[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there no games with nicely done choices and consequences?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1424141249125.jpg (1MB, 2327x2980px) Image search: [Google]
1424141249125.jpg
1MB, 2327x2980px
Why are there no games with nicely done choices and consequences?
>>
Because those are one of the hardest video games to make.
>>
>>379409660

Your troll thread will fail.
>>
>>379409938
This. The more choices you make and the more consequences you have, the more scenarios you'd have to program and the more combinations you'd need to take into account.
Unless you only have a few choices like that in the game, it'd take ages to make the game, if it's even feasible.
>>
>>379410089
I actually want to play games like this, it's a thinly veiled recommendation thread desu
>>
>>379409660
Fallout: New Vegas probably has the most C&C of all the Fallout games.
>>
>>379410670
Also Alpha Protocol, since we're on Obsidian.
>>
Witcher 1
>>
>>379410993
seconding this. Alpha Protocol did consequences right. So did Witcher 1
>>
>>379409660
it's extremely expensive and complicated and there is not enough consumer demand to excuse such an investment.
>>
>>379410248
You could have them procedurally generated. I mean, yeah, sure, I guess every roguelike is technically already a game where every choice can have far-reaching and unexpected consequences. But for something a bit more narrative than that, look at something like Crusader Kings II, with events triggered by certain circumstances which can affect your character's traits and shit.

An alternative solution could be to scale down. If you have one quest instead of 100 you can instead have 100 ways to do the quest.
>>
>>379409660

Because video game development has become prohibitively expensive (unless you want to get laughed off the market, or you're doing some faux-retro indie text adventure, or both) and it's hard to explain to the suits and shareholders that you are using their money on redundant content that nobody will see in its entirety.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.