[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is having a Mario-esque "decent at everything, bad at nothing"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1475675422179.jpg (122KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
1475675422179.jpg
122KB, 1191x670px
Is having a Mario-esque "decent at everything, bad at nothing" character a good idea for multiplayer shooters?
>>
>>379119598
sure
fuck your weird gimmick characters, i just wanna point and shoot
>>
>>379119598
Soldier has always been garbage. As a character he was entirely ignored until Blizzard over-buffed him. Once he outperformed every other character that wasn't a tank, of course he became immensely popular. People like
>>379119867
Just want to win without trying and that's exactly what Blizzard gave them. I've never seen a character patched so hard to appeal to a specific audience than when Blizzard made Soldier the most powerful and easy to use character in the game less than 3 days before the 2016 call of duty release.
>>
>>379119598
Yes. As boring as it is, vanilla is an important flavor to include in your icecream machine
>>
File: 1469856504697.jpg (102KB, 400x370px) Image search: [Google]
1469856504697.jpg
102KB, 400x370px
>>379119598
>a Mario-esque "decent at everything, bad at nothing" character
>TF2 Soldier
>>
>>379119598
Both characters you posted outperform a majority of the characters in their respective games
>>
>>379120517
Honestly, I don't think Soldier 76 was overbuffed as much as other characters were nerfed.

On top of the game trending towards things like the tank meta where there was nothing but giant meat walls poking at each other, and Ana and Lucio ubiquity, where rather than the burst output of someone like McCree or Pharah, his ability to reliably drive damage constantly with no frills behind the safety of tanks was appealing.

It's only when the tank meta finally broke for things like 2/2/2 that you see start seeing more diversity. Tracers in play, Pharah and Mercy taking to the air together again, etc.
>>
>>379119598
Heavy is the tf2 equivalent of solider 76, not the soldier himself
And he's slow, so not bad at nothing
>>
>>379119598
Yes, they appeal to an important audience
>>
File: 1495862610221m.jpg (172KB, 822x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1495862610221m.jpg
172KB, 822x1024px
76 should be only available until you get to level 50 and or reach silver in competitive
>>
I guess the problem is that in a game where you have many different classes to choose from, why have a balanced character when you could just switch classes to suit your needs. I guess like that one anon said some rather just have a package deal sorta character who just has decent stats all around. But really, it just saves time from switching out classes. Then again, you'd have to master each class too so, maybe that's why they have the balance character too.
>>
>>379122279
>soldier should be taken out the game for players who've played more than 3 hours
>>
>>379119598
I don't care, just remove snipers
Fuck snipers.
>>
>>379121961
Soldier and Soldier are both designed to be the easiest to play classes in the game, and middle of the line in everything.

Soldier is durable but not as durable as Heavy, has decent mobility but has to sacrifice ammo and health to ramp up to Scout levels, and has decent offensive output but not on the level of a demo, or other classes in their specific niche.

76 is similar, but the major issue is that compared to TF2, the difference between stat tiers is fairly trivial, and his all-range weapon makes him much more dominant compared to TF2 where almost all combat takes place at mid-to-shotgun range, with only the sniper raving range above that.
>>
>>379122475
Yes. He should be a tutorial.
>>
>>379122467
The thing about these classes is it's more to have someone to be an introductory class until someone's more familiar with the mechanics, the world, other characters, to explore other niches.

It's why high level Soldier play, especially in 6s with pockets and roamers, is so significantly different from Day 1 stuff.
>>
I've had enough of over casualised shooters like TF2 and Overwatch, FPS rebirth when?
>>
>>379125029
Never because of games like Overwatch and TF2.
>>
Mario is more of an easy-to-access character. Not 'balanced'
>>
>>379125321
Goddamn Blizzard and Valve
>>
>>379125029
quake champions?
>>
>>379125029
Just pirate Quake
>>
For a character to learn the game sure. They'll never be competitvely viable though.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.