[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why does everyone hate this game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 12

File: ph.jpg (27KB, 334x299px) Image search: [Google]
ph.jpg
27KB, 334x299px
why does everyone hate this game
>>
>>379343002
Because it's the worst Zelda that's why.
>>
it took everything nobody really liked about wind waker and blew it up compared to the things people actually liked
>>
>>379343002
Nintenbros grew up
>>
It took me forever to figure out that puzzle where you had to close the screen.
>>
>>379343002
it's very different and there are several things it didn't do very well

it was better than ph imo
>>
File: Characters_(Spirit_Tracks).png (934KB, 1000x1343px) Image search: [Google]
Characters_(Spirit_Tracks).png
934KB, 1000x1343px
Sequel did justice to the ideas in PH and became one of the better Zelda games.
>>
Having to go through that same dungeon OVER and OVER again.
Spirit Tracks was ok though
>>
>>379343216
I solved the one by accident after closing the DS in frustration
>>
linebeck best support
>>
>>379343282
>>379343309
>spirit track was better

that train was hell. st is the most only game i ever dropped before finishing. truly disgusting stuff
>>
>>379343002
I don't hate it. It's okay. Spirit Tracks its the shit one.
>>
>>379343002
Idk I thought it was pretty fun for what it was.
>>
Drawing an hourglass is almost impossible
>>
>>379343002
Temple of the Ocean King is the worst dungeon in any Zelda game ever.
>>
>>379343002
I played that like 9 years ago or so shiet
>>
>>379344165
This is why I never want to replay PH. Finished it and will never look back.
>>
>>379344003
Next time keep your shitty opinions to yourself
>>
>>379343309
better than "playing" as Zelda
>>
>>379344165
personally I think the big tower from ST is worst
>>
File: fuck you mean.png (586KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you mean.png
586KB, 800x449px
I actually think its better than WW
>>
>>379344165
Not even /v/ can argue with this
>>379344472
Didn't i tell you to keep your shitty opinions to yourself?
>>
>>379343002
Because it's pus
>>
>>379344472
>Doesn't force you to replay parts of it every time you come back
Automatically better.
>>
>>379343002
Because it's almost as bad as Wind Waker.

>>379344512
That is the lowest bar possible in the Zelda franchise.
>>
>>379343002
>Wouldn't it be great if the same screen you used to move was the same screen Link was on?
Touch controls suck man.
>>
>>379344684
Replaying the same parts over again could be cool if its down in interesting ways (letting you find new paths with new abilities you've acquired)

I haven't played PH recently enough to remember if it did this or not
>>
>>379344590
>Not even /v/ can argue with this
Its far better than controlling Zelda in a shit version of the same goddamn dungeon. At least with in PH you unlock way faster ways to traverse the temple as you progress in the game and get more items. Spirit Tower is boring as fuck and just a filler dungeon with no real danger. PH your life gets drained if you run out of time making it way more intense.
>>
>>379343282
Personally I thought it was worse. Either way I don't care for either.
>>
>>379343080
but it's not twilight princess.
>>
>>379343216
I didn't have internet when this game came out and it took me 3 days to do it. I kept restarting the level cause I thought it had bugged. Still a fun game though I would play it again
>>
>>379343282
Bingo. I loved the hell out of PH, but even I'll admit when ST came out, it got bumped down a few pegs.
>>
>>379343002
Temple of the ocean king was fucking trash.

>>379343879
>>379344003
>>379345132
>>379347669
The fuck are you talking about. ST was an improvement. It wasn't a great game but it had a lot more polish and no ocean king temple in sight.
>>
>>379348120
I said I loved the hell out of it, it's just that ST was a major improvement.
>>
>>379345425
twilight princess is better than windwaker
Name a zelda game that had padding as bad as windwakers.
Even exploring for sidequests was fucking tedious because of the sailing.

Worst world.
Worst progression.
Worst zelda.
>>
>>379345425
Yes. That's exactly why PH is the worst Zelda.
Because it isn't TP.
>>
>>379348529
>He liked Ocarina of Time without any charm
>>
>naming link "linebeck" just so that when you rescued linebeck and he asked you your name he would say "linebeck? that's a weird name! my name's linebeck!"
>>
File: 1496660825849.jpg (74KB, 520x800px) Image search: [Google]
1496660825849.jpg
74KB, 520x800px
You guys saying ST is better need to replay both. ST is an awful on-rails simulator all the way through and I'm not talking about just the train. PH has open world exploration, better secrets even if much less content, superior item implementation, and simply more of a Zelda game. The survival elements of Ocean King Temple just aren't liked because you were impatient the first time to see what happened next in the story, but when you go back to play them you find it's actually a very fun and cathartic aspect in between dungeons. Honestly the worst part of the entire game is that there's no quick teleport back to the Ocean King Temple. It does take at least 10 minutes so you do waste 20-30 minutes if you don't get the fourth chart in one go. But compare this to ST's linear dungeons which is so streamlined you don't even need to collect the Bomb Bag to beat the game because you can use Zelda. The items at just tickets to get to the next spot to use Zelda for some gimmick puzzle. PH actually had challenges you could tackle in a wide array of ways, like when you have to battle three phantoms without taking a hit.

The only thing ST had were better bosses and music, but those were not worth the 20 hours the game takes to beat.
>>
>>379349725
I meant the Spirit Tower not dungeons obviously.
>>
>>379344826
Not exactly new paths, but you could do some shortcuts by using the itens, like making a bridge out of the grappling hook.
>>
>>379343002
The final boss music is nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWywKbZHW4A
>>
>>379348337
>Name a zelda game that had padding as bad as windwakers.
Twilight Princess, except instead of sailing and the Triforce Quest you have tears, wolf bullshit and even more disappointing ass dungeons.
>>379345425
TP was still better than the DS games.
>>
>>379343002
Dan?
>>
>>379343282
>Had to do the blowing sections in a car trip
It was fucking hell, the damn flute never hit the right notes because people had their windows down
>>
The only thing I didn't like was the Ocean King temple.
The rest of the game was pretty good, even the touch controls. The multiplayer was probably the best part of the game
>>
File: get a load of this fagola.png (140KB, 445x250px) Image search: [Google]
get a load of this fagola.png
140KB, 445x250px
>>379344684
>he didn't see all the shortcuts in the dungeon from the items you had
You kidding me?
>>
>>379344826
It did
Everything in the dungeon had a faster way to get through it when you got more items
>>
>>379343002
the only qualm I had was the pirate chick kept stalking you even when she stops giving you rewards.
Linebeck is the best partner in Zelda with a fantastic theme song
>>
>>379343002
the ocean temple shit makes the game unreplayable

however, I did enjoy my initial blind run of the game to have felt like one day replaying it, so there was that.
>>
>>379351463
Twilight Princess had some of the best dungeons in the franchise, what the fuck are you on about?
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (584KB, 520x1042px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
584KB, 520x1042px
>>379349725
>>
>>379353012
kek
>>
>Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
>Super Mario 64 DS
>Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
>Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
>all the fantastic detective games
>Mario and Luigi 2 and 3
>Advance Wars DS and DoR
Be honest, would you go back?
>>
Temple of ocean temple was basically an IQ test

retards kept doing the same things all over again not realizing that it is structured like metroidvania time attack mode
>>
>>379349725
I've replayed both, ST is way better than PH. "Exploration" in PH is retardedly simple and consists entirely of going in straight lines across plain ocean to see what you might have missed. ST might be on rails but compared to PH it at least doesn't waste your goddamn time. Temple of the Ocean King is even worse the second time around because you can realize just how goddamn pointless it is. And god forbid that ST actually has unique puzzles instead of reusing the five from every Zelda game before it.
>>
>>379353348
Oh boy doing the same thing over and over again is way more satisfying this time around because this time I can do it FASTER.
>>
>>379353348
Sounds more like an autism test than an IQ test considering that repeating the same thing over and over again for faster times is only gong to appeal to the speedrunner community.
>>
Because the music is terrible, the dungeons all feel like 1-2 large rooms, touchscreen only sucks, Ocean King in general, and basically no exploration.

>>379343080
but it's not spirit tracks.
>>
>>379348120
>traversing the overworld is even worse than PH
>warping is worthless
>likely that you'll have to stop and back up and turn to avoid a bomb train that shouldn't exist, adding entire minutes onto the trip
>the fucking spirit flute

Just the Spirit Flute alone makes it the worst zelda.
>>
>>379353348
I'm not saying it's awful design, but it's not the best.
>>
I liked Spirit tracks zelda.
>>
File: 3016928-6968481091-tumbl.gif (920KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
3016928-6968481091-tumbl.gif
920KB, 500x300px
>>379353852
ST is better than PH
It fixes most of the problems with PH and has comfy overworld music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ome96XXNyZE
>>
>>379344165
Once you get the speedrunning stuff down it turned into one of my favourite dungeons in the entire series and one of the best-designed.
>>
>>379349725
Nah the Ocean King Temple was shit. Riding the rails in spirit tracks was actually fun too
>>
File: comic159.png (280KB, 650x1231px) Image search: [Google]
comic159.png
280KB, 650x1231px
>>
>>379354007
I didn't drop PH midway through like i did ST. The DS zeldas were the low point in the series.
>>
>>379354190
I didn't drop either halfway through, I enjoyed them for what they were. They weren't that long even with the padding.
Really the only one I ever dropped was Zelda II
>>
>>379354331
Zelda 2's so much better than the DS games it's not even funny.
>>
>>379354423
We're gonna have to agree to disagree anon
>>
>>379353685
>>379353747
congrats, you failed the test, here's your ticket for soup line

With progression you get items that let you skip entire floors at a time, you'd knew that if you paid even a minimal iota of attention instead of continually bashing your heads against the same bump in the wall
>>
File: 1484805387843.jpg (42KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1484805387843.jpg
42KB, 480x480px
>>379353206
>when my family wasn't even more fucked up and I was somewhat innocent with a future ahead

Now I'm a depressed fuck on the verge of suicide that literally only enjoys sleeping. Being a wagecuck wasn't half bad but I got kicked out of my mom's house for wanting to sleep all the time when I was off work, forced to quit that job, and I'm back to squalor with my grandma. Fuck yeah the past looks brighter everyday.
>>
>>379343002
Touch screen controls, Temple of the Ocean King, repetitive music. I don't mind the first two. I thought the tricks like skipping puzzles and floors with new items in the temple were neat.
>>
>>379343002

Shitty ass music, i still played the whole damn thing, but god damn they could have done something better

All it did was make spirit track more enjoyable
>>
>>379355349
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmUzpYaxNIc

>someone thought this was okay
>>
>>379355562
>*DUN* *DUN* *DUN* *DUN*
>*DUN* *DUN* *DUN* *DUN*
>*toot* *toot*
>>
Everyone hates PH when it does the Temple of the Ocean King, but everyone loves P3 with the Toothpaste dungeon.
>>
File: suk.jpg (78KB, 591x361px) Image search: [Google]
suk.jpg
78KB, 591x361px
>>379354152
>>
>>379354152
why do I wanna fuck this particular Zelda?
>>
I played heaps of zelda growing up, quit LTTP, got bored of OoT and WW. Didn't enjoy any of them. This was the first Zelda game I played the entire way through and enjoyed it. Then I go online and find out everyone hated this game.
>>
>>379343002
I liked the game. The main dungeon was a chore if you didn't play for a while and forgot how to navigate it.

I hear Spirit Tracks is an improvement, but the train tracks looked really dumb so I never tried it.
>>
>>379343080
I like to pretend that Skyward Sword doesn't exist from time to time, but it does exist and it is the worst Zelda.
>>
whalte temple was too hard for casuals
>>
File: linebeck.png (183KB, 366x600px) Image search: [Google]
linebeck.png
183KB, 366x600px
>>379343002
Something something touch controls.

Personally my biggest issue with it is that it isn't very inspired. The setting is basically a poor man's Wind Waker with a discount Navi, Wind Fish, and Vaati thrown in. The only great element is Linebeck. And maybe the Anouki. As far as the gameplay goes, all of the items are from previous games, they've just been "reimagined" for touch controls. Which is kind of interesting but doesn't make for a very fresh experience. You've basically done it all before, only now you're using a touch screen. The touch controls aren't bad, they work well most of the time, but it's not a strong enough gimmick to prop up the mediocre content. There's also the Temple of the Ocean King which is more of an extended stealth segment than anything, I didn't absolutely hate it like some people but it wasn't especially good either.

Spirit Tracks is pretty much a straight upgrade in every respect except for the train. What could have been a great game is downgraded to just a good game because of a terrible vehicle gimmick.
>>
>>379354007
>It fixes most of the problems with PH
Yet still manages to be complete garbage and worse in some ways. It takes a certain kind of talent to improve on parts of a shitty game and still end up making something that's worse.
>>
Can we all agree if he were to speak, Linebeck would have a Scottish accent?
>>
>>379357643
Would you be more interested if I told you the tracks were actually part of a seal?
>>
Well, it's got my favorite Toon Link's Sword that I'd kill to have in Smash Bros, that's a plus.
>>
Temple of the Ocean King is inexcusable from a design standpoint and it also has the problem of being an early DS game and having to shoehorn in the stylus and touch controls with finicky maps and drawing recognition

Linebeck is cool and honestly probably the best companion in the series, but PH is probably the weakest Zelda with ST not far behind. The DS was not kind to Zelda.
>>
>>379343002
Because it quite possibly is THE worst Nintendo-made Zelda game.

Regardless of how adorable Linebeck is.
>>
How many of the puzzles boiled down to "go to this location to write something down on your map for later?"
>>
>>379343002
>replaying the same TIMED dungeon over and over
fucking hated that shit
>>
I strongly prefer the controls of PH and ST to the 2D Zelda games that came before them

>>379349725
I played both in order just a few years ago. ST is better, barely.

The music in PH is absolutely fucking exhausting for its repetition. ST's soundtrack is not only better but also

On boss fights, I think both are fine. They're a totally different kind of boss fight from other Zelda games and I like that they have a different style. ST leans toward 3D Zelda fights and has greater polish and sense of scale, PH leans slightly toward 2D Zelda fights and has some slightly more technical encounters.

I thought Temple of the Ocean King was fine. It's still padding, though, and there's plenty that you will have to redo no matter how clever you are about your newfound gear. There's a better way to do this concept. Tower of Spirits does have the awkward-controlling Zelda (who I really wish just had something like a mix of the Bombchu and Goron controls from PH), but the puzzles involving her gradually get more complex and I'm a huge sucker for building and twisting a single core mechanic - it's why I love ALBW so much.

When it comes to optional goodies, I think that PH is better, but I really couldn't bare to subject myself to the train any more than I had to, so there may well be some high quality content stuffed in some corner of the map.

ST has some really good moments with the train, but they're not enough to save it. The boat in PH is just slightly worse than inoffensive.

PH has one of my favorite dungeon gadgets in the series. Meanwhile, ST has the only non-riddle puzzle in the entire series that I sincerely found challenging, over a game's length of building up some great mechanics.
>>
you know, i think i just realized
i don't like zelda games at all
i don't like the structure, the gameplay, or the aesthetic
i just hate all of them
huh
>>
>>379360981
Thank you for this very in-depth look, anon. I greatly appreciate reading things like this.

What was the dungeon gadget, and what was the puzzle?
>>
i really don't get it. PH, ST and Four Swords Adventures are the only Zelda games I've played from start to finish. I've also tried multiple 3D games, but they just aren't enjoyable.
>>
>>379343216
Funny you mention that, my little sister had trouble with that puzzle. I had one of those sudden realizations when doing it and closed the screen and I felt like a genius.

It was a good game yo, idk if some of these Anons who hate it have really played it.
>>
>>379361925
nobody cares, loser
>>
>>379352979
it really is a shame that they were intended for windwaker.

Imagine a world where windwaker didn't get cut short and have a triforce quest padding bolted on the end but instead we actually got a full array of dungeons.

It would have been great. But instead they rushed onto working on TP and we got two sub par games instead.
>>
>>379343002
Intrusive gimmick controls and being an utterly shite direct sequel to a different game.
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.