[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

STUDY: 2 hours of weekly video games makes more employable...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: trunews-digital.jpg (34KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
trunews-digital.jpg
34KB, 480x360px
Playing two hours of video games a week makes you more employable, Glasgow academics find

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/05/playing-two-hours-video-games-week-makes-employable-glasgow/

>The Glasgow University research suggests that playing games such as Minecraft and Lara Croft can help young people to develop key skills.

>Matt Barr, a lecturer in Information Studies, said his findings suggest that modern video games can encourage players to think critically and solve problems, the types of qualities that are seen as useful for graduates.

>The findings showed that the group that played the games showed improvements on communication, adaptability and resourcefulness scales, compared to the control group.

>Mr Barr said: "Modern video games often require players to be adaptable and resourceful, and finding multiple ways of accomplishing a task. The way games are designed often encourages critical thinking and reflective learning, commonly cited as desirable attributes in graduates. "

>He added: "My research is perhaps what every parent may or, in the case of some, may not like to hear.

>"This work demonstrates that playing commercial video games can have a positive effect on communication ability, adaptability and resourcefulness in adult learners, suggesting that video games may have a role to play in higher education.

>"The study also suggests that graduate skills may be improved in a relatively short amount of time, with the gains reported here achieved over a period of eight weeks and representing just 14 hours of game play.

>"Certainly, the results of the randomised controlled trial described here suggest that the popular discourse around games' alleged ill effects should be tempered by considerations of the potential positive outcomes of playing video games."
>>
>>379210849
>2 hours of weekly video games makes more employable
Does this mean my 80 hours makes me 40 times more employable than the people in the study?
>>
File: trunews-revive.png (215KB, 8042x1265px) Image search: [Google]
trunews-revive.png
215KB, 8042x1265px
>>379211193
You need a good balance
>>
>>379211292
I do have a good balance. Almost half my day is spent asleep. Almost half is spent on video games. Nearly perfectly balanced.
>>
lara croft is my favorite video game
>>
File: trunews-platinum.jpg (22KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
trunews-platinum.jpg
22KB, 1280x720px
>>379211434
I think what the article is getting at is they're favoring video games that are "quick" to get into

One that immediately pops into mind is Heroes of the Storm over let's say League of Legends or Dota 2 since the latter two are huge timesinks while HoTS allows you quickly finish a match
>>
>>379211605
/v/ideo games
>>
File: 1496630395185.gif (272KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1496630395185.gif
272KB, 256x192px
But modern games don't require you to do anything of that. Either everything is handled on a silver platter or you are supposed to pay to get rid of a limitation
>>
>>379212439
I think certain video games can help with those skillsets, surely not all modern video games since they're basically pay-to-win
>>
>>379210849
Thats just like those 300 articles on
>weed is good for your health
>aids makes you stronger
>meth unlocks your true potential
>why blowing your credit card limit a good thing
>>
>>379212921
Not quite, in this study they have a control group which does not play any /v/idya and they found signifinance in their resulting study
>>
Kids only play simple games on touchscreens though.
>>
>>379210849
Glasgow is the best city in the world.
>>
>>379210849
If that were true I'd have a job years ago.
>>
>>379210849
Video games have made me intensely anti-social. I can't start a conversation if my life depends on it.
>>
Why in the absolute fuck would you ever bring up vidya when you're being interviewed for a fucking job? Just fucking lie if you're asked about your hobbies like literally anyone that has landed a job in their life.
>>
>Spending less time on video games and more on filling job applications means you're more likely to get a job

No fucking shit
>>
>>379213527
Maybe you just turn to video games because you already have poor social skills.
>>
>>379213586
>Why in the absolute fuck would you ever bring up vidya when you're being interviewed for a fucking job? Just fucking lie if you're asked about your hobbies like literally anyone that has landed a job in their life.
That's not what this article is about, the study shows that playing video games (in moderation) improves basic functional skills which helps you in landing a job
>>
>>379213398
>Glasgow is the best city in the world.
How so
>>
>>379213527
It doesn't say if you just play video games, it makes you magically successful. Video games are just part of the equation and you need to work on other skills in concern
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.