[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graphics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: unnamed.png (26KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
26KB, 384x384px
Do graphics matter, /v/?
>>
I think when the art direction demands it bro
>>
For people that actually care for enjoying themselves/having fun/storytelling/etc etc? No
For retards that want nothing but action that opt to play interactive movies? Yes
We can take a look at movies. Most bland ones get most sales because muh new era GFX
>>
The greatest games of all time are at least 10 years old, so no, they don't matter
>>
It matters to the point that it provides a clear representation of the game to the player. Does every game need to be AAA graphics to be good? No.
>>
>>379359334
>arcade games? what are those?
>>
>>379359241
Yes. At the very least the game needs to be not unpleasant to look at. Too many games are hard on the eyes.
>>
>>379359241
Yes. They dont have to be super modern, but they do matter, we are visual creatures and nothing sets a better tone than good art direction.
>>
>>379359241
They don’t matter on shooters and multiplayer game, expect most people to downgrade the graphics to pull the most of FPS
>>
File: 1475425989836.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1475425989836.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>379359497
>>379359495

You SAY that, yet everyone shits on Yooka Laylee and Mighty No.9 for their graphics even though they were much better looking than what could be achieved on the Playstation 2
>>
>>379359871
Arcade games aren't interactive movies
>>
>>379360234
If you're trying to make a game with "good graphics" you're going to be held to a higher standard. If you're making a game like Yooka Laylee or MN9 you have to put in enough effort into the graphics to make it look nice.
>>
>>379359241
they do, but not as much as the industry currently seems to think
>>
>>379360234
they may be more graphically intensive than anything on an older system, but that doesn't necessarily mean they look better. For example, there are DOGSHIT games on the 360 that look way worse than anything on the ps2 even though a ps2 could never actually run them. In the end it seriously comes down to art direction.
>>
>>379359241
they absolutely do. if say a given game-- let's take Far Cry 3 because i'm staring at it on my desktop right now-- had the exact same gameplay, performance, music, et cetera; but this hypothetical version had better graphics, i'm sure everyone but the most contrary contrarians would prefer it.
>>
>>379360428
That's what I'm saying
>>
>>379359241
Graphics matter because unless you're playing a text based RPG you're going to want some visual representation of what you're doing.
It should look good too so that you want to keep seeing more of it.
Anything beyond that is extra and simply for bragging about how gorgeous the game looks.

Resolution beyone 1080 is a meme. Framerate above 120 is a super meme. Anything less than that is unacceptable.
>>
>>379360813
Graphics are nice, and of course if given the option people will want the one that looks better. Graphics don't make a game good though
>>
only if you're a casual
>>
Alright, when people say graphics does that include art style or is it just the resolution and other technical aspects?
>>
>>379359241
There's certainly a standard to withhold when new games enter the market, but all in all I think graphics only makes up a small part of what makes a game "good".

I can have fun with stylized games, as well as hyper realistic games.

But ultimately, I think stylized games look better, since the medium is constantly evolving, and what looks good today looks like shit tomorrow when it comes "realistic" looking titles.
>>
File: 1473396780406.jpg (51KB, 960x937px) Image search: [Google]
1473396780406.jpg
51KB, 960x937px
Does the video part of a video game matter?
Yes OP it does.
>>
>>379364306
IMO they are totally separate things. Guild Wars 1 is 12 years old now, and thanks to a fantastic art style it still looks beautiful.
Graphics can make a game look great for its time, but eventually those graphics will be outdone. Art style helps keep a game from aging visually.
>>
Graphics can punctuate your actions and improve gamefeel. Shooting a gun wouldn't feel as satisfying if there weren't visible recoil, a muzzle flash, and an ejected shell casing.
>>
>>379359241
Gameplay > Graphics
Artstyle > Realism
>>
>>379359241
yes but not worth losing framerate over
>>
>>379359241
What all does graphics mean? Things like textures and effects but what about animations? Do the things we commonly cite for art style or atmosphere tie into graphics?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.