[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is making a game an art or a science?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: miyamoto.jpg (54KB, 455x343px) Image search: [Google]
miyamoto.jpg
54KB, 455x343px
Is making a game an art or a science?
>>
First let's start with something, what is art?

What defines something as art?

And how do you differentiate art from science?
>>
File: why don't we have both.jpg (24KB, 354x255px) Image search: [Google]
why don't we have both.jpg
24KB, 354x255px
>>379316752
Both. You use science to make art.
>>
>>379316927
This

Is making a movie art?

What if the director treats it like art and pours his soul into it, but the actors and writers don't give a fuck about it?
>>
>>379316927
>>379317139
Not an argument.
>>
>>379317345
Are you mentally challenged or something? I'm not even making an argument yet, I'm asking questions in order to structure a correct answer or argument to the predicament.
>>
>>379317653
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>379316752
It's an artistic vision made real through an understanding of the scientific framework it's based around. Like cooking
>>
>>379317926
cooking isn't art. art by definition isn't made just to be violently destroyed moments after.
>>
>>379316752
Both considering shit like painting frescoes have a science to them
>>
>>379316752
You can approach game design with pure artistic intent, seeking to create something beautiful purely for the sake of its beauty, or that elicits an emotional or thoughtful response from the player interacting with it.

And you can put aside such concerns and focus solely on creating a mechanically engaging experience based on documented principles of game design as a field of study.

But most likely you'll be doing a bit of both.
>>
>>379318034
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10084L3Pqsc
>>
>>379317345

That's not a magic escape answer you illiterate mongoloid. Defining the terms and parameters of any discussion is critical to actually having a good argument.
>>
>>379318034
Mandalas though

QED
>>
>>379317345
you are technically correct.

the best kind of correct!

(you)
>>
>>379318751
This isn't art though, it's a religious practice

Religion isn't art
>>
>>379318751
>>379319036
Not art.
>>
>the sistine chapel, the statue of David, and the Pietà are not works of art because they are based on religious subject
Nope 434, you ain't even gettin a (You) for that.
>>
>>379319736
Not an argument.
>>
>>379319787
I'm not seeking to make an argument, I'm seeking to insult your boundless stupidity.
Cunt.
>>
>>379319909
Not an argument.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.