[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Find a worse way to do exposition in a video game.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (119KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
119KB, 1280x720px
Find a worse way to do exposition in a video game.
>>
>>379167974
when its not in the game at all and only explained in the manual
>>
File: ffxv.jpg (219KB, 655x380px) Image search: [Google]
ffxv.jpg
219KB, 655x380px
>>379167974
Leaving the exposition out of the game entirely.
>>
>>379167974
Unskippable cutscenes.
>>
>>379167974
When you need to look it up on the official website.
>>
>>379167974
Destiny
>>
Prototype 2.
Crysis 3.
Both had entire character arcs in comic books that will leave people playing the games scratching their heads trying to figure out what the fuck even happened between the sequel and the previous game.
>>
>>379168030
NINTENDO BTFO!!
>>
The rest of the story being in

>comic books
>movies
>web clips
>magazine articles
>ramen noodle lids
>>
>loading screen
>a scene of the protag as a very old man siting in an armchair explains game concepts to his nephews
>loading screen
>back in the game
>>
>>379167974
Wouldn't have minded it so much if miller/ocelot didn't talk over them.

>>379168097
Destiny takes the cake - all of Destiny's exposition is in an outside source and is unlocked out of order. So when you pick up a hidden item you unlock a new grimoire card, and then you have to open your browser only to find that it unlocked part 30 of 50. You get more grimoire cards by grinding the fuck out of enemies and all sorts of shit. It resulted in almost no one actually reading it so gg bungie. They aren't doing that in Destiny 2 thankfully.
>>
>>379168205
Come on, that's pretty creative.
>>
>>379168205
Pretty much this: loading screens kill the fucking mood of anything, and bringing the player back into the game like nothing happened is the final nail on the coffin.

Devs should seriously stop this bullshit.
>>
>mgsv
>episode intro gives spoilers to all characters and locations
>>
>>379168167
>ramen noodle lids
name seven (7) games that do this
>>
Remember that time when there was a plot twist in a JRPG followed by 30 minutes of characters sitting you down and explaining to you what just happened, completely killing any and all impact of what just happened?

That one is pretty bad.
>>
>>379170225
>see that XOF units named in opening
>quit mission, repec heavy weapons
truly a shit tier system
>>
File: horizon lore.png (2MB, 821x1328px) Image search: [Google]
horizon lore.png
2MB, 821x1328px
>>379167974
>>
>>379167974

long written passages
>>
>>379167974
This is the best way because I can ignore it completely and just play the game :^)
>>
>>379170408
>climate refugee museum
in other words, a temple to liberalism
>>
>>379168086
Soul Reaver 2

Well at least the voice acting was superb in that game.
>>
>>379167974
I would have said text logs, like codexes or books, but >>379168297 sounds like a whole new kind of cancer
>>
>enter Utah in Fallout NV
>if I want to know about stuff that's going on, I have to listen to some retarded redskin for hours on end

Joshua Graham redeems it at least.
>>
>>379170290

Fuck outta here with your shit memes, cockstain
>>
>>379167974
I gotchu, senpai.
>>
>>379167974
It´s so comfy do side ops listening to te tapes.

>>379170408
Damn, this wall of texts of horizon are a pain in the ass. The great part of the history is in this files. Im playing a videogame, not reading a book.
>>
>>379170408

>totally needs this
>was really bad
>can literally stand

Did a highschool student write this
>>
>>379170408
So is the Prime Minister supposed to be a retarded high school girl or did they just write her that way?
>>
File: 1468919937780.jpg (48KB, 548x416px) Image search: [Google]
1468919937780.jpg
48KB, 548x416px
>>379167974

Try putting the big twist of the game in tie-in material

Seriously fuck you Outlast 2
>>
>>379170378
The whole credits at the beginning of a mission killed any hype for me while playing because I already knew what was coming.
>>
>>379170669
>I have no idea what "exposition" means
>>
Easy. Persona 5 or any text only ways. At least you dont have to read here.
>>
>>379167974
Haven't played this yet, but I think it's nice when exposition isn't crammed sidelong into the action of the game sometimes. Players can decide for themselves if they care enough about the background and details to go make the effort to learn it. Seems like it should be more rewarding.

I assume that the tapes have to found and collected in the world, so that's another way of rewarding a player for giving a shit. Most of the charming characterization in MGS games only happens when you bother to call other characters, many of whom, like Sigint, you probably have no great reason to talk to unless you're interested in shit. It's a la carte storytime, perfect for a series that's famous for frustrating players with mandatory expository interruptions.
>>
>>379171353
It's clear to see that you don't, that's for sure.
>>
>>379168059
You know for all of its faults I kinda liked how the world in FFXV gave you tidbits on what was going on via radio, people and newspapers. If the story was much simpler it could've worked to its advantage.
>>
>>379171408
Persona 5's issue isn't the reading, it's the fact that the game drags you into the interrogation room to tell you what's going to happen before it happens.
>>
>>379167974
At least you could listen to this while doing mundane stuff in the overworld. I'd say Destiny does it way worse.
>>
>>379171501
This so much, God was it abysmal. It's already easy enough to piece what'll happen via random NPC flavor dialogue changing after every event but this went over the line.
>>
>>379168059
At least they released all the tie-in media outside of Japan for once.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.