[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replace refunds with rentals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 250px-Blockbuster_logo.svg[1].png (14KB, 250x150px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Blockbuster_logo.svg[1].png
14KB, 250x150px
10 years ago you could rent any game for $5 for ~3 days. In that time you could do whatever you wanted: you could play for 20 minutes and decide it sucks or play for 40 hours straight and 100% it, either way it cost you $5.

Why not adopt the same model today? Rent a game for $5, it gets added to your library for 3 days, you can complete however much of the game you want then it gets removed from your library.

Devs are protected: no more refund abuse because the $5 rental charge is nonrefundable. They get $5 no matter what.

Consumers are protected: no more 2 hour games being sold for $20. If your piece of shit game can be beaten during the rental period, you can only earn $5 for it.

As an added bonus you could have a $5 discount for anyone who decides to purchase the rented game. Then there's no extra cost to the consumer if they like the rented game and decide to buy it.

What is the flaw in this scheme?
>>
>>379357464
The flaw is that your suggested model doesn't make as much money off of people than the current model.
>>
Pretty sure you can do this on Playstation Now if you choose not to do the monthly subscription.
>>
>>379357464
Video game rentals were more like $8 before Blockbuster went out of business. And the main reason people aren't adopting Blockbuster's business model is...they went out of business.
>>
There's only a limited amount of copies you could've rented from blockbuster
>>
>>379357549
>you were born in a universe where currency is needed for everything
anyone have that rage comic where the pizza delivery guy has to deal with a dude weed lmao person who says money shouldnt exist or something
>>
>>379357687
No it's because you had to physically go to the store. Modern gaming is severely lacking in demos and mostly reliant on hype to sell otherwise shitty games, both of which are addressed by rental. The business model is sound, it's just the delivery mechanism that sucks shit.
>>
>>379357708
That's a limitation of the store itself. They can only physically stock so many copies. Are you saying you need scarcity for the rental model to work? Scarcity was usually a non-issue, they would have enough copies of anything new or you could drive to the slightly further Blockbuster to get a copy there. By the end they were even guaranteeing that new releases would be in stock.
>>
>>379357549
???
>buy game
>refund
>you get back money
>dev gets none of it
versus
>rent game
>don't like it
>dev still gets the bit of money you paid to rent it
>>
>>379358342
Anon, when you buy a game, you're more likely to buy DLC. There's no incentive to buy DLC with rentals. DLC and microtransactions make a huge amount of money, that's why they're in everything.
>>
>>379358537
I was approaching the issue from the perspective of refunds. Like, games you're going to refund no matter what.

If it's a game you rented for a few days and have no interest in returning to, I don't see that person buying and DLC for the game even if they bought it.
>>
Quite a few companies have already tried this or a variation of this.

It just aint profitable
>>
>>379357464
If you buy a game for $60, I think something like $27 goes to the publisher, 13 goes to steam and I can't remember all the portion amounts, but for $5, it isn't worth it for the devs since they still need to split it.
>>
>>379358342
Why should developers be paid for a game I don't like? Maybe they should make good games instead of looking for anti consumer shortcuts like this.
>>
>>379358342
Anon, that's stupid.

Blockbuster bought the copy of that game. They already have their sale. Blockbuster gets that $5. The publisher got whatever Blockbuster negotiated them down to as a bulk price. Revenue sharing for rentals was usually more of a movie thing.
>>
File: 1490501883224.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1490501883224.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
Why is it that no one remembers Gamefly? Are you all literally 18 and under? Not to mention, Gamefly still exist and it cost 10 dollars a month to rent any game you want and it you want to keep it you can even buy it from them.

I had Gamefly during the 360 era. It was pretty sweet. The only problem was getting games on release that were niche as they probably had low supplies. But for anything mainstream you could get it day one.
>>
>ree fuck customer rights
>>
>>379361235
I always saw commercials for that like 5 years ago and assumed it was shitty game netflix so i never bothered.
>>
File: rent.jpg (116KB, 639x390px) Image search: [Google]
rent.jpg
116KB, 639x390px
Aren't there several companies that do game rentals?
>>
>>379361503
What's shitty about renting any game you want for 10 bucks?
>>
>>379361983
I don't like getting games in the mail/having to mail them back. The only reason i like netflix is because i can stream. PSnow i a thing but iv'e never seen a worse service, impossible to play any game it's a scam.
>>
It will definitely not be 5 dollars if they were to do that
>>
>>379362198
>I don't like getting games in the mail
>He has never purchased a game off amazon

Shocking.
>>
>>379362639
That's not what i meant but ok whatever you win.
>>
>buy used game a gamestop
>you have 7 days to return it no questions asked
>return it before 7 days are up

Why don't more people do this?
>>
>>379357464
Steam sales literally ARE rentals, you lot just don't realise one day you'll essentially have to 'give your games back' (or illegally crack them to continue playing what you thought you owned.)
>>
>>379364012
Some people collect games and will sometimes go back to the game in the future. Beats returning it and spending the time hunting it down with increased prices due to its potential rarity.
>>
>>379359173
>>379360346
I think you guys totally missed the post I was replying to

The post I was replying to was saying that the suggested model (of digital renting) vs digital refunds wouldn't work because the "current" system makes more money, which doesn't make sense? Because nobody makes money from refunds?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.