[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trophies/Achievements

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4272.png (931KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4272.png
931KB, 1000x1000px
Why are trophies/achievements looked down upon?
>>
File: ccc.jpg (75KB, 737x758px) Image search: [Google]
ccc.jpg
75KB, 737x758px
>"wahhhh wahhhhhh waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah trophies and cheevos are useless and pointless and killing gaming"
>even though gaming as a whole is useless and unproductive
>killing gaming despite that fact that online passes, season passes, dlc, paid online, free to play, mobile games, and exclusives are much worse

It's just fags being fags, OP
>>
Today I got the plat for Deadly Premonition. Didn't get the whole Zach/York thing desu
>>
>>379215971
Gaming is a shit tier hobby/lifestyle for faggots and spergs who have no talent. Then they see that other people have achievements that they will never have because they are bad at a shitty hobby, they then try to ignore it by saying it sucks
>>
>>379215971
Because achievements killed cheat codes.
>>
People complained when they first came out because cheevos weren't on their console, and the score is meaningless.

Now it's more or less the same, with the exception that Nintendo is against a scoring system for some reason. So the only remaining haters are Nintendo loyalists.

Getting cheevos for a game you enjoy: great! Playing Hannah Montana just to boost your score: gay.
>>
I don't look down on them, but I don't see the appeal of chasing them and mostly just ignore them.
>>
I think it's probably more of the trophy hunting community that isn't liked
>wow this game is absolutely horrid but the trophy list is easy 100% so I'll play it
Or
>I really would enjoy this game but the trophy list is hard and I don't want to pull down my average

I just play games I like an the trophies are a fun extra thing. If they are too grindy or hard, no need to even do them
>>
>>379217124
Kinda this but if I have to choose between 2 equally good games and one of them has a terrible trophy list I'll just pick the other one.
I just don't like having a 99% completion rate with the remaining 1% taking 500 hours of grinding
>>
>give SP game trophies
>it also has a buggy and unfun online mode tacked on that will have its servers pulled within 6 months
>HEY LETS GIVE THAT TROPHIES TOO SO NO ONE CAN EVER 100% THE GAME A YEAR AFTER RELEASE

Not even a trophy whore and this always rustled my jimbos
>>
>>379215971
They aren't bad but people who put aside fun to get them are the issue
>>
It sucks when you're worrying about trophies during the first playthrough.
I try to ignore them and worry about them after the main game is completed.
>>
>>379218718
>ignore the trophy list to focus on fun first
>there's one trophy that absolutely has to be done midgame or you can't get it

Absolutely fucking epic
>>
>>379218718

I wish they wouldn't pop up during cutscenes or while I'm playing. I'm having fun, stop reminding me that I get useless shiny epeen points. If I'm curious I will check it out on my own. Stop ruining my dramatic cutscenes with that little "(ding!) You just completed a story chapter- have a participation prize!" bullshit.
>>
>>379219923
Pretty sure you can disable the notification
>>
>>379220195

I remember looking for settings to do so on my PS3 and not finding anything. I had almostno games for it anyway, but it was still irritating. I would hope that the PS4/Xbone/Switch let you disable them.
>>
>>379220432
You can disable the notification NOW.
>>
>>379216341
Zach Morgan was him in reality, and he was schizophrenic. York Morgan was a personality he created to deal with the trauma of seeing his father kill his mother and then himself at a young age. The reason people are constantly commenting on the large scar on his face is because they see him as Zach the entire time. It's also the reason noone questions why you suddenly "turn into" Zach at the end of the game. York "dies" only because Zach finally has the strength to confront what happened to him as a child and defeat it, allowing him to live as Zach again.
>>
2 reasons:
1. Because they aren't treated like achievements in most games.
>Congrats, you started the game!
>Congrats, you finished the tutorial!
>Congrats, you beat this mandatory boss!
Many large companies use them as a polling tool to see how far the average user gets into a game and what portion 100% it, which tell them two major things:
>How much of the game do we need to make good to trick the average user into buying it and buying the sequel and so on and so forth?
>How stupid ridiculous can we get with the 100% shit so a dedicated percentage maintains completion of it within X months of release?
And 2. Cheat codes. Since Achievements have some "value" outside the game itself, Cheat Codes allow you to get these for free, which is "unfair" to the average consumer.
>>
People that don't give a shit or care at all usually have about 60-70% completion on their achievement/trophy lists

People that are outspoken and say they hate achievements/trophies almost always have about 5% completion tops in their games and never a single 100% no matter how easy they might be

It's because they don't play games they just like to argue about them and feel part of a community they don't belong in and how much they actually play games finally being public shatters their disguise
>>
>>379221560
Tons of games have cheat codes- they just disable achievements while they're in play. Fun cheat codes are much less frequent now and it's a shame but achievements aren't to blame.
>>
>>379221865

Some manchildren might really be what you describe, but a lot of people who dislike achievements do so because of this bullshit: >>379221560

Vidya isn't about giving you FUN. It's about extracting the most amount of money from as many people as possible while putting in the least amount of effort to do so. Achievements make that blatant.
>>
>>379221865
Pretty much this. The retards who go REEEE over it are just casuals that don't actually play anything.
>>
>>379221560
DLC is to blame for the end of cheat codes
>hey here's a wacky mode just enter this code
>hey here's a wacky mode just enter your credit card

Pretty easy to see which won
>>
>>379216685
just use bruteforce, then you can have all the cheat codes you could want.
>>
I like trophies
>>
>>379223047
There's nothing inherently wrong with the concept of trophies/achievements.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.