sake of teaching some outsiders reading the thread

IC in OOC means when you post about a round somewhere outside of the round (like for instance, posting in a 4chan thread about a live game to say you're in the bar). This is banned because people might learn information about their kill target or find out who the antagonist is based on reading 4chan or something.
>>
Random act of robust
>Was playing traitor on /tg/station
>Don't remember exactly what I was doing
>Walk down the hall from the engine room
>Someone runs up to me and somehow turns me into a clown
>Get arrested and interrogated by the detective because he was looking for a clown
>Break my confines
>Somehow disarm him
>Glass him with bottle of whiskey
>Faggot was smoking so he caught fire
>Beat him to death
>Take his gun and leave
>Later die because clowns can't shoot straight
>>
File: 52534536322.jpg (50KB, 492x493px) Image search: [Google]
52534536322.jpg
50KB, 492x493px
>>379432598
>>379432774
>implying I'm not already typing an ahelp by the time I've hit the ground
>>
>>379432774
I rather let a clown live without his shoes. It's like a wizard round when you manage to disarm him.
>>
ss13 is dead. Everyone is a power-gaming valid hunting autist with every facet of the game memorized.

I havent seen a good antag gimmick in forever, it's always the same bomb/plasma flood/subversion stuff.
>>
>>379429328
Is the link through Reddit that shows up on Google legit? Or do you really have to pay someone on the Discord some shekels?
>>
Most exciting round I had

>start round as Changeling
>get nervous, never been a changeling before
>talk through telepathy to find out what the other lings are up to
>start fucking around, dragging people into maint and succing them
>eventually word gets around that there are lings about
>sec finally catches me succing the chaplain
>they beat me to death and drag me to interrogation and bucklecuff me to a chair
>wait a while
>eventually most of them get bored waiting for me to revive and leave the room
>warden stays
>suddenly another ling blows something up in science
>warden leaves the room for a second
>regenerate immediately and turn into a monkey to escape the cuff
>find the nearest vent and scramble into it
>end up in the pitch-dark chapel and turn back into a human
>find dead chaplain, make myself look like him and wear his clothes
>finish the round under his identity

Felt that was a pretty good first ling round. Wonder what the Warden thought when he came back to an empty chair.
>>
>>379433154
Supposedly if your account was made after December 2015 you have to pay 15$ and 15$ to get unbanned.
>>
>>379433540
>First round as changeling
>Get an early succ from a rando sec
>Watch the other two changelings get cornered immediately and killed
>Spend most of the rest of the round lurking the hallways, stinging people and pretending to take them to medbay while I actually drag them into a maintenance tunnel and give them the succ
>Kill about 12 people like this, all the corpses piled up in one tunnel nobody was using
>About 25 minutes in, on another hunting trip, suddenly hear two people freaking out over comms about the massive pile of bodies I left in maintenance
>Accidentally get found out by leaving my regen on since I didn't know it gave me away due to first time playing ling, don't have enough DNA left over to fight off the cyborgs and remaining sec guards from having regen on for ages
I left that shit like Aliens
>>
I want to get back into SS13 but don't want to have to learn a whole new station layout for like the fifth time.

I miss donut so much.
>>
File: knee slapper.gif (95KB, 279x200px) Image search: [Google]
knee slapper.gif
95KB, 279x200px
>>379433797
Wow. Any reason why? (Also, meh, HellMOO got me covered for my brutal combat and child fiddle diddle fix.)
>>
>>379434076
Randy(creator/owner) is pretty much super assblasted about new people.
>Doesn't give out the source code
>Account age limit
>Eventually asks /r/ss13 to ban mentioning LW, considering it secret content (the sub has a rule against revealing secret content like some GoonChem recipes)
>>
how the fuck do i get this game to work?
every time i try to connect to a server it gives me a black screen then closes.
can someone explain to me what im doing wrong ?
>>
File: bagel thumbnail.png (338KB, 683x464px) Image search: [Google]
bagel thumbnail.png
338KB, 683x464px
>>379433936
it was remade on /vg/ recently
>>
>>379434483
You have to wait for everything to download when joining a new server, also sometimes connecting fails
>>
File: fuckface.png (52KB, 233x200px) Image search: [Google]
fuckface.png
52KB, 233x200px
>>379432434
>hack attire vendor
>get instahusked from roughly 2.7 gorrilian burn damage
>>
>>379434449
Thanks for answering. Guess I missed out on that window of opportunity.
>>
Any opinions on the CM server?
>>
You made me open the game
>>
File: satanic salamander.png (38KB, 163x224px) Image search: [Google]
satanic salamander.png
38KB, 163x224px
>>379432434
>rogue AI
>ask my borg to wire the engine straight into the power grid
>mfw I begin shocking doors
>>
The only time I've played this game I was kidnapped by a clown and tied to a chair. He forced me listen to his jokes. I broke out and beat the fuck out of him, but then a cop rolled in and arrested me for assault.
Then at the police station I was injected with something that turned me into a clown as a sort of "karmic justice," and for the rest of the round me and the other clown just strolled around as a comedy duo.

Good shit.
>>
Remember when that one guy held the goon code hostage? That was the most hilarious thing to ever happen in the history of SS13
>>
>>379434569
ok i let it download then tried joining.
it says connecting then the window closes
>>
>>379432434
>do it every round cause nobody ever gives a fuck since only shitters hack doors sans gloves anyways
>>
>>379426189
Play as station engineer and build things autistic ally until you get a feel for the game controls. Alternatively learn how hacking door wires works, break into people's offices and steal their shit
>>
>>379434449
In all fairness reddit and generals dedicated to servers bring in the worst kind of people
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.