[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Final Levels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12

File: 227780_20170607192340_1.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
227780_20170607192340_1.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
What is your favorite final level in a game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQMCAdMadMY
>>
File: max payne.jpg (70KB, 776x476px) Image search: [Google]
max payne.jpg
70KB, 776x476px
>>
>>379411978
That was my least favourite level.
It gets too high-tech, if that makes sense
>>
>>379410969

Fuck you now I wanna play Serious Sam again. That level truly is amazing, especially with the soundtrack and the meteor rain in the large open field.
>>
>>379412386

You forgot something

>Coop with friends
>>
>>379411978
I liked the illuminati mansion or whatever better because of the music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so3TUeGwMHs
>>
>>379410969
Champion's Road
>>
I really really loved the final levels of Bastion and Braid.
They are both very similar in a way: using a simple and elegant narrative device to reveal a "twist" that is not forced or needless and it's generally quite charming.

Shame Braid had to fuck it up by THE most needless, annoying, pretentious epilogue of all time.
>>
>>379410969

Hell in painkiller was pretty surreal to play through. Or purgatory. Whatever the shit it was.
>>
>>379410969
Ah damn man probably one of the best co op games there is the amount of hilarity that ensues from this game is just amazing.
>>
>>379410969
Fighting Shin Akuma as Devil form Kazuya in Tekken 7, and pushing his shit in.
>>
File: Transistor_red.jpg (226KB, 1911x1043px) Image search: [Google]
Transistor_red.jpg
226KB, 1911x1043px
>>379412752
Good examples. Bastion having that final section is fantastic. Related I also really liked Transistor. Had a good build-up to the last guy, he was well written and sympathetic, and that final boss.
>Who gets to go first?
>How about...me?
>>
File: 1449874211951.jpg (182KB, 714x1011px) Image search: [Google]
1449874211951.jpg
182KB, 714x1011px
Zero
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
casting my vote for The Maw. The warthog chase at the end of Halo 3 was a nice callback

>>379413024
Painkiller is like my GOTYAY but I thought that game has really weak climaxes. I hated all the bosses and hell but the in-between levels were perfection. I'm glad someone found it fun
>>
>>379412524

Yeah that's the best part, it's been quite a few years at this point but used to play through it with friends at least once a year.
>>
Not sure what my favorite is, but I'm going to cross contaminate threads and say that Metal Slug 3 has a pretty primo ending level.
>>
>>379410969

Is that ending from second encounter?
>>
>>379413596

I briefly started up the expansion with the house full of chirrin, shit was so good, don't remember why I stopped. I guess after a while it all got a bit too mindless, but god damn that pnuematic stake gun gave me the biggest erection. Shit, cutting down ninjas with the shuriken gun felts fuckall amazing too.
>>
>>379413024
God you just reminded me of that... Yeah, that was really cool. And really weird considering the rest of Painkiller - as fun as it was - rarely had any strong atmosphere or imagery. But damn the final level was surreal and kinda beautiful.

>>379413274
I haven't played Transistor to the end. It honestly really disappointed me and I stopped playing after a few hours. I promised myself to give it another chance, but I never got around to it.

>>379413596
>Painkiller is like my GOTYAY but I thought that game has really weak climaxes.
The first boss is kinda cool. And while the final boss was weak as an enemy, the frozen battlefield landscape was absolutely great as a level theme.

While we are at final confrontations: not sure if it counts as the best level, but I thought the climax of Cryostasis was absolutely awesome, especially when you finally realized what the fuck is the final battle about and that gave you a clue as to how to actually win it. And what followed in the epilogue... an absolutely batshit crazy and clever and amazing ending. Rest of the game was kinda garbage, but that shit was worth it.
>>
>>379414183
It's the start of the field area.
>>
File: SOLG_-Schroeter-.jpg (143KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
SOLG_-Schroeter-.jpg
143KB, 1280x720px
cum historia
>>
>>379414210
Shuriken gun was easily the least satisfying weapon in that game. I know that it became a meme thanks to that (really funny) Yatzee review, but that gun was ass. The only weapon in the entire game I did NOT have fun using, both mods.

I think the expansion (well, the first expansion, that is) had a REALLY downhill quality of levels: like the first few were really good, but then it got pretty terrible.
The rest of the expansions and "sequels" were without an exception unplayable level of bad.
>>
>>379414439
>both mods

it had three
>>
freelancer had some pretty rad levels at the end
>>
>>379414671
Wait, what? The weapon had three fire modes? Did I miss something?
>>
>>379414223
>I haven't played Transistor to the end
I'm guessing the combat stopped you from completiting it. For me it took until half-way through for the whole halfway turn-base, attack management thing to click. I kept forcing my way through because I really liked the world they created and the characters. Also the god tier music.
I'd say give it another go. Look up some more OP combos just to help the combat click. Afterwards you can experiment a bit more.
>>
>>379415001
Holding down the lightning key and pressing the shuriken key releases a stationary trap that shocks all enemies nearby.
>>
>>379414439

Oh for sure, it wasn't a terribly effective weapon, but it was a sexy gun that shot shurikens and lightning at things. I mean, I'll use the worst weapon available in a game as long as it does cool shit.
>>
>>379415058
>I'm guessing the combat stopped you from completiting it.
The combat itself was not really clicking for me because it felt like the planning stage A) broke the pacing a bit and B) felt like it was too easy to screw up because the enemy would move unpredictably before the plan was finished and C) felt like there were very rarely oportunities to really kill everyone cleanly.
But that was not my biggest issue.

My biggest issue, the I thing I remember annoyed me to NO END was that "disabling attacks on damage" thing that it did. That was just frustrating and not fun. Every time I "died", instead of letting me do the encounter again and better, it would randomly take away one of my toys and say "Here, you have to do it again but this time with even less options!"
That was just infuriating. Just kill me, let me restart, do better. Don't fucking make the game more BORING as a punishment.

>>379415295
Fuck me! I finished the game at least four times and I never fucking discovered that. I suppose I should feel ashamed now.

>>379415324
For me, it's the "Prey weapon problem": I don't care how cool it looks, if it's not satisfying to shoot, it's a shit gun. And that weapon in particular reminded me of Prey a lot.
>>
>>379415590
>disabling attacks on damage
Yeah, I won't defend that, that was utter bullshit. Don't know why they decided to make that.
>>
>>379415590
>Fuck me! I finished the game at least four times and I never fucking discovered that. I suppose I should feel ashamed now.

Don't worry, there are a lot of things I didn't even know about the game until recently like how you could repeatedly shoot corpses with the Painkiller projectile and after a while gems would come out of them that IIRC are worth 10-30 coins.

That love for "hidden" mechanics also creeped over into Flying Wild Hog games since that studio is made up of the former design staff of PCF.
In Hard Reset the bulletspongy feeling of the enemies came from the fact that enemies also had shields like you but you'd only realise this when you aim with the smartgun at them, in Shadow Warrior 2013 you could regain a small bit of health by wiping the blood off your katana with the amount depending on how much is on the blade and so on.
>>
>>379416562
Explains a lot. And then you have Shadow Warrior 2, an absolute clusterfuck of actually really kinda neat mechanics that 90% of the players did not figure out because the game drowns you in awful menus, misleading stats and absolutely zero explanation.
>>
>>379415793
>Don't know why they decided to make that.
I suppose they wanted to avoid repetition (which there was already quite a lot of with the lack of enemy and environmental variety) and also wanted to push player away from using one strategy over and over. I think it's a "get out of your comfort zone" ambition. The game was a lot about creating huge amounts of various possible combinations and that was really damn neat on paper - but it really did not work well, especially because it had a tendency to snowball: once you lost your powerful and favorite toys, you were more likely to fuck up again and again, in the end being forced to solve the encounters in the most bland and boring basic way imaginable.
>>
This thread had me thinking for a while and I couldn't really answer the question but then I remembered this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=synBp17IGfo

Yeah you have to go back several times to change the pal key but the moment you enter the warehouse and see REX, and this fucking epic starts playing it's a catharsis of the entire game. You know you'll somehow have to fight that thing and it's so big you climb around it and it is an entire level in itself.
>>
>>379413024
I liked their portrayal of Hell, although the "war is hell" thing is too generic by now
>>
>>
File: 1459199199032.png (1MB, 1000x850px) Image search: [Google]
1459199199032.png
1MB, 1000x850px
>>379413462
>>379414394
MUTAT VALDE RAZGRIZ
>>
>>379417568
I thought it was more about the surreal nature of the things frozen in time than the war itself. It impressed me.
Painkiller had some cool levels, but with the exception of two (The Asylum and the plague ridden city) it usually had no atmosphere, as there was no connectivity between the locations and they were largely just huge barely-concealed arenas. If you add the god-awful "story" - I enjoyed the game immensely, but it never felt immersive or atmospheric to me. The last level howerver... I don't know. It felt strange and really conveyed the feeling of being a unique situation.

I was recently reminded me of all of this with Shadow Warrior 2, which I did not realize up until somebody mentioned it in this thread, was made by some of the same folks.
Similar inconsistency and lack of overarching atmosphere through out the game. Hell, I really never realized this, but the two have MUCH in common. It might be why I ended up loving both.
>>
>>379410969
my ultra nigger
this game was my childhood
>>
File: Vergil_3_Final.gif (43KB, 381x481px) Image search: [Google]
Vergil_3_Final.gif
43KB, 381x481px
>>
>>379414882
A fucken dyson sphere full of transluscent alien ships and shit. Hell yeah it was rad.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
>>
File: StarLancer.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
StarLancer.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
I miss you
>>
File: DMC3_18.jpg (23KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
DMC3_18.jpg
23KB, 400x225px
>>379420519
close enough
hell in DMC3 is final lever-kino
>>
>>379421038
This game was hugely underrated. And as much as Freelancer was cool at times, it was not the Starlancer sequel I wanted.
>>
>>379410969
Halo 1
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.