[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Morrowind vs Gothic 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

File: Morrowind vs Gothic 2.jpg (585KB, 1276x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind vs Gothic 2.jpg
585KB, 1276x1440px
Which one is the greatest RPG of all time?
>>
Both have bad graphics so they're shit
>>
>>379120069
This. Witcher 3 has better graphics, I fapped to Ciri. Plus you play as bad ass dude with white hair, not some german fag
>>
>>379120005

Morrowind has better quests, better dialogue, and better mechanics.
>>
>it's a Gothic 2 autist thread
>>
>>379120291
>better quests and mechanics
Fuck no.
Morrowind has legitimately the worst mechanics ever in RPGs.
>>
Gothic 2
>>
>>379120005
Gothic 2 is the greatest RPG ever made. Morrowind is the greatest RPG of all time.
>>
Gothic 2

>hand-crafted open world with content everywhere and hidden stuff behind every rock
>better and more complex side quests
>more challenging combat
>Animated NPCs with daily routines
>Fully voiced
>Better character progression
>Better music
>Better world design
>More comfy
>More immersion
>Funny and memorable NPCs
>Memorable main character

Morrowind

>character customization
>more variety of builds
>better main story
>unique lore
>more freedom
>>
The real question is if I havven't played a gothic game before where do I start? Gothic 1 or Gothic 2
>>
>>379120291
>has better quests
Subjective

>better dialogue
Hell no

>better mechanics
Hell no x2

Gothic 2 is better for me because is immersive as fuck, the world actually feels like a breathing living world and overall its a more tight experience than Morrowind

However Morrowind is more about your story about your own character, more chances to make a build and a very expended lore of books and shit.

>>379121042
Are you retarded nigga or just faking it
>>
morrowind because it doesn't have gay retard controls
>>
>>379121042
gothic 2

unless you can stomach fetch quests and outdated everything then play 1, you will benefit a lot from it
>>
>>379120291
>Morrowind has better quests
AHahahahahAHAHAHahaHhahahahahha
*breathes in*
Bwhahahahhahahahhahaha
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2iAX-5CWI
>>
any fixes i need to play Gothic and Gothic II on windows 7?
>>
>>379120792
and witcher 3 is the greatest video game of all time
>>
Gothic II is the closest games have ever came to being art. M
>>
>>379121458
systempack for 1 and systempack and DX11 for 2
>>
File: 1492403538385.gif (504KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492403538385.gif
504KB, 1080x1080px
>>379120291
>better quests
literally mmo tier

>better mechanics
morrowind has terrible mechanics?????

>better dialogue
wikipedia pages are not good dialogue
>>
>>379121654
lmao
>>
>>379121654
Accidentally sent my post through, my apologies. Morrowind is an Offline MMO, and ruined the RPG genre. Every negative aspect of the modern RPG can be traced back to Morrowind.
>>
>>379120792
>tfw Morrowind wasn't made
We CHIM now?
>>
>>379121315
Is there an equivalent of this mod for Gothic 1?
>>
>>379122257
there is but it's broken and glitches the game so you're better of with vanilla graphics
>>
>>379120005
both are boring games for casuals. Low on gameplay, high on 'story' and 'choice.'
>>
>>379123176
Morrowind is heavily based on RNG but Gothic 2 actually takes skill to play.
>>
>>379123176
(you)
>>
>>379120005
I played [game], so [game] is clearly better than [other game]. Anyone who disargrees with me is a faggot.
>>
>>379123307
>rpgs
>skill
>>
>>379120974
more immersion than morrowind? nigga you gay.
>>
>>379123796
Have you even played Gothic 2?

Nobody who has played both gothic 2 and morrowind would say that morrowind is more immersive

It's literally not a matter of opinion, the fact that Gothic 2 is one of the most immersive games and much more immersive than morrowind is a fact
>>
>>379120005
>greatest rpgs ever
>no party system
yeah, no
>>
>>379123915
What makes G2 more immersive? I've played both, and I much prefer Morrowind on that front.
>>
>>379120291
>>Morrowind has better quests, better dialogue, and better mechanics.
I completely disagree.

The strength of Morrowind is its open world and the variety of skills, classes, factions, etc.

However, Gothic 2, albeit smaller in scope, is mechanically much better. The world feels much more alive. The NPCs are more defined and have individual schedules and animations, the AI is more reactive to player behaviour (e.g. NPCs noticing when you enter their homes or draw a weapon on them), the faction quests feel more unique and the world reacts much more believably depending on your faction choice, etc.

Morrowind wins in terms of quantity but Gothic 2 wins in terms of quality.
>>
>>379120291
I'll give you mechanics, Morrowind has a ton of gameplay systems that interact with each other, making for many possible solutions to nearly every problem and it does a good job of accounting for the stats and specializations of all the actors involved. As an RPG that's superb gameplay, although Gothic 2 feels better from an action standpoint and provides more opportunity for you to make up for lack of stats with your own skill as a player.

But the dialogue is seriously awful. I don't even mind all the shared dialogue, given the number of NPCs you can talk to, but what I hate is the dry tone of the majority of it. So many responses sound like they're literally dictating an article from an encyclopedia to you. In fact, if you ask around a city for "services" or "specific place" the response you get is often literally a passage from the guidebook to that city verbatim. Fuck, most servicepeople will even mention themselves in the third person in that response. Only the ashlander lines and a few character specific ones feel in any way like something someone might actually say out loud.

Nearly every line in Gothic 2 is specifically written for the character speaking it, which allows them to add the actual fucking personality to them. Not to mention the full voice acting. Combine that with the NPC schedules and world that meaningfully changes as you progress through the main quest and you have a hundred more immersive game than Morrowind. Khorinis has more personality than the three biggest Morrowind cities combined.
>>
File: aaa.jpg (1MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
1MB, 1440x1080px
Is it really that time to discuss The Greatest RPG Ever Made? If so, what are your favorite mods? Graphical enhancements or no?
>>
Not him, but Gothic 2 is more immersive for a variety of reasons.

First of all, there's the look of the world. Morrowind uses heightmap terrain which comes with certain limitations, namely that the mapping is mathematically well defined, which means that you cannot model overhangs, caves, etc. that would map two spots of terrain in terms of height at the same (x,z) coordinates.
In Gothic, the whole world is one big 3D model, which means that there are no such limitations. Caves, cliffs that overhang, etc. are all possible to be realised within the same world with no loading transition required.
Second due to the fact that the world of Gothic is hand-made it looks a lot more believable and naturally grown, being subject to erosion and anthropogenic modifications than the artificial perlin-noise look that the Morrowind terrain has.
Second, there's the AI. Morrowind NPCs don't really react much and only follow limited schedules while in Gothic every NPC does what you would expect him to do based on his role. The smith forges swords, the carpenter works wood, the priest preaches, etc., and all of these NPCs also react dynamically depending on how you act around them, whether you draw a weapon near them or ready a magic spell, whether you enter their homes or only start sneaking around, and so on.
Gothic is also a masterpiece in terms of storytelling through world-design in terms of showing rather than telling. You find all kinds of little things in the world that tell their little stories. e.g. a cart nearby a road with arrows stuck in and traces of blood, clearly indicating that the owners were robbed by bandits, yet one of the trails of blood leads to a nearby cave where molerats have dragged the remains allowing you to find a corpse and his possessions.
There are lots of such instances. Since everything was uniquely placed, someone put his mind to why things are the way they are and how they fit in the greater picture.
>>
Gothic 2 wins
>>
File: 1482281994091.jpg (26KB, 310x336px) Image search: [Google]
1482281994091.jpg
26KB, 310x336px
>comparing a streamlined action rpg to a traditional tabletop crpg

seriously why do people feverishly debate this when they're barely even comparable? does gothicfag have nothing better to do?
>>
>>379129286
>thinking rpg and crpg are different things

retard spotted
>>
>>379121717
>>379127917

Typical that people don't understand Morrowind's dialogue system. The dialogue depends on the CLASS, it differs which is what gives the game its immersive quality.
>>
Gothic 2's cutscenes freeze on my comp and I don't know if I should play it plus them controls are fucked up senpai but I do own Gothic 2. I'm not a big CRPG fag tho so I'd rather play Skyrim
>>
File: wolf.webm (3MB, 1000x540px) Image search: [Google]
wolf.webm
3MB, 1000x540px
both games came out in 2002 and yet Gothic has creature AI (wolves hunt sheep, and other animals fight each other too), and the NPCs react to animals or enemies around them, the guards will attack bandits or enemy creatures while in Morrowind the guards don't give a fuck if there are bandits or enemy creatures inside the city
>>
>>379129458
lolwhat, please explain
>>
File: 1487192413393.jpg (7KB, 208x206px) Image search: [Google]
1487192413393.jpg
7KB, 208x206px
>>379129375
Morrowind = much more open ended, more traditionally focused on allowing the player complete control over how their character exists and reacts within a fantasy world
Gothic = much smaller scale in terms of role playing opportunity, but much more tightly designed/streamlined because of it

there ya go, don't even have to read through these threads again because this the crux of every fucking boring argument that gets brought up time and time again
>>
Will I be missing any good shit from Gothic 1 and 2 if I only buy 3?
>>
>>379129943
you don't even know what the fuck you're talking about.

cRPG means literally COMPUTER RPG.

It was used back in the day when computer games weren't as popular and tabletop RPGs like dungeon and dragons were the main thing, so when computer games became more popular people called them cRPG so that you know they're talking about computer RPGs and not tabletop RPGs

Then no one cared about tabletop games anymore and people didnt talk about them as much so they just started calling computer games RPG because everybody knew that you were talking about computer games and not tabletop games

This has nothing to do with what the game is like you faggot
>>
>>379129950
>Will I be missing any good shit from Gothic 1 and 2 if I only buy 3?

Gothic 1 and 2 are the best games and Gothic 3 is garbage so this idea is pretty retarded
>>
>>379129785
everytime you post webms of this game it's always the same boring medieval fields

morrowind had an entire island filled with visibly different territories with different factions inhabiting them with an entirely unique alien world

gothic sucks
>>
File: 2 02.05.2017 - 11.54.00.04.png (4MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2 02.05.2017 - 11.54.00.04.png
4MB, 1920x1080px
>>379130539
Gothic 2 has a desert, ancient ruins, a huge swamp, snow land, jungle, and valley of mines which i dont know what you can call it but it's different from Khorinis

And yes morrowind's world was unique and alien but it felt lazy and copy+pasted and it was completely dead, with static NPCs doing nothing, Gothic 2 was a pretty cliche setting but every single piece of it was polished and detailed and it felt alive
>>
>>379129458
I'm the second guy you quoted and I love Morrowind. I also understand its dialogue system very well. The available topics and the responses to those topics do in fact differ based on the NPC's class, race, location, faction, and sometimes even sex. However, these topics are still for the most part shared within those axes. Nobody's going to give you a different response when you ask about the "services" of the town itself, and very few will have a different "latest rumor" to discuss with you than everyone else in town. Every Barbarian and Hunter will give you the same description of the local flora and fauna. Every Mage or Sorcerer will tell you the same thing about the Mages Guild, unless they themselves are a member of it or Telvanni.

If your point is that it's a massive exaggeration to suggest that all of Morrowind's NPCs say the same things, then I'm in complete agreement with you. But the fact is that about half of the total lines of dialogue written for the game are shared among a group of NPCs rather than written specifically for one. Obviously you can't inject much personality into such a generic line of dialogue, since every NPC having the same distinct personality is even worse than them having a blank personality. But surely you can see how having the majority of the dialogue being written in as bland a tone as possible so that it could fit with the most NPCs makes for an extremely shitty experience of actually reading what they say.

Finally, Morrowind is sorely in need of greying out the topics you've heard before. If an NPC doesn't have any new or unique information for me, that needs to be visually displayed in the dialogue window. There's a reason why nearly everyone who's played Morrowind long enough has at least one memory of clicking every single topic to skim for new information or wait for that "journal has been updated" text to tell them they advanced a quest. I normally like reading, but reading all that gets boring as hell.
>>
File: raped.webm (3MB, 1250x702px) Image search: [Google]
raped.webm
3MB, 1250x702px
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.