[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Phoenix point has failed us. Everybody Hail to Xenonauts 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: original-1.jpg (167KB, 1600x983px) Image search: [Google]
original-1.jpg
167KB, 1600x983px
Phoenix point has failed us. Everybody Hail to Xenonauts 2
>>
>>379258575
>that movment
RIP in pepperoni
nuXCOM and its copies are good only for pirating.
>>
>>379258575
So the game hyped with having Julian Gollop on the team is shaping up to be a new-XCOM clone?
>>
I'm not impressed with the demo. Why would you take the 1 move - 1 shoot system when there is the far superior AP system from other tactical strategy games like Divinity and Wasteland. The VATs like aimed shot system ties in with the enemy but it isn't that effective and the Will cost system just seems like a mana-based version of Nu-Xcom's abilities on cooldown.

The strategic layer better be mind-blowing or it's just going to be an inferior indie clone.
>>
>>379261717
With ballistics and 4X, basically
>>
>>379258575

Where's the demo? Backers only?
>>
>>379258575
>Xenonauts 2
Eh, bunch of the changes made it sound really unappealing to me.
>>
That's a shame, because xenonauts 2 looks just as bland and uninspiring as the original. Zero attempts made to remedy that problem.
>>
>>379262124
>balistics
Are bullets really simulated? With friendly fire and all that?
Because if they go for such a lazy fighting system I become skeptical of it.
>>
>>379262242
No demo, it's an internal build. IGN and some streamer have videos of that build, check YouTube
>>
>>379262946

Just watched it. No hit % is interesting, Gollop does sort of a poor job pretending like he doesn't know the moves he's making are retarded
>>
>>379262925
At current build, no. There's a fuckton of things that aren't implemented yet, but ballistics will be there. Now is just fixed
>>
>>379262925

Ballistics is literally all that's needed to make XCOM 2 worth bothering with, mods or otherwise.
It's a huge fucking difference between tactical shooter and fucking boardgame. And 1 player boardgames are pretty sad at this day and age.
>>
>>379258575
Looks like a carbon copy of nuCOM. What's the fucking point was then?
>>
>backer exclusive content
No shit, Phoenix Point is a failure.
>>
cool I was worried it would be some shitty game like xenonauts, now I'm interested
>>
>>379263121
But are the signs there?
By that I mean
>is every bullet hitting or missing counted to damage
>are there changeable firing types from single shot/burst/full-auto/fuller-auto
>>
>>379261781

There's literally nothing wrong with the 2 point system over the AP system.
What's wrong is Firaxis can't make a decent game.
You can easily massively improve XCOM with a few simple changes:
>Add ballistics, so just firing your weapon has a lot more tactical consequences like guranteed hits, actual suppression and cover destruction
>Remove end turn on firing, this seems like purely a decision to make multiplayer more fun when literally nobody played it. There's no benefit to shooting on the spot unless you're a sniper or rocketeer. Being able to fire then reposition, or fire twice is a huge tactical difference.
>Remove targeting system, replace with actual cones of fire, and if a weapon fires multiple rounds, allow moving the cone of fire mid-discharge. Now you can actually target groups of aliens and trade higher damage for more targets hit.

Boom, that shit won't be fixed by mods so only Firaxis could make those changes, but then you've still got 2 point system while having a far better game.
>>
File: 1470579020936.jpg (20KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1470579020936.jpg
20KB, 400x267px
>>379263169
>legend/ironman
>at the mercy of mapgen not stacking pods between you and the evac point on a strict timer
>at the mercy of RNG leaving the first one unscathed because even utmost precision can get you an 84% [MISSED] all around with rookies/squaddies who would otherwise go towards your upgrade prerequisite
>in a game where you can be mindcontrolled from the first mission

XCOM 2 was bollocks
>>
>>379263574
>There's literally nothing wrong with the 2 point system over the AP system.
For starters, it makes move-fire-move back to cover action impossible leading to taking really stupid precautions as meta.

It would make sense if we had like 20 or so guys to quickly micromanage, but not 4-8.
>>
>>379263830

>Move-fire-move
So literally more abusable tactic than Overwatch, where you draw enemies while killing them too and can never ever be attacked on your turn

sure senpai, that sounds great
>>
>>379263886
The old AP system still allowed to fire at enemy in their turns if they came into range and you had enough AP
>>
>>379263886
>abusable
If you care about that, why not implement 1 point system?
>>
>>379263886
Overwatch is abusable because the game also had no turning where you face and thus allowed to overwatch everywhere.
Incidentally it would be also a way to counter this movement (like in original).

Additionally, it makes more sense.
>>
>>379263978

Which can easily be added by making Overwatch a perk like how XCOM 2 did it, where not firing auto-grants it.
Alternatively more options like the old weapon platforms not counting as squaddies so you have them sit and watch over them.

>>379264031

You what
With end turn on firing it may as well be 1 point.
The point is either you are aggressive and move up to fire, or you fire then move back. Either way the AI can hunt-kill, instead of advance-blindfirehopingforcoverpenetrationonaluckyshot

The alternative is making it so the enemy always have overwatch+, retaliating on fire as well as movement when it's not their turn.
>>
>>379258575
All these new 4x squad based games seem dumbed down compared to silent storm. It had a great engine and the panzerkleins were a really cool mechanic, way better than what xcom did with their mechs.
Xenonauts 2 has potential to become alright, mainly due to it looks easy to mod. But this genre is quickly regressing.
>>
>>379263761

You just suck.
>>
>>379264170
That allows only for one shot though.

Old AP system you could move a little and have enough AP for an extra 3-4 reaction shots, or move a bit more, shoot and have a reaction shoot, or move a lot and have a single shot or reaction shot or any combination you want.
It was more granular, more granularity=more player options in how to manage his strategy

Also old X-COM had directional armor values that determined how hard it was to penetrate instead of a flat damage reduction all around
>>
>>379264383
At dicerolling? Definitely.
>>
>>379264095

>Additionally, it makes more sense.
Nigga you try soldiering having to run, aim then run in less than six second while having effective aim.

>>379264385

Ideally I'd assume the turns are actually simultaneous and the enemy has already moved as you were firing on them, you just got snapshots where you can fire a few rounds at them through a window/corridor/etc. Taking DnD as an example, about 6 seconds for a whole round should be a good round figure.

I'm also assuming that in this new game of 2017/18 enemy reinforcements are to be expected so sitting around skipping turns while poking a guy out once in a while, for maximum accuracy/rate of fire reaction shots to mince hordes isn't a good idea.

This sort of thing can also be expected from high magazine weapons like LMGs or sentry guns to give them value over more accurate rifles, so it could still be worked into a loadout. It doesn't sound much use if a timed or mobile objective was in play.

From the looks of it with PP, city attacks are virtually not happening, with attacking human military bases also being on the schedule, making it even less effective.
>>
There is one thing that I really don't like in new Xcom series. Why if you spotted an enemy he starts to move in your fucking turn? Why you can't ambush them if you find them first? Players usually abuse overwatch because of this shit.
>>
>>379264898

THAT'S XCOM BABY!
That's literally why, and conveniently the same for everything else on the design spec.
>>
>>379264898

I swear to fucking christ whenever there are X-Com threads it is full of people who do not play X-com.

If you played the original you'd know that the dominant strategy was scouting and sniping everything. Later on you psi mind rape everyone. The tactical layer is supposed to have tactical decisions, if you allow the player to ambush the AI then alpha striking is even more dominant than it already is.
>>
>>379265030
That strategy still works in 2, somewhat.
But compared to alternatives, it's not that great.

I only played vanilla 2.
>>
>>379265030

In X-com the enemy knew where you were after a magic number of turns passed as well, and advanced on you from all directions so they'd react fire if you poked out.
There was also the problem of having overwhelming forces to counteract a minimal invasion force in a lot of missions to boot.

Getting free movement in XCOM literally only exists for cinematic reveals, before taking up the BEST POSSIBLE COVER for defending against your whole advance, which didn't help since EVERY MAP WAS A FUCKING CORRIDOR in all but a few.

A half baked idea for a half arsed game that didn't need to exist when there was already a huge downsizing of player squads to begin with.
>>
I'm liking what I see so far. It already looks like it'll play way differently from xcom from the video.
>>
>>379264323
SS had it problems with gameplay too, since it was an poorly funded passion project.

The decision to stick to stat growth by use created hilariously broken game where you could turn your Scout into a ghost/predator/ninja by just hiding/unhiding before an disabled enemy/ally(!) and throw shirukens into german faces from 1 meter.

It was still a wonder of game engineering that today studios can only wish to touch 1/10 of it.
>>
I'm out of the loop, has a demo been released or what?
>>
>>379265030
>If you played the original you'd know that the dominant strategy was scouting and sniping everything.
And what exactly is wrong with that? Isn't that how combat develops?
You only don't like it because AI wasn't given tools to counter your most obvious moves. That should be fixed instead of resorting to weaker action system, extra enemy turns and etc.
Hell, Jagged Alliance 2 had turn interrupts 18 years ago.
>>
>>379265321
>In X-com the enemy knew where you were after a magic number of turns passed as well, and advanced on you from all directions so they'd react fire if you poked out.
Also note that AI both in UFO and in Xenonauts has vastly superior vision range so it was harder to outscout and outsnipe aliens.
>>
File: 5435345636.jpg (36KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
5435345636.jpg
36KB, 400x300px
>Fig
>not even fucking kikestarter
>fucking Fig
>>
>>379264451
No you literally suck. Dealing with RNG is what separates the kids from the pros.
>>
>>379268694
What's about fig that makes it worse than kickstarter? Aren't all crowdfunding sites basically the same
>>
File: 3j8i63cg.jpg (44KB, 807x749px) Image search: [Google]
3j8i63cg.jpg
44KB, 807x749px
>>379258575
Move like a horse in chess forever - the game
Fucking 1 move 1 shoot
>>
Xpiratez spiritual successor when?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.