[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Turn-based combat is outdated!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

File: 1496239830559.jpg (426KB, 1000x454px) Image search: [Google]
1496239830559.jpg
426KB, 1000x454px
>Why?
>B-because it is!
>Why?
>It doesn't sell!
>Persona 5 begs to differ...
>That doesn't mean anything!

Can we seriously stop this meme already?
>>
>>379138656
stfu
>>
>>379139006
*braps thoughtfully in your direction*
>>
>>379138656
Persona 5 combat is shit because of sp

If you want to finish a dungeon in one day you can only use the normal attack because otherwise you have not enough sp to finish the dungeon
>>
>>379140995
That's the point retard, you're not supposed to finish the dungeon in one day.
>>
>>379140995
>not bringing sp items or using sp adhesive
git gud
>>
>>379138656
Turn based combat isn't outdated, but P5's is. Literally NES-era battle system with no positioning , no interesting mechanics, no challenge, and hit le weakness gameplay.
>>
>>379141157
>artificially lengthening gameplay instead of just making it harder
>>
>>379138656
Turn based combat is objectively outdated and lazy design. Literally LITERALLY NO ONE, plays Persona games for the combat.
>>
Persona is the only turn based system i have ever liked. UI and presentation is slick, youre never bogged down in menus, everything feels snappy, animations dont take 20 seconds, hitting weaknesses is addicting as is clearing floors and finding treasure boxes. Cant stand any other jrpg with all the meters or active balancing bar or whatever the fuck. So I'd say they are doing something right
>>
>>379141447
Being a retard and not prepping before heading into a dungeon.

#yolo
>>
>>379138656
P5 sold less than FF Tactics on PS1.
>>
>>379141903
Hey, serious question. Is FFT really that good? I saw a video about it yesterday and I'm interested. What's your take on it?
>>
>>379138656
Turn based is fucking boring I'm Sorry
>>
>>379142116
If you like SRPGs and medieval fantasy stories you'll like it.
>>
As a big Persona fan, this is how I see it:

>Play Persona on easier difficulty levels so I can clear dungeons without having to leave or waste time
>Play SMT on harder difficulties because you have more freedom with preparation and can leave dungeons without penalties

>>379140995
While it's not "shit" because of SP, I will say that SP is made hard to recover on purpose. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to recover it easier than making the game harder/longer.
>>
>>379141447
>life simulator
>characters can actually get tired

huh.. really gets the elipses firin..
>>
>>379142323
I'll get the PSP port for my Vita.
>>
>>379142351
>big persona fan
>claiming its hard to recover

nigger in persona 5 you can have invigorate 3 by the 2nd palace. Before then you can just buy all the fucking sodas. This game is the most casual in the series, somehow even more casual than the shitfest that was P4
>>
>>379138656
Persona 5 combat is fun when you're fighting regular enemies, but boring when you're fighting a boss with no weaknesses. The boss fights generally lack the tactical dimension that fights against tough groups of normal enemies have, and are not much fun as a result.
>>
File: 1495705314051.jpg (118KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
1495705314051.jpg
118KB, 406x364px
>>379142351
SP isn't even hard to recover. By the second palace you'll have access to a ton of SP items, or even adhesives.

The first palace (from the perspective of a newcomer) is the only palace that might take you more than one day, and by that time it should have clicked that the thing that's causing you to have to stop is the SP.

Therefore prior to the second palace you should have stocked up on SP items, and if you haven't you're retarded.
>>
>>379142435
>the PSP port
The PSP version has massive slowdown during battles (which are already pretty slow) and fucked up audio.
>>
>>379138656
I wouldn't say that any kind of game is "outdated" but turn-based combat was far more justifiable back in the days of the MSX and Game Boy where action RPGs were difficult to make properly.
>>
>>379142524
I was brand new to the series with Persona 5, and even I worked out that SP was the mechanic that was causing me to be gated from doing palaces in one day.

Then I stocked up on tons of sodas, I had also gotten my S.Link with Sojiro to the level where I could make Coffee (and did, seeing as I was new and didn't understand the concept of how important time was).

If I had been knowing what I was doing, I would have had Adhesive 3 by palace 2, easily.
>>
>>379142524
Sodas don't recover much and Invigorate is good for Akira, not the rest of the party that will have no SP.

>>379142571
I just think it could be improved. Make combat and dungeons challenging, don't limit the player. Also money can become a problem, depending on the difficulty you play on, S-Links, Conpendium etc.
>>
>>379142654
Oh really? Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>379138656
>Turn-based combat is outdated

>what is dragon quest
>>
>>379138656
Ummm no sweetie, the reason people don't like turn-based combat is because

>It requires next to no skill
>It's uncreative
>It's boring
>Higher difficulty = more HP
>Retards are rushing to post about how Nocturne is the pinnacle of turn-based gameplay, which further proves how awful the system is as a whole
>Even Tetris is more challenging
>It's trash for casuals who can't even clear Tetris
>>
>>379142846
>sodas dont recover much

5-10 sp is a lot. also you only need one invigorate and to rotate it around the party. I did merciless on my 1st and only run and never had a single issue.
>>
>>379140995
>buy SP adhesive after 2nd dungeon
>now you got infinite SP
Honestly, this thing break the game for me. Making coffee, optimizing combos, managing of party SP, Futaba's skills - all gone to nothing because your whole party constantly regenerate. I have no idea why they let you buy is so early in the game, especially since it's piss easy to get the money.
>b-but don't use it!
I choose hard difficult expecting a decent challenge. If I must create challenge myself - it's a game design flaw.
>>
>>379138656
There's literally nothing wrong with turn based. All arguments against it are "I don't like it so it shouldn't exist"

I especially like the "it was a means to an end for the time because of limitations" shit. There were arpgs out back then too.
>>
>>379142930
There's a fix for it on cfw psps, but I dunno if it would work on vita. The slowdowns were added intentionally by SE for some reason.
>>
>>379143129
All Adhesives do is take away the necessity of doing dungeons over multiple days.

Making SP scarce isn't good difficulty management, and you'll probably still want Coffee for the people in the party who you won't want to have adhesives equipped to.

Futaba is trash anyway, they could have made her more like Rise where she would have a pretty high chance to up the damage from an all-out attack, but instead they decided to give her random buffs that are mostly irrelevant if you're using the stat up moves (which you should be on higher difficulties).
>>
>>379138656
Turn based is still niche.
Has any japanese game ever surpassed GTA, overwatch, or witcher?
>>
>>379140995
This is 100% false. I didn't even use the SP patches from Takemi either.
>>
>>379143129
SP adhesive isn't the silver bullet to sp management though. I mean it is a huge burden off your back but not the be all and end all.

Plus it is fucking expensive
>>
>>379143469
But time efficiency is the core game mechanic of Persona. That's the whole point, you can't do everything, you have to choose. So if you want to clear a dungeon faster you need to be prepared with SP items and use clever tactics to preserve SP. Also, adhesive really helps in long bossfights where you can just spam expensive party buffs.
>>
>>379138656
I like turn based combat, but P5 sold because of the waifus and self-inserting into a highschool life you never had.
>>
File: 1492625298194.png (95KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1492625298194.png
95KB, 512x512px
>>379141447
It's not artificially lengthening the game play you absolute retard. You still go through the same number of in game days regardless of how long it takes to finish a palace. You just take more in game days. It doesn't take any more real life time.
>>
File: 1c8.jpg (8KB, 200x249px) Image search: [Google]
1c8.jpg
8KB, 200x249px
>>379143662
>>
>>379143730
But it is? I just beat Shido yesterday and I never run out of SP even once since I bought my first adhesive.
>it is fucking expensive
No it's not and you can just rush Takemi's confidant to make it even cheaper.
>>
>>379141497
>Literally LITERALLY NO ONE, plays Persona games for the combat
Yeah, they play it for the story, atmosphere, and characters. Just cause the combat isn't the highlight of the game doesn't make it bad.
>>
The only reason I can think of why people would enjoy P5 is because they like inserting themselves into the super cool, trench coat wearing main character with his anime-esque treatment of being crazy unique and special for no apparent reason. That, or these people are lonely, pitiful husks of human beings who play these games for the relationships of fictional characters, at which point you have to wonder why they don't just get off to a visual novel. Unless.. you guys actually think being a "phantom thief" is cool? Did the first arc's gym teacher comedically abusing nips resonate with you on some emotional level? The weaboos of /v/ are really the worst kind of people who act like they have taste in games yet only play masturbatory works with outdated mechanics because of their autistic nostalgia.
>>
>>379143923
>I absolutely can't imagine why millions of people like this!
Go the fuck outside, anon. Talk to real people. Learn to behave like a normal human being again. Jesus.
>>
Darkest Dungeon and LISA had a pretty cool combat.
>>
>>379143881
That is because you are only spamming health-costing spells and healing/buffing spells right? So did I senpai.

Bosses don't usually need SP-consuming spells to win, only mobs. Which is why the person who is originally whining about sp usage refers specifically to clearing the palace not fight the boss

>you can just rush Takemi's confidant to make it even cheaper.
By the second palace? Even with the discount it still costs a lot to me desu
>>
>>379138656
P5's combat is laughably simple. Just get that elephant persona with Offense Master and Swift Strike. It has high speed so you go first in every battle and wipe out the whole enemy party with one attack.
>>
>>379143923
ok
>>
File: 1492681608729.png (157KB, 872x632px) Image search: [Google]
1492681608729.png
157KB, 872x632px
How the fuck do people think SP management is hard in this game? Is this their first JRPG or something?
>Fuse a Persona with Heat Up
>When a Party member uses a good chunk of SP, swap them out
>Futaba recovers them in the background
That's literally all there is to it. Get Heat Up, use all your party members. You don't even need SP Adhesives. I never bought one, and I beat every palace except the first in as few days as physically possible.
>>
>>379144202
>Even with the discount it still costs a lot to me desu
I have no idea how. I had about 150k after Madarame's palace and one adhesive already granted me infinite sp since Joker have pretty much every attack type. Later you can get 200-300k per single mementos run so I fail to see how money is a problem. Actually, money balance is also kinda fucked up in P5. You get too much from the dungeons and rarely need to spend it on anything except fusions.
>>
>>379144541
>as few days as physically possible

If it was more than 1, you're a shitter.
>>
>>379144649
You need to take more than 1 day on a few of them, my dude. Remember? Sometimes you have to change people's cognition in the real world to progress.
>>
>>379144619
Purchasing equipment is really expensive to me.

>Later you can get 200-300k per single mementos run
How long do you spend in Mementos? I get barely 100k in 2hrs coz I don't grind
>>
>>379138656
Turn based is outdated because every game that has it is shallow as fuck, Persona included. People play Persona to watch flashy visuals and live a dream circlejerk or romance.
>>
>>379144881
>Purchasing equipment
Rarely needed because of treasure chests.
>>
Persona 5 is ass though.

It's turn based game mechanic's braindead as fuck since it's even more "lets hit the weakness!" centered than other JRPGs, so the player tactical options are limited that much more due to obvious payoff in weakness hitting. Otherwise as usual, the extended form of JRPG tactical options is far smaller thus less engaging than other non-turn based games.

The dungeon crawling is still mostly very straightforward with no consequence to direction and how they are tackled. Turn based JRPGs are too pussy to have game mechanics outside combat so these will never improve in the genre.

B-but muh story, characters, and artstyle though, right? Nah, this game is full of cliche characters that have very predictable paths of character "development" (if you can even call it that). The whole thing is formulaic and disingenuous. Even the cooler aspects of the artstyle gets bogged down into the more childish, anime-like cliches as well.

The soundtrack is more of that garbage Meguro's been making since Persona 3 (combining hip hop inspired beats with an orchestral backing that ends up sounding like the pathetic attempts of an old fart trying to sound hip but sounds embarrassing instead.) None of the tracks develop past their loops, which is usually a problem with game OSTs in general, but here even worse because rather than a more symphonic sophisticated approach it's just pop music.
>>
>>379145180
You must be really lucky coz I get healing items everytime
>>
>>379138656
Turn based is fine, just don't give me that abomination that FF13 had.
>>
>>379145856
You can farm chests in mementos
>>
>get the confusion skill
>confuse some mini-boss
>it throws money at you
>¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
>>
File: tfw smart.jpg (8KB, 239x211px) Image search: [Google]
tfw smart.jpg
8KB, 239x211px
>tfw talk to people irl
what games do you play anon
>I play turn based RPGs
Sounds boring, I only play games like overwatch and other realtime games, what is turn based stuff, pokemon?
>stare down at phone, brainlets cant handle turn based sophistication
>>
>>379138656
the persona series is literally the only turn based combat game that I have ever enjoyed in my entire life
it's fucking shit if only one series can do it right in 40 years of games
>>
>>379146558
>thinks turn based RPGs braindead grinding takes even an ounce of skill of Overwatch
ADHD beta loser detected.
>>
>>379143923
Yeah and what's wrong with that? Let me have this one thing. I've got nothing else but escapism.

Mishima is literally me.
>>
>>379143730
Doesn't the coffee or curry at Sojiro's that you can make recover SP as well? That doesn't cost any money at all
>>
File: 81o3K0OoYFL.jpg (276KB, 870x1000px) Image search: [Google]
81o3K0OoYFL.jpg
276KB, 870x1000px
>>379138656
A challenger appears
>>
File: different opinions.jpg (38KB, 433x319px) Image search: [Google]
different opinions.jpg
38KB, 433x319px
>>379142169
I find turn-based combat engaging and less stressful than real-time combat I'm Soerry too.
>>
>>379138656
I love turn based combat but lets not pretend anyone bought Weebsona 5 for the combat.
>>
>>379151507
I did
>>
>>379138656
X-com
Phoenix Point say otherwise you cheeky cunt.
>>
Turn based combat still has more depth than a lot of active time based games.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.