[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck? /v/ told me the Divine Beasts in this game were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: BreathoftheWild.jpg (124KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
BreathoftheWild.jpg
124KB, 250x350px
What the fuck? /v/ told me the Divine Beasts in this game were shit. Just did the Elephant dungeon and I thought the level design was fucking great. Is it because they're shorter than other Zelda dungeons?
>>
>>379339042
The elephant is easily the best one. The bird and the lizard are functionally the exact same, and the giraffe is just kind of boring. The puzzles are never particularly complex, and if you put all four together you get like the Deku Tree in size. Top it all off with 4 bosses that are conceptually the same, and easy as hell to boot. And you have yourself some subpar dungeons

Divine Beasts are a really interesting concept that fell completely flat.
>>
>>379339042
I enjoyed them, but I didn't like that they were aesthetically exactly the same dungeon, just in five different locations. Prefer the previous 3D Zelda approach where each dungeon has a different theme to it in terms of appearance.
>>
>>379339283
Go play Ocarina of Time again, autistic retard. The puzzles were never complex in that game either and the Bird alone is bigger than the Deku Tree. The Camel is also way better than the Elephant.
>>
>>379339638
Wow, look everyone. A 12 year old who can;t substantiate his claims and resorts to childlike insults.
>>
>>379339784
The wingspan of the bird alone is bigger than the Deku Tree for fucks sake.
>>
>>379339283
The Deku tree was tiny as shit. No the giant drop in the centre doesn't count, it's literally just a single jump
>>
File: WVW69kVibxog8PsW2A.jpg (72KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
WVW69kVibxog8PsW2A.jpg
72KB, 800x450px
>>379339042
I love BotW, would probably rate it 9/10, but the lack of real Zelda dungeons was a let down and the single thing that prevents it from being almost perfect (aside from some minor things that I'd detract 0,1-0,5 points for). It's not that the Divine beasts were bad really, they just were too short, to same-y in interior and the main blight bosses aside from Thunderblight can all be beaten with the exact same arrow strat. I haven't been to Hyrule castle yet but I hear that's closer to a full length dungeon so if we get a proper one in the DLC all in all it will be good, but even though I prefer the new non-linear (or less linear at least) puzzle design of BotW to the "use designated item"-design of the older Zelda's the way you progress through a massive sprawling dungeon is something to be missed.
>>
>>379339042
how did you get the 3rd beacon?
>>
>>379339468
Wait hold the phone

There are only FIVE DUNGEONS?!
>>
>>379339042
>moving two gears in the most simple ways possible for advancing
>"fucking great"

Your standards went down the toilet.
>>
File: mmwallpaper03-1479929801397.jpg (764KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
mmwallpaper03-1479929801397.jpg
764KB, 3840x2160px
>>379340798
>>
Honestly, I would prefer more areas like Hyrule Castle over regular dungeons at this point.

I've never really understood Zelda's fascination with puzzles. I mean, why? You've got this big, high fantasy adventure setting, yet so many games focus around puzzle aspects that could otherwise be put into a much smaller title.

I liked the castle because, while it wasn't really a dungeon, it had a lot of little things to explore and look around in, that you didn't particularly find in the rest of the overworld.
>>
>>379341060
BotW's puzzle are nice though because you can solve them in some unorthodox ways.
>>
I wanna replay the entrance to the bird one again. Hell, that whole Beast was pretty fun too.
>>
>>379341060
It worked better in games like OoT where there was a shitload of other content outside the dungeons
>>
>>379341181
I agree, BotW as a whole was a much more sensible direction for the series, I just honestly don't understand why so many games waded through puzzle elements.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with puzzle games, but Zelda is a big fantasy setting that originally sold itself on being an adventure. Why focus so much on spacial awareness, and problem solving?
>>
>>379339283
>desert
>two humps
>giraffe

Kek
>>
>>379339283
I must have missed the giraffe one, what was the boss like?
>>
>>379339042
The Divine Beasts are great.

The problem is that they last 30 minutes and there's 4 of them, and that they're all the content dungeon-wise of the game.

I love BotW but my #1 hope for a sequel is that they make more/larger dungeons.
>>
>>379339042

Did it look like the shrines or was it different ?

Did it had it's own special music or background music ?
>>
>>379341756
I basically agree but from what I've heard Hyrule castle is closer to a normal Zelda dungeon. Also Eventide and the labyrinths are somewhat dungeon like. But I agree this is BotW's major weakness although it's still very good
>>
>>379341398
Perhaps because spacial awareness is engaging the player and solving puzzles leaves a sense of accomplishment. People consider these fun (like me), but granted its not for everyone.
>>
>>379341908
Hyrule Castle is unlike any Zelda dungeon. It's also fucking amazing.
>>
>>379341928
There's nothing wrong with liking that in a game. I enjoy Zelda's puzzles too.

What I question, is why build a giant fantasy setting when, for some games, the real meat and potatoes are those dungeon puzzles? Surely you could deliver that same experience, possibly even in a more refined way, if you didn't build massive overworlds, and have combat mechanics, and large narratives.

I guess, prior to BotW, I really was starting to question the overall direction and purpose of the Zelda franchise.
>>
>>379342012
Damn you're making me hype for this game again. Mostly been playing P5 lately.
>>
>>379342305
In a game that focuses on exploration like Zelda and avoids the larger RPG qualities like stats and talent trees, the game can very easily get shallow. Puzzles are a way of adding depth. It ads a conflict other than combat to the game.

My biggest problem with the recent Zelda games is that they seem to be skimping on content. The fact that OoT had eight dungeons and an insane amount of side quests and Majora' s Mask had four and a shitloads of other content and a time mechanic and it was a rush job in a year, everything since had been small.

I don't know what changed but it keeps happening. I mean BotW o it having five dungeons? Really?
>>
/v/ is so full of contrarians it's embarassing

BotW was a legitimately incredible game, but because NINTENDO people get really angry over it
>>
>>379342305
Zelda as a franchise is Nintendo's jack-o-all-trades games with emphasis on adventure. The puzzles are simply part of the formula and tradition. MM for instance decided to make the sidequests central as you solve the problems of the residents of Termina. Each game approaches the puzzles differently.
>>
>>379342680
Well the thing with BotW is that mixed between those five dungeons, there are 120 shrines, which, while they can be repetitive, do fill in a lot of the potential gaps. One shrine puzzle can easily translate to one puzzle in a dungeon .

I feel like though BotW is the closest to a full RPG Zelda's gotten yet. I mean you've got armor stats, an abundance of optional side quests. In a way, it almost feels like an RPG where you've hit max level, and are trying to get gear, and other unique things as a means of progression.
>>
>>379342835
I think it's most of the games after MM I have a problem with. They became very linear, with a large focus toward puzzle-solving, and doing things in a specific order.

The exploration elements kept on feeling smaller and smaller, up until BotW.
>>
>>379341060
I agree with this.

BotW's Hyrule Castle is an example of what I want EVERY Zelda dungeon to be going forward. It's a sprawling maze riddled with enemies and secrets to find and actually feels like a proper megastructure instead of a bunch of puzzle rooms stitched together to teach you how to use that new item. The puzzles are important though, but I'd be happy to see them relegated to Divine Beast or Shrine-like structures as side content. If BotW makes a sequel with the same engine/assets, I'd like to see 4 or 5 Hyrule Castles, and maybe 20 or 30 of the longer Shrines or Beasts in total, packed into a smaller world. I think that's a fair trade, give up a little space in favor of more dense dungeon content.
>>
Is this better than Majora's Mask? I thought BOTW was my new favorite game and that it was the best game ever, however, after I finished BOTW I felt like playing Majora's Mask so I emulated the 3ds versionand I'm unsure which one is the best.
>>
>>379339638
>Bringing up OoT for no reason
>Thinking size=good monster design
Are you retarded?
>>
>>379343408
There definitely need to be more areas like the castle in future games. The density of things in it reminded me of one of the better areas in a Souls game, but the freedom of movement made it crazy fun to just explore.

BotW nailed having an awesome world to mess around in, but if future titles could add a sort of depth and density to more areas, that would make it even better.
>>
>>379343475
They're radically different games. I'm not even sure if you can properly compare the two.
>>
>>379343330
I agree with you. It comes from a variety of things like the limited capacity of their systems or competing games changing the perception of large sprawling world. SS is a prime example and design antithesis of BOTW. They work with what they have and despite the perception that they crank out the same games over and over, this is not the case. I still think SS surpassed OOT and theyve been on a roll since.
>>
>>379343806
radical dude
>>
The only thing about the whole puzzles thing I miss is finding actual artifacts to use on the environment. I can see why Runes exist in BotW, but by the time you leave the Great Plateau you already have the means to solve like 95% of all shrines and other obstacles. Would have been nice to see thing like the Fire Rod or the Hookshot return, or even a lantern for really dark spots. I also miss expendable bombs oddly enough.
>>
>>379339042
I think it really depends on what people look for in dungeons. If you want spatial reasoning and clever layouts, the Divine Beasts are absolutely ace albeit short. I loved them. But then again, I didn't like TP's dungeons because of how trivially linear and restrictive they felt, and lots of people liked those.
>>
File: tumblr_oqsjj5Maxu1tq2im0o2_1280.jpg (261KB, 1280x1499px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oqsjj5Maxu1tq2im0o2_1280.jpg
261KB, 1280x1499px
the divine beasts were fun
>>
>>379344447
Rods are in the game, but I know what you mean. I'm sure future games will add more runes and more utility.

The fact though that you have most of your mean available to you at the start of the game is arguably good, though. There were a lot of items that frankly, outside their specific dungeon, were pretty useless. Every rune had practical capabilities.

I had like, so much fun, once I was able to stasis enemies.
>>
>>379343723
BotW really needed some actual levels because all the tools are there for exciting and satisfying combat but there are barely instances where it's shown off. The Serpents Jaws quest at 6-7 hearts was fun as hell because it combined exploring this dense unknown jungle with the quick pace of Lizalfos that could easily one-shot you. When you got to the end of the level and there's about 10 archers it gets really frantic and fun. It's a shame that Hyrule Castle is the only place that has that same potential for the combat because I think the combat mechanics on their own get a bit too much criticism.
>>
>>379343597
I didn't bring it up, faggot. Read the post I replied to.
>>
>>379344752
I really like the approach of just giving you tons of items to interactive with instead of building the world around certain functions. For example, breaking the rotating torch cube puzzle by making a campfire and shooting arrows through it was a really fun moment.

I like that so many of the weapons and carryable items like hammers, flint, and chuchu jelly have odd and creative uses that stem from general functionality instead of building situations around items.

I think that if they kept expanding that, and you had a slightly better way of putting items in your hands and placing/throwing them, nobody would miss the old items.
>>
>>379345102
I was thinking something similar after I finished playing BotW. If they incorporated the hookshot, its usual straight shot nature should be changed. Something like swinging in spiderman and maybe a pull object function. Or if you pull yourself, smacking into a wall or thorns would be an obstacle.
>>
>>379345447
I bet the grapple hook could easily be incorporated into the game. It could be used to help scale things when it's raining, or give you a means to preserve stamina under certain circumstances.
>>
>>379345575
Not to mention more interesting level design possibilities traversing the underside of outcroppings/sealings.
>>
Dungeons are shit. The best Zelda games are the ones with the least dungeons.

My only gripe with the Divine Beasts is that the only enemies inside are Ganons and Bubbles that spawn from the goop-eyes. If they had more interesting enemies or encounters, I would've said that they're perfect.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.