[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In hindsight, is it really a good idea to port a ton of games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 10

File: pokkentournament-740x411.jpg (59KB, 740x411px) Image search: [Google]
pokkentournament-740x411.jpg
59KB, 740x411px
In hindsight, is it really a good idea to port a ton of games that all failed to help sell the Wii U? Why would people buy a Switch for these games when they didn't buy a Wii U for them?
>>
>>379408460
Given these later life WiiU games are filling out the Switch lineup in their first year, I'm cool with it. Never bought a WiiU but was interested in Pokken, heard the online is pretty good.

If 2019 comes around and we're getting stuff like Super Mario 3D World Deluxe, I'd be pretty concerned.
>>
File: OoQxjOa.jpg (50KB, 456x457px) Image search: [Google]
OoQxjOa.jpg
50KB, 456x457px
Switch wasn't DOA like the WiiU and has a chance of selling to an audience that didn't fall for the WiiU meme. There's also a couple of WiiU games that deserve a 2nd chance at life, ie Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors etc
>>
>>379408460
>
You gotta remember man, the WiiU went I think 9 months on the back of NSMBU and Pikmin 3. MK8D and Arms alone are much better than anything in the WiiU launch year.
>>
I think they just want to fill the Switch with "great" games the first year which most people didn't get to play because they skipped on the system.

They just need to stop releasing them full priced, $40 at best.
>>
File: 1477673881263.gif (932KB, 253x197px) Image search: [Google]
1477673881263.gif
932KB, 253x197px
>PS4 gets a bunch of last gen ports
>LOL SONYFAGS AND THEIR PORT MACHINES WHY BUY A PS4
>Switch gets a bunch of last gen ports
>Based Nintendo!
I don't have a PS4, just pointing out the amusing double standards.
>>
The biggest criticism that most people have about Nintendo, is that they typically make great games, but don't have enough games to sell a console for. AT the very least they will have two consoles of first party games for people that skipped the wii u
>>
>>379408460
But the games they ported all sold well. So shit argument.

Besides, Pokken Arcade had content not in the WiiU version so adding it and some more content in a new version on the new system makes sense.
>>
>>379408931
>Pikmin 3
Also it's worth remembering that Pikmin 3 was released literally unfinished. They had to patch in the original control scheme, as well as time attack missions and shit.
>>
Im glad Pokken got a port

its a great game that deserves more attention and since more people seem interested in the switch than the Wii U, thisll give it a better chance
>>
>>379408985
To be fair no one played those Nintendo exclusives.
>>
>>379408985
It's quite literally the exact same response you fucking delusional retarded fucking dumb cunt.

Imagine being such a fucking dumb cunt fanboy you literally bend reality to the point you somehow block out posts that don't fit your argument
>>
>>379408985
Last of Us, God of War III, etc weren't released on a full $60 price tag boyo.
>>
>>379408460
Nintendo wants to avoid the massive droughts the Wii U would experience. Ports are a good way around that while they work on system sellers like Splatoon 2 or Mario Odyssey.
>>
File: IMG_2964.jpg (53KB, 517x630px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2964.jpg
53KB, 517x630px
I didn't buy a Wii U cause I didn't like the game pad/I mainly play handhelds so I missed out on all the standard Nintendo games that I like (Zelda, kart, smash).

The switch was the best of both worlds for me (console quality on a handheld) so I'm making out like a bandit with all these upgraded ports.

The way I see gaming is "if you don't like it then don't buy it"
I didn't support what they were doing with the Wii U and I was rewarded for it
>>
>>379408985
Pretty sure everyone is calling out Nintendo on it though. Splatoon 2 barely passes as a sequel, or at least what everyone hoped the sequel would be like.

Tbh I don't exactly mind if we get 2-3 Wii U ports a year, but as someone who did buy most of them on the Wii U, I want a good discount.
>>
>>379408985
I dunno, if we're still dealing with this in the consoles 4th year like the PS4 did, maybe it'd be applicable. Right now, the only Nintendo published port on the system is Mario Kart.
>>
Bayonetta 2 port when?
>>
>>379408460
Because people want these games but didnt want a Wii U.

Having said that, yeah, I do think its mistake to port everything from Wii U. Except for Wonderful 101. That game needs all the love possible.
>>
>>379409235
>Last of Us, God of War III
Yeah they were, though. I remember a bit of a backlash when GoW3 was £45 here and it was found to not be a HD collection, or how TLoU was released a year after the PS3 release at £40.

They definitely weren't budget releases, that's for sure
>>
>>379408460
It's cheap and easy to do.
>>
File: 1496775363354.png (88KB, 177x239px) Image search: [Google]
1496775363354.png
88KB, 177x239px
>>379409261
this
>>
>ALL THESE WiiU PORTS!
>Literally just Mario Kart and Pokken so far

Ya seethin'?
>>
>>379408460
Given the Wii U sold like shit these games are practically new to most Switch owners.
>>
Smash 4 port when?
>>
File: Are You Not Entertained.gif (325KB, 370x330px) Image search: [Google]
Are You Not Entertained.gif
325KB, 370x330px
>>379408985
>PS4 year 1 features dozens multiplat ports that run worse than the original on PC at twice the price or more
>Switch releases ports from a dead system that no one owned, and now provides handheld capability.

Geeeeee it gets your noggin floggin
>>
>>379408460
I want an XCX port without the censorship plox.
>>
>>379409509
And Fast Racing Neo
and Rayman Legends
And Breath of the Wild
>>
>>379409674
Hopefully never. Smash 5 or bust.
>>
>>379408460
Pokken sold over a million in a couple months on the fucking Wii U in 2016, with the arcade characters making a new version was a no brainer.
>>
Because to normies, these games are new to them.

The buzz around Mario Kart 8 was never as this big as it was 3 years ago.
>>
>>379409738
>And Fast Racing Neo
Literally a new game
>and Rayman Legends
Multiplat
>And Breath of the Wild
Multiplat if anything, not a port
>>
>>379409745
Smash 5 would literally be the same playing shit anyways.
>>
>>379409761
Hopefully it runs in HD this time

>Turned down effects
>Basically no foliage
>Low res lighting

And STILL managed to be 678p
>>
I never wanted a WiiU, never made sense at price point
switch still kinda doesn't make sense but its a more attractive offer and there were a good bunch of WiiU games that I wanted to play
Makes sense to me- the PS4 Xone remasters made less sense because like 10 times more people owned the 3/360 than the U
>>
>>379408460
The main problems with the Wii U, as far as casual buying power were concerned and not by /v/'s unique metric, were the gimmicky tablet and the horrible marketing, not so much the games. The Switch making bank on all these Wii U ports should have settled that question nicely.
>>
>>379409849
Nah, Smash 5 lacked a lot of the side content that Smash games are known for. It was relatively bare bones for a 3 year development where most of the assets already exist.
>>
>>379409679
>>379409162
>generic "It's okay when Nintendo does it" posts
>>
>>379409970
>Generic "console war shitpost"
>>
>>379408985
The difference is that Switch actually has original content to play. PS4 never did.

I didn't want MK8 Deluxe, so I bought Puyo Puyo Tetris instead.
>>
>>379409379
They came out for $40 not $60 like every Nintendo port.

And at least where either higher frame rate or higher res or both, Last of Us still getting updates to play now natively in 4K with HDR in 60fps.
>>
>>379408460

Daily reminder that Monster Hunter first got really popular with a PSP port of an under-the-radar PS2 game.

Also, it plugs gaps in release schedules.
>>
>>379409486
My nigga.

Have you noticed people on /vp/ being vocal anti-switch?
It's ridiculous, they're pitting brother against brother.
I'm cool with ultra sun ultra moon on 3DS cause if it was ported it wouldn't look nearly as good as Mario kart 8 deluxe for example but those people gotta realize that after this game they're gonna have to buy one
>>
>>379408460
Yes, the Switch is on track to have a far bigger market than the Wii U.

They clearly rushed the Switch to market, and as a result, actual new first party games will be few and far between until the end of 2018.

So it makes sense to port over Wii U games that were successful in their own right, but had a limited audience overall. If you remember, Pokken initially outsold SFV during the week they were released.
>>
>>379409783
>Multiplat if anything, not a port
>developed for Wii U
>ported to Switch
>Multiplat
>>
>>379409783
>we're releasing a zelda game for wii u
>oh no the wii u isn't doing good
>delay
>delay
>delay
>now that zelda game is coming out on wii u and the switch
They postponed the game just to make it a port, that's the worst kind of port.
>>
Pokken sold 1.3m copies and still has a pretty damn active online playerbase for a year old fighting game on such a dead system and a not giant, but decently sized competitive scene.

It's not like it was a flop.
>>
>>379408460
I personally don't mind because i skipped the wiiU.

At launch i was only interested in W101 which wasn't enough to sell it.
When they released Sm4sh there weren't any games i was interested in besides those 2
And by the time Splatoon came out it was well known that the whole console was just a big meme.

On switch i was already intersted in BoTW and ARMS, knew spla2n was gonna come, and most likely a smash game in the future when i bought it 1 month after release. and now i get showered with wii u ports.
>>
>>379408460
lmao people don't buy consoles for their games they buy them because everyone else buys them
>>
Why do people reply to consoles fanboys? Sony, nintendo, microsoft, all of them only want to strip costumer wallets.
>>
>>379408460
Wii-U didn't fail because it lacked games it failed because of shit marketing. They are also only going to port interesting titles. By porting the titles they can make the release schedule seem way more crowded than it is because they aren't getting third party support from AAA developers. Imagine something like this for next year

>January: New Super Luigi
>February: Yoshi's Wooly World
>March: NEW GAME - XENOBLADE 2
>April: DK Tropical Freeze
>May: New Super Mario Bros
>June: NEW GAME - ANIMAL CROSSING SWITCH
>July: Bayonetta 2
>August: Smash
>September: NEW GAME - POKEMON FOR SWITCH
>October: Pikmin 3
>November: Xenoblade X
>December: NEW GAME - METROID PRIME SWITCH

That would look filled and the hype for the console would never die down. Even though Nintendo would technically only release four new IPs (doesn't have to be Pokemon Animal Crossing and Metroid any new game would do the trick).
>>
>>379408460
They did help to sell the Wii U, you fool. The problem is that most people never even knew the damn thing ever existed to begin with.
>>
What's taking them so long to put up the virtual console on Switch? That thing is made to have a bunch of old Nintendo games on it, but they're taking their sweet time doing much of anything.
>>
>>379410324
>Still got a Season pass
Thank god this shit is free on Wii U and PC
>>
File: Last Nintendo Direct.jpg (122KB, 1125x914px) Image search: [Google]
Last Nintendo Direct.jpg
122KB, 1125x914px
It's cute to see people pretend as if there is something wrong with what Nintendo is doing here.

It's always the same thing with you people. "Nintendo isn't doing enough for my support." The truth of the matter is, you will never be happy with anything. Nothing at all. Because you lead sad, empty lives where you just post on message boards crying about how Nintendo doesn't make 'real' games.

I did not buy Mario Kart 8. Why? Because I bought it on Wii U. But I bought Puyo Puyo Tetris on Switch, and I loved it. I bought Disgaea 5 the month after that, and I'm buying Arms this month. I still regularly play all these games. Others are playing Mario Kart, others are still playing Zelda, still others are playing things like Lego City, Mr. Shifty, various Neo Geo fighting games, and others.

This is not a 'weak' library, and I find it laughable that Pretendos are acting as if it is.
>>
>>379408460
Pokken sold more than sfv
>>
File: 1496465426382.jpg (38KB, 258x254px) Image search: [Google]
1496465426382.jpg
38KB, 258x254px
>Wii U has good games
>No one is buying the Wii U so they sell like shit
>People are actually buying the Switch at a rate that utterly dwarfs the Wii U
>Port those games so people can actually play them now

damn really makes you think
>>
>>379408460
>Why would people buy a Switch for these games when they didn't buy a Wii U for them?
Because the Switch has better marketing.
>>
>>379411252
>While releasing exciting new games as well

You forgot that last critical step. ;)
>>
>>379408985
>PS3 game that 80M people aready played gets ported to PS4
>Wii U game that 12M people played gets ported to Switch
Yeah totally the same thing.
>>
>>379410014
>The difference is that Switch actually has original content to play
No it doesn't
>>
>>379411252
>>379410014
Every Switch game worth playing right now was also on the Wii U. There is no original content.
>>
File: 1496863403589.jpg (63KB, 558x845px) Image search: [Google]
1496863403589.jpg
63KB, 558x845px
>>379411212
DELETE THIS

SFV IS AN AMAZING PS4 EXCLUSIVE* IT DID NOT GET OUTSOLD BY A POKEMON FIGHTING GAME!

*also on pc
>>
>>379411608
Delusional.
>>
>>379412026
Name one then--
>Cody
Oh, nevermind
>>
>>379408826
>Hyrule Warriors

It already has a second chance on the 3DS.
>>
>>379412129
Snipperclips.

We had 'original' content since day one. Someone should compile a list.
>>
>>379408460
It worked for Sony. :^)
>>
>>379409268
The vast majority of people who say Splatoon 2 isn't what they wanted in a sequel a shit posters or flat out people who didn't like the first game. If anything the vast majority is fine with it
>>
>>379412331
Faggot
>>
>>379408460
Oh wow. Over half of the replies to this are people shitting on the Wii U and saying its games need ports.
Are you all REALLY that ignorant to not realize the marketing ploy that is leaving Wii U owners in the dust, or are you all just being pompous assholes?
>>
>>379410774
>You should enjoy games found on every other platform
>casually trying to put Lego City and Neo Geo games up there as content

Is this shilling or some sort of meme?
>>
Even as a Wii U fag, I'm okay with these games being ported to the Switch. More games that people havent played means more people buying the Switch. I want it to succeed because the Switch actually looks awesome. It's a great hybrid between a handheld and a classic console. It just needs third parties to support it.
>>
>>379411623
>implying we give a shit about fighting games
Come talk shit about Yakuza and then I'll be triggered.
>>
>>379410019

New Switch games are £45 here, they're on par with PS4 games.

It's likely Pokken will contain other improvements other than the 5 additional fighters, given we've seen footage of two player on the same screen wasn't present in the WiiU version. MK8D contained all the DLC ( TLoUR didn't) as well as a revamped battle mode and a resolution boost.

I don't see how you can claim it's any difference given they had marginal improvements and a high price tag.
>>
>>379410281
Development begin on WiiU and shifted to both Switch and WiiU in 2015. Given development only started in early 2014, it spent as much time being developed for Switch as most games on the platform.
>>
>>379410324
No, not really. Look up the dev diaries, it started in 2014 with a target for late 2015 until the climbing mechanic completely changed up the road of development. BotW in it's current form was never close to being ready during the WiiUs life. They hadn't even finished the towns by E3 2016.
>>
>>379410774
How's your site going Cody
>>
>>379408460
The Wii U was a stillborn console that was dead right out of the gate, BotW could have come out as is currently in 2015 and it sill wouldn't have made any difference. The console was already long dead. So a lot of great games on the system probably massively undersold, if Nintendo was smart they would port every single first party title and distribute the releases in dry spells between actual new stuff.
>>
Eh. I feel like the only game left they could get away with this for is Smash 4. While I'm iffy on the idea, it's a good way to fill out the early life that really isn't that unusual for a company. Also MK8 and Pokken got quite a bit more content in comparison to the HD remake treatment this shit usually gets.
>>
There was nothing wrong with the games for the Wii U. The problem was that the Wii U itself was an undesirable product
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.