[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sony on backwards compatibility

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 374
Thread images: 44

File: jim.png (392KB, 748x429px) Image search: [Google]
jim.png
392KB, 748x429px
http://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/
>"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan.
>"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"
>why would anybody play this?
Last time Sony became this arrogant, they released PS3 for $599.
Sony is still so out of touch with players. Main reason they won this gen, is because everyone else fucked up horribly.
I hope Switch and Scorpio somehow manage straighten Sony up.
>>
>they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?

What is with modern gaming companies and "MUH GRAPHICS!!!!!!" Nintendo seems like the only ones unaffected by this meme.
>>
I want to see sony's ass bleed
>>
>>379250061
Nintendo don't go for graphics because they can shit out worse hardware, charge more for it and drones will still eat it up.
>>
>>379250061
Because PS4 is the console of choice for normalfaggots. Best selling games for it are sports games and Call of Duty.
>>
Backwards Compatibility is a meme spouted by the 'muh childhood' Reddit community.

Nobody would play full PS2/PS3 games on their PS4.
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 672x906px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 672x906px
Backwards compatibility is just a convenience.

Pros:
-can ditch old console and save space
-old consoles tend to have lens issues, read issues, general hardware problems
-convenience of just one console

Cons:
-Increased console cost
-emulation tech not perfected, prone to performance issues
-can't carry over old save data (unless you're going from GC to Wii, PS1/2 to PS3)

Then there's the argument of rereleases/remasters, which perform better, have trophy/cheevo support, video capture support, but cost money (usually in the bargain bin after a few months, and they're generally cheap to begin with). Of course these are optional purchases, but the incentive to replay an old favorite is greater than just having bc altogether.

Keeping your old consoles doesn't hurt. BC is a flat out convenience rather than a necessity. The only consoles it really worked for were 3/DS, PS2 and Wii. And for each of those, I personally still owned the original consoles while using bc.
>>
>>379250198
This. Normies love graphics.
>>
>>379250175
Good thing you're ahead of the curve, right anon?
>>
>>379250287
>>379250298
Sony Defence Force going all out
>>
>>379250298
PS2 emulation on PS4 actually had higher rendering resolution, improved performance and trophy support.
>>
>>379250287
>Nobody would play full PS2/PS3 games on their PS4.
>half of PS4's library is made of PS3 remasters
>>
>>379250000
The PS released with full PS2 BC, and a lot of PS1 BC, and got ignored due to the price tag that came with it. When they started axing features in order to reduce the price, sales went up. This continued with the PS4.

As someone with a launch PS3, I openly admit BC is very important to me, and would have spent 700 dollars for a PS4 with full BC with PS3 and PS2 games, but I don't represent most people. Now I just need to take care of my PS3, which is the best system ever released in my opinion.
>>
>Nobody would play full PS2 games on their PS4
lamao
>>
>>379250298
Idort here, and I disagree with your last points. My xb1 does BC much better than the 360 did it, and your save data moves over if you put your saves on the cloud. Not a perfect solution, but so far the best working and most effective one. If I didn't have games I still play on my 360, it would have been put away right now. More options is always better than less, anon. Wish I could put my ps3 away as well. There are many games I did not get around to every generation.
>>
>>379250287

Yeesh modern Sonybros are such plebs they don't even know the rich legacy Sony systems used to have.
>>
>>379250368
What are you smoking? No one cares about using bc, they just care about having it just in case they decide to replay some old shit, and they don't want to unplug wires.

How is that Sony defense? Thats a general statement on bc. Ask yourself why you want it. In fact, share your reason for wanting it other than being too lazy to swap consoles
>>
>>379250720
>No one cares about using bc
No.

This one won't fly my little Sony roach.
>>
>>379250569
>This continued with the PS4.
Or they could go with software emulation like Microsoft. I understand that PS3's Cell is actually stronger and more expensive than PS4's CPU, so it's impossible without remasters, but PS2 is still doable. Especially since they apparently hired the guy in charge of PCSX2.
>>
To be fair it's kind of too late in the gen to add it in, we're already in year 4 and probably 2 or 3 years away from the PS5

But I swear to god if the PS5 isn't backwards compatible with PS4 games at least then I will throw a bitchfit
>>
>>379250287
I'm still playing PS3 games on my PS3 though and I would play my physical PS2 games if it wasn't such a pain.
>>
File: bo2 emu.png (15KB, 1002x113px) Image search: [Google]
bo2 emu.png
15KB, 1002x113px
>>379250720
>No one cares about using bc, they just care about having it just in case they decide to replay some old shit, and they don't want to unplug wires.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>379250061

>What is with modern gaming companies and "MUH GRAPHICS!!!!!!

They've always done this, and there have always been graphics whores, though it seems both have gotten worse in the last decade, but I may be imagining things.

>>379250521

That's probably the real reason. They figure they can sell people the same games again.
>>
>>379250862
They already have a very limited PS2 digital collection for the PS4, just add PS1 and get more PS2 games
>>
>>379250000
> Doesn't know snes boots up in 6500 emulation mode
> doesn't know it was never utilized because they made more money reselling remakes
>>
>>379250896
The thing is they already did the same with PS2 games on PS4. You can't just insert disc and play selected games. No, you have to buy and download them from PS Store, yet they refuse to do more.
>>
>>379250824
At that point, I may as well use my BC PS3. If I have to maintain my BC PS3 in order to play PS3 games, then PS2 and PS1 games are covered in that umbrella. The good news is BC PS3s are fairly cheap. You can get one for 1-200 bucks.
>>
>nooo the goyim must not know good games
I mean, can't really blame them there.
>>
>>379250772
So you own a system, a new one comes out. What do you do with your old console? Trade it in for chump change? Only if you're stupid.

You keep it, and play it when you don't have anything else to play. Who cares if your new console can play the same games that a console you already own can play? Backwards compatability is a convenience and nothing more. It's different when talking about handhelds for obvious reasons, but at that point you just choose which handheld to bring with you for the day.
>>
>>379251059
What about people who didn't buy earlier consoles?
>>
>>379251059
When I got the launch PS3, I gave my PS2 to a friend for Christmas. I've kept all other systems, although my SNES that I got back in 1992 shit the bed and I had to buy one on ebay (I actually got 2 without any cords for 10 bucks back in 2007, before the nostalgia spike).
>>
I ditch a system when emulators for ir becomes acceptable. So far, ps3 emulator still has a long way to go, pcsx2 still has glitches and development almost halted. PSV might never have any emulators at all.
>>
>>379250862
PS5 won't have bc. You really want to reinstall all those old games just to have them take up hard drive space? Just keep the PS4 separate.
>>
File: 1491422130504.gif (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491422130504.gif
2MB, 1920x1080px
Whos proud of the xbone for having bc??
>>
>>379251207
>pcsx2 still has glitches and development almost halted
Did you use 1.5.0? Even Ace Combat games run perfectly now in hardware mode.
>>
>>379251312

I'd get an Xbone if the PS4 didn't have the more interesting exclusives to me. The only one Xbone has that I want is Rare Replay, just for Jet Force Gemini with better controls and visuals that don't look like shit on modern TVs.
>>
>>379250000
>ARROGANT S-SONY ARE BACK I SWEAR
He said it while looking at Gran Turismo on PS1. It is a dumb thing to say but you just look retarded whenever you say arrogant Sony.
>>
>>379251148
>the world's stock of old consoles vanishes when a new one is released
>>379251206
So your reason for wanting bc is so that you can gift old consoles to friends? I mean sure it was a nice gesture but that just proves that it's just a quality of life improvement.
>>
sony on their kickstarter scams
>>
>>379251503
>So your reason for wanting bc is so that you can gift old consoles to friends
My reason for wanting BC is so I don't need to maintain old consoles in order to play old games. I'm willing to pay for it, but not everybody is, and I get that.
>>
>>379251503
>the world's stock of old consoles vanishes when a new one is released
Would you rather pay $20 for just a game or $100 for a console and another $20 for a game?
>>
>>379250287
so then why do you buy remasters?

I take it you neogaffers are against the crash collection right?
>>
>>379251059
You are retarded.
>>
>>379250000
>Sony correctly assumes that nobody gives a shit about PS1/PS2 BC
>autists on /v/ think it´s their downfall

Sony won, just accept it.
>>
>I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan.
Backwards compatibility is a system seller. Both Sony and Microsoft had a very slow start this generation as people stuck with their PS3s and 360s. If you tell people they can sell their old console and keep playing the same games on their new one they're more likely to buy in early. It hides the fact that there's a lacking library and shoulders a good bit of the cost. It's utterly absurd that they don't see this, but I'm sure they do. They'll play stupid because a lack of backwards compatibility means they can remaster and sell us 2-3 year old games at full price again. Someone really needs to knock this shitty industry down a few pegs.
>>
sony niggers don't care about quality or value. They only care about brand loyalty.

They are the apple fags except they have zero to be proud about.
>>
>>379250000
>Switch has no BC
>Sells really well

>PS4 has no BC
>Sells really well

>Xbone has no BC
>Sells like shit
>Patches in emulation two years later
>Still sells like shit

Really tingles my almond
>>
>>379251891
(You)
>>
sony can still fuck up. They only have europe because everyone there is poor.
>>
>>379251891
why are xniggers so overprotective of their shit emulation anyway? talk to them about it and they act like it's the holy fucking grail
>>
Ps2 game library is overrated as fuck, though
>>
>>379251838
>sony niggers don't care about quality or value.
There isn´t a single platform out there that offers more value or quality than the PS4.

Deal with it Nintenbro.
>>
>muh ancient manbaby games
>i have to speedrun this shitty game like my twitch stream

eat shit kid
>>
>>379251838

Replacing 'nintendo' with 'sony' in your pasta is lazy shitposting. You're better than this.
>>
I don't know why you people don't understand this. Those are just nice words for "forget about it". Remember when people did a petition for world of warcraft vanilla servers? Blizzard came out and said "we hear you folks but it's hard for us to do so" or that one time when some big ass studio was asked why they didn't have a playable female character? I think it was ubisoft with assassins creed. They obviously have to adress this shit because people keep asking so they make up some garbage excuse that's basically anything but a fuck you to the face of people who are asking.
>>
File: WHERE DA VIDYA GAMES THO.gif (508KB, 162x152px) Image search: [Google]
WHERE DA VIDYA GAMES THO.gif
508KB, 162x152px
>>379250000
Yes, Sony's soooo out of touch, which is why they consistently have the best selling homeconsole and their worst generation still sold 83 million, which is more than any Nintendo homeconsole except for the Wii.
PS3 had both PS1 and PS2 native backwards compatibility (so the best possible kind) and it didn't make a difference. It was a featture that cost them a lot and didn't sell units by itself so they dropped it.

Keep in mind that every Playstation has been backwards compatible, PS4 is the very first that isn't. Of course they have a good reason for that considering PS3's architecture. It's very retarded and naive of YOU to want BC on PS4, you complain about PS3's price but adding BC to PS4 would raise the price by $100, so be careful what you wish for. Of course, unless you want the shitty emulated selective BC like 360 and Xbone have, which is just a sorry excuse of real BC.
Note that Switch also isn't BC. NONE of the current consoles have actual BC, and Xbone is the only one with emulated BC. Why would anyone else bother to take the first step when no one else is doing it? Actual BC is costly and he's right about barely anyone using it or ACTUALLY caring about it (outside of forum/imageboard shitposting for e-points)

Anyway just tough it up for this generation as PS5 will be BC once more since the PS4 has a standard achitechture which PS5 will most probably share. Same for Switch, Nintendo's next console will very likely use a tegra again.
>>
I love Sony but they need accountability at the moment. They got away with paid online and no BC way too easily. God help us if Crash sells well, what kind of a precedent does that start?
>>
>>379252217
>PS3 had both PS1 and PS2 native backwards compatibility
No, PS1 was emulated. And at least half the PS3s with PS2 hardware are dead by now thanks to the fantastic engineering on the fat, while everything else was doomed to shoddy PS2 emulation. Which, by the way, you couldn't even play actual discs on, you had to buy the digital releases. Thanks, Sony.

>Anyway just tough it up for this generation as PS5 will be BC once more since the PS4 has a standard achitechture which PS5 will most probably share.
Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on that one. Sony's on a retard spree again thanks to their free lead.
>>
>>379250000
bc is not a big thing so it makes sense
>>
>>379252518
>And at least half the PS3s with PS2 hardware are dead by now thanks to the fantastic engineering on the fat,

I can't believe that so many fat PS3s died, and people said, "Better throw it out and drop 300 bucks on a new console, instead of spending the 120 bucks to get it reballed by Sony!"
>>
File: 1475776187545.jpg (117KB, 1023x619px) Image search: [Google]
1475776187545.jpg
117KB, 1023x619px
>literally can't even play my digital PS1 games on PS4
NO EXCUSE
NO FUCKING EXCUSE REEEEEEEE
>>379251891
>the consoles I actually give a shit about have no BC
>the console I will probably never buy has BC and tons of other QoL features I like
Why must I suffer?
>>
File: boxart_4497.jpg (1MB, 874x1422px) Image search: [Google]
boxart_4497.jpg
1MB, 874x1422px
>>379250000
The Switch does not have backwards compatibility and no one gives a shit. I don't see the problem here.
>>379250521
>>379251629
>its okay when Nintendo does remasters
>>
>>379252449
>God help us if Crash sells well, what kind of a precedent does that start?

More Crash Bandicoot games and hopefully a Spyro remaster of the original PS1 games.
>>
File: 2sqfmqy4.png (62KB, 300x244px) Image search: [Google]
2sqfmqy4.png
62KB, 300x244px
>Not used much

Blacks Ops 2 had over 100k players on Xbox One with BC

The real reason is because Sony doesn't have enough talented coders to write an emulator like Microsoft do
>>
>>379252052

Goddamn kids on my 4chan.
>>
>>379252046
They're the retards who thought it would bail out their shitty movie player and now they're stuck with it after it didn't come to pass, like every other one of their claimed "game changers."
>>
File: Yakuza thumbs.gif (764KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Yakuza thumbs.gif
764KB, 500x281px
>>379252518
>No, PS1 was emulated. And at least half the PS3s with PS2 hardware are dead by now thanks to the fantastic engineering on the fat
Don't know, I never owned a PS3. So there you go, BC is a fucking nightmare that isn't worth adding extra hardware for and is only ever worth it if the games can natively run on the next console's hardware without being emulated.

And 1 out of 500 people will ever pop an old disk in and play it for 10 minutes before going back to playing current games. BC is shit.

>Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on that one. Sony's on a retard spree again thanks to their free lead.
What retard spree? You mean the recent japanese renaissance? You mean the best quarter of gaming (Q1 2017) of possibly all time, but for sure from the last decade?

Just because Sony doesn't currently do this one very specific and niche thing you want doesn't mean they're on a "retard spree".
>>
>>379251891
Switch is not selling well though
>>
>>379251781
>as people stuck with their PS3s
So that's probably the real reason they decided to kill PS3 in Japan early?
>>
>>379252897
>So there you go, BC is a fucking nightmare
BC had nothing to do with it, it's the terrible airflow on the thing. Some even went as far as replacing the power supply for more efficient models.

>And 1 out of 500 people will ever pop an old disk in and play it for 10 minutes before going back to playing current games.
Seeing as the PS4 suffered a 4 year drought, it got a dozen or so remasters per year and the streaming PS3 game service hasn't been cancelled, they expanded it to other platforms even, I'm gonna call you full of shit.

>What retard spree? You mean the recent japanese renaissance?
No, I mean the 4 years without a game renaissance, the paid online renaissance, the dump all funding on western hacks to kill the media and leave your japanese studios with scraps renaissance, the getting rescued by multiplat publishers renaissance, the "dynamic" 4k mid gen model renaissance. Sony can't help but fuck up when far ahead of the others, they're just getting away with it for now because everyone is still sore about the Xbone's disaster. Let's see how long that lasts.
>>
>>379250000
Backwards compatibility is why I stick to PC and emulators. They fact they wanna sell the same game I already own annoys me. Its the same game on a different system.

Sometimes its better but mostly its not.
>>
File: XboxOneFailures.png (67KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
XboxOneFailures.png
67KB, 600x800px
>>379250000
>le game journalists pros group narrative of sony arrogance
>>
>>379250000
Kek, Sony is so butthurt that Microsoft figured out a way to get 360 games to play on their latest console.
>>
>>379250000
>Sony is still so out of touch with players. Main reason they won this gen, is because everyone else fucked up horribly.
the reason they won this gen is precisely because they weren't arrogant.
He's right too. BC is a nice feature to have but hardly anybody fucking uses it and it doesn't sell systems
>>
File: 1332983352009.png (415KB, 1922x1296px) Image search: [Google]
1332983352009.png
415KB, 1922x1296px
>>379250000
>why would anyone want to play this
*releases 1000 remastered HD True Edition TM content*
NIGGERS
>>
>>379253929
Yeah. Thank goodness they have all that money to wipe their tears with.
>>
>>379252449
Crash is a full on remake, not a remaster.
>>
>>379254051
Yes, Microsoft has tons of money to wipe their tears with. They are so nice they even let Sony have access to Minecraft when they can keep it Xbox/PC only and sell 100 million Xbones in a year.
>>
>>379250824
>PS3's Cell is actually stronger and more expensive than PS4's CPU
it's not, the cell is just super fast at brute forcing simple arithmatic and shader calculations. Any other cpu tasks were terrible to run on the cell.
>>
>>379253579
>BC had nothing to do with it,
You'd literally have to put PS3's guts inside of a PS4. So yes, a nightmare.

>Seeing as the PS4 suffered a 4 year drought
It suffered a 0 second drought. The vast majority of people have it as their main console, meaning that they also play multiplats on it. It launched with the best Assassin's Creed to date (which is good for those who care about it), and for the first time ever Battlefield was the same on consoles and PC, no longer cutting playercounts to 32 and maps by 2/3rds like in 7th gen. So console players finally experienced the full Battlefield game on PS4's launch. And I could go on with other multiplats and western Sony exclusive games like InfamousSS that I really don't care about but other people did.

PS4 only ever had a drought if you ignore its actual library. You're one of those "it doesn't count if it isn't exclusive" retards that don't live in reality I guess. As if people aren't buying Switch's for Zelda and MK8 even though they are both multiplat games. There'll also be an explosion of sales later on with MHXX and PokemonStars, even though once again they are already existing multiplat games.

A drought is an ACTUAL drought. WiiU ACTUALLY went through massive droughts because it had no 3rd party support. PS4 never ever did neither will it ever go through one.

>it got a dozen or so remasters per year
Which people like and buy en masse. Which is why they are made in the first place. There's a difference between playing the old games and remasters. I'd rather pay 40€ to play 3 Wipeout games in 1 place all at 60fps1080p, than emulate one of them for free, play the PS3 version at lower rez of the second one, and play the third one at 30fps WITH framerate drops on the Vita. If PS4 had BC of those systems and those same 3 Wipeout games I wouldn't be bothered to replay them. But with Wipeout Omega Collection (a remaster) I'm willing to spend money. It's different.
>>
>PS4 let's me play PS2 games
>suddenly the PS4 has games
whoa
>>
>>379252449
the crash remake isn't even being made by sony...
>>
>>379253929
>ps4 outselling xbone 2 to 1 in america
>3 to 1 in europe

yeah I'm sure they're super butthurt
>>
>>379251891
>switch sold well but xbox didnt
You're a retard
>>
>>379250000
Nice quads but it's stupid for Sony to offer backwards compatibility on newer consoles for older hardware. It just makes consoles more expensive to play old as fuck games. If you want to play old games that badly, pick up a PS1 or PS2.

Nintendo is the same deal. People kept expecting there to be backwards compatibility for GameCube games until the end of time. Again, old shit that most people today won't play. If you want to play those games, pick up a GameCube.
>>
>>379254474
Selling better than the 360 did in its life time, outsold all of segas consoles except the genesis, already sold more than the original xbox, and will sell more than the nes, gamecube, and wii u (would also include switch if it wasnt a handheld, which the the japs will eat up).

Yup, big failure everybody! The FailBox, am I right fellow sony brother?
>>
>>379250061
It's you fucking pcfaggots who started it and will continue to perpetuate it. You're the very cancer you hate in the other consoles.
>>
>>379254173
>minecraft
>system seller

one or the other gumbo, not both.
Minecraft hasn't ever been relevant as a hardware seller, and the objectively superior version on pc will run on a $300 laptop
>>
>>379252695
>>its okay when Nintendo does remasters
>implying a port with some extra content is a remaster

i understand why you say this becuase nintentards always defend nintendo even if they make the same mistakes as sony/microsoft.
>>
>>379253579
(cont.)
>No, I mean the 4 years without a game renaissance
I know a shitposter when they say PS4 has been out for more time than it has. I don't know why but shitposters LOOOVE to say 4 years instead of 3 (which would be more accurate). Even back at january I already saw people saying "muh 4 years" when by then PS4 was 3 years and 3 months old, a far cry from 4 years.

>he dump all funding on western hacks to kill the media and leave your japanese studios with scraps renaissance
But currently japanese games are as strong as PS1 and PS2 era? And western games are just as shit as usual? 7th gen was the western powerhouse, and the whole generation was shit because of it, with very few exceptions.

>the getting rescued by multiplat publishers renaissance
That's every console of all time. This is a GOOD thing. How many NES/SNES classics are 3rd party? Ever thought of that? Nintendo completely lost it with the N64 and onward because they lost nearly all 3rd party support.

> the "dynamic" 4k mid gen model renaissance.
How does this affect you or me in ANY way, shape or form? No game swill be exclusive to PS4pro. If you don't care about it, much like I don't, then don't bother with it. Other people /hundreds of thousands) DO care about it and bought one. It's simply a second option.

> Sony can't help but fuck up when far ahead of the others
PS1 was outselling N64 by 300%. How is that not far ahead?
PS2 was outselling the GC by 750%. Sony never became THIS far ahead ever since
PS3 was underselling the Wii by 20%, first time ever that Sony wasn't far ahead.

So why are they fucking up now when their monopoly isn't nearly as vast as it was during the PS1 and PS2 eras, and why are those eras considered golden ages of vidya when Sony was so far ahead (which according to you is bad) ?

>they're just getting away with it for now because everyone is still sore about the Xbone's disaster. Let's see how long that lasts.
Getting away with WHAT?
>>
>>379254587
calm down anon, don't get mad.
I never said the xbone was a failure

It's just less of a success than the ps4, by a margin of 2:1 or 3:1 to be exact ;-)
>>
>>379253579
>dump all funding on western hacks to kill the media and leave your japanese studios with scraps renaissance

Oh god, don't remind me. If you're in Japan, there is not much reason to own a PS4. Many of the games are ps3/psv multiplats. Yes, that includes Persona 5. Meanwhile, the PS3 has a lot of single player exclusives that can probably last until PS5 is released, so does the Vita. Used ps3 games are really cheap.

On golden week, Sony Japan had to put western PS4 games for GW sale, because they don't have anything else.

Meanwhile, they steered all Vita devs into developing for the ps4, often with disastrous results.
>>
But he's right. I have nostalgia for PS1 games, and my friend is an obsessive retro enthusiast, but we're essentially only representative of two niches.

Normies don't have that frame of reference nor the desire to legitimately enjoy something retro. They just want to stay up to date. Look at how many of them refuse to watch movies made before 1980.
>>
File: Scorpio+Switch.png (30KB, 1280x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Scorpio+Switch.png
30KB, 1280x1080px
>>379250000
I hope Microsoft and Nintendo rip their arrogant anal cavity apart next week.
>>
>>379254760
Faggot even though most people probably won't give a shit about ps1, ALL of us want to be able to play ps3 games on the ps4, this is evident when you look at all this remastered shit coming out every month.
>>
>>379254697
>something is insanely popular
>therefore, anything else is a loser by default

Im just tired of this mentality. Yes, the PS4 has obviously won this gen. But that doesnt mean the xbone failed hard, it was just disappointing. Who knows how hard the scorpio can revitalize the brand? Normalfags are all graphics and loved the 360, scorpios power + BC may be enough to turn the tide
>>
>>379250298
>defending this shit
Kill yourself
>>
>>379254885
Yeah and guess how well those remasters sell. No one gives a shit. Those are just cheap "upgrades" that can been done in half a year to a year to cover the financials with something inexpensive to develop while charging a premium.
>>
At this point I wouldn't mind having backwards compatibility considering gen 8 consoles have fuck all for games
>>
Who gives a fuck about bc on the ps4. Why would you ramp up the price by having literal ps2 ir ps3 hardware inside the ps4? If you want ps3 games buy a fucking ps3, it would still cost less than an overdesigned ps4 with ps3 hardware inside.

Also, to confirm that bc is a meme, the fucking switch has literally no bc whatsoever, and nobody gave a fuck about it.
>>
>Sony admits their games haven't aged well

Well no shit, they didn't know a thing about video games then and they don't know a thing about them now.
>>
sony knows they can literally steal credit cards and their fans would be okay with it.

They did it before, wouldn't be shocked if they had another ''security breach'' when another CEO wants to line his pockets.
>>
>>379255134
>massively outsold competition in 3 of the 4 gens they competed in
>t-they didn't know a thing about video games then and they don't know a thing about them now!!!!1!
>>
>>379255156
You forgot the jew plutocrat conspiracy.
>>
>>379254819
only reason I support xbox is because sony exist.

it doesn't surprise me how stupid a lot of people are. If everyone was smart and made the right choice, we'd all be millionaires.
>>
>>379255008
>By the end of its first week of release, God of War III Remastered was ninth in sales at retail in the UK.[81] For the entire month of July 2015, the downloadable version was the seventh best-selling PlayStation 4 title from the PlayStation Store.[82]
>Nathan Drake Colleciton sold 6 million copies
>The Last Of Us sold 6 million copies\
>hurr they don't sell
>>
>>379255183
it's a nintendo board

not even a sony fag, but I barely come here anymore because of this shit
>>
File: BqnfRu8CEAIeO0M.jpg (55KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
BqnfRu8CEAIeO0M.jpg
55KB, 600x399px
>>379255271
remember when /v/ sent nintendo a thank you card for a literal advert?
fucking lol
>>
>>379255134
>aged
Kill yourself kid
>>
>>379254819
You'll be crawling back to your cuckshed in tears again, Xnigger.
>>
>>379255229
I agree, plus Sony doesn't have that Halo/Metroid franchise that would get me to actually purchase a PlayStation.
>>
>>379255505
I think you;ll be the only crying tears Sony gger.
>>
>"When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan.

This is completely right and you know it.

>"That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

It may hurt, but what he's saying reflects how most people feel. The vast majority of gamers aren't on /v/. It's very selfish to expect a company to put in a bunch of money into backwards compatibility when most people don't care to use it. There is nothing stopping you from keeping your PS3/4.
>>
>>379255612
tears of laughter at MS's barren E3
>>
And yet, they want you to rebuy few PS2 games on PSN and remasters that make up most of the PS4 library.
>>
>>379250000
Funny thing you mention Switch when we've been confirmed BTFO for only having backwards compatibility at this moment in time.
>>
>>379255738
remasters are designed for people who didn't play the original, remember most ps4 owners didn't actually have a ps3.

Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy remasters, or coming into your house and snapping old ps3 discs
>>
>>379250287
> Man I'd love to throw in TimeSplitters 2 or Nightfall into my ps4 and play that
> NO YOU WOULDN'T SHUT UP THE PS4 IS PERFECT
>>
PS4 doesn't have backwards compatibility?

Xbone does.
>>
>>379254610
It'll run on a 120 dollar laptop.
>>
File: 1340894218000.jpg (283KB, 957x1078px) Image search: [Google]
1340894218000.jpg
283KB, 957x1078px
>>379255705
>Switching consoles when you wanna play a different game is awesome!!! Who wants to play his games in as single console? Not me!
>>
>but not actually used much
The active populations of Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption and a bunch of other games shot up massively when they were added to BC.

>PS1/PS2 Gran Turismo
Those were when the series was actually good. It certainly doesn't help that even Forza 3 is a superior game to the latest GT...
>>
>>379250000
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>379255870
Define BC. I can play FFX, Wild Arms 3, and The Last of Us on my PS4. It just taskes an online purchase. Still plays them, though.
>>
>>379255978
shot up from 2 to 100? That's still nothing on the scale of millions of consoles.
>>
Yeah I was pretty upset after learning the PS3 wasn't going to have it.
>>
Stupid nigger op. Worthless bc with the ps2 is one of the reasons why ps3 costed 499,it had a literal ps2 inside.
>>
>>379255736
I know I'm going to be enjoying those delicious tears when Nintendo and Microsoft anally prolapse Sony's ass at E3.
>>
>>379256071
If you're gonna call someone a stupid nigger, its best not to use fake words like "costed" in your post.
>>
>>379256081
Nintendo's E3 could be good, but microsoft? Seriously?

They literally came out and said there will be no more xbone exclusives, everything will be on PC.
>>
>>379256060
That's not BC, that's buying a separate game (a remaster, but sony sees it as a separate game)

BC is being able to play a previous gen game using the same disc without any additional fees.
>>
>>379250298
>Increased console cost
Strange. I just rewatched the backwards compatibility announcement from Microsoft's 2015 and there was no mention of the prices having to go up.
>emulation tech not perfected, prone to performance issues
True. Halo Reach is still unplayable. But most games actually run better on Xbone than they did on 360.
>can't carry over old save data (unless you're going from GC to Wii, PS1/2 to PS3)
Or 360 to Xbone. You forgot that one.
>>
>>379256131
Ok, so like the PS3, which tanked when it offered full BC, or do you mean more like games that offer cross play, like Journey (which the PS4 allows at no additional fee)?
>>
>>379250000
>I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,"

I played SO MANY PS1 games on my PS2. Tomb Raider I and II, Spyro the Dragon trilogy, Metal Slug games, Gex Enter the Gecko, etc.

Yeah I wish they had better graphics but they're fucking fun to play.
>>
>/v/ literally unironically defends a man saying "the games you played in your childhood are shit"
and they say this place is nintendogaf
>>
>>379256130
Nintendo has Switch and Microsoft has Scorpio both companies will be giving their all. Sony will show third party games and movies, again.
>>
File: 1383529968238.gif (26KB, 376x474px) Image search: [Google]
1383529968238.gif
26KB, 376x474px
>>379256187
>which tanked when it offered full BC

It tanked because Sony thought it was a good idea to sell them for $600 and the only games on it were those backwards compatible ones
>>
>>379255942
Like anon said above that's just a convenience not worth increasing the cost of the console. You guys are behaving as if it's simply a matter of flipping the "backwards compatible" switch and Sony is just being evil. It costs money, especially when software-based backwards compatibility is not a one and done thing. You now have thousands of other titles going decades you have to support whenever some random bug pops up.

Is it really that difficult for you to keep a console whose games you like? Is it really that difficult to get an emulator? I'm sure PCSX2 can play pretty much every PS2 game to near perfection these days.
>>
>>379256272
Ever since GG when neogaf flooded the site to defend liberal dykes, it turned into sonygaf more than nintendogaf. You can tell by the vitriol, pathetic hate slung over at xbox
>>
>>379250000

He's kind of right even though the anti-corporate yet anti-anti-corporate children on /v/ will never admit. Why would you pay $500 for a console to play 10-20 year old games? Are you really going to ignore new titles just to play rayman for the 50th time? If you care that much about old games you already have an emulator or the original console. And if you don't care about graphics, then why do you need HD support for your old games?

There's just a lot of people here not being honest with themselves so they can play brand wars or try to come off as some anti-corporate intellectual cyber punk faggot.
>>
>>379256347
>scorpio
all those multiplats at higher resolution!
the only interesting thing about microsoft's E3 conference is seeing which embarrassing celebrity cameo they pull off.

>switch
like I said, could be good.
>>
>>379256379
They literally had a PS2 built into it, as well as a BR drive, when the next closest BR player in price was selling for over a grand.

If you want actual BC, you need to pay for it, otherwise you're looking at the company picking and choosing which games you can play, which isn't true BC.

I bought my PS3 at launch, and don't regret it. If you didn't, but are bitching about lack of true BC, then you are the problem. You're unwilling to put your money where your mouth is.
>>
>Sony, which collects data on what is used on its consoles, determines use of backwards compatibility is not that high when implemented
>4chan anons with no data think that they know better

*sips tea*
>>
>>379256654
more like
>/v/ hates whatever sony is doing

nothing new
>>
>>379252695
>no WiiU pad
>no second screen
It's not BC because it's impossible for it to play 3DS and WiiU games.
>>
>>379256654
>Sony doesn't implement BC
>they have data which shows no one uses BC on PS4s
>because of this they choose to not implement BC

hmmmmm
>>
>>379256719
for most games the wii u gamepad just functions as a glorified map, or something even more useless, so it doesn't matter. You could just have a button that brings up the gamepad screen like on the PC wii u emulator.
>>
>>379256787
The triple had BC you nog
>>
>>379256787
They implemented BC on PS3s. I use the fuck out of it, and would use it more if they would let me use Dual shock 4's for it.
>>
>>379254726
>they steered all Vita devs into developing for the ps4, often with disastrous results.

>GravityRush2
>Trails of Cold Steel 3
>bad
>>
>>379256415
I like to switch around between new and old games. I think that is reasonable. I don't think of myself as better for doing it.
>>
>>379256719
moving the goalposts.jpg
>>
>>379250000
It's not really wrong though. The majority of people who ask for backwards compatibility don't actually want it, they just want to play one specific game they have fond memories of from their childhood.

What's more, they'll play that game for a few hours then never touch it again now that they have their nostalgia kick.

Backwards compatibility generally costs more than it's worth to the mainstream.
>>
>>379250000
>Sony is still so out of touch with players.

They really aren't. Modern gamers just prefer the shitty games Sony puts out now. So I am not surprised one bit by this arrogance of theirs.

In fact just look at this board. So many here regularly shit on games with anything below "muh Crysis" graphics.

I'm one of the rare few left on here that actually prefers old game graphics these days for many genres. Like JRPG for example.
>>
File: COLOR.jpg (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
COLOR.jpg
93KB, 640x480px
>>379257102
After dealing with the PS3's brown and bloom for years, I gave Chrono Cross a gamble when it was on sale for a buck on the PS Store.

I literally had to stop and just soak in this screen when I first saw it. I had no idea how much I had missed color until I saw this screen.
>>
>>379256713
>sony can do no wrong
Yep, we're on /v/
>>
>>379250000
OPBP
>>
File: Chef Costanza.jpg (17KB, 280x391px) Image search: [Google]
Chef Costanza.jpg
17KB, 280x391px
>>379256619
>argues that the PS2 parts jacked up the price
>in the same sentence they point out BR players were selling for 1000 US Dollars
Really man?
>>
>>379250000
the "mild pushing" is the worst tactic any corporation with popular product can use. Mainly, because it works
>>
>>379250000
>I hope Switch and Scorpio somehow manage straighten Sony up.
What BC is the Switch or Scorpio offering? Cite your sources.
>>
>>379257059
>fond memories of from their childhood
Explains why Black Ops 2 is the 3rd most played game on Xbox One last time I checked.
>>
>>379257502
>Scorpio
Are you honestly assuming the Scorpio is not going to have the Xbone's 360 BC on it?
>>
>>379257654
Have they stated that they will? I presume nothing, and then move outward as proof is presented. I've been that way since I purchased the PS3 assuming Ace Combat 6 would be on it exclusively.
>>
File: 0iols924t3ny.jpg (142KB, 933x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0iols924t3ny.jpg
142KB, 933x1200px
>>379250287

I'm fascinated how corporations can encourage retards like the one above to argue against their own self interest.
>>
>>379250000
remakes sell gazillion and make sony have uber money just look at ffx reshitstered
>>
>>379256654
> The two systems with BC that benefits from being constantly connected to the Internet is PS3 and PSV, allowing data collection
> PS3 fat killed so early, people opt to buy ps2 with modchips, or play games on emulators.
> No UMD slot on PSV, people opt to buy PSP and install cfw, or play games on emulators
>>
>>379257502
Scorpio is a literal XB1 but just upgraded. It's safe to assume it's gonna have the 360 emulator.
>>
>>379250000
You need to understand corporate speak, anon. What he really means is "we can't do it because of how the console is put together" but that would mean admitting a poor design decision so he can't say it.

And before anyone says "XBone can do it!" let me preempt you by saying that no, XBone can't do it. XBone has to download a modified version of the game runs on XBone. Sony could do this as well, but they'd rather sell it to you in the form of classics and whatnot.
>>
>>379257774
i read that as BBC my bad
>>
>>379250000
Sony completely lost it. They even admitted they don't know why the PS4 sold so well. It was all about brainwashing with marketing. The console itself and its library is a pile of shit.
>>
>>379257726
Phil said a long long time ago the scorpio will play everything already on the X1 and 360 BC

Theoretically it is the best console to have since it has so much content, old and new
>>
>>379257726
Obviously you shouldn't buy a Scorpio now, aside from the physical impossibility of it, on the promise of BC. But the Scorpio is just the PS4 Pro of the Xbone, it's not really logical to argue it's not going to have BC in this sort of discussion, especially with the good PR it's been generating for the Xbone.

It'd be like, I don't know, the Pro not supporting remote play with the Vita. It takes more to assume it won't have features the base model has than assume it will.
>>
>>379257787
I assume nothing. MS hasn't stated one way or the other, as far as I know. If you can cite me something that they will continue to have BC, then I'll accept that they will, just like I accept that they are going to lock the frame rate with every game released to that of the base Xbone, as well as make every game compatible with the base Xbone, as they promised.
>>
>>379257896
I thought the Xbone S was the PS4 Pro of Xbone.

>>379257864
If you can cite it, I'll believe you.
>>
>>379250368
>>379250772
>>379255859
>sonybros this and that
Sony established BC in the first place and they have a lot of data on it. Fact is a lot of people don't use that feature at all.
>>
>>379257840
I believe it was the "PS4 is 50% more powerful than Xbox" shit. I heard this get mentioned EVERYWHERE.
>>
>>379257840
>why the PS4 sold so well
On the console side, because Microsoft fucked up. Against PC, because they pandered to casuals, and Microsoft fucked up PC with Windows 8, then fucked it further with Windows 10.
>>
>>379256536
>celebrity cameo
What the literal fuck are you even talking about.
>>
>>379257985
Windows 10 got me to forever abandon MS. Been on Linux Mint since Win10 launched.
>>
>>379257840
>They even admitted they don't know why the PS4 sold so well
source?
>>
>>379258025
microsoft have traditionally had a shitty celebrity perform at their E3 presentations
>>
>>379257234
Not just color but also more fantasy type settings and graphics to.

Places like the image you posted are pretty much a rarity with modern games. Games tend to go more for "realistic" now rather than fantasy with quirky gameplay mechanics. Turn based JRPG's are a long way away from those days.
>>
>>379257840
>>379257983
microsoft dropped the ball really fucking hard with the whole always-online business they had to back off and which allowed sony to score a lot of points with the customers ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA )
they also kept killing their exclusives through giving them to pc
meanwhile nintendo kept catering to a niche

it's easy to see how sony won this war and why they get off scot-free with doing the dumbest shit now
>>
>>379257954
>I thought the Xbone S was the PS4 Pro of Xbone.
What? The S is the PS4 Slim of the Xbone. The Pro is a beefier PS4 with 4k "capabilities," though honestly I've been meme'd so hard on that I don't recall the specifics of what that actually means. They're both essentially the New 3DS of their consoles, which is the last explicitly more powerful revision I can think of. Was the DSi more powerful than the original? Actually more powerful revisions are rare, because the point of revisions is usually to sell a less expensive model to scoop of buyers who weren't earlier adopters. Make it smaller, cheaper, offer a package deal with some big name title, etc. Generally just make it more attractive.
>>
>>379258136
What was last year's celebrity?
>>
File: girla gotta get paid.jpg (64KB, 594x413px) Image search: [Google]
girla gotta get paid.jpg
64KB, 594x413px
>>379258136
E3 is traditionally shitty in everything but game reveals they do. We get some memes here and there, but goddamn they must spend so much money on shit no one cares about and would fast forward through if possible.
>>
>>379257915
>MS hasn't stated one way or the other, as far as I know.
>as far as I know

Typical. Phil Spencer has said it will support Xbone and BC 360 games more times than you have blinked in your entire lifetime.
>>
>>379258135
https://www.vg247.com/2014/08/19/even-sony-doesnt-know-why-ps4-is-selling-so-well/
Inb4 "shit source", just look for the same title on google and many sources will pop out.
>>
>>379258375
>https://www.vg247.com/2014/08/19/even-sony-doesnt-know-why-ps4-is-selling-so-well/

he just said this
'“It’s just beyond our imagination. We are so happy. But I for one am a bit nervous because we do not completely understand what’s happening,'
and nothing more.
they never said they don't know why it's selling so well, you retard.
>>
>>379258518
They literally can't explain why it is selling, you obnoxious turbofaggot.
>>
>>379258078
Same here. It's the reason why decided to play PC multiplats on console.
>>
>>379258259
PS Slim doesn't have 4k capabilities.
>>
>>379258574
>>379258078
Ditto. I bailed when W7 went to security rollups to force you to install MS spyware.
>>
>>379258559
they can, they asked devs what they wanted to have in a console, they ditched the whole 'all media in one platform, use this console for your videos and shit' and just committed fully to video games. MS shitting the bed played obviously a big role in this, but sony didn't just do nothing, mong.
>>
>>379251507
Sony didn't organized the Kickstater you twat, Nielo and Ys Net did. Sony only announced it E3, also They would still get their pledge reward which is only thing they promised, Sony is only providing marketing assistance. Which is also why the game is a multi-platform title
>>
>>379255134
>sony admits

One guy. And he wants you to buy new shit.
>>
>>379257954
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/185993/20161116/project-scorpio-will-play-xbox-360-games-without-use-of-technical-wizardry-says-phil-spencer.htm

Even if you google it, all the top articles you see is explaining how the scorpio will run 360 games even better
>>
>>379250000
He's right though. It's the same with playing CDs and DVDs. People complain loudly about PS4 not being able to read CDs (it's missing the infrared laser for doing this), but the existing DVD player in the PS4 (which needs to be activated online once) is used by almost nobody.
>the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"
I also agree on early 3D era games didn't age well. It's not only looks, gameplay mechanics are far from being fleshed out, too.
Saying this I own a PS2 SuperSlim and PS3 SuperSlim giving me access to the entire PlayStation library.
>>
>>379254596
difference is that PCs actually have the capability to play games with highly demanding graphics at 60fps. consoles should aim for 60fps before implementing top tier graphics.
>>
>>379258901
That's fine, and I can grant the dude's claim that I responded to that Scorpio will have BC. Still curious about the Switch, where he says:
>I hope Switch and Scorpio somehow manage straighten Sony up.
>>
>When Sony becomes evil again
>>
>>379259021
>becomes

Nigga they never changed. They just didn't fuck up as bad right out the gate like Microsoft.
>>
>>379250000
It's just because of their retarded ps now streaming service they have. No one uses it because who wants that much input lag when playing a game. If they added backwards compatability they would lose their streaming service revenue.
>>
>playing in ancient games on weak modern console in 2017

Retards from /v don't know about emulators with image quality in times better than original.
>>
>>379250000
He's absolutely right though.
The vast majority of the market doesn't care and most of the minority doesn't care either since they end up buying those two games they played in their childhood and then not using the thing anymore, even here on /v/ people make a lot of noise about backwards compatibility but in the end almost nobody uses it when it's available.
Most of the 90's kids and 00's kids don't care at all, as soon as they see PS2 graphics they'll turn away in disgust.
The only place where backwards compatibility is actually used is Japan, because the retro culture in there is much bigger than in the west, that's why the PSX section of JP PSN is much bigger than both US and EU PSNs put together, but again, that's the only exception to the rule.

And let's not forget emulation on PC and phones.
>>
>>379252046
because they have literally no games coming out so they just play their old ones and act like they're new titles

>PLAYING CRACKDOWN 1 ON MY XBOX, SONY BTFO!
>>
>>379250061
Because the guys in charge don't actually play games or even know anything about them, they look at spreadsheets and reports all day and think "ah, that's impressive, that must be what kids are into"

It's like if someone knew absolutely nothing about cars and sat on the board of directors at ford, wondering why some people like old dodge chargers
>>
>>379259891
Again, I got a BC PS3, which is my baby. If there was a fire, and I could only save 1 console, that console would be my launch PS3. So I can play pretty much any PS1, PS2, PS3, or PS4 game that I want.
>>
>>379254726
> If you're in Japan, there is not much reason to own a PS4. Many of the games are ps3/psv multiplats. Yes, that includes Persona 5. Meanwhile, the PS3 has a lot of single player exclusives that can probably last until PS5 is released, so does the Vita.
Man, isn't that why Sony's great?
Unlike Nintendo, they don't kill their consoles the DAY the new one comes out. WiiU was in a vegetative state for its last year, stopped production before the Switch came out, and lost all relevant software support the same day Switch came out with Zelda. Games like ARMS and Splatoon2 could just as well run on WiiU but Nintendo doesn't support it.

Meanwhile you can go 3 and a half years into a new generation with the older Sony homeconsole because it still gets support left and right. Same happened to the PS2 and to a lesser extent the PS1.

To me that's more of an encouraging reason to buy a PS4. I just know it'll not only get a long lifespan but also be supported for a while even after the PS5 comes out. Meanwhile I don't trust Nintendo's early releases one bit because I just KNOW their consoles die within 3 to 5 years max and they'll launch 2 or 3 hardware revisions, each one with massive upgrades and with exclusives (Just like GBC, DSi, New3DS, N64 RAM Xpac and Wii's 1:1 dongle got exclusives over the first model). Nintendo is always begging me to NOT buy their systems and instead wait 3 years for the last hardware revision.

Whenever someone says the PS4 isn't worth it because the games are PS3/Vita multiplat and still come out on those systems, not only do I think that's great (since I don't own a PS3/Vita and get their games on my PS4), but also that my launch PS4 purchase will last until 2022.
>>
>>379258223
>it's easy to see how sony won this war and why they get off scot-free with doing the dumbest shit now
So how do you justify both PS1 and PS2 completely dominating the market too?
That every other company has been completely fucking up for the past 20 years and giving Sony a free pass?
>>
>>379250061
>Nintendo seems like the only ones unaffected by this meme.

Because they can't have good graphics.
>>
>>379254635
>implying a port with some extra content is a remaster

That is literally a remaster
>>
>>379260479
no-one was talking about previous generations
it's a fact - sony won this generation because they fucked up the least
also your bias is showing
>>
>>379250000
If no one is interested in retro games why do they sell them on the PS store?
>>
>>379259854
The vast majority of the market doesn't care about Sony exclusives but they keep making those.
>>
>>379254201
That's why it's impossible to emulate Cell on current PS4.
>>
>>379260565
>no-one was talking about previous generations
I know, I was asking you

>it's a fact - sony won this generation because they fucked up the least
I know what you said, I read your post (you didn't read mine, however). I'm asking for you to elaborate on that. If "not fucking up" is all it takes, then how did PS1 dominate the market just as much as the PS4 is now (actually a bit more) and how did PS2 COMPLETELY dominate the market?

Did Sony simple "not fuck up" and everyone else "fucked up" for 3 generations?

>also your bias is showing
In what way? I only stated the facts. For each N64 there were 3 PS1's, and for every Gamecube there were 7.5 PS2's.
Currently the closest system to PS4 is the Xbone, that's a 2 to 1 ratio and people are saying MS "completely fucked up". Now imagine how you'd interpret 5th and 6th gens - PS1 was 3 to 1 and PS2 7.5 to 1.

"Sony completely dominating" during the PS1 and PS2 era isn't showing bias at all, just a simple fact.
>>
>>379257654
It's literally improved Xbone. You are as retarded as if someone said PS4 Pro is not compatible with PS4 games.
>>
>>379260327
I didn't pick up a PS4 until last fall. Been keeping very busy on it since then. Still don't like the PS4 as much as the PS3, though. Paying for online, the fucktarded OS UI, and the way the system rips the disk onto the harddrive bothers me. PS3 was perfect.
>>
>we aren't making our consoles backwards compatable because of games like GT

Come the fuck on, dude. Obviously racing and sports games are almost void at this point, because they've all been updated with better graphics and smoother gameplay. But what about games that haven't been updated every year? What about actual original IPs where you either play the original, or you don't play it? How fucking retarded is this man

>FIFA 98 looks like shit compared to FIFA 2017, so why would anyone want to play Silent Hill?
>>
>>379257864
quality > quantity
>>
>>379260807
>I know what you said, I read your post (you didn't read mine, however).
i read your post in its entirety including your pic's filename (which allows me to put you in one bag with rabid anti-nintendo force that dominates currently this board) and all i saw was a man who can't deal with a fact that sony didn't really do all that well this gen so he tries to drag their colossal past successes into discussion
fuckups of the competition definitely did contribute to ps1's success, but there was a lot of effort on sony's part to get developers to support their thing - they got pretty much every notable developer on board and sold their machine and games for a sensible price
ps2's launch hype completely overshadowed the competition in spite of xbox and gamecube being solid offerings altogether (the gap between these two is minimal)
>>
>>379260645
>The vast majority of the market doesn't care about Sony exclusives
Looks like it does since many of them sell millions and many of them, like Wild Arms, are considered cult classics by Sony's base.
Don't know what Sony's largely shitty first party games have to do with backwards compatibility though.
>>
>>379261617
Sony first party sells a fraction of what multiplats like the latest CoD, Battlefield, and FIFA do on the same console. The highest on the PS4 exclusive is something like 8 million, on a system bragging about selling 60 million units. The vast majority of Sony customers do not care about Sony first party.

But they continue to be made for several reasons:
It's important to the brand to be making your own games, especially because you then fully own them and make more money from them. They can cater to niche markets, making back their money on the customers they do reach that weren't giving you their money alread. It's a PR thing too. There's a reason even Ubisoft will devote stage time to a game like Grow Home. Why Yoko Taro got to make 3 games before Automata despite none of them selling well. Your presence and the perception of your company in the public eye can be expanded by making these offerings that are not as profitable overall or even relatively like the big guns, but offer their own benefits in their own ways. You think that everyone who prefers a Sony console plays every game on it? No, but you tend to feel better about companies if you think they're giving more well rounded offerings and more willing to invest in their platforms.

BC is one such way to do so. It makes your console look better to people and can capture a niche market that would not otherwise be as interested in the product.
>>
>>379250894

If BC is such a big deal why did the Wii U fail?
>>
>>379250000
>Last time Sony became this arrogant, they released PS3 for $599.

And PS3 sales only picked up after Sony gradually opted out of BC to get the price point down. They learned a lesson.

Lack of BC didn't stop Sony from winning this gen.
>>
>>379251317
What about Ridge Racer V?
>>
>>379250000
Yet it so much better paying 50$ for remasters.
>>
>>379257954
>someone that browses a fucking video game board is this uninformed when it comes to current gen consoles
This is pathetic
>>
File: 1496363084533.jpg (57KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1496363084533.jpg
57KB, 960x540px
Sony are without shame when it comes to remasters. Sets up Microsoft for an easy burn at E3.
>>
>PS4 sold 60 million
>only 3.4 million bought Horizon Zero dawn
>Only 1 million people bought Persona 5
>Probably only few other millions will buy the next exclusive games
Lol
>>
>>379257840
>>379258223
This

Apparently too many of you forgot just how disastrous this was for Microsoft. Too bad they didn't decide to ship the Xbone like that. Then they would have finally killed of their Xbox brand. Their jew practices would also stop plaguing the industry.
>>
>>379262883
>>Only 1 million people bought Persona 5

As compared to what? This is insanely good for a JRPG title.
>>
>>379262868
can't wait for another pathetic attempt at a zinger that ends up backfiring desu
>>
>>379262883
>Nier automata sold 1.2 million on the PS4 while 60 million PS4 got sold worldwide
Waaaa, really make you think
>>
>>379262923
The worst part is that for them to admit they fucked up would take one gen going completely to shit to just get a message.

At this rate we dont get new good playstation in the next decade at least.
>>
>>379263096
When compared to 60 million PS4 sold.
>>
>>379263237

So what, do you think every PS4 owner is obligated to own every game released? Do you know the meaning of niche markets? I mean, the title closest to P5 is #FE which didn't even break into the 6 digits in the only area with available data.
>>
>>379262349
Shut up! You're spoiling the Xcuck narrative!

>>379263162
We'll probably never get a really good PlayStation or console gen ever again. Paid online? Thanks Microsoft! Cosmetic DLC and microtransactions? Thanks Microsoft! Games as a service? Thanks Microsoft!
>>
>>379250298
I liked the Mega Drive backwards compatibility with Master System.
>>
>>379263350
How is that a niche market when they are PS exclsuive and marketed by PS? It just proves that multiplatform games sells more on the PS than your exclusive games outside Uncharted.

#FE was garbage and failed to pander to FE fan.
>>
>>379257774
a lot of people bought vitas that didn't have PSPs and used the fuck out of backwards compatibility
>>
>>379250000
He's a businessman, what do you expect? When he says "why would anyone play this?" he means why would the normies play this. And at that he's (mostly) right, although perhaps critically wrong when it comes to THOSE games that even most normies will spout as being timeless (in which case sony just remaster it).

Also when you're comparing a fucking racing sim/simcade whatever, you might as well just go all the way and compare Fifa 2016 vs Fifa 2017. Obviously over time it's going to directly improve. That however is not a representation of most video games.
>>
File: CO7Tz-PUcAAVDpA.png (724KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
CO7Tz-PUcAAVDpA.png
724KB, 800x450px
>>379263491
>How is that a niche market when they are PS exclsuive and marketed by PS?

A game can be niche and exclusive at the same time, you know. It can also be niche and still be marketed by Sony. See pic related.

I don't know why you have a problem with this concept. Did Sony even market Persona 5?
>>
>>379263415
>rejeting all the fault on MS
Lol. They are not obliged to follow.
>>
>>379263626

Sony is a company, it's not your fucking friend. Why would you expect a company to refuse free money? Even Nintendo is doing it now.

Blame the idiots who pay for this shit, not the company taking advantage of suckers.
>>
>>379263621
of course they did.
>>
>>379263415
The real pioneer of online-capable consoles is actually SEGA's Dreamcast, which featured a built-in Ethernet port. Microsoft’s Xbox Live was just the first truly big online console ecosystem.
>>
>>379260602
People want BC on PS4. People will use BC on PS4 (not that PS3 had even one good game though). The reason Sony is saying no one wants it is because they probably can't implement it on the PS4 without a huge revision to the entire line of consoles. Fox and grapes.
>>
There's no point because the PS4 has proven that people will buy a console regardless of whether it has BC or not. It really is getting to be a pain in the ass for me though as newer TV's are phasing out component cables in favor of HDMI so I have to keep this old CRT that I've had for ages and looks like it might die any moment.
>>
>>379250000
Cocky Sony is back

Can't wait for an entire E3 show filled with 3rd party marketing.deals and the same games we've seen already with 1 or 2 exclusives

They'll also jam some anti consumer shit down your throat Midway through
>>
>>379263795

I know there's a Persona 5 ad in Japan that Sony paid for but that's it. Does that really make it confusing to you that Persona 5 "only" sold 1 million copies?
>>
>>379252897
holy shit, i haven't met such a clearly underage tryhard on /v/ in years. everything about your post is over compesanting.

i can count the number of good exclusives on the ps4 in one hand. i'll need an army to count the great games of the yesteryearv that hold up without muh precious ps4 remaster edition. good god you are straight out of neogaf with blind handwaving for your glorious remaster machine.
>>
>tfw the people in charge know nothing about videogames nowadays
>>
>>379264060
Yes it's so weird even when Horizon dawn sells only 3.4 millions out of 60 millions
>>
>>379257969
On what? Their one model of PS3 that had BC?
>>
Is he aware of the PS1/PS2 and the upcoming PS3 emulator on PC?
>>
>>379255183
Because sales = good games right?

The best games and hardware were on Sega, yet they sold like shit. That's like saying apple makes good phones (they don't) just because they sell so many units.
>>
>>379264206
>"only"

That's pretty good for a new IP. I don't understand this obsession with attach rate, that's only a thing in Nintendo consoles. Playstation consoles have a more diverse library and demographic, not everyone is going to enjoy the same kinds of games like they do on Nintendo machines.
>>
PS5 will have BC
>>
>>379250000
They will release something similar to Xbox at e3. Games on demand is an excellent idea and Sony needs to copy it from Microsoft like they did with paid subscription
>>
There are too many ps2/ps1 classics that will never ever get an hd remake or a remasters.
>>
>>379264491
>Games on demand
What
>>
File: consolefag gtfo.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
consolefag gtfo.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>379250000
backward compatibility ?

you a little baby, now watch this
>>
I don't get why Sonybros are fighting against this and pretending that it's shit. It's another feature for your Console, why are you all huurrr old games are gay unless #based company remakes them
>>
>>379250287
I played through a full PS1 game last week. Good games are timeless.
>>
>>379264585
PC is not a console. Who doesn't own a PC on 2017? You need it for work and other stuff than gaming + you can't put you PC on the saloon.
>>
>>379250061
Because they are businessmen. They don't play games. They just look at it and if it looks pretty they're impressed. Welcome to capitalism.
>>
File: C5m3aOWU8AAIpoN.jpg (50KB, 828x409px) Image search: [Google]
C5m3aOWU8AAIpoN.jpg
50KB, 828x409px
Literally who is Ryan and why is his oppinion relevant?
>>
>>379264060
>I know there's a Persona 5 ad in Japan that Sony paid for but that's it
that seems like a bit of an understatement, they bundle persona 5 with slim PS4s there.
>>
File: 1489977727545.jpg (35KB, 652x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489977727545.jpg
35KB, 652x960px
>>379250000
>uuuh people don't care about backwards compatibility
>by the way, buy our remasters and psnow
Hmmm
>>
>>379264896

Again, how's something that Sony only did in Japan account for the game's performance worldwide?
>>
>>379264585
>Windows 10
>backward compatible
That's a joke, right?
Windows XP already had a hart time with being backward compatible, Vista then killed it off completely
>>
>>379265141
emulators
>>
>>379265241
>Emulators choking on a few popular games never made for the platform is now backwards compatibility
Backwards compatibility is when the PS2 plays PSX games, when Windows 98 plays Windows 95 games. When DOS 7.1 plays DOS 3.30 games.
It's not BC when you play DOS games on your phone using Dosbox or ScummVM.
>>
>>379250000
Sony can be arrogant this time, because they indoctrinated Sonybros to be worse than Apple-zealots
>>
>>379264062
>This is your average barely coherent Xcuck these days

Top lel
>>
File: LOL.jpg (40KB, 647x237px) Image search: [Google]
LOL.jpg
40KB, 647x237px
>>
>>379265241
>emulators
Emulators are required if something is NOT backwards compatible. Emulators are living proof, that there is no backwards compatibility.
>>
>>379265635
>if you wanna play games why don't you just buy another console!
Sounds familiar
>‘If you don’t have the internet, stick with the Xbox 360’
>>
File: 1200.jpg (257KB, 1200x1531px) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
257KB, 1200x1531px
If people truly cared about BC they wouldn't have let the WIi U fail. I don't get why you're all so skeptical about the guy saying that the average consumer doesn't actually want it.
>>
>>379264491
they've been doing it since 2013
>>
>>379265771
not anymore
>>
>>379262182
Because the Wii had no good games
The GameCube however, had a good library. Which probably helped the Wii get more popular
>>
>>379265635
I would if I had brand new PS2 available.
Whats left here is basically cancer ward for consoles.
They dying next day you buy then and the most you can say is "we knew this day would come, shame it was so soon"
>>
>>379252695
Who tf bought a Wii U?
>>
HAHAHHAHA SONY BTFO

>starts playing banjo and kazooie nuts n bolts in xbone
>>
>>379250000
lol
>>
File: casual-trash.png (71KB, 586x494px) Image search: [Google]
casual-trash.png
71KB, 586x494px
>>379266393
>Which probably helped the Wii get more popular

People only bought a Wii en masse for Wii Sports, don't kid yourself otherwise.
>>
>>379250000
>We make more money on HD remasters.
What stopped him from telling the truth?
>>
>>379266594
>keep GameCube and play no more new games
>trade in GameCube save money on party machine and get new games

Yeah there's no way this played a part in people getting the Wii
>>
>>379266926

People didn't give a shit about gamecube games when the gamecube was released, why would they care that they could play them now on the Wii? Is every GC owner traded it for a Wii it would only account for 21 million sales of the total.
>>
Retro-retards eternally BTFO!
>>
>>379250287
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/671381/Black-Ops-Xbox-One-Backward-Compatibility-Microsoft-Call-of-Duty
>>
File: retroarch 2016-03-14 10-37-10-71.jpg (268KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
retroarch 2016-03-14 10-37-10-71.jpg
268KB, 1280x1024px
>>379267163
>retrotards
xyexxyexxyex
>>
I'm generally pretty happy with PS1 and PS2 emulation and it's more convenient.
>>
>>379250415
360 games on xbone look and run better
>>
File: annoyed.jpg (60KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
annoyed.jpg
60KB, 640x480px
>>379250000
Oh hey, it's the reason I never bought a PS3 and totally abandoned Sony despite the PS2 being the best console of all time!
>>
>>379251312
proud?

I wouldn't have boughten a xbone without it
>>
>>379263975
>There's no point because the PS4 has proven that people will buy a console regardless of whether it has BC or not. It really is getting to be a pain in the ass for me though as newer TV's are phasing out component cables in favor of HDMI so I have to keep this old CRT that I've had for ages and looks like it might die any moment.
In foresight I bought a 40" LCD TV in 2013 with offers everything from HDMI over 1080p analog to VGA/SCART RGB input (but no "smart" online fagottry).
With 40 inch it's also small enough to keep around next to the 20" CRT TV.
It has 40 ms input lag though.
>>
>When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"
>By contrast, the company says it intends to double down on things people do want to play, namely the explosive eSports phenomenon. "It's a subject that is occupying us quite a lot these days, and something we're looking at very carefully," says Ryan.

What a fucking tool
>>
>>379251503
people don't want a million consoles hooked up to their tv
>>
>>379250000
Man I praised the PS3 up and down because of its ability to play PS2 and PS1 games. It was like the perfect console. Why would I invest in something that can only play a very specific library of games and then die off forever? BC doesn't just make one console worth it, it makes your entire BRAND worth it.

I understand that you don't want piracy because pirates the biggest cancer of the industry but you're hurting everyone else and also yourself when you go so hard on the anti piracy when your machines can't play games from its own brand.
>>
>>379251781
>Someone really needs to knock this shitty industry down a few pegs.
xbone, wiiu and pc all had bc

it's only sony that sucks dicks
>>
>>379252046
have you played any 360 games on xbone?

they look much better than on 360
>>
>>379268429
PC doesn't count. No such thing as generations.
>>
>>379252645
people don't want to wast over a third of a cost of an item to have it repaired, when they can spend a little bit more and get a newer, better model
>>
File: 1TtbvKq.gif (143KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
1TtbvKq.gif
143KB, 500x402px
>>379250000

You're exaggerating. They're acting that way because they don't hold licenses and shit any more and that would cost massive amounts of money for diminishing returns. It's perfectly realistic and pragmatic because they aren't Nintendo, they don't 100% own the majority of their IP's on their system. It's double edged sword because that's ALL Nintendo has had to rely on to simply get by half the time in contrast when they have no new product out because third party developers turn their back on them.

You want true backwards compatibility, just go emulate something as usual like the rest of the world.
>>
>>379252695
that's because the couple of good wiiu games are already ported to switch
>>
sony was a mistake
>>
File: chvrchalfa.jpg (5KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
chvrchalfa.jpg
5KB, 300x57px
>>379269290
Sony is a mistake sonny.
>>
File: 1487681437944.jpg (80KB, 775x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487681437944.jpg
80KB, 775x720px
>No one wants tomplay these old games REEEEEEE
So why the fuck did they do remastered versions of movie games like Uncharted and Heavy Rain?
>>
>>379250000
Rather why would anybody play a PS1 or PS2 game on a PS4, where the game's emulated at native resolution without any graphical enhancement?
Even my shitty notebook can play PS1 Games with a higher quality.
>>
Why would anybody want to play video games?
>>
>>379259894
the head of xbox phil spencer plays games almost every night

i see him playing destiny a tonne
>>
It's shit like this that makes me concerned about old games in general.

How are people supposed to preserve those old classics from previous generations apart from emulation?
>>
>>379270207
No idea, just play a guitar or go out with friends, invite your girlfriend for dinner and then make her forget everything but your 15' dick
You could be at the beach sunbathing, scuba diving, climbing the mountain, parachute jumping and yet, you chose video games.

Read a book or something, if I might suggest, something on forex.
>>
>>379270394
Emulation is actually going to be the best method.
Electronics wear out; cheap counterfeit capacitors from the 90s explode taking the circuit board with it, rust, disk rot, and not to mention the save battery dying.
>>
>>379250000
What a cock.
>>
File: teeedus.jpg (3KB, 135x135px) Image search: [Google]
teeedus.jpg
3KB, 135x135px
>>379254596
yet we have graphics AND 100% BC
>>
File: 1478913629679.gif (2MB, 450x254px) Image search: [Google]
1478913629679.gif
2MB, 450x254px
>>379271208
As if that exempts you from criticism.
>>
>>379270601
>disk rot
>>
>>379250000
you want backward compatibility? no you don't, those games look dated as fuck and when people ask for it and we deliver with playstation now they wont pay so clearly it's an unused feature. Just pay us for a great remaster and be lucky that this is #4thegamers #greatness awaits.

if people actually wanted that crap then xbox wouldn't have half our sales. remember we have 60 MILLION PS4s and thats is literally all that matters.
>>
File: move_vs_kinect.jpg (15KB, 536x312px) Image search: [Google]
move_vs_kinect.jpg
15KB, 536x312px
>>379271375
hey, Wii is not responsible for Sony and M$ falling into waggle controls meme
>>
>>379262182
Because the Wii U was a marketing disaster? Try again, Sony Dork
>>
Porting older games to better hardware probably does kick up a few tricky issues considering how shitty japanese devs are with tying all sorts of shit to specific known hardware levels of the console they were deving for.

Dark Souls? Durability was fucked up thanks to higher framerate on PC, until someone fixed it.
Valkyria Chronicles? Interception fire was pretty fukken badass, until someone fixed it back to intended levels.
Vanquish? People were getting gibbed thanks to higher framerate, until someone fixed it.

Japanese devs tie a lot of shit to Playstation x/y/z's framerate, it seems. Imagine playing an old PS2 game on PS4 and suddenly it's a shitton harder because of silly code.

but that's why PC is Master Race. console owners lose their entire library the day the market says their console is obsolete, while PC has autistic modders who'll keep fixing shit. And even making new content. Fucking Thief still has modders making it run and making mini-campaigns.
>>
>>379250000
>Last time Sony became this arrogant, they released PS3 for $599
it was $599 because they put in the hardware for backwards compatibility and it almost destroyed their market share
>>
>>379250298

The problem with waiting for remasters is that I have a shitload of PS1 and PS2 games that will never get a remaster. I have two PS2s that are both dead. I don't want to have to wait for random companies to decide what games I can play again. If the PS4 was backwards compatible, i would have happily bought one sooner and for a higher price.
>>
File: 1490716771197.gif (42KB, 225x200px) Image search: [Google]
1490716771197.gif
42KB, 225x200px
>>379250000
Just imagine if people were this retarded with books and science. We would've discarded Greek and roman knowledge and civilization would be stupid for so damn long.
We've achieved a moment where capitalism wants you to stay in the dark, this is why so many retards are going commie
>>
>>379250000
I'm a Sony fanboy, but I can't and don't want to defend this.

If people could play old games on PS4 they would have less incentive to buy PS5 and pay full price for remasters.

Thank fuck for emulation. The PS3 emulator is doing better and better. Fuck this guy.
>>
Can the Xbone run Xbox Classic games? How far back does the BC go there?
>>
This just shows how out of touch sony is.
They don't actually know what makes a great game.
>>
>>379252897
>And 1 out of 500 people will ever pop an old disk in and play it for 10 minutes before going back to playing current games.

Its the other way around kid. Most new titles are played through once. But its the old titles you can always play, as one anon said, they are timeless.
>>
>>379272253
i heard that they're testing this out but it might be a while before we see that.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170606-095338.jpg (153KB, 978x501px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170606-095338.jpg
153KB, 978x501px
More importantly
>>
>>379250000
He's right.

90% of the PS4 owners are dudebros who get a soccer game, FPS, TLOU and barely any new games.

Backwards compatibility is a feature that must be used by like 5% of the users. It's just not worth the investment.
>>
https://twitter.com/KyleOrl/status/872077736617160704

>G-guys BC is r-really popular

Looks like Jim Ryan just BTFO some dudes.
>>
>>379273295
>https://twitter.com/KyleOrl/status/872077736617160704

Citation needed. Oh let's see.

>We randomly sampled tons of Xbox Live Gamertags (from among 79M+) using a third-party API to see what people
>data found in my latest project
>We

Wow, they are the authority matter. Are you going to post GameFAQs poll soon?
>>
Gran Turismo was fucking ass when it launched. He's right.
>>
>>379272823
What? Is this a joke? Xbone is already out.
>>
>>379255705
>have a handful, most "littarly who" ps2 games in ps store
>costs up to 15- 20 euros
>emulated like shit, everything in the distance is so blurry you get a headache and eyes start hurting
>instead of using the ps3 version of san andreas with clean graphics, they put in the muddy and blurry ps2 version
>instead of improving the graphics of the ps2 games a tiny bit they add fucking trophies
>"no one wants to play the old games"

I wonder why

I mean the ps4 version of resident evil had crispier graphics and 60fps. Why not do this with every ps2 game? Instead they resell littarly shit and asking themself why noone buys it
>>
>>379273860
i mean resident evil 4
>>
Backwards compatibility can help carry a dreadful launch though.

Like if the Switch could play WiiU games, you'd have like 8-9 fantastic games to play right at launch.
>>
>>379273860
They don't want to make an effort. If the investment doesn't print money they won't do shit.
>>
>>379250000
In the case of Gran Turismo, there is no reason to go back and play 1 or 2. 3 A-spec is the peak of the series, and is as far back as anyone needs to go in the franchise.
>>
File: 1343719482468.jpg (516KB, 2720x1020px) Image search: [Google]
1343719482468.jpg
516KB, 2720x1020px
>>379274460
There's another, equally valid solution to this: STOP REHASHING THE SAME FUCKING GAME
>>
>>379250287
>nobody
>im nobody
>>
>>379274460
Aspec is completely sport thing, if you want comfy you need GT1 or 2.
GT4 if you can bear the shitty input filter.
>>
>>379273116
lol...it doesn't really cost anything to include it

It's really just a planning thing, it's not a hardware issue.

They'd rather you just bought older stuff from them
>>
>>379274669

It's a racing simulator, dude. The entire point is to improve on graphics.
>>
>>379258293
they paid her to swear and act cool doing it
>>
File: 250px-MarioTennisGBC.jpg (21KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
250px-MarioTennisGBC.jpg
21KB, 250x251px
>>379274901
No excuse. They were able to craft a whole RPG around tennis on the fucking GBC
>>
>>379275121

You don't have to tackle garbage on top of garbage just for the sake of innovation. Either you like racing simulators or you don't.
>>
>>379253895
This entire list isn't true.
>>
>>379270601
It's strange to me that more game companies haven't cashed in on emulation.

Imagine how much money sony could make off a miniature PS1 that just ran roms of about 20 classic PS1 titles.
>>
File: 5570667194_5eb0489273_b.jpg (426KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
5570667194_5eb0489273_b.jpg
426KB, 1024x768px
>>379275528
I had one of those. The problem is that the PS1 was developed by the fucking devil so porting it over is extremely difficult. FF gets away with it because those had PC ports to begin with.
>>
>>379275528
Dreamcast, PS2, GC, I would buy this shit so fucking fast their bank would experience a freeze because PC's wouldn't know which transaction was first.
>>
https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/872094414914629633
>>
>>379264221
PS2's could also play PS1 games, I specifically remember playing most of Legend of Dragoon on my PS2, are you incapable of a simple Google search before you vomit drivel?
>>
Please look forward to the Jak™ and Daxter™ trilogy, re-re-releasing on the Playstation 4™ Professional™ this year. Thank you.

This Is For The Players™
>>
>>379266452
That's irrelevant, stop moving the goalposts
>>
File: 1459360398556.jpg (9KB, 240x250px) Image search: [Google]
1459360398556.jpg
9KB, 240x250px
>people actually defending the lack of BC
And people say /v/ isn't 90% Sony.
>>
>>379277249

You go buy back the rights for expired licenses for them from third party developers that will cost more than they return on in the end?

Until then doggo image reply until you finally realise everyone just emulates anyway.
>>
>>379277249
/v/ has 100,000 posters and this thread only has 153 posters
>>
>>379250000
To be fair gran turismo on PS1 is unplayable.
GT4 on ps2 still holds up surprisingly.
>>
>>379273116
The Xbox One playerbase activity disagrees. There are backwards compatibile games like black ops 2 that are among the most played games on the console. Microsoft is doubling down on BC with the Scorpio because of this
>>
>>379257969
>Sony established BC in the first place

Atari would like to have a word with you
>>
>>379273647
Dumbass
>>
>>379250000
He's indirectly pulling a Don Mattrick
>if you want to play games offline, just get a 360
>if you want to play your old games, just get a PS3/2/1
>>
>>379250000
Xbot here.
After long time I'd prefer Sony's approach. Remaster few games instead of BC. Apparently BC is not used that much on Xbone. There was some article about that recently.
It was a system seller for me though since I missed prev gen.
BC games that I've played:
> Mass Effect Trilogy
> Catherine
> Mirror's Edge
> Gears 2&3
> Lost Odyssey
> Fable 2
> Witcher 2
>>
>>379281395
> Catherine
Worth getting console with BC.
>>
>>379250000
They should release separate console with BC.
Just something that plays ps1-ps3 games or, at least ps1-ps2.

Would buy it in a heartbeat.
I have enormous collection of ps1-ps3 game and it really makes me sad realising that the moment my PS3 dies all those games could be carried down the basement and left there since I wont be able to play them anyway.
>>
>>379250000
AT LEAST throw the fucking games from PS3/PsVita store on the PS4. I would much prefer that over that god awful PS Now.
>>
>Xcucks BTFO so hard by Ars Technica they pipe down and Mike Ybarra has to crawl out to spin

lmao
Thread posts: 374
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.