[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quest Markers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_3898.jpg (34KB, 432x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3898.jpg
34KB, 432x800px
There are people on /v/ right now who unironically think that reading 8 paragraphs of text to know where your next objective is at is better than a quest marker.
>>
>>379195202
Glad to know there are still good people on /v/.
>>
It depends on the type of game you're playing, more hardcore RPGs should not have markers where as a casual RPG it's fine to have them. The best though would be to have both options.
>>
Quest markers only make sense in games with enough technology to handwave it as part of a hud, as long as they only show you generalities of direction and not an all seeing arrow.
>>
File: Gothic 2.png (3MB, 1597x1737px) Image search: [Google]
Gothic 2.png
3MB, 1597x1737px
How did we go from this
>>
File: the witcher 3.png (3MB, 1300x1672px) Image search: [Google]
the witcher 3.png
3MB, 1300x1672px
>>379195568
To this?
>>
>>379195568
>>379195680
are you still posting this shit faggot?
>>
>>379195202
Why does it have to be 8 paragraphs of filler to know where to go next?
>>
>>379195202
>playing an adventure game
>having no sense of adventure

Why not just join the military and be told what to do all the time
>>
Depends on the game, but there are definitley times where figuring out where to go next is a lot more satisfying than playing connect the dots with map markers.
>>
Directions are always better, added sense of accomplishment from finding the place
>>
File: 22742675.jpg (34KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
22742675.jpg
34KB, 640x640px
>>379195202
>There are people on /v/ right now who rather shitpost for (You)s then play games
>>
>>379195202
>I'll mark it on your map
>>
>>379195914
But you can do exactly that in Morrowind and they still make you read to figure out what to do. Fuck that shit. But at least when you reach a certain rank in it you're allowed to legally take stuff from evidence chests.
>>
File: 1485636234717.jpg (96KB, 1091x1005px) Image search: [Google]
1485636234717.jpg
96KB, 1091x1005px
Quest markers in Skyrim were needed to an extent.
A few quests/dialogues were too vague as to what you were doing or where you were going.
>>
>>379196237

>and you are one of them
>>
>>379195202
is playing games a chore for you, you underage faggot?
>>
Detective vision was cool when it first came out, now its used in EVERY game
>>
>>379196551
To clarify, the writing needed to be much better to justify not using them.
>>
>>379195202
A well-designed game wouldn't require either one.
>>
>>379195202
There are people here right now that do not realize that their opinions make them look dumb.
>>
>>379196551
Are you really this stupid?

Of course they were needed.
Bethesda never intended for there to be proper alternatives, because they just though "Let's just make everything rely on following arrows so we can reach even more retarded players to make more money."
>>
>>379196551
You have cause and effect reversed. If there were no quest markers then the dialogue, journal, map, roads, and signs would have been adequate to completely navigate the world. Every single open-world game should be designed without quest markers, and then if appropriate add them as an afterthought. Right now they are a replacement for actual gameplay. There's nothing wrong with markers as a feature, there's something very wrong when they're used as a crutch by lazy developers.

Same applies to fast travel, by the way. If your quests have you going back and forth across the world just to fetch a spoon then that's nothing more than shitty quest or map design. Force the developers to navigate the world without it while creating the world and quests, and ideally provide movement options (like Morrowind's transit systems, teleportation spells, and jump/levitate/slowfall/waterwalking/etc. effects) to make map traversal more interactive and varied. Finally, like quest markers, add it as an option for people who just want to experience the story as quickly as possible.
>>
File: 1466969862970.jpg (104KB, 624x568px) Image search: [Google]
1466969862970.jpg
104KB, 624x568px
>>379197974
>If your quests have you going back and forth across the world just to fetch a spoon then that's nothing more than shitty quest or map design
there's a quest in skyrim where you have to do exactly this
to retrieve a spoon

anons, tell me, was the quest description too vague during the vanilla-BC era?
>>
Depends on the game really. Some games do well with a quest marker. Some are hurt by it.
>>
File: fuck your shit.jpg (24KB, 240x431px) Image search: [Google]
fuck your shit.jpg
24KB, 240x431px
>>379195202
>I am a worthless NPC and Bethesda has only given me three lines of dialogue. I would need at least ten just to explain you where it is, so here, just take this quest marker and go.
In case you didn't know.
>>
>>379195202
Or you could just get a mod for both and switch between the teo whenever the fuck you want.
>>
>>379195202
or just get an NPC to put the marker down for you, as happened with most quests in Morrowind
>>
>>379198390
>anons, tell me, was the quest description too vague during the vanilla-BC era?
Yes.
>>
Every thread, I will remind them
>Here, I'll mark it on your map
>>
>people thinking quest markers railroad someone onto that quest line when in reality I'm free to not only get to the quest marker on a path of my choosing but also just ignore the fuck out of it entirely for until I want to do that quest and in most games even fucking turn it off

this is like saying green cars have some kind of inherent advantage over blue cars.
>>
>>379199640
Red cars have a speed advantage.
>>
>>379199754
yeah but blue is lucky
>>
>>379199875
>he doesn't main Black cars for the big defense and superior spell pool
>>
>>379195202

>there are people on /v/ right now who unironically think that dumbing down literally everything is a good thing
>>
>>379200263
>there are people on /v/ right now that it is always in a games favor to make things as obtuse and inaccessible as possible and the idea of streamlining something to make a game better is fucking impossible.
>>
Games used to be something where losing is an option. It tested your wisdom and cunning and you enjoyed it.

Now vidya literally equals interactive movies. Like that harry potter 2 """game""" you played with a remote controller on your tv with the vhs in it
>>
>>379200452

>there are people on /v/ right now who think that reading is inaccessible and obtuse

Wew lad, that's a hole you dug all by yourself.
>>
Morrowind is a fraction of the size of Oblivion which is a fraction of the size of Skyrim.
>>
>>379195202
if they give me an option to remove quest markers then i don't mind
the game tells you to find a specific thing in a cave you don't need a quest marker that's just dumb hand holding
>>
File: Good quest v bad quest.png (4MB, 1240x4772px) Image search: [Google]
Good quest v bad quest.png
4MB, 1240x4772px
NO ONE CAN REFUTE THIS
>>
>>379195202
It's impossible to play Skyrim without them.
I tried it because you can actually disable them but the quests don't actually give you enough information to complete without them. It's not nearly as detailed as Morrowind or even Oblivion.
>>
>>379195202

Reading 1 paragraph of clues and using your intuition and exploring to find your objective is better than both. And its why BotW is the greatest open world game of all time.
>>
Quest markers have spoiled me, it's too hard to go back.
>>
i wonder if anyone bothered to read the memos you saved in new vegas to help with quests and find secret stashes
>>
>>379195202
why do you even bother playing if the quest marker has already made all the decisions for you? grow a brain and try thinking for yourself for a change, you might enjoy it
>>
>play might and magic 7
>yo pls retrieve this lantern ok? K bye
>b-but where did y--

The pain was real
>>
>>379195568
how do i get this game to work on my computer book
>>
>>379195202
>characters telling you where a location is and having a map you can look at to guide you
>nah, they clearly want an 8 page wikipedia entry

Morrowind aside, I'd like to see a lack of hand-holding in video games.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.